Start by marking “Zombiesque” as Want to Read:

Zombiesque

From a tropical resort where visitors can become temporary zombies, to a newly-made zombie determined to protect those he loves, to a cheerleader who won't let death kick her off the team, to a zombie seeking revenge for the ancestors who died on an African slave ship-- Zombiesque invites readers to take a walk on the undead side in these tales from a zombie's point of vie ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by DAW Books Inc

To ask other readers questions about Zombiesque, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombiesque

Stewart Tame
Jan 02, 2016 Stewart Tame rated it liked it
Not to be confused with "zombisque," which is a nasty type of soup. As the title implies, this is a collection of short stories about zombies. As with so many anthologies, it's rather a mixed bag. None of these stories are actually bad, but not all are particularly memorable. My favorite is probably Seanan McGuire's "Gimme a 'Z'!" which deals with a zombie cheerleader. Also noteworthy were "Zombie Camp" by Richard Lee Byers, "In the Line of Duty" by Jim C. Hines, "The Warlock's Run" by Jean ...more
S. Taylor
Aug 17, 2011 S. Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy-horror
Yes, I have a story in this book -- but that's not the primary reason I'm reviewing. There are lots of clever little Zombie stories in here (I like the one about the Zombie Cheerleader!), and -- if you like Zombies but are searching for something new, something fresh (or at least less-rotten) -- this is a great place to start.
Indigo
Feb 07, 2011 Indigo rated it it was ok
Sixteen stories.

My favorites were:

Gimme A Z: Seanan McGuire -- I admit to bias as Seanan's a good friend, but her story of a cheerleader waking up as a zombie and going back to see if she could still be on the squad was funny and frightful at the same time.

At First Only Darkness: Nancy A. Collins -- I'm a fan of hers from the Sonja Blue series and this one was just chilling. I was glad it was still broad daylight.

Do No Harm: Tim Waggoner -- This one was kind of sciencey in a different way fro
Bandit
May 24, 2012 Bandit rated it really liked it
The horror market is currently oversaturated with zombies. One needs to really put an original spin on a story in order to make it stand out. This anthology succeeds at that shockingly well, considering that it contains works from mostly not famous writers. The stories are told from zombies' POVs. What if there was life after death...this book has zombie cheerleaders, zombie stunt drivers and others to show us just what that life would be like. So glad I found this book at the library, gives me ...more
Joshua Palmatier
Jun 24, 2011 Joshua Palmatier rated it liked it

Edited by Stephen L. Antczak, James C. Bassett, and Martin H. Greenberg

The main theme of this anthology is to have stories written from the zombie point of view, what it’s like to actually be a zombie and how the zombies fit into society . . . or perhaps change society into something completely different. There’s a wide range of stories here, from the straight forward “I’m in the mindless zombie’s head as it attacks” story, to ones in which the zombies have taken over the world and ref
Mrs Giggles
Oct 21, 2013 Mrs Giggles rated it liked it
It's probably unfair to blame George A Romero for this, but it does seem like ever since he made a career out of making increasingly repetitive and hackneyed zombie movies, every other zombie story that hit the mainstream media needs to be some pretentious parable illustrating the evil of commercialism and human impulses or something like that. The other half are self-conscious parodies that become increasingly unfunny. Everything seems derivative of one another, as if these people fear that, by ...more
Lexie
Apr 17, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-once-owned
DAW anthology collections draw some criticism because they're usually just average in terms of overall talent and enjoyment. Even when 'big names' in certain genre fields have a story involved, readers tend to believe it's not their 'best' work. I'm an anthology lover--I have two whole book shelves dedicated to anthologies in fact, a fair chunk of which is DAW because a lot of these stories aren't reprinted again.

Zombiesque is a better than average anthology however. I enjoyed more of the storie
Jade Lopert
Feb 01, 2016 Jade Lopert rated it it was ok
As is the nature with short story collections, this was a really mixed bag. The premise is pretty rad: Zombie stories told from the perspective of the zombies. I think I just expected a lot more out of this collection and I found it disappointing.

There were some standouts though.

"At First Only Darkness" by Nancy A. Collins
Collins presence in this collection was what made me decide to pick it up. The Sonja Blue trilogy is my favorite take on vampires of all time. Her take on zombies isn't exactly
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
Every second book these days says it's a "fresh take on zombies", but this one actually delivers. The stories are all told from the zombie's POV, yet each is unique and offering some fascinating new possibilities for the genre. I've been dipping in and out of Zombiesque between novels and have yet to finish it, but I'd happily recommend this to horror or zombie aficionados, based purely on the strength of the first few stories.

HIGHLIGHTS
Do No Harm (Tim Waggoner) -WOW. This truly is a fresh take
Holden Attradies
Aug 30, 2013 Holden Attradies rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, zombie, anthology
I picked this up as an impulse buy from a small book store. I actually didn't expect much out of it, mostly because the cover used an image I've seen on at least 3 other low quality zombie books (I assume it's one of the few zombie stock images cheaply available out there). Any ways, I was pleasantly surprised that the writing is here was pretty good.

Most Anthologies I finish feeling like half the stories weren't even worth reading, but I ended this one feeling at least two thirds were so above
Steffanie
Sep 27, 2011 Steffanie rated it it was amazing
Hey! I've never read a book like this before. Well, an anthology. Lots of short stories...all told from the perspective of the zombie!!!!!! I've seen way too much from the human perspective---now let the zombies have their chance. :D

I bought this book because a friend of mine wrote one of the 16 original stories contained. He did an amazing job (awesome story Charles Pinion!!) The other stories were great too. There was such a wide variety of ideas.

Some of them I loved, and some of them I reall
Liis
Jun 23, 2016 Liis rated it really liked it
Zombies, zombies and zombies.
All the short stories are different, some were funny as hell, but others creeped me out, and quite a lot for that matter, which is also what made "Zombiesque" so awesome.
It's a good read if you love zombies, also if you're kind of scared of them , as am I, it's probably a good read even if you don't care about them. It addresses a few moral issues we have nowadays and makes you wonder...if you had a chance to turn into a zombie after you die, would you do it?
Also, w
Carien
Mar 25, 2011 Carien rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
I love anthologies and I love zombies, so this anthology is perfect for me. There's a great mix of stories in this book: from sad to disturbing and from beautiful to horrific. But all these stories have one thing in common: they have real zombies! No lovesick teenage zombies who could just as well have been human or things like that. The zombies in this book crave brains, blood, revenge and stuff. And that's how I like to see it!

My personal favourites:
- At First Only Darkness by Nancy A. Collins
Nathan Miller
Dec 28, 2015 Nathan Miller rated it really liked it
By now, we're all so familiar with the Zombie Apocalypse that we could fight it in our sleep, right? But how are things for the zombies? I mean, zombies are...um, were...people, too! This anthology is a collection of zombie stories...from the point of view of the zombies!

I won't say it represents all kinds of zombies, but I think it's pretty safe to say that there's at least one story in here for each general kind of zombie. As you might expect, many of them are a bit on the pessimistic side. A
Fiona
Jul 02, 2016 Fiona rated it it was ok
Shelves: botns-bingo-2016
I got this book when zombies were having A Moment, but didn't get around to reading it until now. It's got a good hook- zombie stories, from the zombie POV! -but the success of the execution, like with many anthologies, varies per story. My favorites: Seanan McGuire's Gimme A "Z", Nancy Holder's Zombie Zero, Jean Rabe's The Warlock's Run.
Jenn
May 07, 2016 Jenn rated it liked it
I seem to be on a zombie kick lately. It's the only paranormal type of book I can read. Never mind that I have dozens of vampire books hanging around. Only zombies seem to do it for me. These short stories were fairly decent and I only skipped through three of them. I think they must have been given a set of zombie rules as there were quite a few reoccurring zombie themes (brains, regeneration etc). Not a bad book just wasn't as thrilling as I thought it would be.
Jess
Jun 30, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok
Wow this was kind of horrible. The only reason I read the whole thing was because I was babysitting and literally had nothing else better to do. All the stories were pretty generic and boring, and the worst was definitely "Gimme a 'Z'!" What the hell. That was the kind of shit I wrote when I was 15.

I did like "In the Line of Duty" though. It gets 2 stars instead of 1 just for that.
Toby
Apr 30, 2015 Toby rated it liked it
An interesting mixed bag of zombie shirt stories that take a different approach from the traditional. The zombies of this compilation are, to different extents, conscious and retain some intelligence.

There were some pretty good stories in here, and once again Seanan McGuire stands out with her writing, but there were also a few that I didn't really get anything out of at all.
G.K. Hayes
Oct 28, 2012 G.K. Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Some excellent stories from a unique perspective. I'm not sure what I expected from this anthology, even though I have a story in here, but I believe it covered all the bases and more. Some stories will make you laugh, some will make you cry, some will make you retch (in a good way ;-). It is close to Halloween as I write this, what better time to think about reading good zombie stories?
LinBee
Some of the stories are an interesting take on Zombie "lifestyles" or stories. I found most of the stories boring or just plain weird. Not my favorite.
Steven Allen
Oct 13, 2015 Steven Allen rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-kept
I did not enjoy this book of short tales from the zombie's perspective. Some of the stories are better than others, but none of them particularly I liked.
Emily
Fave stories were Tim Waggoner's "Do No Harm," Seanan McGuire's "Gimme a 'Z'!", and Jim C. Hines' "In the Line of Duty."
Yayis Ortiz
Yayis Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2012
Maria MmCrary
Maria MmCrary rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Jason Law
Jason Law rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
YAYRABILSON
YAYRABILSON rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • The Rage Plague
  • After Life
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • The Raven (Jane Harper Horror Novels, #2)
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • The Living Dead 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
  • Deadfall