3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  21 reviews
From a tropical resort where visitors can become temporary zombies, to a newly-made zombie determined to protect those he loves, to a cheerleader who won't let death kick her off the team, to a zombie seeking revenge for the ancestors who died on an African slave ship-- Zombiesque invites readers to take a walk on the undead side in these tales from a zombie's point of vie...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by DAW Books Inc

S. Taylor
Aug 17, 2011 S. Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy-horror
Yes, I have a story in this book -- but that's not the primary reason I'm reviewing. There are lots of clever little Zombie stories in here (I like the one about the Zombie Cheerleader!), and -- if you like Zombies but are searching for something new, something fresh (or at least less-rotten) -- this is a great place to start.
Joshua Palmatier

Edited by Stephen L. Antczak, James C. Bassett, and Martin H. Greenberg

The main theme of this anthology is to have stories written from the zombie point of view, what it’s like to actually be a zombie and how the zombies fit into society . . . or perhaps change society into something completely different. There’s a wide range of stories here, from the straight forward “I’m in the mindless zombie’s head as it attacks” story, to ones in which the zombies have taken over the world and ref...more
Indigo
Sixteen stories.

My favorites were:

Gimme A Z: Seanan McGuire -- I admit to bias as Seanan's a good friend, but her story of a cheerleader waking up as a zombie and going back to see if she could still be on the squad was funny and frightful at the same time.

At First Only Darkness: Nancy A. Collins -- I'm a fan of hers from the Sonja Blue series and this one was just chilling. I was glad it was still broad daylight.

Do No Harm: Tim Waggoner -- This one was kind of sciencey in a different way fro...more
Bandit
The horror market is currently oversaturated with zombies. One needs to really put an original spin on a story in order to make it stand out. This anthology succeeds at that shockingly well, considering that it contains works from mostly not famous writers. The stories are told from zombies' POVs. What if there was life after death...this book has zombie cheerleaders, zombie stunt drivers and others to show us just what that life would be like. So glad I found this book at the library, gives me...more
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
Every second book these days says it's a "fresh take on zombies", but this one actually delivers. The stories are all told from the zombie's POV, yet each is unique and offering some fascinating new possibilities for the genre. I've been dipping in and out of Zombiesque between novels and have yet to finish it, but I'd happily recommend this to horror or zombie aficionados, based purely on the strength of the first few stories.

HIGHLIGHTS
Do No Harm (Tim Waggoner) -WOW. This truly is a fresh take...more
Mrs Giggles
It's probably unfair to blame George A Romero for this, but it does seem like ever since he made a career out of making increasingly repetitive and hackneyed zombie movies, every other zombie story that hit the mainstream media needs to be some pretentious parable illustrating the evil of commercialism and human impulses or something like that. The other half are self-conscious parodies that become increasingly unfunny. Everything seems derivative of one another, as if these people fear that, by...more
Lexie
DAW anthology collections draw some criticism because they're usually just average in terms of overall talent and enjoyment. Even when 'big names' in certain genre fields have a story involved, readers tend to believe it's not their 'best' work. I'm an anthology lover--I have two whole book shelves dedicated to anthologies in fact, a fair chunk of which is DAW because a lot of these stories aren't reprinted again.

Zombiesque is a better than average anthology however. I enjoyed more of the storie...more
Holden Attradies
I picked this up as an impulse buy from a small book store. I actually didn't expect much out of it, mostly because the cover used an image I've seen on at least 3 other low quality zombie books (I assume it's one of the few zombie stock images cheaply available out there). Any ways, I was pleasantly surprised that the writing is here was pretty good.

Most Anthologies I finish feeling like half the stories weren't even worth reading, but I ended this one feeling at least two thirds were so above...more
Steffanie
Hey! I've never read a book like this before. Well, an anthology. Lots of short stories...all told from the perspective of the zombie!!!!!! I've seen way too much from the human perspective---now let the zombies have their chance. :D

I bought this book because a friend of mine wrote one of the 16 original stories contained. He did an amazing job (awesome story Charles Pinion!!) The other stories were great too. There was such a wide variety of ideas.

Some of them I loved, and some of them I reall...more
Carien
I love anthologies and I love zombies, so this anthology is perfect for me. There's a great mix of stories in this book: from sad to disturbing and from beautiful to horrific. But all these stories have one thing in common: they have real zombies! No lovesick teenage zombies who could just as well have been human or things like that. The zombies in this book crave brains, blood, revenge and stuff. And that's how I like to see it!

My personal favourites:
- At First Only Darkness by Nancy A. Collins...more
Liis
Zombies, zombies and zombies.
All the short stories are different, some were funny as hell, but others creeped me out, and quite a lot for that matter, which is also what made "Zombiesque" so awesome.
It's a good read if you love zombies, also if you're kind of scared of them , as I am, it's probably a good read even if you don't care about them. It adresses a few moral issues we have nowadays and makes you wonder...if you had a chance to turn into a zombie after you die, would you do it?
Also, wh...more
G.K. Hayes
Oct 28, 2012 G.K. Hayes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Some excellent stories from a unique perspective. I'm not sure what I expected from this anthology, even though I have a story in here, but I believe it covered all the bases and more. Some stories will make you laugh, some will make you cry, some will make you retch (in a good way ;-). It is close to Halloween as I write this, what better time to think about reading good zombie stories?
Jess
Wow this was kind of horrible. The only reason I read the whole thing was because I was babysitting and literally had nothing else better to do. All the stories were pretty generic and boring, and the worst was definitely "Gimme a 'Z'!" What the hell. That was the kind of shit I wrote when I was 15.

I did like "In the Line of Duty" though. It gets 2 stars instead of 1 just for that.
Maria
I'm just glad I'm done. this was so boring and unpleasant I wish I hadn't bothered to pick it up.
LinBee
Some of the stories are an interesting take on Zombie "lifestyles" or stories. I found most of the stories boring or just plain weird. Not my favorite.
Steven Allen
I did not enjoy this book of short tales from the zombie's perspective. Some of the stories are better than others, but none of them particularly I liked.
Emily
Fave stories were Tim Waggoner's "Do No Harm," Seanan McGuire's "Gimme a 'Z'!", and Jim C. Hines' "In the Line of Duty."
Some really great stories in here!
Larry
Some good stories, some not so good.
Bamboo
Bamboo added it
Jul 17, 2014
Jenelle
Jenelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Brittiani Lynn
Brittiani Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Geka
Geka marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Inès
Inès marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Apocalypse Whenever: Zombies que? 13 45 Sep 14, 2011 09:27PM
Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables God Drug The Oracle Paradox Daydreams Undertaken The Z-Files! An X-Files Parody