Start by marking “Enemy Games (Enemy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Enemy Games (Enemy, #2)

Enemy Games (Enemy #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Kidnapped while combating a devastating plague, Jayleia Durante fights to resist the attractive Major Damen Sindrivik, an officer from a rival government’s spy corps. But with her spymaster father missing, and mercenaries hot on her trail, Jayleia must join forces with the magnetic, charming and manipulative spy. She must see past her desire and remember that his single-mi...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Berkley Trade (first published March 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Enemy Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy Games

Katie(babs)
Jayleia Durante’s father Zaine has been accused of treason, where it’s believed he’s been providing the Targreth Federated Council’s enemy information. He’s disappeared and his daughter has now become a target. Jayleia is a scientist uninterested in intergalactic politics, but when she’s kidnapped by Major Damen Sindrivik, who a year ago hijacked her ship and took it over, she has no choice but to find out where her father is hiding and what information he knows. Damen wants to protect Jayleia s...more
Deb Sanders
I’ve sat here for an hour trying to decide how I feel about this book. I’m not even sure how to describe it, so I’ll start with what it isn’t. Enemy Games IS NOT a hard core romance. Nor is it a standard thriller, paranormal or fantasy although there are some pretty strange characters that lunge from the page.

Enemy Games IS a Sci-Fi/Futuristic tale full of intrigue. Ms. Burnard obviously spent a lot of time on world building and yet I was a little confused in the beginning. Rather than weave in...more
Bookaholics
Enemy Games by Marcella Burnard
Futuristic Romance –May 3rd, 2011
4 ½ stars

Enemy Games by Marcella Burnard picks off from her from her first futuristic book, Enemy Within. Both have a captivating characters and amazingly developed world building. Futuristic fans will love this book even more than the first!

In this book, the heroine is a colleague and friend of the heroine in the first book. Her name is Jayleia Durante and she is half Swovjiti. Jayleia’s father is a powerful man who has disappeared...more
Leah
Good, but not as good as the first one.

I love Jayleia and Damen as a couple. They weren't annoying (other than the ol' "I'll sacrifice myself for you!" "NO, I'll sacrifice myself for YOU!" business). I really liked how the author portrayed their cultures as very separate with different traditions, mating rituals, and cultural norms. It was very well done and I enjoyed seeing them get accustomed to each other.

The parts I didn't like -- the plot! I didn't read the first in this series THAT long ag...more
Jeanne
I really liked this second installment in the series and I hope that there are more coming. The background story continues on from the first book and remains strong and this book follows two of the characters from the first book (we didn't know these two had noticed each other, but that worked for me). The only problem I had was that my favorite character in the story (present in both books) was killed (well, we never see a body and I suppose there is a way around that given that it is the futur...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Wow- so much going on. This was a slower read for me, I had to go back and re-read certain parts. *Lots* of action. More information would have been helpful in regards to culture. For example, the Swovjiti warriors/the Temple/High Priestess- Jayleia takes a vow of celibacy- required for all warriors? Or just the women? I didn't like how much Jay blamed herself for certain events in the book.
Overall, interesting. Recommended for those that like science-fiction with some romance.
Madhellena
I guess the story lost its shine. First of all, I didn't like the heroes - either male or female.
Most of all, I HATED the storyline. I can't give it less that 3 stars because it's an exciting book, well written and original, but I really hated the story from half-point on (with the insects).
Besides, there is a tiny bit of a problem with this hive mind - why are the bad guys connected to each-other and not the good guys? They are the same species and they shouldn't be able to go against the hive...more
Sandra Allan
Great read. Forgotten how much I loved a good sci fi. Wonderful emotive characters. Great world building.
Buka
I don't know why but I've been craving some good sf romances lately and "Enemy's Games" does deliver healthy doses of not ridiculous science and an exciting romantic subplot. The book has it's strenghs - it has an interesting plot that doesn't lean heavily on romantic aspect, there are good scenes and it makes you care about what happens.
I didn't find the language exceptional but neither was it bad. Although, you can make a drinking game out of all times when somebody sucked a deep/audible/etc....more
Sandra
3.5 stars I enjoyed this one, although it wasn't quite as good as the first. I wasn't sure how I felt early on, because they seemed to go from "I'm going to trick/seduce her into giving me information" to "I love her" way too quickly. But a lot happened after that, and I was definitely won over. While the basic romance was the same as the last one, ie: kidnap/rescue girl, have strong attraction but no trust, gain trust but than lose trust, and of course HEA. The world-building continued to be wo...more
gert
full disclosure: i'm literally 75% through the book, and just don't have the energy or motivation to finish it. even after all the work i put in getting this far.

yes, there's a romance-ish. or at least, there's a h/h. and props to the author for detailed, multi-level world building. there's a lot going on in this story - political intrigue, revolution, etc. etc.

but that's sort of the problem for me. i had a hard time keeping all of these disparate factions straight. as a matter of fact, you jump...more
Carien
I've been looking forward to reading this book ever since reading Enemy Within, the first book in this series. And I can tell you this book was worth the wait.

Burnard manages to mix Scifi, adventure, suspense and romance into a thrilling tale that has you hooked from the start. The world building in this book is excellent and the plot is fast paced and intricate, which makes that you have to keep paying attention or you will easily lose track of what's going on. The romance and action storylines...more
Kathy Horsman
What I loved about this book?

Constant action. This book doesn't take a breathe from the very first page to the very last one. There's all the sci-fi glitz in it you could ask for: star-ships, technology etc. Plus you have the whole universes to play out the plot within. I also liked the two main characters together. I thought they played off each other nicely and the romance wasn't an insta-love "let's do it right away" kind of love story, which was refreshing.

That being said, I did feel like I...more
Sandra
2.5 stars. At first I was a little annoyed with the romance because of the whole "I will seduce you into giving information" and the cant wait to "break" you (with sex) attitude of the hero as I dont find manipulation at all sexy or romantic. But once I got a feel for him as a different alien predator species - about when Jay gave him her blood. And his reaction to that made me happier about the whole thing because at that point I felt his feelings were real and Jay was more important to him tha...more
Melissa Villano
this book was really good. didnt expect it to be as good as it was.
Melinda
I am really enjoying this author! This books are fantastic. I love the characters, the story, the action, the romance . . . ah, everything. I can't wait for the next book to see what happens next.

The only thing I didn't like in this book was losing a character from the 1st book and partway into this one. I was really bumming! Guess I can hope that he's not really gone and will make a come back. Sigh!

I do hate waiting for a really good series.

I highly recommend these books. Pick em up and I hope...more
Bianca Gogos
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and could not put it down! There were so many twists and turns, so many enemies and new allies, all very suspenseful. I loved how Burnard evolved the love between Jayleia and Damen. Both characters are so complex and have so many different people and organizations depending on them, yet it all made sense. I will definitely continue to read any and all of Marcella Burnard's books. She brings a technical size to the romance which is new.
Yvette
I'm not sure about the page count - my paperback ends on page 346 and there's no additional pages at the end. The last line reads:

"Damen laughed, hope and exultation in the sound."

Is that really where the book ends? I wasn't sure.

Anyway, call me crazy but I like this one better than the first. I think Mrs. Burnard is on a roll!

Man, maybe I should change that to five stars.... hell. I believe I will!
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jun 11, 2011 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Enemy Games is an action-packed science fiction romance. I was engaged from the first few pages. While this book can stand alone reading Enemy Within (book 1) acquaints the reader with this futuristic world and it's conflicts. The romance aspect was a little weak at times but much stronger than in the first novel. If you enjoy Linnea Sinclair you may want to give this author a try.
Bibliolatry Me
Here's what Kelly has to say on Enemy Games "If you are looking for a good complex story in a futuristic world, with a tad of romance mixed in, you may enjoy this book. If you are looking for some hard core romance though, you might want to move on." To see more of her review click on Nocturne Romance Reads link at http://www.nocturnereads.com/Enemy-Ga...
Deyara
Good, quite liked the characters and the story though Damen was a bit annoying which was sad as I liked him a lot in Enemy Within. The romance was a bit better this time, and there was a fair bit of action.
Janine Southard
I couldn't finish this one, which is a shame because the first novel in this series was magnificent.

But this second novel in the same universe...it's all cliches and melodrama and poorly executed descriptions of feelings. :(

For sure, though, I'm still keeping my eye out for #3. The brilliance of book 1 cannot be refuted.
Victoria Pond
I couldn't finish this one, which is a shame this series was magnificent.

Karin
The long-awaited sequel! I think I enjoyed this story even more than the first book. Maybe because I actually remembered who some of the characters were from the first one! Again, I found the story intriguing and action-packed. And again I hope there is another in this series.
Helen
I enjoyed this book although I found the action rather confusing at times - much as the heroine does. Several story lines were left hanging - to be resolved in further book/s?. The main romance gets a HFN but did seem rather rushed, almost too much happened for the books length.
Trina
Still love the fast-pace, ripped roaring action and the unpredictability in which Burnard writes. I must've blinked a couple times, because I was lost and gotten left behind...

Looking forward to more!
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I loved the first in the Enemy series and I solidly liked this second book. A couple of rough edges and really unexplored opportunities, but all-in-all a very nice space romance romp. (Warning: Adult-Level Romance)
Donna
I'll admit, I was getting a little confused towards the end, and the characters seemed to accept gross bodily invasion with more equanimity than I would, but I was enjoying the ride enough to go along.
Circuit
Aw...what the hell. It was in the library so why the hell not. The previous one was fun so ... here we go. In the end eeee. I guess OK. It wasn't horrible but I was bored a bit.
Jeffe Kennedy
Loved this story! A complex tale of spies and wars between species, reminiscent of Speaker for the Dead in places - but with sex and romance. Win!
  • Collision Course (8th Wing #1)
  • Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1)
  • Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #4)
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition, #1)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • The Key
Marcella Burnard graduated from Cornish College of the Arts with a degree in acting. She writes science fiction romance for Berkley Sensation. Her first book, Enemy Within won the Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice award for Best Futuristic of 2010. The second book in the series, Enemy Games, released on May 3, 2011. An erotica novella, Enemy Mine, set in the same world as the novels was released as...more
More about Marcella Burnard...
Enemy Within (Enemy, #1) Nightmare Ink (Living Ink, #1) Enemy Mine (Enemy, #2.5) Bound by Ink (Living Ink, #2) The Mammoth Book of Futuristic Romance