Grant Writing for Dummies

Grant Writing for Dummies

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Grant Writing For Dummies, 3rd Edition serves as a one-stop reference for readers who are new to the grant writing process or who have applied for grants in the past but had difficulties. It offers 25 percent new and revised material covering the latest changes to the grant writing process as well as a listing of where to apply for grants. Grant writers will find: The late...more
Published January 23rd 2009 by For Dummies (first published February 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Grant Writing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grant Writing for Dummies

Tamara
As with all dummies books, this gave me a good idea of the "rules" of grants and where to start looking for information.

I do wish that they separated this out in to the process of looking for available grants and the process of actually applying for grants. The two processes together are extremely daunting! One thing at a time!

And btw, it is very disconcerting when books reference going to your public library for information when we do not actually have information to give. As a librarian, I ha...more
Max Renn
I was right there with you all when you said to me "i cant believe you of all people are reading one of those dummies books." All I can say is that the woman at the grant foundation told me this was THE best book to read as an introduction to grant writing and I may be many things but one thing I'm not is fool enough to argue with a specialist when they share the knowledge I asked them for.

I'm tempted to feel the same way about this book. Written clearly and concisely with a friendly tone, I did...more
Ke Huang
The main audience of this book are American nonprofit organizers, but its content is nevertheless relevant for any kind of expository writing (e.g. personal statements, CVs, job applications, etc.). There are plenty of examples, tips for resources and one of my favorite mnemonic device for better writing is SMART:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time bound

Maybe my only complaint is that the cartoons dividing the sections weren't funny.
Lindsay
I hate the Dummies series on principle, but this had some useful information. Most of the projects Browning uses as examples are a lot larger in scope than the grant I'm currently working on, but much of the information was transferrable, and I'll be referring back to this book as I work my way through the application.
Alexandra Chauran
As with all the dummies books, this one was straight-forward and light reading. I actually think it almost had too many practical examples. That said, it sets people up with plenty of tools for writing grants. I wish that there was a chapter that was specific for writing grants for individuals.
christina
Up until now I have stubbornly refused out of pure loathing for the premise, for the name really i guess, to read any for dummies... books.

But this one does really look like an excellent book on the topic, and I trust shane to be highly discriminating, so here goes...
Mary
Jan 06, 2009 Mary marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
There is a new edition of this out and I am sending this one back to the library, I hadn't gotten all that far anyway, and will wait for the new edition to be available.
Robert Fischer
Recommended to me by someone who works in nonprofits — one of the most singularly useful books they've encountered on the topic.
Kristin
Part 2 of my rhetorical analysis material...
PWRL
Sep 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Crystal S
Crystal S marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Violet
Violet added it
Aug 22, 2014
farzaneh .p
farzaneh .p marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Dhruvi
Dhruvi marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Tyler Meyer
Tyler Meyer is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Dang
Dang marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Aimee
Aimee added it
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Grant Writing for Educators: Practical Strategies for Teachers, Administrators, and Staff (Solutions) How to Become a Grant Writing Consultant Faith-Based Grants: Aligning Your Church to Receive Abundance Getting Grants Funded In Your Community: A Workbook For Grantseekers Fundraising With The Corporate Letter Request