Start by marking “Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)” as Want to Read:
Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)

Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  14,168 Ratings  ·  377 Reviews
2001 Christy Award finalist!
Unveiled is the story of Tamar, one of the women in the lineage of Jesus. Francine brings the story to life in her trademark style, showing the grace of God in the life of Tamar and her father-in-law, Judah. Unveiled is the first in the Lineage of Grace series of five novellas covering the stories of Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary.
Published May 1st 2000 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published April 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Unveiled, please sign up.

Courtney Hall I also feel that the book is appropriately categorized as "Christian." Although the story of Tamar is in the Old Testament, the Old Testament…moreI also feel that the book is appropriately categorized as "Christian." Although the story of Tamar is in the Old Testament, the Old Testament comprises more than half of the Bible, which is the religious text of Christianity. This particular series by Francine Rivers highlights women within the lineage of Jesus. It would be inappropriate to categorize any book in this series as "Jewish" because the Jewish religion does not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Additionally, the term "Biblical" could be used to accurately describe any story taking place within the Bible - Old or New Testaments - so it would not be more descriptive than "Christian."(less)

Tandra
Jul 06, 2012 Tandra rated it it was amazing
I picked up this novella by chance from the free table at my local library, and I am so glad I did. I've never really read a novelization of biblical stories before, but I'm going to have to get the rest in this series.

Unveiled is a beautiful and uplifting story about the Canaanite woman Tamar, who was married to the great-grandsons of Abraham and the daughter-in-law of Judah. Although Christianity is often disparaged for the poor treatment and bland roles of women, this novelization points out
Cortney
Dec 26, 2008 Cortney rated it it was amazing
This book was great...a quick read as well. It is a fictional story based on scripture regarding Joseph's brother Judah. I enjoy Francine Rivers writing because she does studies at the end of her books and states this is her perception based on scripture.
There is a series of these books of women in the Bible. I can't wait to read the next one!
Shelly
Jul 16, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I had never studied Tamar. I could not put this down.
Ruby
Sep 18, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
My local librarian was reading this and told me it was great. it was her first Christian fiction book and might be my first too. Francine Rivers does an excellent job keeping the reader captivated with the story. It was a fast paced book. The Bible reference she bases the whole story from is in Genesis 37,& 38. The foundation is solid in my opinion. She adds a bible study at the end. I found it very interesting she also added a genealogy chart for Jesus the Christ and explains that the five ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jun 25, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing
In the Bible there are many accounts of lives that are summarized in only a few short verses. It's easy to read them and keep going without giving them much thought. I am not saying that we need to read more into them then is there, but there are times we don't really meditate on the passage to the fullest. Francine Rivers takes a passage like that and turns it into a novel that explores what MIGHT have been. Remember, this is fiction based on a few facts...so while the skeleton may be truth, th ...more
Katie
Feb 16, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I picked this book up and when I had a few hours to wait this afternoon, and was delighted with this little novella. It made for an easy read -- I finished it in one sitting -- and yet it had a lot of heart behind it, too.

I have always been intrigued about Tamar's story in the bible. I often wonder what she must've been thinking as she was given first to Er, then to Onan, and then promised to the youngest son...but the promise was never fulfilled. Francine Rivers view of how this young woman mig
Caroline
Auntie
Sep 17, 2013 Auntie rated it it was amazing
Our new little Book Club decided to read this Francine Rivers biography of the Biblical figure, Tamar, the hapless daughter-in-law of Judah (the older brother of Joseph (coat of many colors fame.)I had previously discounted this little series of books as worth my time and money. I was SO WRONG!

Francine Rivers works her magic to help us to see a woman that God chose, as He walked the hallway of human history, to show us how to persevere and to ultimately delight in learning to trust in the God o
Adrienna
Unveiled: Tamar's story of being unloved but not forgotten. It was believed that she had a curse on her husbands, or the first two line of Hebrew men since it was there custom on both sides (Canaanite and Hebrew Jew) to marry next male child in line if your first husband dies. She had to dress and become a harlot to get what was rightfully hers; to carry the seed of her husband. It showed disobedience can be life-threatening, but she held on to the promise regardless of the lie Judah told her in ...more
Sherri Hayes
Mar 22, 2014 Sherri Hayes rated it it was amazing
It is a good thing that i wear waterproof eye makeup! I listened to the last section of this book on my to to work. Although this book is mostly fiction in the dialog and some of the storyline, the core of it is 100% scripture.
This is a great story of a strong, courageous, and righteous young Canaanite woman who found a great faith in the Unseen God of Abraham. Isaac, and Jacob. it is also a remarkable and wonderful story of the redemption of a man named Judah .
I love the way Francine uses scrip
Tatuu
Jan 15, 2013 Tatuu rated it it was amazing
"Tamar. Her name meant date palm. It was a name given to one who would become beautiful and graceful. A date palm survives the desert and bears sweet, nourishing fruit, and the girl came from a fertile family. A date palm sways in the desert winds without breaking or being uprooted, and this girl had to face Ers quick, irascible temper. A date palm could survive a hostile environment, and Judah knew Bathshua would see this girl as her rival. Judah knew his wife would pit herself against this you ...more
Leslie Reed
Jun 28, 2015 Leslie Reed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-2015
Francine Rivers does it again. She is truly my favorite Christian author. She can retell a bible story to make it come alive. I enjoy the biblical history of her books so much! Tamar lived a difficult life, but she didn't let it consume her. She dealt with daily struggles and seemed to find answers through the one true God.
Mischelle Andrade
Mar 19, 2017 Mischelle Andrade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
what an amazing fictional account of Tamar. This was a quick read and I love the authors writing style. I read this for a book club and so glad I did. can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Courtney
This story was completely out of my comfort zone, and I normally would not have read this story just because. This novel was picked for one of the groups I am apart of, and I could not be happier that it was for this book was so inspiring. The fact that this novel was based on Non-Fiction, Biblical Truth; it was awe-inspiring and really brought everything to life from that time period in today's language. A must read. Highly recommended.
Kari Greenaway
Mar 03, 2017 Kari Greenaway rated it it was amazing
This book was an enjoyable and fast read. I felt myself caught up in the story and by the end of it wishing I had the courage and insight that Tamar had. I was able to easily imagine in my mind the scenery and story as it unfolded. I cheered for her and for her Father in law throughout and I learned lessons along the way.

I find it uplifting when I see others turning to the Lord for guidance and acting as role-models for future generations.

Nina
In the bible Tamar is only mentioned once in 1st Mose 38, so one does not really get to know her story. Francine Rivers tells it as it could have happened by considering the ancient customs and the circumstances of life of this period.

This book is dedicated to all people who are being
used and abused and to all people who yearn for rightousness since the
central figure, Tamar, had to suffer a difficult fate but
never gave up her hope.

It's hard to believe that she could have stayed so kind and patie
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
Like the other Francine Rivers' books I have read, Unveiled brings light to a person in the Bible, getting me to think about them in more than a two-dimensional fashion. This was true of Gomer's story in Redeeming Love and also to some degree with Tamar in this book. I admit that I never considered why Tamar made the choices she did in Judah's family. She simply fell into a little box in my head of "bad people making bad choices." Simplistic, I know. Rivers skillfully points out the many sinful ...more
Madeleine Treschitta
Jun 16, 2013 Madeleine Treschitta rated it it was amazing
Tamar's story is truly moving in so many ways. It grabs the reader right from the beginning and gives us a first hand look at what a woman's life was like back then. We see how God guides Tamar's life and helps Tamar. It is inspiring to see a woman who came up in a different religion and culture have so much faith in the God of the Hebrews. God sees her faith and persistence in finding Him, so He protects Tamar and saves her from her evil husbands and mother in law. At the end of the book, we ca ...more
Tracy
Nov 03, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: women-personal, bible
Another Lineage of Grace reread! I can read and reread anything Francine Rivers writes. This novella is the first of the Lineage of Grace series, although, I think I read them out of order both times. These novella do stand alone if the reader doesn't have all four.
Unveiled is the Bible history of Judah, Er, Onan and Tamar retold in narrative fiction format. Mrs. Rivers has a wonderful ability to bring the facts of the Bible and make them come alive with cultural and characters true to the time
L
I had always thought this was one of the saddest and strangest stories in the OT. Francine Rivers offers a portrayal of Tamar in this novel that lessened the strangest and explained why Tamar might have made the decision she did as far as tricking Judah. Rivers also painted a very logical picture of the guilt Judah had carried all his life for what he allowed to happen to his brother Joseph. Another novella in the Lineage of Grace series.
Joanie Standridge
Feb 01, 2014 Joanie Standridge rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book! It is an excellent read! I love how Francine Rivers really fleshes out this story. When reading the Bible, it sometimes seems so dry and quick when reading the history. But this author really brings the story to life. There is so much detail and the characters and their emotions see so life-like...this fiction story makes the true story so much more relatable. Love it! Going to continue reading through this series...
Lori
Apr 09, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
An interesting Christian historical fiction based on Gen 38. Reading this made me really appreciate not just the freedoms but the respect woman have in the area of the world I have lived. I absolutely can not imagine what it must have been like to be a woman at that time. To be treated worse than an animal in many ways. Nothing in my world could even touch the depth of sorrow, betrayal, grief and loneliness that these woman endured.
Celestial
Dec 14, 2014 Celestial rated it did not like it
This was not the most interesting book I've read. But of course this isn't one of my favorite Bible stories.
Rachel
Sep 02, 2009 Rachel added it
Really liked it. She did a great job at telling the story of Tamar as she saw it. I can tell she did a ton of Bible digging also.
Angela
Oct 24, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting and I learned a lot, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, there are better books out there.

It was ok but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, she has better books that she's written. Loved her redeeming love book
Bobbi O'neal
Feb 18, 2017 Bobbi O'neal rated it it was amazing
The was the first Christian Historical Fiction book I have ever read. It was great. Brought so much life to the story. I look forward to reading the next one in the series.
Mischelle Andrade
What a beautiful story.

I really enjoyed learning about Tamar. What a strong woman she was. And loyal. Can't wait to start book 2.
Darrell McCauley
Oct 15, 2016 Darrell McCauley rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
My first Francine Rivers audiobook. My teen daughter (who usually only pays attention to her earbuds) was caught listening and wanted to keep listening after we parked in the driveway. Encouraging.
Ivie Isler
Jan 13, 2015 Ivie Isler rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Many readers know Francine Rivers from her book Redeeming Love. I enjoyed that book so much that I picked up Unveiled: Tamar thinking it would be along the same lines. It is different from Redeeming Love in that it is not a parallel story based on the same bible plot points but with different characters, but rather a direct interpretation from the bible told from Tamara's point of view.

I didn't know who Tamara was, so a book about her and her importance made me want to read it, especially if she
Wren | WrensReads
Honestly, I love Francine Rivers’ writing with all my heart.

She is so on FIRE for Christ and you can see that buried in her words.

This series is an interesting one that I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about the Bible and those stories about women. She puts her own twist on her versions on this story, but she doesn’t take out any truth to the story. What I mean by that is even though we don’t know it happened the way she wrote it, doesn’t mean it didn’t actually happen the way
Sisters in Christ...: Unveiled: Tamar // March 2017 11 36 Mar 17, 2017 06:32PM
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings, #3)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • Walks The Fire (Prairie Winds, #1)
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Brothers (Legacies of the Ancient River #2)
  • Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women
  • As Time Goes By (The Californians, #2)
  • Hadassah: One Night With the King
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • Journey to the Well
  • Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy - Member Book
  • Harvest of Gold (Harvest of Rubies, #2)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Lineage of Grace (5 books)
  • Unashamed: Rahab (Lineage of Grace, #2)
  • Unshaken: Ruth (Lineage of Grace, #3)
  • Unspoken: Bathsheba (Lineage of Grace, #4)
  • Unafraid: Mary (Lineage of Grace, #5)

“Every God demands sacrifice. What sacrifice does your God require?' 'Obedience.” 1 likes