Start by marking “The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)

The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement #3)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,981 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In The Prince, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Jonathan.

In this new series of hardcover biblical novellas from beloved author Francine Rivers, each novella tells the story of one of five biblical men who stood behind the great heroes of the faith: Aaron the priest, Caleb the w
Published August 8th 2005 by Tyndale House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince

Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

As the subtitle of this book says, Jonathan was one man who quietly changed eternity. I have always known he was an honorable man since he was loyal to his friend David who became king when he could have fought for the royal position. But this book goes beyond just his friendship with David to dig into his life of honor and faithfulness to God.

The Prince is a mix of fiction and biblical fact that explores the life of Jonathan - son of a king, loyal friend to another king. Francine Rive
Randy Tramp
Mar 15, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it it was amazing
The Book
The story of Johnathon, the friend of King David.

My Thoughts
I saw the rise and fall of King Saul through the eyes of his son, Johnathon. The tragedy of this story is that fact that Johnathon was a great person. He would of been destined to be the next King of Israel, but his father heart was not right with God. Johnathon died before his time.
I enjoyed this book immensely. I know this character even greater because of the words Francine penned. I look forward to meeting Jonathon one day,
Noirfifre
Mar 11, 2013 Noirfifre rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this story about Saul and Jonathan. It was vivid and so alive. Never mind it was fictional, Rivers provided ample information at the back about what she made up from the bible story.
Pelican Rapids
Jun 22, 2017 Pelican Rapids rated it it was ok
Shelves: cpb
didn't listen to it because I couldn't get the case open
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]retells the story of jonathon from the bible, from when he is a teenager in saul's household, witnessing how his father becomes king, to when his best friend david is on the run from his father and jonathon must choose between them. jonathon develops a desire to serve the god of israel, studies with the prophet samuel, and struggles to honor his father while trying to do what is right and best with the count ...more
JoAnn
Sep 08, 2011 JoAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
This is the second book I have read in the Sons of Encouragement series and it is the one I was most interested in.
I appreciated the author showing Jonathan's desire to be obedient to God and His law and revelations through His prophet Samuel and how that created a conflict for him because of the command to honor his father and his wish and need to be a faithful friend to David, who God had chosen to be the next king.
My favorite part was the end showing Jonathan with his son and Jonathan's las
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
The Prince is another great installment in Francine Rivers' Sons of Encouragement series. In this book, Jonathan lives out his role supportingly faithful to his father King Saul, even after his forsaking the Lord, and equally faithful to his brother-in-the-Spirit, David. One of the strongest messages that I got from this book that I had somehow missed from the Biblical account is how incrementally Saul walks away from the Lord. I never knew that he was told to copy the Law for himself *in his ow ...more
Judith
Feb 28, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
I read this book while my bible study was studying the life of David (Leap Over A Wall by Eugene Peterson). It is interesting to compare Peterson's interpretation of David and Jonathan's relationships to Francine Rivers' interpretation in this story.

Jonathan was the king's son, yet he is portrayed as a very down to earth man, who loves God, and completely understands/accepts that he has no claim to the throne. He encourages David and reminds him of God's way (including to get married to a good w
Joy DeKok
Mar 25, 2010 Joy DeKok rated it it was amazing
I am married to a wonderful man named Jonathan. His parents chose his name based on the son of Saul and bestfriend of David.

Reading Francine Rivers, The Prince: Jonathan, I enjoyed the way she took what the Bible reveals about this man as well as recorded history, and wove them into a story that brought these men of long ago back to life in my imagination.

David would have been the King of Israel with Jonathan, because God chose him. However, his life would have been far less rich without the b
Gloria
Nov 30, 2013 Gloria rated it it was amazing
This third book in the series of five follows Jonathan in his life and his death.

The author gives a great scenario of how a man in his time followed a very thin line between honoring his father (Saul)  and still maintaining his friendship with some one his father considered an enemy (David). According to the book, Jonathan did this because he was faithful as the Afterwards explicitly spells out.

As with the other books in the series, there is a "delve deeper" or study guide regarding the Bible an
Nicole
Feb 12, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Jonathan story is sandwitched between the first two kings of Israel; both kings were annointed and chosen, and yet they have very different paths. I thought this book did a great job of explaining how and why king Saul became who he was; Saul's story as seen from his son's eyes. At the same time she fills out the story of David and rise and calling as king as well. I enjoyed this book because is make clear that what God is most concerned about, is our heart and our willingness to listen and obey ...more
Sherri
May 31, 2010 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Charity Murigi
Feb 15, 2016 Charity Murigi rated it really liked it
Once again Francine does a Beautiful job of telling the story of Jonathan, the rise and fall of Saul through his sons eyes, the tribulations of Israel, his friendship with David and his perception of God and the law.
I grieved for Jonathan, a prince, a man of faith who died before his time, when I finally finished this book.

All through reading, I kept going back to Scripture to read the story as originally told and that is perhaps Francine's greatest talent, whetting one's appetite for the Word
Hiulam Chan
Jan 29, 2015 Hiulam Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally I took courage to finish the book! It was so touching, encouraging. When I read the Bible, I didn't really know more about Jonathan. And Francine Rivers miraculously combined the fragments story into one, so that the reader is able to understand more. When I read till the last chapter, Jonathan die in the battle, I cried. I think he encouraged me that even in the bad situation, stand firm, even though the king is not follow God, stand firm too, don't grumble, but pray and pray and give a ...more
Narelle
Aug 05, 2012 Narelle rated it it was amazing
Jonathan is one of the lesser known characters in the Bible yet his story in The Prince novella is one of remarkable faith. The eldest son of King Saul, he became the heir to the throne after the prophet Samuel anointed his father as the first king of Israel.

We journey with Jonathan as he meets David and later struggles to remain loyal to his father and his closest friend, the future King David of Israel. Jonathan’s story is both inspiring and poignant. I recommend this novella series to those l
Marlo
Aug 05, 2012 Marlo rated it really liked it
I love new insight into and old story, and this novella delivered. Jonathan's faithfulness and devotion have always been praised, but Rivers brought out just how remarkable his faith was and his example remains. It also made me consider just how much fear can take over where faith should reign -- Saul's life reflects that too well, and convicts me to anaylze my own. Such a contrast between Saul and Jonathan. Jonathan truly points to an even greater Prince.
Jessica
Sep 17, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 13 and Up
Shelves: christianfiction

I read this book and tears filled my eyes. It was so moving and gorgeous! Jonathan's struggles with his father, Saul, who over and over again disobeys God, and his friendship, with the man after God's own Heart, David.
An excellent book that I highly reccommend!
Melissa
While the story of Amos in this same series dragged horribly, this one was quite enjoyable! Francine Rivers is a master of dialog, which makes for good reading, but more difficult to follow on book-on-CD.

That having been said, it was a brilliant choice of main characters, to choose Jonathan. He was the one torn between the two, between loyalty to king & father or to a truly great leader & God-fearing man.

This story helps bring the drama of the story to life
Riobhcah
Dec 10, 2011 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
I think this was the best of the first three of this series. I will not be reading 4 & 5 as their emphasis is Christian (not to offend Xtains, but I'm Jewish and don't have time to read Xtian novels; I have too many other books I need to read), but this was a good character study of Jonathan ben Saul and the dynamics and tension that existed among him, David and his father, Saul.
Kathleen Knoop
Aug 12, 2011 Kathleen Knoop rated it it was amazing
VERY GOOD Book about the friendship between King Saul's son, Jonathan and the future king, King David. Loved the loyalty between the two friends and the loyalty to God. definitely my favorite of the Sons of Encouragement series!
Tamara
Feb 27, 2010 Tamara rated it liked it
This book helps picture the "setting details" of the story of Jonathan, but it was a huge disappointment after how much I love her other novels. The writing felt rushed, dialogue was shallow, emotion was lacking. I felt much more moved reading the actual Biblical account.
Katy
Oct 28, 2009 Katy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book! I learned so much about what may have happened in the life of Prince Jonathan. Rivers does an excellent job at weaving in the biblical account of his life with her own imaginations. I named my son Jonathan after reading this book.
Jenni
Apr 24, 2008 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the book where I discovered Francine Rivers, and fell in love with her writing. She makes Biblical History come alive, so much that this book made me cry I had become so attached to the characters.
Nov 20, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Francine Rivers gives a great picture of Jonathon's life. I enjoyed reading it. It will probably be one of those that I read again.
Aurora
Feb 16, 2016 Aurora rated it it was amazing
read it twice! LOVE THIS BOOK!
Gabrielle Link
I love how this book was written. very goood!
Veronica
Nov 15, 2014 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
To be perfectly honest, I started out really disliking this book. I thought I wouldn't even be able to finish reading it. So, of course, it had to turn out to be favorite book of the series so far.
Luann Habecker
recommend

Gary
Jan 22, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who would enjoy reading about a biblical person in an every day tale.
Shelves: fiction-biblical
This is the third in a series about a Biblical men. Johnathon of the old testament. The background is biblical but the storey is fictionaly inhanced.
Chrissy
Jan 24, 2008 Chrissy rated it liked it
The story of Johnathan and David during Saul's reign in the Bible. What I got out of this book- friendship, loyalty & honoring your father (even if you don't respect him).
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Third Watch (A.D. Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crossed Sabres: 1875 (The House of Winslow)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Hadassah: One Night With the King
  • Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River #1)
  • Israel, My Beloved
  • Ruth, Mother of Kings
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Sons of Encouragement (5 books)
  • The Priest: Aaron (Sons of Encouragement, #1)
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)
  • The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)

“God does not abandon men, my son. Men abandon God.” 11 likes