The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)

The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,245 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In "The Prince, " beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Jonathan. In this new series of hardcover biblical novellas from beloved author Francine Rivers, each novella tells the story of one of five biblical men who stood behind the great heroes of the faith: Aaron the priest, Caleb the...more
Published August 8th 2005 by Tyndale House

Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

As the subtitle of this book says, Jonathan was one man who quietly changed eternity. I have always known he was an honorable man since he was loyal to his friend David who became king when he could have fought for the royal position. But this book goes beyond just his friendship with David to dig into his life of honor and faithfulness to God.

The Prince is a mix of fiction and biblical fact that explores the life of Jonathan - son of a king, loyal friend to another king. Francine Rive...more
Marren
I enjoyed reading this story about Saul and Jonathan. It was vivid and so alive. Never mind it was fictional, Rivers provided ample information at the back about what she made up from the bible story.
JoAnn
This is the second book I have read in the Sons of Encouragement series and it is the one I was most interested in.
I appreciated the author showing Jonathan's desire to be obedient to God and His law and revelations through His prophet Samuel and how that created a conflict for him because of the command to honor his father and his wish and need to be a faithful friend to David, who God had chosen to be the next king.
My favorite part was the end showing Jonathan with his son and Jonathan's las...more
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]retells the story of jonathon from the bible, from when he is a teenager in saul's household, witnessing how his father becomes king, to when his best friend david is on the run from his father and jonathon must choose between them. jonathon develops a desire to serve the god of israel, studies with the prophet samuel, and struggles to honor his father while trying to do what is right and best with the count...more
Ellen
The Prince is another great installment in Francine Rivers' Sons of Encouragement series. In this book, Jonathan lives out his role supportingly faithful to his father King Saul, even after his forsaking the Lord, and equally faithful to his brother-in-the-Spirit, David. One of the strongest messages that I got from this book that I had somehow missed from the Biblical account is how incrementally Saul walks away from the Lord. I never knew that he was told to copy the Law for himself *in his ow...more
Judith
I read this book while my bible study was studying the life of David (Leap Over A Wall by Eugene Peterson). It is interesting to compare Peterson's interpretation of David and Jonathan's relationships to Francine Rivers' interpretation in this story.

Jonathan was the king's son, yet he is portrayed as a very down to earth man, who loves God, and completely understands/accepts that he has no claim to the throne. He encourages David and reminds him of God's way (including to get married to a good w...more
Joy DeKok
I am married to a wonderful man named Jonathan. His parents chose his name based on the son of Saul and bestfriend of David.

Reading Francine Rivers, The Prince: Jonathan, I enjoyed the way she took what the Bible reveals about this man as well as recorded history, and wove them into a story that brought these men of long ago back to life in my imagination.

David would have been the King of Israel with Jonathan, because God chose him. However, his life would have been far less rich without the b...more
Nicole
Jonathan story is sandwitched between the first two kings of Israel; both kings were annointed and chosen, and yet they have very different paths. I thought this book did a great job of explaining how and why king Saul became who he was; Saul's story as seen from his son's eyes. At the same time she fills out the story of David and rise and calling as king as well. I enjoyed this book because is make clear that what God is most concerned about, is our heart and our willingness to listen and obey...more
Narelle
Jonathan is one of the lesser known characters in the Bible yet his story in The Prince novella is one of remarkable faith. The eldest son of King Saul, he became the heir to the throne after the prophet Samuel anointed his father as the first king of Israel.

We journey with Jonathan as he meets David and later struggles to remain loyal to his father and his closest friend, the future King David of Israel. Jonathan’s story is both inspiring and poignant. I recommend this novella series to those l...more
Sherri
Marlo
I love new insight into and old story, and this novella delivered. Jonathan's faithfulness and devotion have always been praised, but Rivers brought out just how remarkable his faith was and his example remains. It also made me consider just how much fear can take over where faith should reign -- Saul's life reflects that too well, and convicts me to anaylze my own. Such a contrast between Saul and Jonathan. Jonathan truly points to an even greater Prince.
Jessica
Sep 17, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 13 and Up
Shelves: christianfiction
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In The Prince, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Jonathan.

I read this book and tears filled my eyes. It was so moving and gorgeous! Jonathan's struggles with his father, Saul, who over and over again disobeys God, and his friendship, with the man after God's own Heart, David.
An excellent book that I highly reccommend!
Rivqah
I think this was the best of the first three of this series. I will not be reading 4 & 5 as their emphasis is Christian (not to offend Xtains, but I'm Jewish and don't have time to read Xtian novels; I have too many other books I need to read), but this was a good character study of Jonathan ben Saul and the dynamics and tension that existed among him, David and his father, Saul.
Tamara
This book helps picture the "setting details" of the story of Jonathan, but it was a huge disappointment after how much I love her other novels. The writing felt rushed, dialogue was shallow, emotion was lacking. I felt much more moved reading the actual Biblical account.
Katy
Absolutely LOVED this book! I learned so much about what may have happened in the life of Prince Jonathan. Rivers does an excellent job at weaving in the biblical account of his life with her own imaginations. I named my son Jonathan after reading this book.
Kathleen Knoop
VERY GOOD Book about the friendship between King Saul's son, Jonathan and the future king, King David. Loved the loyalty between the two friends and the loyalty to God. definitely my favorite of the Sons of Encouragement series!
Christina
I can say that anything written by Francine Rivers (after she became a christian) is a wonderful read. Her biblical & hystorical accuracy is awesome & brings stories that we all have heard before to life.
Chrissy
The story of Johnathan and David during Saul's reign in the Bible. What I got out of this book- friendship, loyalty & honoring your father (even if you don't respect him).
Gary
Jan 22, 2009 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who would enjoy reading about a biblical person in an every day tale.
Shelves: fiction-biblical
This is the third in a series about a Biblical men. Johnathon of the old testament. The background is biblical but the storey is fictionaly inhanced.
Di Emslie
All the books in the Sons of Encouragement series are an excellent way to be able to understand stories from the Bible. They are really well written.
Francine Rivers gives a great picture of Jonathon's life. I enjoyed reading it. It will probably be one of those that I read again.
Grace
The most tragic of her studies. Jonathan was a true Prince, a much better man than his father Saul.
Kat
Will definitely have to go and read the real story again in 1 Samuel.
Nickole
Amazing book that makes you long to read the story of Saul.
Eleisha Luck
Jul 29, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Opened my eyes to look at Saul's son in a diffrent light
Gabrielle
I love how this book was written. very goood!
Luann Habecker
recommend

Barbara Stryker
Barbara Stryker marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles #3)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River No. 1) (Book 1)
  • Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)
  • Martha
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter...more
More about Francine Rivers...
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)

“God does not abandon men, my son. Men abandon God.” 5 likes