Start by marking “Mark of the Lion Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Mark of the Lion Trilogy

Mark of the Lion Trilogy (Mark of the Lion #1-3)

4.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,925 Ratings  ·  704 Reviews
This classic series has inspired nearly two million readers. Both loyal fans and new readers will want the latest edition of this beloved series. Books in this latest edition include a foreword from the publisher, a preface from Francine Rivers, and discussion questions suitable for personal and group use. #1 A Voice in the Wind: Torn by her love for a handsome aristocrat, ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Tyndale House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Lion Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark of the Lion Trilogy

Kay
Nov 23, 2009 Kay rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the BEST series I've read. This is another author I resisted reading...for y-e-a-r-s because I had preconceived opinions about what she would write because she's a Christian.

I was so very, very wrong.

The story begins in early Rome with a young girl character. By the end of the book, she's grown, and you will have run a gamut of emotions, experienced love, total suspense, extreme pain, joy, tears, hope, fear, and burning anger, and I would be surprised if you don't lie awake man
Alicia Platz
Oct 05, 2008 Alicia Platz rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved, them!!! These are can't put down, aren't going to feed the kids or the dog, not doing laundry kind of books!
Elizabeth Tai
Mar 07, 2012 Elizabeth Tai rated it really liked it
This has got to be the best, and I mean, THE best Christian trilogy I've ever read. You know those good ol movies such as Ben Hur and The Robe? This trilogy reminded me of the movies. In fact, how I wish they would make a movie out of the books!

The only problem I have with the series (two of the books anyway) is Hadassah, the heroine of the tale. She was too perfect, too good, and... she spoke Christianese. What I'm saying is this - nobody is that perfect a Christian in real life. Although Hadas
Aimee
Jun 17, 2008 Aimee rated it it was amazing
I cannot say how much I love these books! I read them every couple of years. The characters come alive and I think about them often. Sometimes I will find myself asking "what would Hadassah do in this situation?" A MUST READ!!
Melissa Mccurdy
Sep 03, 2013 Melissa Mccurdy rated it it was amazing
These three books are amazing! The first book takes a little while to get pulled into, but once you do, you won't put either of the books down! Amazing series with several stories being told within. Top 10 of my favorite books!
Nacole
Mar 08, 2009 Nacole rated it really liked it
Oh man, this was an emotional literary rollercoaster. The first two books were amazing and I think Hadassah is probably my most favorite character in a book... ever. I never thought that I could learn to be a better person through a fictional character. The first book of the series, "A Voice in the Wind", took about 60-70 pages to get into, which was brutal, but it was well worth it from that point on, and throughout the second book. I gave this series 4/5 stars because the last book of the seri ...more
Dee Toomey
Oct 15, 2009 Dee Toomey rated it it was amazing
The "Mark of the Lion" series was wonderfully written. The author, Francine Rivers, has done her homework, and writes about the tyranny of Rome (about 200 AD)in a way that transports you back to that era. Indeed, to crack the cover of these books and begin reading is very like discovering a time-machine and traveling back in time.

As Jerusalum falls, you are there, feeling the terror of the Jewish people and early Christains as Rome persecutes and and nearly exterminates a whole group of people.
Jackie Schnupp
Jan 30, 2013 Jackie Schnupp rated it it was amazing
I was never a reader of Christian fiction, but this collection was recommended by a good friend; she was reading it aloud to her family, and said they had a hard time putting it down. They couldn't wait to return to it the next evening.

I found myself in the same situation. This is so well done - every single book holds the interest and the reader is hard-pressed to take a break. I became very invested in the main characters and was dying to know what happened next.

Highly recommended. I have the
Jane
Mar 28, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
More like 3.5, adding each volume together. I read them as separates but am writing a review of the trilogy as a whole.

v.1-2. How a slave girl from Judea, Hadassah, changes the lives of members of a Roman family living at the time of the Flavian emperors. The first two books in the trilogy I felt were superior. The Christian message was just enough for my taste, not overwhelming the action. The example of Hadassah's life spoke volumes to me and to the family.

The third volume carries on with the
Lea Lea
May 25, 2014 Lea Lea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
How else would I know anything about Roman culture and come up with the name, "Hadassah" for a child! I read these as a young girl and look forward to enjoying them again with my children.
Angela Joy
Feb 10, 2013 Angela Joy rated it it was amazing
Great series! Couldn't put the books down!
Ginger
Sep 20, 2007 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: bookclub, favorites
Best books I've ever read in my life. Period.
Sally
Dec 20, 2013 Sally rated it it was amazing
Some of the best books I've ever read!
Jessie LaPorte
Jan 08, 2014 Jessie LaPorte rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series ever!
Morgan
Jan 29, 2008 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Morgan by: Kari Way
Shelves: christian
Now, I was a little apprehensive about these books at first because they were (cough, cough) "Historical Christian Romance" novels. Hmmm. But everyone at church kept going on and on about them. Including Kari Way. Now, Kari isn't the super girlie mushie lovie dovie type, so I concluded that they must be decent and not super cheesy. Which they weren't.

The first two books follow a young Jewish Christian girl named Hadassah as she is taken captive to Rome after Jerusalem and the temple are destroye
Nicole
Jan 06, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
These books are a great way to learn about what it was like for early Christians. They're set around 79 AD - sort of the first to second generation after Jesus was alive. Jerusalem has just fallen, Christians are being persecuted. Rome is at the height of decadence. Gladiator contests in the arena reign supreme for entertainment. Paul has just written letters to the churches in several major cities.

Even though they're very fictional accounts, I really appreciated the insight these books gave int
Kelly Garcia
Jun 29, 2014 Kelly Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and addictive!!!!

Well-written, storyline that weaves the characters and places and happenings together addictively. Great for readers who love to know, really KNOW the characters and their struggles. If you aren't familiar with the story's timeline and culture, you definitely will be by half-way through the first book. This is not a quick read, but definitely so addictive you can't put it down. Emotionally and spiritually compelling, not watering down how enticing and destructive some te
Susan Shipman
Sep 28, 2014 Susan Shipman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMGosh. This is a must-read, must have for Christians. Trust me, this is no boring, dull, spiceless "Christian" book.

It is exciting and allows us to visualize life fifty to one hundred years after Christ's death. How they yearned for letters from Paul. How they gathered in secret to read a letter from a disciple. It opens your eyes to the reality of how dangerous it was to be a Christian in that time. Frankly, you want to grab your bible and read Ephesians with a different set of eyes.

It is viol
Amy Ingle
Nov 13, 2014 Amy Ingle rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite historical fiction series to date! Francine Rivers is the best Christian Fiction author out there, in my opinion. She uses great descriptions so the reader really breathes the essence of the book and puts themselves there right along side the main characters. I love her! She quotes and refers to scripture often in her writing, and it is not a watered-down Christianity. She has strong beliefs about tough topics and is not afraid to be vocal about it, even if it makes the read ...more
Ronda Koch
Sep 04, 2015 Ronda Koch rated it it was amazing
Are there words to express?!?!? What a marvelous work!!!!!!!! Thank you Jesus and thank you Francine Rivers for using your gifts to glorify the Lord!! I am so encouraged and inspired- my faith is greatly increased. I have only read 2/3 books thus far but I have to pause in my Mark of the Lion series marathon to stop and thank you and hope that this review will spark interest in everyone and anyone to read these books. SO powerful. I want to thank my SIL, auntie and cousins for encouraging me to ...more
Elizabeth Allen
Apr 11, 2012 Elizabeth Allen rated it it was amazing
By looking at the cheesy covers of these you'd never know that they are actually great historical fiction. I'm very picky with Christian fiction and Rivers is one of two writers in that genre that I enjoy. One could argue that parts are somewhat unbelievable but the early church age was full of signs and wonders. I love the mesh of Judaism and Christianity and I love learning more of the ancient cultures of Rome and Ephesus. Interesting to read this trilogy after the Hunger Games. There are grea ...more
Kathryn
Jul 25, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it
My Grandmother lent me these books telling me how much I would like them because their about a nurse, and I'm a nurse and it would be a good thing for me to read. Normally, she knows me pretty well, and does a good job recommending books for me. This was no different. I liked the first 2 books better than the last one. Because it was so long ago that I had read these, I don't remember why, but I remember liking the characters much better, and the story flowed better over the two books than it di ...more
Donna Goetter
Apr 12, 2015 Donna Goetter rated it it was amazing
These books were hard for me. Then I couldn't put it down. A voice I the Wind is the 1st book, then An Echo in the darkness and last As sure as the dawn. These are about the time when the disciples were being persecuted along with the Christians. It is gory but what story isn't. Just look at the wars we have going on now. I recommend this trilogy and hope you got something great out of it about what you believe and how far you would go to save your life or the lives of others.
Scott Dow
Jun 02, 2015 Scott Dow rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read, bringing to life the incredibly dangerous and dire circumstances under which early Christianity spread like wild fire. As 21st century Christians in the U.S., we know next to nothing about real faith, sacrifice and persecution. Francine Rivers brings to life a world in which professing belief in Jesus Christ often meant torture, imprisonment or even death.

This trilogy is a compelling read - highly recommended.
Sifa Gowon
Sep 22, 2014 Sifa Gowon rated it it was amazing
This remains, to date, my favorite trilogy ever, with As Sure as the Dawn being the heavy favorite (I've read it 7 times...). The characters grew on me and I loved them all! I loved their struggles and their emotions and the fact that Ms River's was able to portray them so vividly.

I could almost hear, smell and taste the world of ancient Rome as I flipped through the pages, devouring the words and shaking my head at the mastery with which she spun the tales.

My only small grouse with the stories
Patti S. Jones
Aug 16, 2016 Patti S. Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing!!

This book was one recommended to me by many friends over the years but I never wanted to start because it was long and looked more like a "gladiator" story from the outside. I'm so glad I finally picked it up and started it because I couldn't put it down!!! It does have some gladiators but it transforms the reader to a time unfamiliar to us and helps us to live with the characters. Every character was real and relatable. Francine Rivers you outdid yourself (although I know th
Winona
May 31, 2015 Winona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this trilogy! Set in Roman Empire/Europe during the 1st century of Christianity. Hadassah is the sweetest example of living a life of faith in an awful place during a horrible period in human history. It was heart-wrenching, terrifying, attention-grabbing and so very inspiring. Well written, I could smell the spices, feel the heat and taste the fear. I cried, cringed and laughed, I felt anger, frustration and hope. I could not put it down!
The only negative I must note was the author's u
Gabriella
Sep 16, 2014 Gabriella rated it liked it
I liked the series with an exception of the third book( I thought Atretes was a real jerk and I couldn't like him). The spiritual side of these books were good. Faith, loyalty, love, and humility were recurring themes.

However, there was a TON of sexuality in this book that, for me( age 19), made it almost completely unbearable. While it was shown through the eyes of the Christian as sin, it was quite vivid in description. Yes, I know that this goes on but I would not recommend this book for a y
Alicia
Sep 29, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing
BEST SERIES EVER!!!

if you haven't read these books yet, and you like historical fiction, and are open to christian historical fiction with love and adventure and tears and late night reading sessions, BUY THESE BOOKS RIGHT NOW.

the first book MAY be slow in getting into for some people, but don't let the background set up slow you down. enjoy the details and set up, b/c you won't set them down after midway through the first book.

Francine's best books, after only "Redeeming Love." A tale of love,
Jan
Mar 16, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing
Don't read volume 1 without having volume 2 close by. These two books are of the remarkable story of Hadassah, a Jewish slave and Marcus, a Roman, in the turbulent times for Christians about 100 AD. I read volume 2 first ("An Echo in the Darkness") when I picked it off the shelf at the library. I'm not sure I could have handled the first one ("A Voice in the Wind") had I not know the fate of Hadassah. Even reading the first book second, my heart was beating so hard at the end, even knowing what ...more
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • Safely Home
  • The Zion Covenant (Zion Covenant, #1-#6)
  • Mine Is the Night (Here Burns My Candle, #2)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Mark of the Lion (3 books)
  • A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)
  • An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2)
  • As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)

“Stand firm in the Lord, Hadassah. Stand firm and let him fight your battles. Do not try to fight alone.” 5 likes
“What do you want of God, Roman?” It was an imperious question from so small a boy, and was said with a curious blend of humility and demand. “I’ll know when I face him.” “Perhaps the answers you seek can’t be found in something you can see and touch.” Amused, Marcus smiled. “You have big thoughts for a small boy.” The boy grinned. “A shepherd has time to think.” “Then, my little philosopher, what would you advise?” The boy’s smile faded. “When you face God, remember he is God.” “I’ll remember what he’s done,” Marcus said coldly. “That, too,” the boy said almost gently.” 3 likes