Ruin Creek

Ruin Creek

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In Ruin Creek, David Payne revisits North Carolina's Madden family.

Jimmy Madden, a fiercely independent high school basketball star with big dreams for his future, sees them dim one Fourth of July when his debutante girlfriend May Tilley tells him she is pregnant. Twelve years later, Jimmy grudgingly endures the workaday drudgery of his father-in-law's tobacco warehouse;...more
Published February 26th 2002 by Plume (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ruin Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruin Creek

Kathleen Granger
Hard to get into .... Drags. More dreary family pain. Brings to mind "We were the Mulvaney's"
Mary
Jan 21, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
This is a story about the breakdown of a marriage in the 1950s. It's told from three perspectives: Jimmy, the would-be doctor, May, daughter of a wealthy and influential southern family, and Joey, their unplanned 12-year-old son. It's a story about broken dreams and new found realities and how this family deals with them. I give this story an A+! - it was well-written and thought-provoking.
Julie
Superbly told story of extended family and the unraveling of a marriage told from different points of view. I believe the author was trying to help us see both the good and bad in the husband and the wife, but I simply could not like or sympathize with the husband who refused to grow up. The language, 1950's setting and the geography of coastal North Carolina were beautifully done.
Ginger
This book chronicles Joey Madden's parents' lives when they met and when they were married. It's told from the perspectives of Joey's mother, father and Joey himself and offers a lot of insight into Joey's personal issues that are discussed in "Gravesend Light". I read "Gravesend Light" first, so I found this book helpful in explaining things and giving more perspective.
Mary Curran
Very well written, but a little distancing. They should have seen the writing on the wall from the start and not married.
Marianne
The most beautiful prose I've read in a long time. His descriptions of the area are exquisite. His character development is without par. He shows a sensitivity unparalleled.
Jessica Rullo
Beautifully and realistically written. I could really feel and empathize with each character because of the three different perspectives written from.
Barbara
Like standing at the fence talking to your backyard nieghbor, You truly have to be a native to appreciate this book and it's characters.
Mary Solomon
Liked the writer's style and description but thought it belabored the family's dynamic.
Susan Tiritilli
Loved the book read it twice. I think it would be a great movie.
Geni
Engaging story. Southern lit.
Diane Vanderwerff
Diane Vanderwerff marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Brian Hoff
Brian Hoff marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Anne Schmitt
Anne Schmitt marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Bluefootball
Bluefootball is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Terri
Terri added it
May 11, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Robin
Robin added it
Apr 21, 2014
Tricia
Tricia added it
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Early from the Dance Back to Wando Passo: A Novel Gravesend Light Confessions Of A Taoist On Wall Street Never Seconds: The Incredible Story of Martha Payne