Start by marking “Shadows of the Redwood (Scions of Shadow Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the Redwood (Scions of Shadow Trilogy #1)

Shadows of the Redwood (Faire Folk: Scions of Shadow #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  21 reviews

The popular and critically acclaimed Faire Folk Saga continues in THE SCIONS OF SHADOW TRILOGY

When the Redwood Forest tree shepherd disappears under mysterious circumstances, Keelie Heartwood and her elven grandmother arrive at the local Renaissance festival to investigate. Then her grandmother vanishes—and Keelie finds herself ensnared in a life-or-death battle against a

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Redwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Redwood

Rosver
The book goes over long for a very simple story. Our heroine, Keelie, is sent to the Redwoods to help solve a problem and of course she saves the day. However, the story meanders a lot. There are many boring scenes where what happens are the characters walking and talking about things that has little to do with the story. There is also the romantic 'plot line' (if you can call it that) among the young characters that is incredibly lame and annoying and often disrupts the flow of the main plot/st ...more
Amanda
This one wasn't in a faire, and seemed a bit more of a hodgepodge of fantasy creatures. There were a lot of characters to keep track of. I was glad to see that Keelie was still in mourning for her mom. Too many books forget something like that, but it's real to mourn for that long. More details are found out about what Keelie really is, and she seems to handle things a little too well. She never really gets hurt at anything, I was never afraid that she might not make it. She's too powerful for a ...more
Zarah
I adore the first trilogy and i'm so very happy there's more! :)
Also, I'm glad there was a lot more sean action
in the others he wasnt in them much, but in this one it seemed like he was actually more of a main character
Bridget R. Wilson
Keelie Heartwood finds her skills as a tree shepherd sorely tested when she journeys to California's Redwood Forest with her grandmother. The Redwoods' tree shepherd has disappeared and it's up to Keelie to solve the mystery. The Redwood Forest is unlike any Keelie has ever encountered. Something dark lingers there. Can Keelie find the forest's tree shepherd before it's too late?

What I thought: A solid book that will please current fans and garner more. The mystery and darkness will intrigue rea
Deborah
The first book in the second series of the Faire Folk saga. Kellie and her Grandmother travel to California to the Shakespeare Fair and the Redwood forest where the Tree Shepard has disappeared.Knot the cat is very busy running from Risa who has fallen under a love spell meant for Sean. Keelie's love interest Sean is feature more in this story. Which adds a nice love interest. The Redwoods are dark and will not speak to Keelie. Can she solve the mystery of the missing Tree Shepard while her Gran ...more
Mary-kaye
It's good to see how the main character matures and grows with her family and romance.
Suzanne Schack
One word: Peascod. Three words: Read this book! Keelie delves further into her life and tries to decide if she should pick or a side or stay true to herself. All the while people plot against her from all sides.

I'm re-reading the series since the last book in the second trilogy has been released and there are series that you come back to time and time again, noticing something different each time you read them. This is one of those series. I love, love, love it, and I know that I'll be both sad
Liz
This is an exciting way to start off a new series, and it's a perfect new twist on the original theme of fairies. The obstacles and challenges are done in a completely different light from all the other stories about the magical world. Summers takes a common theme, something that has been done by hundreds of authors, and puts a completely new twist on the world.

Cover: The cover is mysterious and almost scary. But it's very intriguing and wills readers to pick up the book to find out more.
Rasma
Like I have said of other books by this author I had my nose a book all day just to finish this next chapter in Keelie's life. Even though Keelie has helped the elves out of some sticky situations it seems that many still do not believe in her enough to help save another guardian of the forest. A goblin curse is upon the redwood forest and when Keelie's grandmother disappears its up to Keelie to once again save the day.
Jessica
The cover looks dark, and Keelie is no longer in familiar surroundings, but there is more romance in this one. I really like how Sean plays more of a part in this story, and we get to know him more and I realized I do like the two of them together.

Hopefully, because Keelie is both elf and fae, with probably a fourth of her blood human, she will live just as long as Sean.
Audrey
I was a huge fan of the first trilogy, and am overjoyed there is now a second, with the same characters plus a few. This takes place in the redwoods, a spot dear to my heart. My only complaint is with the publisher: they give away the last 50 pages of the book in the back cover summary! Rather than a teaser, it's a spoiler. I hope Flux does a better job next time.
Cassandra (The Book & Movie Dimension blogger)
Keelie Heartwood is back. Sean and her are reunited. There is sure to be lots of sweet moments between them. Keelie must save a fellow Tree

Shepherd lost in the Redwoods forest. Things get creepy and strange fast. Good thing Keelie is up to the

challenge. Love, love, love this first book in a potentially fantastic trilogy.
Donna
First book in the second series of the Faire Folk saga. The plot is not radically different from the other books but it is a very enjoyable read. Knot the cat is definitely my favorite character. In this book, Keelie and her grandmother travel to the redwood forest of California to search for a missing tree shepard.
This was a great addition to the Keelie Heartwood Saga, however, I didn't enjoy it as much as the last three. It was great just not as good IMHO.
Like the first trilogy it was amazing. It has a really great hook and it great for young teens. I cant wait to read the next in this trilogy.
Zarezz
Good book,but I think Gillian Summers should wrote a lot of relationship of Keelie and Sean in the other books,like in this one.
Novia Raihanah
I'm really hooked on books like this.
Totally. Fairies. Goblins. Talking trees. Lovin' it.
Toni Garcia
I'm so sad I have to wait a long time for the next book... I love this author..
Kathy
A new trilogy continuing with the characters from the Fairy Folk Trilogy
Amy
Jul 23, 2010 Amy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Harry Potter or The Twilight Series
The fourth book in The Faire Folk Saga: Trilogy 2 by my good friend Berta Platas (She and another person write together under the pseudonym Gillian Summers.).
Julia
What a great read!!
Sarah Staszkiel
Sarah Staszkiel marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Sammi
Sammi added it
Nov 08, 2014
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • The Enchanted Quest (Faerie Path, #5)
  • Diamonds for the Dead
  • The Lonely American: Drifting Apart in the Twenty-first Century
  • Winter's Orphans (Shadow Fae, #1)
  • Taking Talon (The Arcadia Falls Chronicles #2)
  • Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)
  • Guardian (The Fallen Chronicles #1)
  • The Magickers Chronicles, Vol. One (The Magickers, #1-2)
  • So This is How it Ends (Avatars, #1)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • An Ordinary Fairy (The Willow Brown Stories, #1)
  • Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov
  • Silver Skin (Cold Iron, #2)
  • The Lost Secret of Fairies (The Crystal Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Merlin's Harp (Merlin's Harp, #1)
  • The Hollow People (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #1)
A forest dweller, Gillian was raised by gypsies at a Renaissance Faire. She likes knitting, hot soup, costumes and adores oatmeal, especially in the form of cookies. She loathes concrete, but tolerates it if it means attending a science fiction convention. She's an obsessive collector of beads, recipes, knitting needles and tarot cards, and admits to reading InStyle Magazine. You can find her in h ...more
More about Gillian Summers...
The Tree Shepherd's Daughter (Faire Folk, #1) Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2) The Secret of the Dread Forest (Faire Folk, #3) The Quicksilver Faire (Scions of Shadow #2) The Goblin's Curse (Scions of Shadow, #3)