Start by marking “. . . And Then There Were None” as Want to Read:
. . . And Then There Were None

. . . And Then There Were None

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A short science-fiction book depicting a Terran ship, whose crew generally ascribe to social hierarchies and capitalist principles, landing on a planet inhabited entirely by matter-of-fact anarchists. In many ways, this can be called a farce and a satire. A text can be found on abelard.org, and possibly in other places.
. . . And Then There Were None was later expanded into
Published (first published June 1951)

To ask other readers questions about . . . And Then There Were None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about . . . And Then There Were None

Denise
Great story of a free or anarchist society. Really appeals to my distaste for being told what to do. A friend suggested I read this. I consider her a good influence while those who aren't willing to consider saying "I won't" might not agree.
Tim Williams
Pure genius. I have read countless 'classic' SF stories and this one sets itself apart. It might have some slightly dated bits here or there as compared to how we view space travel now versus the view of it in the '50's but that doesn't impact the merit of the story at all. This is just plain great and appeals to me in so many ways. Utopian? For me it would be.

I will be harassing all my friends into reading this - for their own good. Of course, they could always say "I won't."
Yev
I have an inherent distrust of stories that try to make a point or teach a lesson, that's why I could never bring myself to read Ayn Rand's novels, despite my libertarian views. This, however, was a delight. It reads fast and light and, despite it's predictable course, never fails to entertain.
Nick
Funny, sweet, and short, like a talking brownie.
kate
Oct 22, 2010 kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with even the slightest interest in speculation
Shelves: read-and-re-read
Ümit
Sivil itaatsizlikle ilgili çok güzel, hiciv dolu bir kitap. Birçok yerde çok da eğlenceli. Her şeyi reddeden ve "üst" kavramına tamamen yabancı bir topluluğa ne yapabilirsiniz ki? Yok etseniz bile işinize yaramaz.

"Matt masanıza geldi mi?"
"Evet. Ama bize servis yapmayı reddetti."
Omuzlarını silkerek "Onun hakkı bu," dedi kadın. "Herkesin reddetme hakkı var. Özgürlük bu işte, değil mi?"
"Biz ona isyan deriz," dedi Gleed.
"Çocukluk etme," diye payladı kadın.

Ayrıca bunu seven "Katip Bartleby"yi de seve
Chris Maguire
Interesting if a little silly.
Viktor Malafey
Читати в перекладі — втратити половину насолоди.
verbava
маленька анархічна утопія.
Rao Kasibhotla
Originally read a Telugu translation but recently read the English original. I get it, but the anarchist angle of this book, as suggested by several reviews here, is new to me. Having read this while growing up in India, the Gandhian principle of non-cooperation to an autocratic authority seemed quite normal to me.
Ali Çetinbudaklar
Bradbury ve Adams tarzı bir espritüel anlatım tarzı vardı tabi ben Bradbury'e daha çok benzettim.Aynın onun gibi en sıradan olayları gülünç bir hale sokarken göndermek istediği mesajı alttan alttan bilinçaltımıza yerleştiriyor E.F.R. de . Kindle'imi alır almaz diğer öykülerine de bakacağım.
Mick
Sep 19, 2012 Mick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Go ahead, read this, awaken the anarchist inside yourself. John W. Campbell's court-jester in fine form.
Wes Hartman
Originally published June 1951, Astounding Science Fiction, vol. XLVII, no.4

Yiğit Güler
Yiğit Güler marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Recep
Recep marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Gina Donahue
Gina Donahue marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Nic
Nic marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
phamluong pham
phamluong pham marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Cihan Alkoç
Cihan Alkoç marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Özgün
Özgün marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • The Great Simoleon Caper
  • Dr. Futurity
  • Promises, Promises
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • The Young Girl's Handbook of Good Manners for Use in Educational Establishments
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The CEO of the Sofa
  • The Little Girl and the Cigarette
  • The Status Civilization
  • How to Be an Alien: A Handbook for Beginners and Advanced Pupils
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman
Eric Frank Russell was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories. Much of his work was first published in the United States, in John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines. Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics. A few of his stories were published under pseudonyms, of which Duncan ...more
More about Eric Frank Russell...
Wasp Next of Kin The Great Explosion Sinister Barrier Men, Martians and Machines