Start by marking “. . . And Then There Were None” as Want to Read:
. . . And Then There Were None

. . . And Then There Were None

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A short science-fiction book depicting a Terran ship, whose crew generally ascribe to social hierarchies and capitalist principles, landing on a planet inhabited entirely by matter-of-fact anarchists. In many ways, this can be called a farce and a satire. A text can be found on, and possibly in other places.
. . . And Then There Were None was later expanded into
Published (first published June 1951)

To ask other readers questions about . . . And Then There Were None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about . . . And Then There Were None

Great story of a free or anarchist society. Really appeals to my distaste for being told what to do. A friend suggested I read this. I consider her a good influence while those who aren't willing to consider saying "I won't" might not agree.
Tim Williams
Pure genius. I have read countless 'classic' SF stories and this one sets itself apart. It might have some slightly dated bits here or there as compared to how we view space travel now versus the view of it in the '50's but that doesn't impact the merit of the story at all. This is just plain great and appeals to me in so many ways. Utopian? For me it would be.

I will be harassing all my friends into reading this - for their own good. Of course, they could always say "I won't."
I have an inherent distrust of stories that try to make a point or teach a lesson, that's why I could never bring myself to read Ayn Rand's novels, despite my libertarian views. This, however, was a delight. It reads fast and light and, despite it's predictable course, never fails to entertain.
Funny, sweet, and short, like a talking brownie.
Oct 22, 2010 kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with even the slightest interest in speculation
Shelves: read-and-re-read
Sivil itaatsizlikle ilgili çok güzel, hiciv dolu bir kitap. Birçok yerde çok da eğlenceli. Her şeyi reddeden ve "üst" kavramına tamamen yabancı bir topluluğa ne yapabilirsiniz ki? Yok etseniz bile işinize yaramaz.

"Matt masanıza geldi mi?"
"Evet. Ama bize servis yapmayı reddetti."
Omuzlarını silkerek "Onun hakkı bu," dedi kadın. "Herkesin reddetme hakkı var. Özgürlük bu işte, değil mi?"
"Biz ona isyan deriz," dedi Gleed.
"Çocukluk etme," diye payladı kadın.

Ayrıca bunu seven "Katip Bartleby"yi de seve
Chris Maguire
Interesting if a little silly.
Viktor Malafey
Читати в перекладі — втратити половину насолоди.
маленька анархічна утопія.
Rao Kasibhotla
Originally read a Telugu translation but recently read the English original. I get it, but the anarchist angle of this book, as suggested by several reviews here, is new to me. Having read this while growing up in India, the Gandhian principle of non-cooperation to an autocratic authority seemed quite normal to me.
Ali Çetinbudaklar
Bradbury ve Adams tarzı bir espritüel anlatım tarzı vardı tabi ben Bradbury'e daha çok benzettim.Aynın onun gibi en sıradan olayları gülünç bir hale sokarken göndermek istediği mesajı alttan alttan bilinçaltımıza yerleştiriyor E.F.R. de . Kindle'imi alır almaz diğer öykülerine de bakacağım.
Sep 19, 2012 Mick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Go ahead, read this, awaken the anarchist inside yourself. John W. Campbell's court-jester in fine form.
Wes Hartman
Originally published June 1951, Astounding Science Fiction, vol. XLVII, no.4

Kerem Kızbaz
Kerem Kızbaz marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jannell marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Ligasın  kopuk Kolu
Ligasın kopuk Kolu marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
De Jan
De Jan added it
Sep 11, 2015
Paradox marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Sudharshana S
Sudharshana S marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Golyatkin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Isabel Castro
Isabel Castro marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Taylan Tunç
Taylan Tunç marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • The Great Simoleon Caper
  • Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations - The Collectors
  • Big Boys Don't Cry
  • Lone Star Planet
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Reanimators
  • Andy Warhol's Dracula (Anno Dracula, #3.5)
  • Mono no Aware
  • By His Bootstraps
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • The Little Girl and the Cigarette
  • The Status Civilization
Eric Frank Russell was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories. Much of his work was first published in the United States, in John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines. Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics. A few of his stories were published under pseudonyms, of which Duncan ...more
More about Eric Frank Russell...
Wasp Next of Kin The Great Explosion Sinister Barrier Men, Martians and Machines

“Do you mind?’ He inquired politely as he lowered himself into the chair.

‘Do I mind what?’ She examined his ears as if they were curious phenomena. ‘Rabies, dogs, aged relatives or standing around in the rain?’

‘Do you mind me sitting here?’

‘I can please myself whether or not I endure it. That’s freedom, isn’t it?”