Start by marking “Roughing It with Ryan” as Want to Read:
Roughing It with Ryan

Roughing It with Ryan (South Village Singles #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Suzanne Carter has sworn off men...really! Her inability to take life seriously drives them crazy, so it's best she leaves them alone. Then one night, strong, handsome Ryan Alondo rescues her and she simply melts. Who could resist all that rough-and-tumble sexiness? But as tempting as he is, she's not going to fall for his charms. Because there's no way she wants to ruin a...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Harlequin Temptation

To ask other readers questions about Roughing It with Ryan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roughing It with Ryan

Ana
Lately I've been trying a few of the older Jill Shalvis books. I love her Lucky Harbor series, and thought why not give them a chance. Some I like more than others, but mostly they are OK reads.

Suzanne has had quite an unfortunate history with men. She has 3 ex-fiancees, and she managed to mess up every single one of them. The last one cost her her job and her apartment. So now she's jobless, homeless and mostly broke. So the add: "Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!" for an apartment sound right about perfect...more
Viohlet
I enjoyed this one.

The author's writing style has changed a little over the years and even though she'd written plenty of category romance's before this, I feel like the writing was still a little green and experience has definitely brought her natural talent to the fore.

I read this as a reprint and I have to say, I noticed a few typos and other errors, including, amazingly, an instance of a character's name being the completely wrong one. I'm surprised at this: was it like this in the original...more
Courtney
this book was good but it's no Lucky Harbor. the thing about the LH series is that there is a whole community of crazy characters that flush out the story. and this series does have it's own cast of characters but not on the same scale that LH does. I did enjoy the friendship between Suzanne and Taylor. And I especially loved the relationships between Ryan and his siblings.
Jessi
Suzanne Carter is in a pickle. Her third fiance has just become her third ex-fiance and kicked her out of their apartment. She is lucky enough to find a new apartment but a tree crashes into it on her first night (okay, it's just a branch, but still.) Luckily, hunky tree-man Ryan Alondo is on his way over to help out. Neither is in a place emotionally to have a long-term relationship (at least as far as they can tell). Ryan has just finished raising his sister and twin brothers and just wants to...more
Caty
I love everything that comes out of Jill Shalvis' head. Nothing else to say.
jR
The book introduces three strangers who become best of friends during the difficult part of their lives. Taylor is the one who holds their string of friendship together. And this book is Suzanne's story.

I really like the book because the stories is in a more realistic way. The characters are hot. Especially Ryan. I love how he set aside a part of his life just for his brothers and sisters. Being 25 and already has three mouths to feed when you are just starting your life is a lot to take in. But...more
I really enjoyed this book. It was a short and easy read. I think Ryan might be one of my favorite Jill Shalvis characters ever! I loved everything about him and his family. Suzanna was a great character too. I really liked her character development, which is surprising because the book wasn't very long. I wonder if she will ever write a book about Russ or Rafe? :) Can't wait to read the rest of this series!
Nancy Anderson
Wonderful tree scene in this book. Retro review (I read it before the iPhone).
Neha
I usually love Jill Shalvis's book, especially the Lucky Harbour Series. But, this one was a little blah. Nothing interesting or different from the hundreds of Harlequin novels out there. The writing is very OK and the characters did not have any depth. I may not read the remaining books in the series.
Bri
2.5 Read these out of order, as I didn't know they were a series. Didn't really effect it at all. This was better than #2, but still not great. Lots of back and forth and repeats in here...probably could have been half the length.
Hpitcher
Definitely not great. I'm usually a fan of Jill shalvis but nothing really seemed to happen. Kinda disappointing
Dee
I am so totally reading this series backwards lol... but still an awesome series...
Judy
Another series, although not as in-depth as some of her others. Still a fun read.
Lyndi
I don't think there was any 'roughing it' in this book...
Nedjina Edmond
Judy
Judy added it
Oct 17, 2014
Sheila Renz-green
Sheila Renz-green marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Chantel
Chantel marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jennifer Alatorre
Jennifer Alatorre is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
  • Shaken and Stirred: Those Sexy O'Sullivans
  • Holiday Hideout
  • Kissing Santa Claus (Men of Hawaii #3)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Terms of Surrender (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #18)
  • Below the Belt (Harlequin Blaze, #404)
  • Face-Off
  • The Billionaire's Captive Bride (Ruthless!) (Harlequin Presents #2676)
  • Mother, Please!
  • Twist of Fate
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Men of Courage II
  • Bad Boys Southern Style
  • Once Upon a Valentine: All Tangled Up\Sleeping with a Beauty\Catch Me
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo...more
More about Jill Shalvis...
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)