Morte malinconica del bambino ostrica

Morte malinconica del bambino ostrica

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  13,832 ratings  ·  850 reviews
Tim Burton è l'ormai celebre regista di tanti film famosi e originali, come "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Il suo lavoro è segnato da una cifra particolare e inequivocabile di orrore, comicità e insieme malinconia, che apparenta le sue figure di esseri sconfitti, dolenti, o almeno colpiti da un'assoluta solitudine, alle invenzioni della grande letteratura e arte. Il lib...more
Published 2007 by Einaudi (first published 1993)

Tina
This is me--a huge Tim Burton fan (or so I thought):

One day, while carelessly browsing the Internets, I came across a book that I had no idea existed. I couldn't believe my eyes and felt especially stupid when realization hit me: I must have been living under a rock in a God-forsaken place, as never before had I heard of this book:

Of course, as soon as I realized that I had to have this book, another realization hit bullseye: remember that God-forsaken place, the one where I lived under a rock?...more
Melki
Reading this tiny tome was sort of like taking a prolonged vacation on The Island of Really, Really Misfit Toys. The natives are strange but friendly. They take some getting used to, but after a while, you'll want to hug them...BUT be careful - many of them have sharp objects sticking out of their bellies.

description

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes
put up his aluminum tree.
It looked pretty strange
because he couldn't see.

The above is a pretty good example of what's in this book a...more
Robert Beveridge
Tim Burton, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories (Morrow, 1997)

Someone needs to explain this to me and fast, `cause I don't get it: how is it that bad poetry (and yes, folks, this is truly bad) and art that looks like a second-rate Edward Gorey ripoff (Burton is not the illustrator that he is the sculptor and animator) can be so insanely funny? I am completely at a loss for why I liked this anywhere near as much as I did.

Let's face it, if you squint right while watching The Night...more
Mairéad (stuck at the Edge of Nothingness)
“Son, are you happy?
I don't mean to pry,
but do you dream of Heaven?
Have you ever wanted to die?”

4.5 stars because honestly it's just plain creepy and I want more!

As a Tim Burton fan myself, I never heard of this until my cousin, who's probably the BIGGEST Tim Burton fan ever (she wears black and she collects EVERYTHING Tim Burton and I'm rather jealous lol) showed me the book one day when I was visiting. It's the most wondrous and bizarre read I could ever have the pleasure of experiencing. It...more
Ema
I love Tim Burton's movies for their beautiful cinematography and sense of macabre with a pinch of dark humor.
His poetry is right up my alley, just like the stories of Edward Gorey (who is known to have influenced Burton).

Roy, the Toxic Boy

To those who knew him
-his friends-
we called him Roy.
To others he was known
as that horrible Toxic Boy.

He loved ammonia and asbestos,
and lots of cigarette smoke.
What he breathed in for air
would make other people choke!

His very favorite toy
was a can of aerosol
Aldrin
Half-oyster, half-boy, Oyster Boy is born to a perfectly human couple who supposedly conceived him after dining on “one spectatular dish- / a simmering stew of mollusks and fish.” Growing up, Oyster Boy, whose proper name is Sam but is sometimes called "that thing that looks like a clam," becomes a laughingstock (“When the Thompson quadruplets espied him one day, / they called him a bivalve and ran quickly away.) and a picture of sadness and reticence (“One spring afternoon, / Sam was left in th...more
Cecily
A short collection of macabre poems, illustrated like a children's book, but aimed more at the YA market, and delightful for dark-thinking adults as well.

There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a most inappropriate present from Santa.

Occasionally the rhythm doesn't quite work at the first attempt, but even so, it's great fun.

It is strongly reminiscent of Hilaire Belloc's "Cautionary Tales for Children" (http://www.goodre...more
Parnian
از تیم برتونی که این بالا نوشتم میشه حدس زد که این یه کتاب متفاوته.
مجموعه ایه از داستان های خیلی کوتاه با تصویرهای فوق العاده جذاب و سوژه های عجیب غریب!

سوژه های این کتاب اغلب بچه هایی هستن که به نحوی غیر طبیعی هستن و به همین دلیل تنهان و طرد شده ن.
نویسنده با لحن بیخیال و بچگانه چیزایی میگه که در عین خنده دار و مسخره بودن، غم انگیزن. بر خلاف ظاهرش از نظر من این کتاب مناسب بچه ها نیست!
خیلی کتاب ظریف و دوست داشتنی ایه.
Núria
Apr 20, 2008 Núria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: los que se han sentido alguna vez un bicho raro
Un librito delicioso lleno de freaks para los que alguna vez se han sentido unos freaks. Es el típico universo de Tim Burton traducido en poemitas de una ingenuidad brillante. No es necesario decir nada más. Sólo añadiré que yo lloré con la historia del Chico Ostra y también con la de Chico Momia. Pero en realidad todos los personajes son tan entrañables que me gustaría poder adoptarlos a todos.
Bobby
It's because of books like this I prefer to shop at used bookstores versus Amazon (well, and also because Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is a big supporter of Bush). I always loved Tim Burton's films but didn't even know he had books out until I found this little gem misplaced on a wrong shelf in a used bookstore (moreover, a bargain at $2!). Much like his films, the book is full of morbid/weird/freaky imagery, both in the text of the poems as well as the accompanying images. It has everything from R...more
Ali Alawi
Tim Burton is a mystery to me,
Quite literally.

When I was a little kid
I never knew that he's the one who built
Wonka's chocolate factory and said
Beetlejuice thrice.

Now, I have this really dear friend
who sometimes pretends to be Tim.
I never understood his obsession
and why he's possessed by this Tim
until I read this tome.

You see, this Burton does not write like a McEwan or a Joyce
He's words certainly aren't as flamboyant as Wilde's.
But I just loved how simple the work was
and the way it mimed these...more
Andy
I've wanted to read this for a long time, and last year in Melbourne I went to the touring Tim Burton exhibit where most of the original cartoons and poems were on display. There's a great charm, wit, and naivety present throughout the illustrations, countering the dark subject matter. Sure, the rhymes aren't always that good or natural, the content base but ultimately it's easy to enjoy the grim misfortunes of a bunch of deformed and isolated characters.

As an aside, I asked my partner to marry...more
Sara Parsi
برای جشن هالوین , پسر صدفی تصمیم گرفت
برای ترساندن مردم خود را به شکل آدمیزاد در آورد

تیم برتون
Bryce Wilson
Pulled myself away from watching Sweeney Todd for the 183rd time to revisit this wonderfully nasty bit of work from Tim Burton. It's a little darker then most of his works, and the first time I was read it I was a little taken aback. He definitely witholds the happy endings he reserves for most of his freaks in this tome. Still it's funny, beautiful, a little sad and a little sweet. In other words pure Burton.

And as a boy with nails in his eyes myself, I'm glad someone finally put my plight dow...more
Maryam Muhammadi
کی فکرش را می کرد که کسی

از تنفس هوای بیرون بمیرد؟؟؟؟

وقتی روح ری بدنش را ترک کرد،

ما همه در دل دعا خواندیم.

روحش رفت به آسمان

و سوراخی در لایه اوزون درست کرد.

Lavinia
Funny!

***

For Halloween
Oyster boy decided to go as human
(Oyster Boy steps out)

Stick Boy noticed that his Christmas tree looked healthier
Than he did
(Stick Boy’s festive season)

Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
he liked her a lot
He liked her cute figure,
he thought she was hot

But could a flame ever burn
for a match and a stick?
It did quite literally;
He burned up pretty quick.

(Stick Boy and Match Girl in Love)
Donald Armfield
A fan of Tim Burton. Who brought us Edward Scissorshands. Nightmare Before Christmas and many others.

These shorts are a little morbid read through a child's eyes. If your kid is afraid of bumps in the night then avoid this book.

I enjoyed every story starting with something strange and ending with a laugh or smirk.
Diletta
Adorabile, malinconico, infido. Ovviamente da leggere così, in lingua originale, non oso immaginare la traduzione italiana. Consigliatissimo.
Claudette
Sep 22, 2011 Claudette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claudette by: Nicola
Two words.

Tim Burton.
Mhmd.
Quite flabbergasted by Tim Burton as I have always been and continue to be! Poems never really caught my interest before, but this book certainly did for obvious reasons. Well, I'm not sure whether I'm being biased or not but I sure sound like it. The stories manifested in the poems were all burtonized to the bone! I really loved that. The usual sense of Tim's own darkness was pretty absorbing too. I HAVE TO REREAD IT!
Faith-Anne
I love this book to bits. It's bizarre and really funny. Characters from this book of small poems become forever ingrained in the imagination. It's definitely worth a read if you have a warped sense of humor, as I do.
Tandis Toofanian
خیلی با حال است
که دختری را بشناسی که یک عالم چشم داشته باشد
ولی اگر بزند زیر ِ گریه
بدجوری خیس می شوی
Rana Heshmati
سر کلاس شیمی خوانده شد!!!:دی
Asti
I've always been a fan of Tim Burton. The Nightmare Before Christmas was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and while growing up I continued to watch his movies and fall in love with his work. I love that he has such a distinct style and that his work is so recognizable. Plus, he works with Johnny Depp all the time, and that's just pure deliciousness. (That's right. Huge Johnny Depp fan here.) So when I saw this book of poems by Tim Burton, I knew I wanted to read it.

If it were anyone else writ...more
Emilie Rosson
When I was about five years-old, my older cousins decided to have a sleepover at my house which involved watching an inordinate amount of Johnny Depp movies - one of which happened to be the enchanting Edward Scissorhands. I remember watching and, without consciously realising it, found it tapped into a very gothic part of my childish mind. I was always a particularly melancholy kid with a penchant for the dark and mysterious (although in hindsight this probably only really translated into "lack...more
Cecily Erker
At first glance, this looks like a total Edward Gorey ripoff, but Burton's crude, childlike watercolor and pen drawings are surprisingly heartrending, as if each is a metaphor for human failings or vices (or a victim of them). The accompanying poems are frequently as awkward as high school poetry (perhaps deliberately) but they have subtle wry, black humor. The title character comes from a poem about two parents who give birth to a boy with an oyster shell for a head, so they eat him as an aphro...more
Manda
I really really wanted to love this book, and give it five stars and write a gushy review about how deliciously talented Tim Burton is... but I just cant.

It was good, it was dark, it was very creative and full of wonderfully deranged ideas and characters. The illustrations are divine and I could look at the for days.

Two words though: Rhyme and meter. Sure, maybe the broken rhythm is part of the charm and maybe not all poetry has to fit into tightly structured patterns, but I just felt that if i...more
Tracie
I get bored quite easily. I can count on my fingers how many books I've read twice; I only need one hand for books I've turned right back to the first page after finishing.

This was one of those books.

The poems are very simple - written in the style you probably learned in second grade - but seems perfect for the stories Burton is writing. The characters - especially Oyster and Mummy Boy - are as lovable as half creature/monster children can be.

I wouldn't recommend it to most children, because...more
Brian
This is a strange book. It is very short. It is poetry by Tim Burton supported by little drawings by Tim Burton. I don't know what to say.

Most of the poems are about children who are different, mostly different in appearances, and most of these children have a hard time coping with these appearances. But if I was a kid drawn by Tim Burton I would definitely have issues. Some of the poems are slightly disturbing. Most are funny. Some are just bizarre. The artwork is great.

The Girl with Many Eyes

O
Lisa
3 and a half stars

description

This took me about 30 minutes to read. Maybe. Some of the "stories" were only one or two lines long!

I quite like Tim Burton's movies. I love the whole gothic-humour thing he does. Just very morose characters and situations.

I don't hate this. It's cute in a morbid way. It has very miserable, socially inept characters who seem to suffer one way or another. And that's fine, I wanted the book to be that way.

I just expected it to be better. The poetry/writing is really amateur and...more
  • Amphigorey Too
  • Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • Lenore : Noogies (Issues 1-4)
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • The Boy Who Kicked Pigs
  • Return of the Bunny Suicides
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
Timothy "Tim" William Burton is a prolific American film director/writer, best known for the dark imagry and quirky nature of his popular films. He is also the author and illustrator of the poetry collection "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories."
More about Tim Burton...
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas Burton on Burton The Art of Tim Burton (Standard Edition) Tim Burton Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: The Illustrated Story

“Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
he burned up quick.”
331 likes
“Son, are you happy?
I don't mean to pry,
but do you dream of Heaven?
Have you ever wanted to die?”
161 likes