Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens: First Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens: First Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens: First Annual Collection

Award-winning anthologists Jane Yolen and Patrick Nielsen Hayden have combed through a year's worth of books and magazines and websites to find the most outstanding fantasy and science fiction stories of 2004--and collected them into a single volume aimed specifically at teens and young adults.

Many of today's most popular authors are represented here, including:
* Garth Nix
Published May 1st 2005 by Tor Teen (first published 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens

Gary Denton
Jul 04, 2015 Gary Denton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
I think that introducing young people to science fiction and fantasy is something the genres are neglecting. Unfortunately the selection of stories is poor. It is also heavily slanted, very heavily, toward fantasy. There is not one nuts and bolts hard science fiction in the lot. It is also more slanted toward feminine than masculine.

I enjoy fantasy, I also see a need for more stories appealing to young females, but not to such an extent as represented here in the first anthology series aimed at
Charles
Stuff I Read - The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens: First Annual Collection ed. Jane Yolen Review

I picked up this collection mainly to expand my horizons with speculative short fiction, and especially things written for a young adult audience, though to be honest many of these stories don't seem especially Young Adult. They are, though, very good stories, and I found myself liking each one. Which is saying something, that I liked basically every story in the collection. There w
Res
Apr 11, 2007 Res rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
When I was a teenager, I mostly read fantasy and folklore because the YA books were all about whiny people with trivial problems. I'm afraid that the whiny people with trivial problems have made it into some of these stories (Delia Sherman's "CATNYP," despite a nifty conceit about the NY Public Library's search system being alive, and Theodora Goss's "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm," in which I can't believe that a girl who's helping a Jew flee from having his house burned down still feels self-pi ...more
Jessi
Jun 18, 2009 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Once you get past the lame cover, this is a really good book. I reviewed this one for School Library Journal. It is filled with stories by several great sci-fi writers.

My favorites are "Dancer in the Dark" by David Gerrold and "Sergeant Chip" by Bradley Denton. The latter is a truly original story that everyone should read.

From School Library Journal:
Grade 9 Up -This superior collection is sure to be enjoyed by fans of both genres. Although every story has merit, two are exceptional: David Gerr
Camden Dusenbery
I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would. If i had to say the book is much more Fantasy than Science Fiction. I liked very few of the stories in this but I am also not a big fan of Fantasy stories.
Elizabeth
1.) contains Rudyard Kipling reprint (“They”, which I love, but which is problematic, and why reprint Kipling in a year’s best?)

2.) keeps recommending (in the blurbs before the stories) folks like Harlan Ellison and Will Shetterly, which makes me weep for the youth. THERE ARE BETTER WRITERS OUT THERE, PROMISE. ONES WHO DON’T DO WHAT ELLISON AND SHETTERLY DO. I haven’t been paying close attention because the book keeps losing my attention, but I think I detect a dearth of POC sf/f writers in the
Rena Sherwood
Apparently 2004 was a REALLY bad year for SF & F for teens. I had to quit at page 52, in the middle of the second story (which was just a promo for a series I'll never get around to reading). I figure if the first two sucked, it didn't look good for the rest of the anthology so I gave up. What a disappointment!
Feb 06, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good anthology of short sci-fi and fantasy, but not particularly memorable. The blurbs at the start of each story are kind of annoying in a Norton's Anthology kind of way, but that's probably an artifact of it being geared towards YA audiences.
The Carrion Librarian
This book has some really good stories like "Sergeant Chip", some mediocre stories like "Catnyp", and then it had one or two awfully boring stories like "Blood Wolf".
R. C.
Jun 21, 2009 R. C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Gerrold's contribution was amazing, an awesome example of what makes this genre so important. The rest of the book was just really good.
Amelia Mapstone
Hmmm...quite cool so far. This caught my eye and I thought it was awesome!! Okayy soo... random stories, but over all neat.
Andrea Doss
Andrea Doss is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Deborah Roberts
Deborah Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Lizzie Larabie
Lizzie Larabie rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Siberys
Siberys marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Karen Bautista
Karen Bautista marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Efreak
Efreak marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Saskia
Saskia rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Vikki
Vikki marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Mari K
Mari K marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sarah added it
Jan 04, 2016
Amygdala
Amygdala marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Halla Sigríður
Halla Sigríður marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...