Start by marking “Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Purple Cow: Transform ...

Seth Godin

Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  13,765 ratings  ·  541 reviews
You're either a Purple Cow or you're not. You're either remarkable or invisible. Make your choice.

What do Starbucks and JetBlue and KrispyKreme and Apple and DutchBoy and Kensington and Zespri and Hard Candy have that you don't? How do they continue to confound critics and achieve spectacular growth, leaving behind former tried-and true brands to gasp their last?

Face i
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2002)

Ahmad
This book is really a Purple Cow :) !

In a "remarkable" way, Seth sending a message that: if you don't convert your business into a Purple Cow (being Remarkable), most probably you'll not succeed.

He clarifies how the world of business have changed & how marketing of old days doesn't work anymore.

A LOT of good advices with evidence and study cases in this book.

I totally recommend it for people interested in business, sales and marketing.
Catherine
I'm being kind with a 4 star rating. While it's a well written book, and I believe most of what Seth says to be true, I was hoping for a guidebook. Instead, he affirmed what I already knew-marketing isn't as effective as it was 10 years ago, marketing doesn't guarantee you'll get noticed, and all of the normal avenues of marketing are no longer the powerhouses. It's not even print vs. digital. It's the remarkable vs. the unremarkable.

After reading The Dip (also by Seth Godin), I thought this one
Aaron Maurer
This post started out as a book review for Seth Godin's book Purple Cow, but morphed into something much more. If you have read Purple Cow, then this post will resonate. If you have not read Purple Cow, then read this post and then go read the book.

This book is over 10 years old and yet it still speaks to me on many levels. Like all the other marketing business books I have read this summer I read the material through the lens of education. Instead of worrying about how to make money, I read the
David Yeo
Purple Cow tells how the traditional 4-Ps of marketing is lacking to move consumers in current day's media noisy market place. Marketing Guru and author, Seth Godin defines a new ' P ' that stands for 'PURPLE COW'. He coined the term PURPLE COW to mean a product or service having achieve huge differentiation, innovative and scores high on wow factor. On this point, Seth describes that the PURPLE COW will first attract the early adopters who will then take it through into the masses. He reasons t ...more
Shreerang
Now I know that making my business a purple cow is important. It's critical. My future and the future of the world depends on it. Nothing matters more. I get it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how.

And that in a nutshell, is this book's problem. It keeps telling you "be excellent and be memorable" in so many different ways. I could have figured that out myself. Without a step-by-step plan customized to my particular situation that tells me *how* I can be excellent and unique, merely telling me to b
Zacharia Lorenz
This is the first book I've read by Seth Godin and, I must say, I'm definitely eager to read more.

As an advocate of inbound marketing, I was thoroughly impressed by Godin's observations of the direction that marketing was heading in 2003. He knew that more and more people were demanding transparency, that they no longer listened the outbound advertising strategies that dominated marketing budgets in the second half of the twentieth century. Ten years ago, Godin's understanding was leap and bound
Alain Burrese
I really liked “Purple Cow: Transform Your Business By Being Remarkable” by Seth Godin. It's a simple book with a powerful message supported by examples. Godin is right on the money with trying to get people to change the way they think about business and marketing. That's the key to this book, it gets you to think a different way. The tried and true marketing strategies of years gone by just don't work like they once did. If you really want your business to thrive, you must discover your own Pu ...more
Tarek Amr
I like Seth's blog and books, this one too is not bad, but very repetitive. I got a bit bored reading it. May be I am too late to read it now, hence, the boredom. The book itself and its message are not a purple cow to me anymore.
Micah Elliott
At the heart of this book is the notion of "Moore's idea diffusion curve". It's just a bell-curve that shows innovators (sneezers), early adopters, early/late majority, and laggards. The central theme of the book is that you need to target the front of that curve by appealing your "remarkable" product to them as a niche, and treat them very specially.

Contrary to the most popular review here (quite negative) calling this book an unnecessarily expanded essay, I would argue that Godin covers a lot
Scott Haraburda
This was an interesting book that many people I know recommended to me. It has an interesting cover, with a remarkable background of a purple and white cow design. The author states that most products today are boring, quickly forgotten by customers. What we need is a product that people remember and will talk about it. As implied by the title of this book, when you see a Purple Cow (a remarkable product or idea), you won’t forget it. That’s because products are like cows; they’re either remarka ...more
Lynn
I have literally had this book on my book shelf for years, and I'm glad to finally be able to say that I read it! If you are looking for the "how" behind making a Purple Cow, you may be disappointed. This book only introduces the idea and explains the "why" behind it. Looking briefly through the reviews here, I feel the people that found the book unsatisfying were looking for a how to guide. I plan to read Free Prize Inside soon, which boasts on the cover that it will tell you "How to make a Pur ...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - Purple Cow by Seth Godin

I have ardently become a fan of Seth Godin. It may his brash style of writing, his unique branding strategy of being the Rebel Marketing Guru or his bald head and over-sized glasses (I also purchased a pair) that has made me a fan of his. So that made me purchase ‘Purple Cow’.

The strange fact of the matter is this – I had seen the book many a times while shopping for new books. But I never thought I would ever want to read it. I mean, I picked
Aaron Wolfson
This book is a marketing and business classic that's still reverberating 11 years later.

The idea is so simple: a new product can't rely on traditional advertising to succeed anymore. It has to be worth talking about.

Remarkable, like a purple cow. Something that's not like the rest of what's out there.

Note that this doesn't mean better, exactly, though that helps. It just means "worth remarking about." Spreadable. Something you can't wait to tell your friends (and random strangers) about.

Of cours
Filipe Lemos
Seth Godin never disappoints me.

Seth Godin is a marketing guru. One of his strong points is that he writes a book every year (I mean every single year). And he's been doing this since 1999!!!

He says it doesn't matter if the book is great or just ok, as long has he keeps writing, he will eventually find something to WOW us: he's own purple cow.

In my humble opinion, I believe he did that with Linchpin. But it's fun to look back and see how he master theory evolved.

Purple cow is vintage Godin: stra
Amanda Young
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars. Good business book, some wonderful points, and definite food for thought for any entrepreneur. Main idea: Even being a "very good" business is bad - businesses/products have to be REMARKABLE to succeed.

My main complaint is that in the author's attempt to drive key points home there were parts of the book that just felt like they were going in circles. The whole book could probably be condensed to about 5-10 solid pages (a long essay?) and have made the same amo
Haider Al-Mosawi
The message of this book is very simple: Be remarkable.

It's full of stories of how companies achieved success by choosing to be different and offer products, services and a customer experience their competitors (if they had any) were too afraid to try out.

All cows look the same, and with time they become boring to look at and talk about. But a Purple Cow stands out and generates a buzz.

Companies in today's world need to invest in creating Purple Cows that help them grab attention in a world wher
Wendi Mitchell
On a road trip with my husband, we purchased this book (based on multiple recommendations) on my Kindle Fire. I read the entire book out loud to him while we drove from Kentucky to Michigan and back again. We've been making purple cow comments ever since. This book helped us, as business owners, to determine what we were doing right in our business, and identified some areas on which we may need to improve. Wonderful book that I'd highly recommend to anyone wanting to imrpove their situation in ...more
Avolyn Fisher
very interesting. I don't have much criticism, only wish it could lay out how. But I understand that there are infinite ways to go about creating a purple cow and no fool proof guaranteed way to go about doing so.

A bit funny to see Apple listed as the 50th most valuable brand of 2002 just barely beating out xerox and 30 places behind gilette. But of course who could have predicted that they would have been worth 70 billion in cash 9 years later.

Overall a good book and an enjoyable/informative re
Mac
A very light but significant read. Finished it in one sitting because the idea was very simple, yet underutilized, and the book is only 160 pages long. I'm gradually becoming a fan of Seth Godin ever since I finished the marvelous All Marketers are Liars. As an online entrepreneur, I find his work very informative that just makes sense. A lot of the stuff he puts out seems to be common sense, but common sense is not common, and I'm glad that his justifications to his ideas are clearly laid out i ...more
Gwendoline Van
The Purple Cow is pretty straightforward -- make remarkable products. If it's not remarkable, don't make it. If it's safe, don't make it. If it's vetted by a select focus group and by committee, don't make it. If it pushes the edges, make it. If it's stellar, different, noteworthy, passionate, and responds to a need people didn't even know they had, make it.

The old adage of "just throw a huge marketing budget at it" won't work. People are savvy. It's better to try 10 small launches than to put
Daianara
I picked this as a fast read on marketing strategy and ended up spending 4 or 5 days trying to reach the end. The book is full of platitudes, the main message is to have a remarkable product, don't keep all your eggs in one basket, conventional media is dead from a marketing point of view and, if you currently have a cash (purple) cow, milk it for all it's got whilst searching for the next one. Easier said than done.
I like the message about not being boring though.
ReD
An unremarkable and dated book. A quick read, but I don't feel like I came away from this book with anything.

Let me summerize the book in a few sentences:

MARKETING IS WRONG, ADVERTISEMENTS ARE DYING.
FOR STUFF TO SELL IT HAS TO BE AWESOME.
IF YOUR STUFF IS AWESOME AND IT SELLS DONT SAVE ALL THAT MONEY, SPEND IT ON MAKING SOMETHING MORE AWESOME.
YOU WILL FAIL.
KEEP TRYING.

Which is all fine and dandy, but I'm not entirely sure who the hell this book is supposed to help.
Lana Cook
Read this book in half a day - Seth takes the advertising world as you know it and twists it into something that is much more realistic of now, today. Not yesterday or what worked for businesses 20 years ago. He is edgy, no nonsense and provocative in his advice and opinions. Once you start this book it is very hard to put down and the ideas in it become part of your worldview and mindset if you are open to and believe what he is presenting in the book. LOVE THIS BOOK!
April Ziegler
Great business book and a quick read. The main point of this book is that in order to make your business successful, you need to find a way to make it remarkable. To make it stand out and be noticed among all the others out there. While there weren't too many new ideas in this book, it did make me think and sparked some ideas for things that I'd like to implement into my business to make it a little different.
Meredith Stranges
The online version is a little out of date, and there are a few typos, but it's really a good straight-up explanation of why being "very good" just isn't good enough. To market your product successfully nowadays it must be remarkable. This book explains how you can make your product remarkable, regardless of how simple and low-tech it is.
د.أمجد الجنباز
كتاب في منتهى الروعة يتحدث عن كيفية جذب انتباه الناس تجاه منتجك أو خدمتك
قد يخيل لك للوهلة الأولى ان الكتاب يتحدث عن التسويق
لكنه ليس كذلك
فهو يتحدث عن طرق تحسين المنتج ليكون ملفتا للانتباه، وعندها سيقوم المنتج نفسه بتسويق نفسه

في الكتاب الكثير من الطرق والوسائل الابداعية المفيدة للتطبيق في مختلف مناحي الحياة
Vassilena Valchanova
Една от най-слабите книги за бизнес, която някога съм чела. Всичко звучи чудесно на хартия, но вътре няма и един actionable съвет, който да може да се приложи. Хайде да си стиснем ръцете, че "Бъдете забележителни" е адски далеч от смислена маркетингова стратегия, става ли?
Arjen
Excellent read if you want to get yourself into modern marketing paradigms. You can finish this book in one evening and your marketing efforts will go from random blanks into targeted and structured campaigns. The least it will do is make you reflect on your current marketing or marketing in general.

I found it nice to discover that marketing is not picking up the phone and randomly calling a list of people, or printing a pile of shiny folders and dump them on the market. It's rather much more sc
Julie Day
I really liked this book. It gave me an idea on how to make the cover of my forthcoming romance ebook stand out from all the other romance books. And that idea has given me an idea how to promote it.
Socialbookshelves.com
Seth Godin is back again with another marketing book that’s packed full of enough good advice to blow your mind – here, he expands upon the idea that the old ways of marketing are dead and that the only way that your product or service will be noticed is if you stop advertising and start innovating instead.

That’s where the title comes from – it’s difficult to sell a cow with advertising, because at the end of the day, a cow is a cow and we’re all pretty bored of them by now. A purple cow, though
FULL Creative Lib...: Purple Cow 1 3 Mar 05, 2014 11:15AM
BLOG CA: Govt anbefaler nedlæggelse af tabsgivende STCL, bradley associates ref code 8523009036BA 1 4 May 29, 2013 03:43AM
My Latest Collaborative Book 1 3 May 05, 2013 09:40AM
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin...
Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World