Start by marking “Happy Birthday Hamster” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday Hamster

Happy Birthday Hamster

Hamster and Dog are back to celebrate Hamster's birthday!

Pink cake, blue cake, chocolate through-and-through cake.
Short cake, tall cake, cannot-eat-it-all cake.
WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Newbery Honor author Cynthia Lord and NEW YORK TIMES bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson return with a tale chock-full of fun rhymes and hilarious artwork about Hamster's favorite day: his
Published August 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday Hamster

Lauran Ferguson
Sep 28, 2013 Lauran Ferguson rated it it was amazing
I think I may just have a new favorite children's book! This book is so cute, and all the illustrations are very colorful and fill the whole page. Additionally, the illustrations foreshadow what is going to happen at the end of the story. I also enjoyed how the author has a rhyming pattern throughout the book. It is not hard to imagine why this book made it to the children's choice award book list. :)
DaNae
Jul 30, 2015 DaNae rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This could easily be the original version of the book that became BATTLE BUNNY.
Jennifer Heise
Feb 05, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
The Protagonist of "Hot Rod Hamster" is having a birthday. His friend/parental figure Dog takes him along on a shopping trip, where Hamster eagerly suggests what he would choose for his birthday-- but Hamster is disappointed as Dog stolidly continues with his planned errands. As the reader, of course, we see that Dog's henchmice are obtaining the requested items behind Hamster's back and out of his view... until Dog and Hamster return to Hamster's house to find a SURPRISE! Birthday party.

My soon
Kim
Grades PS - 1

The star of Hot Rod Hamster is back, celebrating his birthday. He's disappointed that his friend Dog seems to have forgotten his special day: even though Dog is running errands of a festive nature, they don't seem to have anything to do with Hamster. As Dog asks Hamster his opinion in the bakery and the toy store and the party store, Hamster doesn't notice his mouse friends scurrying to secure those items after the two of them leave. Toward the end of the "Long day, late day, all I
Barbara
Jul 16, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
On his birthday, Hamster and his canine friend have all sorts of errands to do, and Hamster is eager to help make choices regarding purchases. By the end of the day, though, he feels sad since no one remembered his birthday--or did they? This sweetly told story contains rhythmic lines that have to be read aloud: There are "spin toys, glow toys, wind it up and go toys." And there are "soft toys, hard toys, ride it through the yard toys" in the toy store. Many little ones will be able to relate to ...more
Lori
Feb 22, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Perfect for preschool through first grade, I love that this book can be read different ways. The story makes complete sense if you read only the speech bubbles. The story makes sense if you only read the rhyming text. If you read the pictures, you'll gain important insights that are critical to understanding the story. Very thoughtfully created. Plus, even though the repeating question "Which would you choose" is directed toward Hamster, it's fun to pause with a young reader and let them choose ...more
Mymcbooks
Nov 14, 2011 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing
My Review: The illustrations in this book are vibrant, bold and beautiful with incredible attention to detail. From the dog, toys, cake to Hamster, this has help to bring the story to life. Every child will find this book fun and engaging to read. Great job Derek!

FTC Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the illustator/author in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion in any way.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Aug 29, 2014 Vernon Area Public Library KIDS rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids age 3-5
Shelves: picture-books
Anyone looking for a "birthday" book, whether as a gift or to read as a classroom "mystery reader", is sure to find "Happy Birthday Hamster" a hit. Hamster is excited about his birthday, but it seems to him as if all of his friends have forgotten his special day. But shhhhh, they planned a surprise party for Hamster. This is a really cute book, with adorable illustrations, that would be great to share with kids age 3-5.

Reviewed by:
Lisa Coleman, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Sep 26, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book a lot. In my opinion it was quite adorable and cute. It's a good storyline, and with the big illustrations as well as, great vibrant colors it's great for young children. It teaches young children to care about those who mean something to them. It's a great story for children to read. I would suggest it to parents and teachers for their children to read.
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 23, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the illustrations in the first book, "Hot rod hamster" and I love them in this one. Poor bear has to distract hamster all day so his friends can prepare a surprise party for hamster.Hamster can't believe his best friend has forgotten his birthday and starts to get sad when the surprise unfolds and the party gets started.
Kristen
Just like in "Hot Rod Hamster", Cynthia Lord and Derek Anderson combine a bit of bouncy rhyme and repetition to inspire audience partication: "Red box, brown box, sparkles up and down box./ Tall box, wide box, what could be inside box. Which would YOU choose?" This time, it's Hamster's birthday, and Dog is taking him on errands while the friends set up the surprise party.
Kevin Doyle
Jun 07, 2013 Kevin Doyle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
The illustrations in this book are the best parts. We love the little rats sneaking around in the background. I also enjoy the mixture between rhyming text and dialogue between the two friends. This blend makes for dynamic read aloud time. The bulldog voice and hamster voice are such fun to imitate! "Which would you choose?"
Mary
Jan 12, 2012 Mary rated it liked it

A picture book to celebrate birthdays and great friends you can count on. It seems Hamster's friend Dog has forgotten his birthday, but then they return to Hamster's house. This book begs to be read aloud and is a good particpatory book. Every two page spread asks the audience "What would you choose?"

Amy
Hamster has a birthday and in the end his friends surprise him with a party. The friends and hamster have lots of decisions to make during the story and they ask, "Which would you choose?" After the story, students could plan their own surprise parties.
Carol Royce Owen
Sep 09, 2014 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
The Hot Rod Hamster books are great for giving choice to the young reader. In this one follow hamster as he runs errands with his best friend on his birthday. In every shop he is surprised by his friend's purchases, as nothing seems to be for his birthday. Has his friend forgotten him?
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Hamster is excited for his birthday but it seems that his friend has forgotten, so they spend the day running errands. Hamster receives quite the surprise at the end. Illustrations are bright and bold. The text is a combination of fun verses and dialogue.
The Brothers
Instead of race cars (last time Hamster was building himself a dragster in the junk yard), Hamster is now asked a series of questions about birthday stuff. Dex (3 y.o.) loves answering the question, "Which would you choose?" - usually with "all of them!"

Cute illustrations.
Kayla
Jul 11, 2013 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. Get the hamster out of the house so they can throw him a surprise party. They had spies to follow him to see what kind of cake and toys he wanted. The illustrations were so cute and fit the rhyming story great. I enjoyed this book. You could read it aloud on a kids birthday.
Dec 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
I think this would be fun for a birthday-themed storytime. I liked the mix of rhyme and non-rhyme coupled with big, bright, expressive illustrations.
Beverly
Aug 28, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
hamster is so furry and cute! and on each page, the reader is asked to choose what he/she would like best of the given options. Clever idea
Tricia Barber
Feb 12, 2013 Tricia Barber rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-reviews
A great book to use when talking about adjectives and opposite words. Very colorful. The ending was very predictable.
Carol Mcgloshen
Just because you think your friends or family forgot something, they might not of. A cute way for children to see how just because your friends don't appear to remember something, they really may
Christopher Skelskey
This book has a lot of speech bubbles and voice in flection. The kids enjoy predicting what is coming next.
Megan
Sep 08, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a wonderful, rhyming picture book which would be perfect for a birthday themed storytime. The illustrations are colorful, bright and fluffy!
Kim Miner Litton
Nov 26, 2012 Kim Miner Litton rated it really liked it
Very cute birthday books. Kids love stories where they can spot the impending surprise, and this one is definitely one of those.
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Rodney Figueiredo
Rodney Figueiredo rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Julie
Dec 30, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think young children will enjoy the rhyming and interactive text of Happy Birthday Hamster.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Clair
Clair rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • The Baby That Roared
I'm the author of the children's book, RULES."
More about Cynthia Lord...