Start by marking “Monday is One Day” as Want to Read:
Monday is One Day

Monday is One Day

One by one, the days of the week roll by. Monday is one day, Tuesday is blue shoes day, and Wednesday is halfway day.

Published April 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Monday is One Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monday is One Day

This simple, short book is a sweet, rhyming poem about parents missing their children when the go to work each day and looking foward to weekend family time.

What is so great about this book is the families it depicts.
Monday is a single, white, blue-collar dad with a son and a dog.
Tuesdiay is a single, white mom carrying a briefcase.
Wednesday is a black, straight couple with twins and a cat.
Thursday is an older couple with a farm who could be the grandparents of the little boy.
Friday is a m
A sweet reassurance to children of working parents that parents look forward to coming home and spending time with the kids on the weekend. (Ironically, I received this book weeks ago but didn't read it until yesterday, the first day of my summer vacation.) Several different family make-ups are represented in this book (single parent families, mom and dad families, dad and dad families, and what appears to be grandparent families), and not all the families are white, so just about any child will ...more
Colby Sharp
Aug 29, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Reading this book to my four year old the night before back to school PD made me really sad. It is basically about making it through the weak.

The thing I find most interesting in this book is the families. Each day of the week has a picture of a family doing something with their children. Monday has a single dad saying goodbye to his boy. Tuesday a single mom with her daughter. The illustrator also includes families from different ethnicity. One family appears to be grandparents raising a boy. T
Jul 26, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As families wake up to the new week, the hardest part is being away from each other. Follow the days of the week here for a celebration of how working families can connect and spend time together throughout the week. The days continue to move forward from Monday to Tuesday, filled cuddles and puddles. Then come Wednesday and Thursday with raspberry kisses and dinosaur growls. Friday’s the last day of the workweek, so help pick out a tie. Then comes the fun of Saturday and Sunday for families to ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This sweet and simple story was inspired by the author's own feelings about going back to work after his infant son was born. It depicts many different types of people in many different types of families - single parents, gay parents, grandparents, etc. - and gives cute suggestions for counting down the days until the weekend.

Monday is one day:
One safe snuggly cuddle.

Wednesday's halfway day:
Three raspberries on the nose.

The illustrations by Julian Hector reminded me a lot of the original Curi
Feb 16, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "A love note from a working parent to a child, counting the days of the week -- each one a special opportunity to spend time together.

When Saturday and Sunday finally come, it's time for little ones and the adults who love them to play, share, and celebrate. Every day of the week offers a special opportunity for families to enjoy being together!"

My Review: I ordered this
Grades PS - 2

This reassuring picture book makes the countdown to the weekend fun for all those families who don't have a lot of time together during the school- and work-week. Arthur Levine's rhyming text pairs beautifully with cheerful illustrations from Julian Hector. The high point of the book is the universality: a mix of family types and ethnic backgrounds are shown in urban, suburban, and rural settings. The message is clearly sent that, whatever the family make-up may be-- nuclear family
I borrowed this book because I recognized the style of This Is the Firefighter, a book that we liked a lot. Now, while I appreciate the efforts the author makes to picture diversity, this book is just not half as good as the before mentioned book. But, although the pictures are maybe not stunning, I really like the use of the basic colors and the clean style. The prose on the other hand is a little forced.
Jun 07, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Appreciated that this title is from the perspective of the working parent (which I have almost always been) to their children assuring them that the weekend is looked forward to and cherished just as the children are even when the parent is working. Diversity of families is shown in the illustrations...reassuring words count through the days of week from Monday to Sunday. I love the end of the book showing all the families enjoying a beautiful day with a picnic. This is a nice option for working ...more
Jody Lewandowski
Uplifting look at the daily lives of families with working parents. Yes, we are apart at times, but when we are together we love each other and enjoy each other's company. In little bits all week long, we stay connected, and then the weekends are special together time. Resonates with my children, and warms my heart.
I particularly noticed the different types of families portrayed - dual and single parent, grandparents, gay, straight, multicultural, different economic classes. Nice.
Nov 16, 2013 Madison rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This short children's book is sweet and it is about how families do not get to spend much time together during the weeks because of school and work, but when the weekend comes, they can spend time together and have fun. It counts down the days until the weekend, starting with "Monday is One Day..."

If looking for a book to read children, I would suggest this book, but I did not think that this was a book that would serve the purpose of much more than that.
The Library Lady
Jun 20, 2011 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes books shout that they have a mission. This one seems to be saying "Here I am--a book about working families, and look, I've even got a 2 daddies family!"
Okay, but the prose is awkward--there seems to be some attempt at a rhyming pattern, but nothing consistent. And despite the emotion that SHOULD be in this story, it feels empty. The artwork doesn't help--it's flat and angular. One more for "the purpose gets in the way of a real story" category.
Jun 10, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week.

I really liked the idea of this book and how all-encompassing the word "family" can be, but this book fell a little flat for me. I don't think the problem is with the text, which was deliberately simple. I think the illustrations, while not bad, were flat and not especially interesting. A stronger illustrator could have turned this book into a winner.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Jul 10, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Even the workaholics among us count the days until we have a day off, and in this sweet tribute to the love between a parent and a child, that counting has even more significane. Once the work week is done, they can spend special time together, but even when duty calls, they manage to sneak in some special moments together. This is a gentle reminder about what matters in our lives.
Sep 02, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book is a great way to talk about the days of the week and also for children that get upset when parents have to go to work. I really enjoyed how the author pointed out one way a parent can connect with a child in the morning before work. I also enjoyed the fact that the illustrator included all types of families including multiples, different races, and different marriages.
Dec 15, 2013 Emelda rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-family-ok
Cute book to help kids with the day of the week and dealing with transition times for when their parents work. One family of color is spotlighted, as are two single parent families, one gay male family, and an older couple raising a child.
Rebecca Saxon
A sweet book for working parents to talk about that and tell their kids they love them. Lovely diverse representation of families including single parents, same sex family, grandparents as well as multiethnic. The only negative is that the story itself could be stronger.
Aug 06, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just finished looking at this new picture book featuring lots of different families of all sorts reassuring their kids that no matter where they are or what they do, they are loved! Seeing a child with two dads or being cared for by grandparents is great.
Jun 15, 2013 Prplpckl rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-with-anabel
A book that I thought was about days of the week but is more about having to leave your child to go to work everyday and subversively about how everybody's family is different (traditional couple, single parent, grandparents as parents, adopted, gay parents)
May 26, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I like the colors, I like the progression of the book, and I like that the text doesn't specifically stipulate "THIS IS GOING TO BE A MULTICULTURAL AND NON-NUCLEAR FAMILY BOOK," but that the art just feels natural.
Apr 16, 2011 Stefani rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-picture
Meh. I liked seeing the different types of families and the idea that the different families is not the point. The point is that the week passes and families spend time with one another, but the real celebration is the weekend.

Fun, but nothing special.
Apr 11, 2012 Marcia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: prek-2
A simple, brightly illustrated picture book that reassures kids of having time to spend with their working parents. As I'm seeing in more and more books, diverse families are shown, and gender roles abandoned. Yeah! Cute for the young set to share with a parent.
Jun 13, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful picture book for working parents to share with their children. This story shows several different types of families as they each count the days off till the weekend comes, and they can spend all their time doing fun things together.
Apr 15, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book
It's a basic rhyming book but it shows different types of families - two dads, Af Am parents, mom and dad. That was just the illustrator's interpretation. This book has rhyming, counting, and days of the week but doesn't feel overwhelming in that sense.
Jul 15, 2011 Irene rated it really liked it
I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Levine a couple days ago and can honestly say he is just as charming as this book <3 Will definitely share it with my nephews.
Michelle Nero
Jan 08, 2012 Michelle Nero rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
All about various families making it through the week . . . until the weekend, when more time can be spent together.

A very simple rhyming text, but it is the pictures that make this book special in its representation of different families and the work they do.
Jo Whittemore
Feb 20, 2011 Jo Whittemore rated it really liked it
Had the privilege of hearing the author read this aloud. Love the soothing and perfect. A great cuddle-your-kid read. Also, the pictures are darling! :-)
Shanshad Whelan
Feb 28, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it it was ok
Forced rhyme and painfully cliched rhyme just makes my teeth ache. The sentiment is good but the execution just doesn't do it for me.
Oct 23, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
terrific book for modern families. Not only does this short book hit the nail on the head of what it's like to work and parent, but they show a variety of families doing it. Yeah diversity!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
  • Love, Mouserella
  • My Dadima Wears a Sari
  • Books Always Everywhere
Arthur A. Levine is the U.S. editor of the phenomenally successful Harry Potter series.

Levine grew up in Elmont, on the fringes of New York City. In 1984, Levine joined the staff of the publishing house G.P. Putnam's Sons. While at Putnam's, Levine edited several books, including Rafe Shannon's The Rough-Face Girl and two Caldecott award-winning titles: Officer Buckle and His Dog Gloria and Mi
More about Arthur A. Levine...