Start by marking “The Mistress' House” as Want to Read:
The Mistress' House

The Mistress' House

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Three beautifully intertwined love stories...

The rules are made to be broken...

When the handsome, rakish Earl of Hawthorne buys the charming house across the back garden from his town home, he never expects the lovely lady he installs there to ensnare him completely.

Again...

After Lady Anne Keighley marries the earl, it seems a shame to leave the house empty, so she off
Published February 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Mistress' House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistress' House

To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth HoytThen Came You by Lisa KleypasThe Secret Pearl by Mary BaloghThe Promise by Kate WorthThe Duke by Gaelen Foley
Historical Romances featuring a "Fallen Woman"
80th out of 87 books — 37 voters
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyWhen He Was Wicked by Julia QuinnSlightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghRomancing the Countess by Ashley MarchWicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
Historical Widows
62nd out of 91 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Angelc
At first, I didn't realize that this book was actually three interconnected short stories instead of one long story. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the author wove the stories together.

I loved the first story about Thorne and Anne. Their affair was fun and tender at the same time. The scenes where they were keeping their affair a secret were really cute to read about. I loved Thorne's lazy confidence and how he really cared about Anne's feelings. I loved Thorne so much in the first story
Sandy M
This is my first time reading Leigh Michaels, and I have to say this is such a delightful story that I know I’m more than likely going to be glomming her backlist when I can. I enjoyed everything about this book, the characters, the storyline, and, of course, the writing. What makes it the most fun is how Ms. Michaels has woven three heroes and heroines together into one book, giving them their own story while threading it around and through one charming inanimate object - a house that turns mis ...more
Emery Lee
Oct 11, 2011 Emery Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers of light sexy historicals
This is a light and very sexy read comprised of 3 connected novellas that all take place in a house Lord Hawthorne buys for his presumed mistress. I won't go into the individual plots but suffice to say they all involve steamy seduction (It is a mistress house, after all!) The stories also stand alone, so it's easy to break this into three separate reads although the chapters actually run together.

Although the author has 80+ books in (and out of) print this is her frist foray into historical rom
LuvGirl
I only read the first story in this 3 story anthology because I actually wasn't interested in the storyline of the others. The first one was okay if you like fluffy cotton candy romance. I have to be in the mood for it so I was happy the first one came to an end about 30% in. It wasn't horrible but not spectacular either. I've yet to read one of these short stories that I really loved. They just don't have enough time to be believable as a romance where the leads fall in love and get married. Ma ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Plot:

This is not just one story, they all connect, but it is actually three stories. In the first we meet Hawthorne who meets a mysterious woman, who wants a lover. But he ends up falling in love with his Lady Anne. In the next story Anne rents out their former love nest (that is just behind their own house) to a friend who meets the Earl's cousin. And then at last Hawthorne gets a ward who causes a bit of scandal of her own in the house.

My thoughts:

After my last book that I could not focus on I
Bookaholics
The Mistress’ House by Leigh Michaels
Historical Romance – Feb. 1st, 2011
3 1/2 stars

The Mistress’s House contains 3 romance novellas set in the same place - Number Five Upper Seymour street. It is the house right behind the Earl of Hawthorne’s townhouse, bought specifically for him to keep his mistresses within reach.

In the very first novella, the Earl of Hawthorne unwittingly finds true love in his mistress’s house. Widowed and in possession of a small fortune, Lady Anne Keighly wants to avoid
Kathie (katmom)
THIS WAS MARVELOUS!!! Can I give it TEN stars? No? Dang....

This was free at Amazon this week...

This is actually three books in one...each one leading from the first.

Thorne, the Earl of Hawthorne, buys a house at the end of his garden thinking it might be a nice place to put a mistress...then Anne asks him to "ruin" her...she's a widow and wants to be free to do her own thing, but her brother keeps throwing men at her...trying to find her a husband.

He moves Anne into the house and she moves into
Teresa Gibson
0 stars.
I wasted my time so you won't have to.
This was my "waiting room" read, a free Kindle download.

Why can't Regency romances be like they used to? Snappy dialogue, hero and/or heroine with a "past" or circumstances beyond their control, and lots of meddling titled peeps?

The Mistress' House contains three short novellas each featuring a different heroine who happens to find herself in said house. But wait a minute, they're good girls, they really are...

Heroine number one is Anne, a brunette.
Three romances revolving around a house: Anne and Thorne, Richard and Felicity, and the forgettable couple. The first one was great - and original in the genre, I think. The second one was beyond awful. The heroine's motivations are absurd beyond absurd and the hero's reactions match. The third was quite forgettable.
Mey Buentipo
This is my first time to read from this author and also my first to the type of writing. I am surprised about 3 stories in a book. I was thinking that maybe it was 3 short stories from different authors.

I enjoyed every story, but it is still better if there is depth in each of the h/h involved. I felt that each story were rushed for their HEA. What captivated me, is how wity and funny each story is. I especially like the 3rd story. I may not like the heroine, because for me she is childish. I l
Sabrina
I feel I need to preface this review by letting it be known that I don’t like books under 100 pages, known characters from a series in a novella excluded. And while this book is just over 300 pages, it is actually 3 separate stories independent of each other. I just don’t think it gives the author enough time to build the characters, and I like my books to have a good plot.

That being said, The Mistress' House fell short on a lot of points I am very adamant about. I didn’t really get to know the
Wendy Hines
The Earl of Hawthorne, Thorne, is a notorious rake. So when the house across his back garden comes on the market, he buys it. It will be perfect to stow a mistress and with his own backyard hugging it, no one will know of his comings and goings.

Lady Anne Keighley is a young and beautiful widow, who was left with a large inheritance that is bringing out all of the fortune hunters. Anne has no desire to marry again, so she beseeches Thorne to ruin her so she can be alone and have control of her ow
Linda Banche

When the Earl of Hawthorne buys a second London townhouse whose garden connects with his own, he has no idea his purchase will become a trysting place. In a trio of connected tales in Leigh Michaels's delicious THE MISTRESS' HOUSE, three noble cousins find their matches in their mistresses.

First is the Earl of Hawthorne himself. Thorne meets the widowed Anne, who wants the not-as-rakish-as-he-appears earl to ruin her so she won't have to marry again. Second is Richard, the Earl of Colford, whom
Booklover1335
This is the first book that I’ve read by Leigh Michaels. I was drawn to the concept of the three romance stories revolving around a house...kind of a “if the walls could talk” kind of intrigue.

The first of the three novellas is the story of Anne, a widowed woman who wants to safeguard herself from ever having to marry again by setting out to completely ruin her reputation. So she approaches the Earl of Hawthorne to put her in a compromising situation thus ultimately gaining the freedom she desir
Stephanie Burkhart
Michaels pens a captivating read with "The Mistress' House." Set in historical England during the hey day of the ton, the novel revolves around three couples who are equally ensnared and enthralled by the power of love.

What I found intriguing was Michaels use of the Number Five Upper Seymour Street. The House is quiet and unassuming, yet behind its doors many passions are unleashed, equal to that of turbulent waves crashing on a sandy shore.

In the first vignette, Lord Hawthorne (Thorne) buys Num
Barbara
A good story, actually three romances in one. The story starts with the rakish Earl of Hawthorne as he purchases the town house right behind his in order to more easily visit any mistress he decides to install there. He meets the widow Anne who wants to take a lover, thereby ruining her reputation so her brother will stop pushing her to marry again. Things don’t turn out as Anne thought they would, but certainly how they should. Then her good friend Felicity comes to visit and is installed in th ...more
Judith
4.5 out of 5. A truly delightful historical that reads like a novel but is really three stories in one. It is really the story of a house that forms the backdrop of the love stories of three women, all of whom are ensconced in the house for varying reasons, the first being to house a mistress in close proximity to the home of the earl--the gardens adjoin so slipping off to visit the mistress is far easier than having to travel a distance or worry about being seen by one of the London gossips. In ...more
April
THE MISTRESS’ HOUSE by Leigh Michaels is a delightful historical romance set in Regency England. It is well written with depth, details, twists, turns and is fast paced. It has romance, sensuality, love, witty dialog, mystery, secrets, and did I mention love stories. This is a story with three intertwined love stories. First, we have the sexy, handsome rakish Earl of Hawthorne, Thorne, who just happens to buy a charming little house across the garden from his town. He sets this up to be “The Mis ...more
The Mistress’ House is a regency romance novel that centers on the passion inspired by one house, the mistress’ house. Instead of focusing on one love story, The Mistress’ House centers on three different couples that are brought together by the one house. The Mistress’ House is a “hot” romance with plenty of scandalous happenings at the mistress’ house. It’s a good way to warm up a cold and snowy winter night!

The Earl of Hawthorne, Thorne, is convinced to buy a house that neighbors his garden b
Terra
This is a wonderful book of what love at first sight can bring about. Three stories interwoven as one large one doesn't deter from how deliciously vivid each interaction is.

The story starts out with Lady Anne Keighley who just wants to have lessons on how to be a mistress. After having been married to an old man with one foot in the grave for a number of years she is in no way ready, willing or wanting of marriage again anytime soon. Little does she know she is about to get more than she bargain
April
Freebie, I think?

I was at first baffled by this one. I liked how it started, and I liked the characters, but I couldn't figure out why it seemed to fly —the story was going too fast, wrapping up too quickly, but I could see that I wasn't even a third of the way into the book; there just wasn't enough conflict to last through the length of the book. I honestly couldn't figure out why that was.

And then I realized it was three books in one —it's essentially a trilogy featuring three different coupl
Kelly
I solid, not terribly involved historical romance that takes three novellas and ties them together with a house an Earl plans to use as a place to stash his mistresses. Of course, the Earl falls in love with the first woman he entices there and the happy couple end up letting their friends use the house. Those friends fall in love. And their friends fall in love. And so on and so on.

The fact that we're dealing with three interconnected novellas means that each of the stories moves very quickly.
Carrie
Feb 16, 2011 Carrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
THE MISTRESS’ HOUSE is three stories in one book. I enjoyed each of the stories, but wish that the plots had been expanded into multiple books instead of three short stories. The romances were simplistic and there was no real “will they/won’t they” feeling. From the moment each of the characters meet, with the exception of Anne and the Earl, they are together. There aren’t any real obstacles in their way and I wanted something more from the story. There isn’t anything wrong with the way the book ...more
Lara
I liked this historical romance about how three women found their husbands through having affairs at a certain house. The first story was my favorite of the three--a young widow who wants to make herself unattractive to the marriage-minded young men her brother is throwing at her. The second was a bit unbalanced, with a young woman who doesn't fit well in the class system obsessed with the love of her former (now deceased) lover. The third made me a bit uncomfortable. The young woman is a bit li ...more
Joanne
Mar 07, 2011 Joanne added it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
5 Upper Seymour Street becomes the address of three very willful women with strong desires to be taken seriously about who they are and what they want, irregardless of society's views of what they should become.
From the Earl of Hawthorne and Anne Keighley, to Lord Coulton and Felicity, to Marquis Julian and Georgianna, the house sees it's share of outrageous affairs.
All of the women in this novel are not willing to give in to society's demands of what they are expected to be. All are willing to
Victoria Vane
Aug 25, 2012 Victoria Vane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers of light sexy historicals

Fabienne Barrons
Une romance sympa et enlevée qui raconte deux histoires plus ou moins enchâssées avec des personnages masculins assez séduisants.
Shirley Hamlod
Another very good novel by this author. Such a bodice ripping yarn! How realistic the plot is I'm not sure but I don't care it was good fun anyway!
Farrah
The Mistress' House was a fun read and not what I first expected. The rogues involved were absolutely delicious pretending to train their woman as a mistress or ruin them from any other man. The women were quite determined to have their way and were very seductive in their ways even if it all backfired on their plans of not marrying. My favorite female? Anne Keighley My favorite male? The Earl of Hawthorne of course! If you've got a short attention span or looking for something quick to read, le ...more
Suz
This was a fun little book.

Three separate, yet slightly linked stories that all take place because of a common house (the eponymous Mistress's house). Three fun, bite-sized romance snacks.

I liked the first two stories, but I was not so much a fan of the third. The first two involved women who were maybe a bit damaged, but knew what they wanted and happened to fall in love (where would the romance be without love!). The third story had a young girl and I felt she was too young and naive and annoy
  • Never a Bride
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Kiss at Your Own Risk (Soulfire, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Legacy
  • Bridleton
  • Loki's Daughters
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • The Privateer
  • Twice a Rake
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • On Falcon's Wings
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
Leigh Michaels is the pseudonym used by LeAnn Lemberger (b. July 27 in Iowa, United States), a popular United States writer of over 85 romance novels. She has published with Harlequin, Sourcebooks, Montlake Romance, Writers Digest Books, and Arcadia Publishing. She teaches romance writing at Gotham Writers' Workshop (www.writingclasses.com) She is the author of On Writing Romance.

When Leigh was fi
More about Leigh Michaels...
On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells Just One Season in London The Wedding Affair Birthday Scandal, The The Corporate Wife (Tender Romance S.)