Start by marking “Suicide Kings (Wild Cards, #20)” as Want to Read:
Suicide Kings (Wild Cards, #20)

Suicide Kings (Wild Cards #20)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  567 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestseller, the third of a new generation of Wild Cards tales

In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent survived to mutate into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers. The Wild Cards shared-unive
Published December 28th 2010 by Tor Science Fiction (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Kings

Mark
Feb 15, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Blew through this in about two days. A nice, fast read. Despite the fact that I was disappointed with the previous book in the trilogy, I'm glad I checked this one out because it's back to more of what I remembered enjoying from Inside Straight (and more recently, reading the original Wild Cards). It's not rock-your-world deep, but it's interesting, and there's something inherently fun about action-packed superheroes and it's hard to mess this up. Can't help but read stories like this and wonder ...more
Alytha
Jan 09, 2012 Alytha rated it really liked it
Marco
Jan 26, 2016 Marco added it
Suicide Kings ist der zwanzigste Band der Wild Cards-Reihe und nach Inside Straight und Busted Flush der Abschluss der Committee-Trilogie. Wie schon in früheren Bänden wird auch hier die Geschichte als "Mosaic Novel" vorgelegt, in der die Autoren die anfangs weitestgehend unabhängig von einander wirkenden Geschichten ihrer Charaktere schreiben, diese dann aber als Kapitel einer größeren Gesamtgeschichte angeordnet werden.
Suicide Kings greift nicht nur Charaktere und Handlungsbögen der vorangegan
Alex Sarll
The last three novels I've read have all been collaborations, but I'd say this is the one where that's most obvious. Not a bad thing, by any means - but I would have expected to be able to see the seams between Pratchett and Baxter, or Stephenson and Bear, more easily than between different members of the Wild Cards consortium. I think this is the first book I've read in the series where Martin only (co-)edited, rather than contributing directly, and I did wonder whether that would impact on the ...more
Shane Harcombe
Jan 04, 2014 Shane Harcombe rated it really liked it
I picked up this book solely due to George RR Martin's name on the cover, being a significant fan of his 'Game of Thrones' series. I kept it due to the blurb sounding like a cross between X-Men and a war story and a curiosity at what a "mosaic novel" might be like. I was fascinated right from page 1.

The story was engaging, the characters interesting despite their unrealistic powers and I thought the transition from one author to another was seamless. I couldn't tell which parts were written by w
Aaron
May 08, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I have not read a wild card novel in a while.
Theresa
Nov 05, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Suicide Kings
By George R.R. Martin

A great piece of editing Magic… Melinda Snodgrass I bow to your ability to seamlessly blend the story. As a Mosaic novel, many who look into the series may wonder that this book has so many authors. It is due to the dedication of the authors, the commitment to the consortium rules and ideals that create a seamless piece. Even knowing the various authors for a while I could not pull out any individual writing style…

Suicide Kings is the final third in the trilo
Alan
Mar 01, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
What I have always liked about the George R.R. Martin edited Wild Cards series is the same thing critics have lauded him for in his best selling Song of Fire and Ice fantasy novels. Anything can happen to any character, and the characterization is well done. That happens in the concluding volume of this cycle, and I would have given it a higher rating if it wasn't for the fridging of Jerusha and Ellen. The writers do a very good job of developing both characters in this volume, and I think logic ...more
T.L. Barrett
Mar 06, 2011 T.L. Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the world of Wildcards, an alien virus was released over New York City in 1946. 90% of all those who contracted the virus died in horrible ways. of the survivors, 90% became hideously mutated due to a psychic reaction, their bodies twisted into parodies of the human shape. These were called Jokers. The lucky 1%, became aces, gifted with marvelous powers.

Suicide Kings is the third novel in a trilogy, that mostly details the aces (and some Jokers) who work for the UN sanctioned Committee. This
John Goode
Jun 23, 2011 John Goode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, reading a Wild Cards is a lot like diving into cold water. You fret about it for a while, wonder of you want to do it or not, say screw it and jump in, and then wonder why you fought it.

These books have become more and more involved over the years. What started as a series of short stories that collected a moment of time, the novels have become one complete story that is written by different authors. What used to be a great series for picking up and reading a story here and there has beco
Rob
...A book written by so many different authors will always pose serious challenges for the editor. Martin has done an admirable job in making all these different authors speak with one voice but Suicide Kings also clearly shows some of the drawbacks of this process. Especially in the early parts of the novel the constant jumps between characters made this book though going. Once the direction of the story became clear, my reading speeded up significantly and I must admit the finale of the book i ...more
Jacqie
Jun 27, 2010 Jacqie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one just fine. I'm amazed by how the editors have managed to put together a pastiche novel that is blended so well- you can't tell which authors have written which section. I'll admit I'm most partial to Noels' bits- he's a fascinating, complex guy.
This book takes place largely in sub-saharan Africa in a fictional tinpot dictatorship called the People's Paradise of Africa. The bad guys seemed bad, but I couldn't truly feel the horror that the writers were trying to convey. Maybe it'
Greyweather
Aug 21, 2013 Greyweather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

Suicide Kings, as the third book of the Committee triad, follows the tradition established by Jokers Wild, the third book of the original Wild Cards triad. While the two preceding books were always composed of alternating chapters penned by the different contributing authors, Suicide Kings is a true mosaic novel in which all of the contributions are edited together into a single continuous story. The chapters are organized into days, starting with the even
Alan
Mar 11, 2010 Alan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adrenaline junkies and heroes who look good in tights
Recommended to Alan by: Previous work
Robert Crumb once said, in his introduction to a very different book (American Splendor, 1985), that "Comic books are for kids. Adolescent male power fantasies, that's what most comic books contain; escape fantasies for pimply-faced young boys... yep." I don't agree with Crumb—but he has a point. Most stories about superheroes really are easily dismissed—shallow, thoughtless festivals of stretch tights and violence. But there are exceptions.

I've been enjoying the Wild Cards series since the fi
Jp
Jan 04, 2010 Jp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
Shawn Sines
Mar 25, 2013 Shawn Sines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is fun watching Wild Cards evolve. I've been reading the series since the early 90's and the story has been global before but this outing feels timely as well. It isn't just talking about a fictional Vietnam conflict with super powered people.. this faces the hard tale of the Child Soldiers of the Congo and highlights some of the horrible conditions by which the despots in those areas would realistically leverage something as horrible as the Wild Card virus to build their own power.

Great cont
Jemimah Bela
Feb 08, 2014 Jemimah Bela rated it really liked it
curiosity had me pick up this book. I'm glad I did.

what I liked most about the book are the characters. they're quite distinct from one another with powers and skills that could rival any superhero comic book.

I enjoyed reading it. beloved characters still perished but the story called for it. the plot wasn't really new but witty banter and great pace made up for it.
Nan Silvernail
Sep 23, 2011 Nan Silvernail rated it really liked it
When Africa screams it is with the voices of her children. A girl calls to an ace in her dreams. A missing boy, by his silence draws another to search for him. Terrible things are happening deep in the new People's Paradise of Africa. Even while new life is being made possible for those in love halfway around the globe, young kids in the PPA are being twisted to fuel a consuming hunger for power. Can these atrocities be stopped when a near god-like ace is allowing and driving them to flourish?

S
Norman Cook
Nov 06, 2013 Norman Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much better than the last book, Busted Flush, possibly because I had a much shorter gap between the two books than with the previous two books. With so many characters running around, some of whom are shapeshifters or who can possess others' identities, it's hard to keep track of them all. I still wish there was a recap or dramatis personae at the beginning.

The other reason this is a better book is because it is the third of the current trilogy, and although there are the requisite loose
Travis Nacke
Feb 28, 2015 Travis Nacke rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Super Hero drama. The characters and their powers were very interesting. It took a few chapters before I could keep the heroes names and powers straight but once I did, I had alot of fun. I wanted to see what happened next so this book was hard to put down. I'll read the others in the Wild Card series.
Russ Cross
Sep 27, 2014 Russ Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of super heroes
Is there any way to give this book more than 5 stars? I loved it! I hadn't read any Wild Cards stories in years. I had a hard time putting this book down. If I could, I would've read it in one sitting, but I do have other things that need doin'.
Mark Webb
Apr 13, 2014 Mark Webb rated it liked it
A couple of comments on my website in my monthly "books I've read" summary.
Iain
Feb 23, 2013 Iain rated it it was amazing
As usual, a Wild Cards trilogy saves the best for last. This is a truly gripping story that makes you really care for all the protagonists and constantly leaves you guessing as to what will happen to them. My only gripe was what looked like a diversion into an out-of-place Oceans Eleven storyline for one character, but that was soon pulled back almost literally kicking and screaming into the main plot. Some real heart-wrenching moments amid the action as the tale builds to a climax, but satisfyi ...more
Russ
Feb 01, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great ending to a spectacular trilogy. It provides a sense of closure in many aspects but also leaves more than enough plot lines open to continue the series. I had never heard of the Wild Cards world before picking up "Inside Straight," and after reading the three books in this trilogy, I'm of a mind to hunt down all of the old books. This series introduced me to Daniel Abraham, who is reason enough to read it. I recommend this book (and series) highly to fans of science fiction ...more
Ramesh
Dec 10, 2015 Ramesh rated it it was amazing
Interesting take on powers and characters.
Peter
This final volume of the Committee Triad was a fun read, and once again the mosaic format worked remarkably well. The various writing styles of the authors meshed well and the editing is superb, yielding a cohesive and gripping story. There is also a good amount of character growth and some of the older characters became a lot more likable by the end of the book. This book almost made it to a 5-star rating for me, so thumbs up for the wild card and please create more of these fun pieces!
R
Apr 10, 2011 R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just dig this series, esp. in the new "mosaic novel" series, with multiple authors taking specific characters through their story arcs in an intertwined story. This one takes the tale of the ultra-powerful Radical and reveals more history and the world's reaction to the dangerous ace. The ultra-complex tales of several continue on, with weird imaginings of how superpowers would really work and create benefits and more problems for everyone with them.
Craig
Jul 03, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final volume of the newest Wild Cards trilogy. It satisfactorily ties up the main problems and situations from the previous two volumes, and introduces a few characters from the earlier books. I was quite surprised at the loss of a few of the characters, but the richness of the Wild Cards landscape leaves plenty of room for future exploartion. I did think that readers who were not familiar with some of the early books would find the ending confusing.
Eric
Mar 02, 2010 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read inside straight a while ago (the first in the latest Wild Cards trilogy) and grabbed this from the library for escape reading. Unfortunately, I was a little disoriented as I missed a book between that one and this one, although Kings is written with enough recap that I think I eventually caught up. Most of the action took place in Africa, and the plot was a little heavy handed, although the Radical was an interesting character.
Brian Callahan
I liked many of the characters and how their abilities were portrayed. I think some of the language and sexual escapades could be toned down. The crude language seemed often overdone to the point that it became distracting. A gritty story is okay but it does not need to be vulgar. Rustbelt is definitely my favorite character. Perhaps the other characters are written darkly to make Wally seem even more innocent.
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • The Button Man and the Murder Tree (Wild Cards)
  • Devil's Cape
  • Land of the Dead
  • Turning Points (Thieves' World, 2nd Series, #2)
  • The Paradox Men
  • Uneasy Alliances (Thieves' World, #11)
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
  • Superheroes
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • After the Golden Age (Golden Age, #1)
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • The Hammer
  • Superpowers
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Thousandth Night and Minla's Flowers
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Wild Cards (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
  • Aces High (Wild Cards, #2)
  • Jokers Wild (Wild Cards, #3)
  • Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Wild Cards, #5)
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #6)
  • Dead Man's Hand (Wild Cards, #7)
  • Wild Cards: Graphic Novel
  • One-Eyed Jacks (Wild Cards, #8)
  • Jokertown Shuffle (Wild Cards, #9)