Start by marking “Treat Me, Not My Age” as Want to Read:
Treat Me, Not My Age

Treat Me, Not My Age

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A must-have manual for boomers and their parents to take control of their health in a broken health-care system.

Too often our culture defines the aging process negatively instead of embracing it as a natural part of life. Nowhere is this problem more pronounced than in our health-care system, where "ageist" medicine often serves to worsen our medical issues instead of he

Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Treat Me, Not My Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treat Me, Not My Age

Joan
I had trouble sticking with this book, even though I found it excellent. I really can't blame the book that so many other books came along at the same time that I was anxious to read. This IS an excellent book. I am considering buying this book as a reference for planning for my eventual wonderful retirement. For starters I am definitely ripping out the carpet and putting down the same material throughout the house. He points out what a risk falling can be and that uneven surfaces really add to ...more
Leon Keylin
Ok, so there was an article by this doctor that made me want to buy his book. It's a GOOD book but not great. He has a wealth of advice not just for those over 60 but for those who have anyone they care about in that age range. [...]

The Good: The first four chapters are fantastic. He outlines where we are as a species and how far we have gone as far as longevity. He also mentions how little we know about not just aging but caring for the aged.

My favorite parts were WHAT TO DO about it--which m
David
Dec 08, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Regents Point resident participating in the MRT session recommended this book. Published in 2010, Lachs has a breezy tone, easy to read, sometimes a bit much - as when he writes "an opinion from the trenches," it's the "heavy hitters," or "here's the aging view from 30,000 feet." Or referring often to Dr. House, which I believe is a TV program, one I've never watched. Or providing an entire page plus to a Seinfeld TV skit called 'The Other Side of Darkness' showing that it is to the 1990s TV w ...more
Matthew Gatheringwater
Most people wouldn't consider chest pain and breathlessness during exertion a blessing, but it can be. Doctor and gerontologist Mark Lachs points out that these symptoms—common signs of a heart condition called angina—are not present in about a quarter of patients with narrowing of the coronary arteries. Without pain to warn them of a problem, the first inkling these patients have of a heart condition is a massive, possibly fatal, heart attack. With the blessed early warning of pain, angina can ...more
Joan Winnek
Jan 06, 2011 Joan Winnek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 40 and older.
Recommended to Joan by: Cal Tucker
I wish I'd had this book earlier (but it wasn't written yet). Everyone 40 and older should own a copy, read it and save it for reference, for issues concerning parents and yourself. Written with remarkable clarity, and gets to the nitty-gritty. Stuff we have to know and resist knowing.
Jan
Nov 27, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is so good, I could lead classes on it and buy lots of copies as gifts. Every person in America should read it, if they are over $50. It needs to be a reference book in every home..
Signora
Jan 14, 2012 Signora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a Geriatrician, this factual book helps the reader understand how to navigate the medical world as one ages. A great resource for seniors and caregivers of the elderly.
MaryTank
Jan 17, 2013 MaryTank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geriatrics 101, an excellent introduction into this last phase of human life. I recommend for anyone with family entering these years and those of us 50+
Firecooked
Jul 04, 2011 Firecooked rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gives a good understanding of how the medical machine works, and what to do when you have to use it (or help a parent).
Karen B
Jan 20, 2014 Karen B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am buying this book. Great resource for anyone with elderly parents, spouses etc.
Charity
Jan 26, 2014 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good treatise on how to prepare and respond to an aging parent's medical needs
Rosalind
Jan 06, 2011 Rosalind rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chatty, chatty, chatty. Not enough substance.
Odoublegood
realistic and helpful advice
Allison
May 11, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amen!
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Kconrad2k
Kconrad2k rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Feb 16, 2016
Crystal Lipke
Crystal Lipke is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Abel J. Merrill
Abel J. Merrill rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
June
June marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
M. Lucero
M. Lucero marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Wahaj Siddiqi
Wahaj Siddiqi marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Millary
Millary marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Joe Robinson
Joe Robinson rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Marjorie Johnson
Marjorie Johnson rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015