Start by marking “The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery

The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery

A shape-shifting witch... a dethroned king... a storytelling dwarf... and a young man with too much imagination for his own good!

Steven Risd is your everyday college kid—he likes having fun and hanging out with friends. But Steven is different in his own way, too. He absolutely loves stories of fantasy, magic, and adventure—but even crazier, he soon finds himself in the mi
Published October 18th 2010 by Prestige Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Longed Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Longed Tales

Kat Kennedy
I want to give this book more stars. I really do.

Mohamed AR will be an author I keep my eye on. With a little bit more experience writing prose, building characters and setting out a story, I think he'll do very well as a writer.

This book is the story of Steven, a young college initiate who travels into the forest to escape his mundane life. He meets a witch who sends him to another world where he meets a story-telling dwarf, Grimdin, and immediately decides he needs to get home again.

The langua
Chrissie
Dec 18, 2014 Chrissie rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I've read the reviews on this books and they were VERY kind. Kindness won't make the author learn from his mistakes. The biggest problem with this book, the one that makes it impossible to finish is his language and dialogue. It's riddled with the passive voice. Example, page 43, "His eyes rolled behind shut eyelids as Steven plowed the air with his ears for any blunt thud." Yuck, right? I can't even follow it. He rolled his eyes while listening for (blunt thuds?).

Then there is the archaic lang
Lisa
Dec 14, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads and was very, very excited to read it. The cover is gorgeous and the description of the book sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I was disappointed :(

I had a horrible time getting into the story and eventually found myself doing more skimming than reading. I left it just sit for weeks at a time. Finally, around page 100, I decided to call it quits. I feel really bad about it. I really wanted to like this book. It just wasn't for me. I think that the main issue t
Jaidis Shaw
Nov 03, 2010 Jaidis Shaw rated it really liked it
The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery by Mohamed AR was a pleasant and entertaining read for me. We start off meeting Steven, who is just the normal teenager who is looking for more in life then the mundane activities of day-to-day life. He is creative and imaginative, but lets his anger get the best of him most of the time. He decides to go see 'The Lady of the Woods', a magical witch who helps locals with their problems, to see if she can give him something to help him s ...more
Sarah Beth
Feb 20, 2011 Sarah Beth rated it did not like it
I won this through GoodReads and was really excited to read it but was terribly disappointed. I could barely got through this and ended up just skimming it just so I could get it over with. The dialogue was stilted and the plot was less than compelling. It read more like a bad Young Adult novel than fiction about a college age guy. The final straw was the metaphor "like a chicken had farted in his mouth." Really? That's the best you've got? Good effort from the author in writing a book, but stor ...more
Angela
Jan 06, 2011 Angela rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
After reading the description for the novel, I was thrilled to find out that I won a copy of this as a Goodreads first reads! Unfortunately my excitement was short-lived. I continually tried to read the book with very little success. Eventually, I just gave up. The prose was choppy, and though I was able to follow it, I never found myself wanting to keep reading. Reading should not be a punishment, and sadly I left like this was.
My hope this that with time and practice the author will produce an
Chris
Mar 19, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
There are novels that start with a bang, novels that are slow burning but get a conflagration going by the end, and those that never catch alight at all. One-third of the way through this fantasy there's disappointingly not much of a glow. There's very little action, and what action there is gets held up by too many words. The hero gets to do a lot of chuckling and exclaims "Wow!" from time to time and his dwarf companion "huffs" his way through conversations (both individuals do a lot of huffin ...more
Lily (WhoLockian)
Dec 16, 2010 Lily (WhoLockian) rated it liked it

The Longed Tales by Mohamed AR

Reviwed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Steven Risd is your everyday college kid-likes to have fun... doesn't enjoy school that much... likes hanging with friends... doesn't trust authority figures, including his parents. But Steven is different in his own way, too...

Young Steven absolutely loves stories of fantasy, magic, and adventur
Bungle Midnight Reads
Dec 13, 2010 Bungle Midnight Reads rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

I think I struggled with the flow of writing and sometimes became fustrated as I read the same line twice. That said I think the story is good for younger readers and the discription of things is second to none and I often felt like I was part of the world that had been created by the author.

Gąbiss UzumaĶii
Gąbiss UzumaĶii rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Abrar Farhan
Abrar Farhan rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Mary Aris
Mary Aris rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2011
Erika
To review.
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Yuki
Yuki rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2010
Pigletto
Pigletto rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
William
William rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2010
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2012
Hamda Majid
Hamda Majid rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Yvensong
Received for free through BookRooster
Emily Martin
Emily Martin marked it as to-read
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jessica Harwood
Jessica Harwood marked it as to-read
Azqa
Azqa marked it as to-read
K U
K U marked it as to-read
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Sam
Sam added it
Christine Yvonne
Christine Yvonne marked it as to-read
Adina
Adina marked it as to-read
Edgar Davis
Edgar Davis marked it as to-read
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Mysterium
Mysterium marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
E.J. Stevens
E.J. Stevens marked it as to-read
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Steven Weatherby
Steven Weatherby marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Gogo713
Gogo713 marked it as to-read
Sarah Francis
Sarah Francis marked it as to-read
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Charlotte Wiebe
Charlotte Wiebe marked it as to-read
Cannwin
Cannwin marked it as to-read
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Buttercup1201
Buttercup1201 marked it as to-read
shinfu
shinfu marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2010
  • Crone of War (Morrigan's Brood, #2)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember
  • Dragon's Oath (The Blacklands, #1)
  • The Jongurian Mission (The Jongurian Trilogy, #1)
  • The Kingdom: A Berkeley Blackfriars Novel
  • Escape and Betrayal (Athlandia, #2)
  • Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits & Other Curious Things
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • Fantasy: An Artist's Realm
  • The Blight (Eden's Root Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Blood Moon
  • House of the Star
  • Blood for Wolves (A Figments Fable)
  • Songbird
  • Until Death Do Us Part (Kismet Knight, #1.5)
  • Blood Oath (Blood Lines, #1)
Born in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Mohamed Abdulrahim earned his degree in information technology in 2003, and soon later he left his job at the bank and worked with his family outside the technology field. He started writing in 2004.
More about Mohamed Abdulrahim...