Start by marking “The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!” as Want to Read:
The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!

The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Get customers, clients, and co-workers to say "yes!" in 8 minutes or lessThis revised second edition by a leading expert of influence continues to teach a proven system of persuasion. Synthesizing the latest research in the field of influence with real-world tested experiences, it presents simple secrets that help readers turn a "no" into a "yes." Every secret in this book ...more
Published September 17th 2010 by Wiley (first published October 13th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Influence

Billie Pritchett
Kevin Hogan's Science of Influence is about how to influence people, in work or daily life. When I first saw this title, I was afraid of it, thinking, like some other people out there, I'm sure, that the word 'influence' as a noun or verb is often synonymous 'manipulation' or 'manipulate,' respectively. But that implies that the intention is sinister. The truth is that even though someone who is unscrupulous could used these tools for ill, that is not the intention.

Hogan basically wants to show
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less! By Kevin Hogan.

I came to know of Kevin Hogan through Jeffrey Gitomer’s Vegas Seminar. He was one of the Speakers featured at the Seminar and so I eagerly waited for his turn to come up on to the stage and speak. Seems he was the best in the country – so why not!
He walked up on to the stage and then it began.
First my eagerness turned into surprise, from surprise to disgust and then it was j
TheGirlWithTheHeartShapedGlasses
It's a useful book for people running business than other self-help books.There are so many tricks which is based on researches.Like changing your voice,breathing and movements according to another person,showing future and possible regrets people for persuading them on an idea,changing personal environment and including family factors etc. to affect people,scaring people and then giving them solutions to persuade them for an opinion,changing form of sentences to increase purchases,talking about ...more
JP
I was unexpectedly impressed by this book.. Based on the title, I anticipated a lot of NLP-style techniques. (I even selected it on that basis, thinking it would provide me some examples at the other end of the spectrum to reference in an upcoming presentation. Instead, I found a very readable presentation, grounded in real psychology, but written for practical, everyday use. Hogan's sensational title follows his own principles about framing and getting small commitments right away. Many of the ...more
John Wignall
Manipulative techniques that make me sad for humanity.

Are sales people really that dead inside?
Lori
A straightforward title for this book would be: "How to Manipulate in 8 Minutes or Less!"
❤ Lady black cat ❤
the book is mainly written for business people,sales.But it has general informations for general audience too.there are several clever techniques that could improve your sales if they are correctly applied.I think,you should note down these,while reading.Also,the book has some facts about human mind and how people make choices,decisions.these are quite interesting.I like these parts more than other parts.I would love to read other books of the author for mind-matters,body anguage e.t.c.You shoul ...more
Tadas Talaikis
Advertising of this book worked for me, but nothing really paradigm shifting. Being rule breaker a lot, I simply can't follow conformism way of old-school. "Pitch anything" by Oren Klaff for that has much simpler and thus better algo: either you win with your alpha-status or lose in every social interaction. No need for complicated many times heard checklists like in this book.
Elwirka
Kevin Hogan way of writting is very unpleasant for me. Chaotic and not ordered, his books seems to be written from head, without an effort to make it pleasant to read and well accessible for reader. However his knowledge is valueable and his observations are suprisingly accurate. Lot of inspirations for non-profit campaigns and interesting facts about marketing oriented on women.
Ram Ramalingam
I never understood the allure in the Dale Carnagie, Cialdini schools of books until I read this one. This is a modern rendition of those old classics, and hence thankfully a little more scientific. About half the book brings out good ideas on cognitive science and behavioural economics that cause certain ideas, presented in a certain way to be more effective and better received by the world at large. Some of the book (the earlier parts - delta method etc) was the classic snake-oil stuff that Dal ...more
Memmedaga Memmedov
Yazarın daha önce okumuş olduğum 'Konuşarak İkna Psikolojisi' kitabında da okuyucu satış elemanıymış gibi anlatıldığı yerler vardı ama bu kitabında bu durum daha ağır basmış.
Halbuki her konuda karşıdaki kişiyi ikna edip onay alma durumu olabilir. Örneğin, bir bayana evlenme teklif edeceğim, 'evet' cevabı almak için kitabı okuyorum diyelim, pek bir katkısı olmayacaktır. Sektör olarak Pazarlama/Satış bölümünde olmadığım için yarıda bırakmak durumunda kaldım.
Haytham Badawey
This books is one of the best books I've read so far. The author analyzes influence tools and techniques from both scientific (psychological) perspective and practical perspective.

The book discusses how people usually make decisions based on trivial criteria and not on rational reasoning, which is a good opportunity for manipulating them into following the choices you provide them, it's straight forward, but needs to be read multiple times.

The chapters are concise and to the point, this book is
Deb
I'm still reading this book, and learning more about myself in it. It is persuasive, in that it offers a unique, psychological look at why we do the things we do. He addresses the roles of the conscious and non-conscious in decision making. It's quite a perspective! I've ordered it to have on my shelf. I think I'll open it once in a while in future to remind me of what I've learned.
Nakul Shenoy
Kevin Hogan has shared on persuasion and effective communication through his various books. In this one, he shares specific actionable information to influence anybody - especially a sales target - in minutes. There is much useful insight here even if you have read some of his other books. If you deal with people, the Science of Influence is a must read.
Priscilla VdL
The author reminds us of some neat tricks to get yourself out there...networking and such... I liked the examples that he wrote about, gets you in a different perspective.
There are some repetitions that you know can be to repetitive.
Agit  Ö.
Kitabın adı gerçekten iddaalı ve zekice . Ama kitabı okuyunca adının mübalağa edilmniş olduğunu anlıyorsunuz! Kitabı okuyunca ''İstediğin kişiye 8 dakika evet dedirtirim' diyebilmek keşke kolay olsa..
Ozkan
While he was telling about the science of influence, I felt a bit stressed about the idea, he might be trying to make me think what he wants me to think the way he thinks! except, must read!
RogerV at Movoxo.com
Excellent book for marketers about specific languaging techniques.
Samer Chidiac
Mind challenging book... But I loved it!
Mahdi
the best science in the world
Katrece
Sep 06, 2011 Katrece marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Saw this on a "shelf" we'll see
Hareemali11
Hareemali11 marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Radu Petrescu
Radu Petrescu marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Mariam Elsadek
Mariam Elsadek marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • How to Change Anybody: Proven Techniques to Reshape Anyone's Attitude, Behavior, Feelings, or Beliefs
  • How to Study
  • Friendship Crisis
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures (Hardcover)
  • The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive
  • The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young
  • Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion
  • Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal
  • Persuasion Engineering
  • Words That Change Minds: Mastering the Language of Influence
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • How to Win Any Argument: Without Raising Your Voice, Losing Your Cool, or Coming to Blows
  • The Power of Persuasion: How We're Bought and Sold
  • What now?
  • Dealing with Difficult People: 24 Lessons for Bringing Out the Best in Everyone
Kevin Hogan is the author of 22 books. He is best known for his international best selling book, The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking.

In the past decade he has become the Body Language Expert and Unconscious Influence Expert to ABC, Fox, The BBC, The New York Times, The New York Post and dozens of popular magazines like Forbes,Investors Business Daily,InTouc
More about Kevin Hogan...
Covert Persuasion: Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking Irrestible Attraction The Secret Language of Business: How to Read Anyone in 3 Seconds or Less Talk Your Way to the Top: Communication Secrets to Change Your Life