Start by marking “Who Was Rosa Parks?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Rosa Parks?

Who Was Rosa Parks? (Who Was/Is...?)

In 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give her bus seat to a white passenger in Montgomery, Alabama. This seemingly small act triggered civil rights protests across America and earned Rosa Parks the title ÒMother of the Civil Rights Movement.Ó This biography has blackand- white illustrations throughout.
Published December 23rd 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published December 1st 2010)

Matt
Oct 26, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing
The story is about Rosa Parks who was a big spark in the multi-race revolution. She was a courages person who took her freedom and brought it out! Her disobeying these unfair laws was just outstanding! I say that I recommend this to people who love freedom.
Vianni Richards
Dec 09, 2015 Vianni Richards rated it it was amazing
Who was Rosa Parks? was an incredible biography on the life of the lady who started a revolution by just sitting on bus! I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read quick, interesting books. If this one isn't for you, try another Who Was?/Is book.
Madissen
Apr 14, 2016 Madissen rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it taught me how it was when Rosa Parks was alive about the buses and more.
Wade
May 08, 2011 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Rosa Parks grew up in a time when black and white children (and adults) were not treated the same. Lily and Wade are inspired by her lifelong courage to work for more fairness in the world. This book taught us about a lot of new big words like segregation, equality, racism, prejudice, civil rights, boycott, protest, fairness, unconstitutional, and nonviolence.

Rosa understood how important it was for everyone to vote, but before 1965 there were laws that made it very difficult for most black peo
Kayla Fjellbo
Nov 10, 2014 Kayla Fjellbo rated it it was amazing
Everyone knows who RosaParks is because most people learn about her in elementary school, well how do the kids of today's generation learn? The same way as everyone else, through books! Who Was Rosa Parks by Yona Zeldis McDonough is kid-friendly book that teaches kids who exactly Rosa Parks was. The book starts with Rosa's childhood and goes from there, emphasizing her legendary bus incident that sparked a revolution. This book will teach kids to always stand up for what you believe in even if ...more
Erin
Feb 27, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of biographical writing; ages 8-10
Recommended to Erin by: brother
Shelves: slept-through
So.

The book itself was good. I liked the way it was written: very simple with all the facts there. The cover creeps me out. Rosa Parks was fabulous. The writing was kinda VERY simple, but I read it anyways. Overall, it was okay. Good if you want to know more information about her. Terrifying for a plot read.

Note: used to own
Stephanie Campos
May 17, 2016 Stephanie Campos rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl named Rosa Parks who grew up to be a person who has rights.She lived near tons of people who didn't respect her rights.She would not like when only white can sit in the front and black have to sit in the back of the bus.This book is for people who want to know how all of it started.
Ryan Diaz
Nov 17, 2015 Ryan Diaz rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was informational text because, well, it's a biography. I also thought this book was a nice holiday biography book about Rosa Parks. It actually made me learn some things that I didn't know about like famous people and events that happened.
Gerardo Sicairos
Nov 03, 2015 Gerardo Sicairos rated it really liked it
The book who was"Rose Parks" is a good book to learn about African American history and to learn about Rosa Parks and what she did to stand up for her people.I recommend this book to people that want to learn about Rose Parks and what she did.
Colten W.
Nov 18, 2016 Colten W. rated it liked it
Rosa Parks was a very important person. The theme of this book is about Rosa Parks life. Rosa Parks was a civil rights activist who was born in Tuskegee, Alabama. In her time segregation was a big issue for African Americans. For example, whites and blacks were forced to work in separate factories for jobs. A lot of people have already been protesting and fighting against segregation like Malcom X and Martin Luther King. For her whole life she wanted to fight against segregation and wanted to ...more
Kaleb Munro
Oct 21, 2016 Kaleb Munro rated it it was amazing
Who Was Rosa Parks by Yona Zeldis Mcdonugh. Rosa Parks is a woman who would not give up her seat on a bus for a white male that was calling her names and that she had to move because of Jim Crow laws. But since she held her seat it would revolutionize the world as we know it.

Rosa Parks was a huge part of the civil rights movement she was one of the main leaders in the naccp and because of her and many other black activists people of color can live in harmony and peace with whites.

I recommend
 RLL22016 Annamaria Delatorre
Nov 06, 2016 RLL22016 Annamaria Delatorre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: info-bios
Who was Rosa Park is a fabulous read. The book discuss her life and the day everything occurred on the bus. Rosa refused to give her seat away to a white woman and caused the Civil Right protests across America and later in life Rosa was titled Mother of the Civil Rights Movement. A good time to read this would be during Black History Month. Age group I would say younger grammar school so from first to about fifth grade.
Sarah Sharp
Dec 08, 2016 Sarah Sharp rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-challenge
This is a wonderful biography of Rosa Parks for the elementary school level. It tells of the life of Rosa Parks and how she sparked the Civil Rights Movement. It would be great for students to read for research papers or just for fun. It is a quick, easy read, but it also provides a lot of detailed information about her life! This is a great read if you love to read about black history like me!
Tricia
Dec 07, 2016 Tricia rated it really liked it
5 facts -
1. Rosa Parks was married when she was 20
2. Rosa's grandmother died when she was 16.
3. She had to take 3 reading and PAY A TAX to vote!
4. She cleaned houses and sold apples to make money
5. She went to Miss White's school for girls.
Vee
Traducción por Eduardo Noriega.

Fun Fact: Rosa Parks' lawyer for her infamous trial was named Fred Gray. I know, that's not a big deal but I thought that was interesting.

Interesting tidbit: This book includes Claudette Colvin.
Kristina Cardoza
Mar 01, 2013 Kristina Cardoza rated it really liked it
SUMMARY:
Who Was Rosa Parks? by Yona Zeldis McDonough is a great African-American biography for all ages! Although Rosa Parks was not born in slavery days, she still made a large impact on society. She grew up in Pine Level, Alabama and moved to Montgomery, Alabama when she was eleven. After marrying Raymond Parks at eighteen, she started working at the NAACP. Rosa's most well-known incident is when she got arrested just for keeping her seat on the bus, but that isn't all she did--read the book
Alyssa
May 06, 2014 Alyssa added it
Shelves: biographies
This biography chronicles Rosa’s life and legacy, and dispels many myths about her actions, portraying her as a strong but quiet leader. Rosa worked with blacks and whites alike for equality for Blacks and women. Many important people influenced her actions in this fight, from her husband, Raymond Parks, and Martin Luther King Jr., to Eleanor Roosevelt and Virginia Durr. These and other significant figures in Rosa’s life, as well as events of the Civil Rights Movement are described in detailed ...more
Tots R
Apr 25, 2015 Tots R rated it really liked it
Rosa Parks for Children: Discover the Incredible Story of the Courageous Woman Who Changed American History Forever: Biographies for Children (African American Books) by Ian D. Fraser, African American History/ History Books for Kids (biographies)
I feel it is important that we teach our children as much as possible about history. Rosa Parks was a brave woman for doing what she did years ago because if she wouldn’t have stood up for rights the world would be the way it is today. This book will gi
Erin
Sep 12, 2016 Erin added it
Read to B
Megan
Dec 14, 2013 Megan added it
Shelves: eng-261
This book is in a series of a lot of books that are biographies of different and very important people throughout time. This particular book is perfect for children in upper elementary school who are learning about important figures from history for the first time. The biography of Rosa Parks is very well tailored and is easy enough for children to really start to get a grasp of what she did for the Civil Rights Movement. I mean, in the end, she was one of the main people that sparked that ...more
Lisa
Jun 03, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
This is a short biography that is cram-packed with facts. There are even special insert pages with details about prominent figures, organizations, and legislation to provide background information to support the life story of this famous civil rights leader.

I've been looking for something to fill the slot of the "Childhood of Famous Americans" series that no longer really appeals to students, nor do I think it is the best choice for this genre regarding information and facts. I am not a total fa
Oksana Martemyanova
Wow!!!

This book was actually one of the most interesting "Who Was" books. It persuaded and convinced me to read further throughout the story. Reading about Rosa Parks is a wonderful opportunity and I would prefer and suggest to people who love biographies to go ahead not be afraid and read this intelligent story about what Rosa had to go through throughout her life and childhood. Also this passage and articles is upsetting and sad about all the things and prejudice comments she had to face. Now
AnnieM
Sep 05, 2016 AnnieM rated it really liked it
We all know Rosa wouldn't give up her seat, but this is a great overview of the whole thing. Everything including a touch on Claudette Coven and while she caused a similar situation was deemed not as good as Rosa because she was 15 and pregnant.

A guilty ruling and a $14 fine is what sent it to a higher court.
Alize Flores
Jan 13, 2016 Alize Flores rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books!!!!! This book was very interesting because it has some really good details on events that happened in her life. I recommend this book to people who want to understand more about her life, or people who just like biographies in general.I also recommend this book to people who want to understand more about how they used to treat whites different than blacks. I liked that the author included not only things about Rosa Parks, but things about other important people ...more
Jazmin Lomeli
This is a book out of many that focus on certain people important in history, this one being on Rosa Parks. Which talks about her childhood and then goes into the bus ride which should never be forgotten because it changed history forever. It also has information about her life after the bus ride.

The illustrations are in black and white drawings which allows the reader to focus on the story and not so much on the pictures. It has short paragraphs on most pages and a lot of information so the mes
Beyonce King
May 27, 2015 Beyonce King rated it it was amazing
Rosa Parks was a person who liked fishing, cleaned white peoples houses to make money, and the person who stood up to a white man on a public bus. When she stands up the the white man on the bus it sparks the Civil Rights Movement. Rosa Parks also inspired other men and women to stand up for there rights from the white Americans.

I like this book because it has pictures to guide the readers and gives details about the persons life. Do you think that Rosa parks did the rights thing? Or not?
Travis Morgan
Oct 05, 2014 Travis Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eec-405, module-2
This book is a very informative book about the journey and life of Rosa Parks. The books explains and shows through illustrations where Rosa Parks was from and how her refusal to give up a seat to a white male triggered the civil rights protest across the U.S. Along with the powerful story, the illustrations are wonderful in helping students comprehend the historical story.

I would most definitely use this book when teaching about the civil rights movement and even black history month. I enjoyed
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
We all know that Rosa Parks was arrested for not giving up her seat on a bus. But did you know that when she was eleven she moved to Montgomery, Alabama to go to a better school or that her husband was 10 years older then she was? Who was Rosa Parks? is filled with interseting facts about Rosa Parks and her life. What will you learn about Rosa Parks?

I would recommend this book to third graders and up who are studying the civil rights movement.

McDonough, Y. Z. (2010). Who was Rosa Parks?. New Yo
Katie Nanney
This book introduces the reader to Rosa Parks and who she was before and after the bus incident that made her so popular. I liked that the book included pictures and interesting facts about Rosa Parks that I had never heard about before. The hand drawn pictures added a nice quality to the story and the facts were interesting. I would recommend this book for any student 2nd grade and up, especially those who are interested in historical figures and why they did the things they did.
Alex
May 11, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Who Was Rosa Parks? was a very interesting book. I learned a lot about her. There's a lot more to the story than just her not giving her seat away on a bus. I would recommend this book to any one who likes/wants to learn more about the story of Rosa Parks. I liked how they told about her husband being involved for some part of his life in the NAACP until he dropped out. It's sad to think about how life was like back then. Overall a good book.
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • Who Was Paul Revere?
  • Who Was Steve Jobs?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn and many of my novels take place here. But my new novel takes place in New Hampshire, and I have woven into it a historical component: the tragic story of Ruth Blay, who in 1768 was the last woman hanged in the state. When I read about Ruth, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure, and I knew I had to write about her.
I was educated at Vassar College and Col
More about Yona Zeldis McDonough...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?