Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married? and Other Useful Comments

Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married? and Other Useful Comments

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Yes, I'm single . . . feel free to comment.

Single women can sometimes be magnets for awkward questions . . . especially within the church community. With an emphasis on strong marriages and biblical childrearing, unmarried women in the church can begin to think that they are somehow on the sidelines. But this is not the case.

In this helpful volume, Nancy Wilson provide...more
Published November 26th 2010 by Canon Press

Be the first to ask a question about Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married? and Other Useful Comments

Valerie Kyriosity
Nancy Wilson must be batty. How else could she so consistently hit the ball out of the park? ;^)

While there wasn't much in this book I hadn't already learned, most of it's stuff I'd learned through various magnificent blunders along the way. It's one of those books that makes me wish for time travel, so I could spare my younger self some stupidity-induced suffering. And some of it, while I've learned it in my head, bears repeating as I still learn to live it out.

In light of stuff I've recently w...more
Christopher
Let's just say I'm that secure. Oh yes I am, so, so very secure. On an unrelated note, it was superb.
Bethel
Nov 18, 2012 Bethel added it
I'm not entirely sure why I picked this up, but since my bro-in-law left it and I'm always looking for books about women in society... I did pick it up.

Just a note: the title can be misleading. To me, "Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?: And Other Useful Comments" sounds like a feminist diatribe against marital expectations forced on us by a patriarchal society. If this is what you were expecting, I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed. The content of the book attempts to address the issues C...more
Miwaza Jemimah
Some girls might hesitate to pick up this book because of the title... I did ;) But I think this is a very very good and helpful book for a lot of young girls.

"Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?" So many people asked me similar questions in the past. Some said, "You cook so well! You're so ready to get married and start a family!" or "You own a business! Marriage must be the next thing on your list.", "You're a very good Christian. You can get married anytime!"… the lists goes on and on....more
Megan
Thank you Nancy Wilson for reminding me how much I don't fit in as a "woman" or as a "Christian." While the book started out seeming to understand my plight as a lifelong single person, once it got to practical help, much of what she spent time on was insignificant (unless you're really concerned with outward appearance and decorating your house). I was especially looking forward to the chapter called "Are You desirable?", thinking it would speak to the common problem single women have about fal...more
Miss Pickwickian
Down to earth, blunt wisdom for unmarried women.

You are not an a useless awkward stage, you are a woman of God with a calling!

I didn't think it was as polished as "Building Her House" and sometimes almost brash, but still a wonderful, wonderful book! Loved it. Read it in a busy 24 hours.

I think the title might discouraged some girls that could really value from the book. Most teens don't want to pick up a book that says "Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like you Married?" After all, they weren't expecti...more
Emily Tsesmeloglou
I enjoyed reading this book, and I think I would have benefited from reading it as a single person. I didn't find all of it completely relatable, but I appreciated the point that it's not necessarily a symptom of discontent to really want to be married.
Rachael
"Why isn't a pretty girl like you married?" is one of many equally painful, nosey, and unhelpful questions single ladies are forced to face on a regular basis. These questions can cut to the heart of unmarried women. How should the Christian daughter handle these questions? How should she handle "singlehood" in general? In this book, Nancy Wilson aims to provide an answer using practical advice taken from basic biblical principles.
This is one book that I found incredibly encouraging. It is full...more
Amanda
Why isn’t a Pretty Girl like you Married? is a humorous, yet theologically-sound, look at some of the awkward questions and uncomfortable situations single (or unmarried, as the author prefers) women face.

Read the rest of the review at http://thenerdybookworm.wordpress.com...
Gabrielle
Awesome book! I have no negative comments about this book. It is true and biblical. Great advice about how to use your single hood for the glory of God.
Kristy
Rating: 10/10

This book is my case in point to the decisions I am making as a Christian single woman. Some great practical advice. Nancy gets straight to the point and doesn't muck around. Some might find it a bit full on but because I agree with her, I liked it.

The Questions:

Entertaining?: Surprisingly yes

Addictive?: Surprisingly yes, again

Impacting?: Yes

Thought provoking?: Yes

Clean?: Yes

Read it again?: Yes

Would I Recommend it: Yes!
Sarah Fowler
Encouraging. There were a few eyebrow-raisers (Cultivating too-close friendships with women can lead to lesbianism? Christian parents would never tell a daughter it's time to move out on her own?), and it was prone to generalizations (Women are always motivated by relationships/emotions), but mostly solid. I did hope for a few snide answers to the title question, but of course she said to laugh it off and be gracious. ;-)
Steven Wedgeworth
This was helpful for me- a married man- to read. There are a few points where Nancy appears to be tougher and stricter than Doug, and I couldn't necessarily pin her opinions directly to exegesis, but nevertheless there's plenty of great advice here. It's a timely subject as well, since more and more aging singles are regular features of what would otherwise be thought of as "family-centered" churches.
Kayla Mahnken

If you're a single Christian woman worried and frustrated by your present marital status you need to read this book. I've read my share of these "singleness is a gift" books (and it is!) but Nancy Wilson approaches it from a fresh perspective, is witty and to the point. You'll be laughing your way through the chapters, refreshed and encouraged in your walk as a single woman of God. Read it!
Annie
thanks to my sister for giving me a book i'd've never picked up but needed to read. It was very satisfying to hear someone in the church say the family includes sisters, daughters, n widows. The body of christ does not only have wives n mothers. It did have good reminders about attitude, thought life, forgiveness, and behavior. Yeah, life long journey always striving to be honoring n obedient.
Melinda
This book has some great points and some encouraging insights, mostly in the latter portion of the book. The first 3 chapters have quite a few things I disagree with. If you want a book to encourage you in your single, unmarried years, try...the Bible. It's the best one I've read so far! :D
Heather Denigan
Good practical advice for an unattached young woman living in a family-centered church culture. I especially appreciate Nancy's gentleness and humor. She and her husband, Doug, always seem to get to the steady road between pendulum swings. The last three chapters are the best.
Lindsey Doolan
Awesome, possibly-mistitled book. Lots about how to be productive while you're not married: contentment, service in the church, modesty, and other issues. How to become "the kind of woman that the kind of man you want to marry would want to marry." Great stuff.
Gwen Burrow
Lovely wisdom from a lovely lady. Even if you think, "But I'm fine not being married right now--I've really got the contentment thing down"--I don't care. Read this book. You'll discover things you never knew you never knew.
Erin Hendrian
Kind of an embarrassing title to be caught reading in public, but full of lots of good advice and encouragement for women (especially in contentment, cheerfulness, productiveness, etc.), unmarried or otherwise.
Jo
May 13, 2012 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: re-read
This book dealt with the central issues of single christian women in a direct, biblical manner going to the heart of matters. An Excellent resource for discipling young ladies.
Petra B
This book was so helpful. Mrs. Nancy tells you how to love the brothers, if you are going to move out can you still be under the headship of your father, and many other things....
Lanny
Bravo! Superb! I'm completely loving it! I would gladly recommend this book to any and all girls/women. It is jam packed with tons of useful stuff for everybody.
This book is full of wisdom, authority and humor. Mrs. Wilson is like a grandmother speaking sage and kindly advice. Very helpful and straightforward.
Julie
Advice about living for God even when it doesn't look exactly like everyone else (thinks it should look).
Melissa
Encouraging, and much less cliche than I expected.
Alysson
Alysson marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Courtney J.
Courtney J. marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Nancy Wilson (nee Greensides) is the wife of Pastor Douglas Wilson, mother of three grown children including N.D. Wilson and Rachel Jankovic, and grandmother of 16. She lives in northern Idaho....more
More about Nancy Wilson...
The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman Praise Her in the Gates Building Her House: Commonsensical Wisdom for Christian Women True Companion: Thoughts on Being a Pastor's Wife Our Mother Tongue: An Introductory Guide to English Grammar