Start by marking “Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?: And Other Useful Comments” as Want to Read:
Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?: And Other Useful Comments

Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?: And Other Useful Comments

Yes, I'm single . . . feel free to comment.

Single women can sometimes be magnets for awkward questions . . . especially within the church community. With an emphasis on strong marriages and biblical childrearing, unmarried women in the church can begin to think that they are somehow on the sidelines. But this is not the case.

In this helpful volume, Nancy Wilson provide
Published December 1st 2010 by Canon Press (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?

Valerie Kyriosity
Feb 03, 2013 Valerie Kyriosity rated it it was amazing
Nancy Wilson must be batty. How else could she so consistently hit the ball out of the park? ;^)

While there wasn't much in this book I hadn't already learned, most of it's stuff I'd learned through various magnificent blunders along the way. It's one of those books that makes me wish for time travel, so I could spare my younger self some stupidity-induced suffering. And some of it, while I've learned it in my head, bears repeating as I still learn to live it out.

In light of stuff I've recently w
Suzannah
Nov 06, 2012 Suzannah rated it really liked it
Re-read January 4, 2016.

A wonderful attitude tune-up that seems only to become more applicable and relevant with time.

Read December 24, 2010.
Sara Whear
Mar 02, 2017 Sara Whear rated it really liked it
This is a great introductory handbook for how to be an unmarried Christian woman. The chapters are short, practical, and full of Biblical wisdom. It's not the most in-depth look, but still very helpful.
Brian
Mar 08, 2017 Brian rated it really liked it
I have been thinking a lot about the topic recently and wanted to check out what my own team was saying from the end of the field that I usually didn't get to see. This seemed pretty reasonable and encouraging from a quick glance. Don't wait around for a guy. Don't get too fixated on a career that would prevent you from being a mom. Don't be discontent. You have opportunities as a single woman. Jobs are permissable. Yes, the people who ask are often offensive and thoughtless, but we do that all ...more
Bethel
Oct 12, 2012 Bethel added it
I'm not entirely sure why I picked this up, but since my bro-in-law left it and I'm always looking for books about women in society... I did pick it up.

Just a note: the title can be misleading. To me, "Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?: And Other Useful Comments" sounds like a feminist diatribe against marital expectations forced on us by a patriarchal society. If this is what you were expecting, I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed. The content of the book attempts to address the issues C
Miwaza Jemimah
Some girls might hesitate to pick up this book because of the title... I did ;) But I think this is a very very good and helpful book for a lot of young girls.

"Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like You Married?" So many people asked me similar questions in the past. Some said, "You cook so well! You're so ready to get married and start a family!" or "You own a business! Marriage must be the next thing on your list.", "You're a very good Christian. You can get married anytime!"… the lists goes on and on.
Lee Anne
Jul 06, 2015 Lee Anne rated it liked it
Mixed feelings on this one. Some of it is very helpful, and there are good points to ponder. It's a nice starting place to ask yourself "what are my thoughts and emotions about being single?", and provides good biblical principles of what to do with those thoughts and feelings.

But it's so very, very traditional, like suggesting that you may not want to go to med school unless you'd be willing to walk away as soon as you get married. I completely agree that picking a career like medicine or being
Megan
Nov 13, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
Thank you Nancy Wilson for reminding me how much I don't fit in as a "woman" or as a "Christian." While the book started out seeming to understand my plight as a lifelong single person, once it got to practical help, much of what she spent time on was insignificant (unless you're really concerned with outward appearance and decorating your house). I was especially looking forward to the chapter called "Are You desirable?", thinking it would speak to the common problem single women have about fal ...more
Bethany F.
Dec 06, 2010 Bethany F. rated it really liked it
Down to earth, blunt wisdom for unmarried women.

You are not an a useless awkward stage, you are a woman of God with a calling!

I didn't think it was as polished as "Building Her House" and sometimes almost brash, but still a wonderful, wonderful book! Loved it. Read it in a busy 24 hours.

I think the title might discouraged some girls that could really value from the book. Most teens don't want to pick up a book that says "Why Isn't a Pretty Girl Like you Married?" After all, they weren't expecti
Mar 08, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
March 2014 - I bought this book because of the title. Of course, I knew of the author's husband, so I figured it would probably be a great book to read, but the title sold me. Over all this is one of the most helpful books I've read on Godly living as a single woman. The short chapters are winsome and too the point, and Wilson doesn't waste time with the empty assurances often found in books for singles. Instead she goes straight to the Gospel and invites other women to come along. There are a f ...more
Kristy
Jan 13, 2012 Kristy rated it it was amazing
Rating: 10/10

This book is my case in point to the decisions I am making as a Christian single woman. Some great practical advice. Nancy gets straight to the point and doesn't muck around. Some might find it a bit full on but because I agree with her, I liked it.

The Questions:

Entertaining?: Surprisingly yes

Addictive?: Surprisingly yes, again

Impacting?: Yes

Thought provoking?: Yes

Clean?: Yes

Read it again?: Yes

Would I Recommend it: Yes!
Rachael
Feb 18, 2013 Rachael rated it it was amazing
"Why isn't a pretty girl like you married?" is one of many equally painful, nosey, and unhelpful questions single ladies are forced to face on a regular basis. These questions can cut to the heart of unmarried women. How should the Christian daughter handle these questions? How should she handle "singlehood" in general? In this book, Nancy Wilson aims to provide an answer using practical advice taken from basic biblical principles.
This is one book that I found incredibly encouraging. It is full
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 11, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it really liked it
This was helpful for me- a married man- to read. There are a few points where Nancy appears to be tougher and stricter than Doug, and I couldn't necessarily pin her opinions directly to exegesis, but nevertheless there's plenty of great advice here. It's a timely subject as well, since more and more aging singles are regular features of what would otherwise be thought of as "family-centered" churches.
Sarah Fowler
Dec 03, 2012 Sarah Fowler rated it liked it
Encouraging. There were a few eyebrow-raisers (Cultivating too-close friendships with women can lead to lesbianism? Christian parents would never tell a daughter it's time to move out on her own?), and it was prone to generalizations (Women are always motivated by relationships/emotions), but mostly solid. I did hope for a few snide answers to the title question, but of course she said to laugh it off and be gracious. ;-)
Kayla Mahnken
Aug 29, 2012 Kayla Mahnken rated it it was amazing

If you're a single Christian woman worried and frustrated by your present marital status you need to read this book. I've read my share of those "singleness is a gift" books but Nancy Wilson approaches it from a fresh perspective, is witty and to the point. You'll be laughing your way through the chapters, refreshed and encouraged in your walk as a single woman of God. Read it!
Annie
Nov 25, 2011 Annie rated it liked it
thanks to my sister for giving me a book i'd've never picked up but needed to read. It was very satisfying to hear someone in the church say the family includes sisters, daughters, n widows. The body of christ does not only have wives n mothers. It did have good reminders about attitude, thought life, forgiveness, and behavior. Yeah, life long journey always striving to be honoring n obedient.
Amanda Cain
Jan 11, 2014 Amanda Cain rated it really liked it
Why isn’t a Pretty Girl like you Married? is a humorous, yet theologically-sound, look at some of the awkward questions and uncomfortable situations single (or unmarried, as the author prefers) women face.

Read the rest of the review at http://thenerdybookworm.wordpress.com...
Jessica
May 11, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
An encouraging book overall, but because of different places I disagreed with the author I'm giving it a good instead of great. I would still recommend it to my fellow single sisters in Christ. The length was perfect and I appreciated the fairly short chapters on a wide range of topics. I will be skimming over this book as needed for encouragement. :)
Erin Hendrian
Jan 18, 2011 Erin Hendrian rated it really liked it
Shelves: leisure, ponderings
Kind of an embarrassing title to be caught reading in public, but full of lots of good advice and encouragement for women (especially in contentment, cheerfulness, productiveness, etc.), unmarried or otherwise.
Emily Tsesmeloglou
May 07, 2014 Emily Tsesmeloglou rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, and I think I would have benefited from reading it as a single person. I didn't find all of it completely relatable, but I appreciated the point that it's not necessarily a symptom of discontent to really want to be married.
Heather Denigan
Aug 27, 2011 Heather Denigan rated it really liked it
Good practical advice for an unattached young woman living in a family-centered church culture. I especially appreciate Nancy's gentleness and humor. She and her husband, Doug, always seem to get to the steady road between pendulum swings. The last three chapters are the best.
Melinda
Nov 22, 2012 Melinda rated it liked it
This book has some great points and some encouraging insights, mostly in the latter portion of the book. The first 3 chapters have quite a few things I disagree with. If you want a book to encourage you in your single, unmarried years, try...the Bible. It's the best one I've read so far! :D
Gwen Burrow
Oct 21, 2010 Gwen Burrow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Lovely wisdom from a lovely lady. Even if you think, "But I'm fine not being married right now--I've really got the contentment thing down"--I don't care. Read this book. You'll discover things you never knew you never knew.
Lindsey Doolan
Awesome, possibly-mistitled book. Lots about how to be productive while you're not married: contentment, service in the church, modesty, and other issues. How to become "the kind of woman that the kind of man you want to marry would want to marry." Great stuff.
Petra W
Mar 29, 2012 Petra W rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful. Mrs. Nancy tells you how to love the brothers, if you are going to move out can you still be under the headship of your father, and many other things....
Vicki
Jan 04, 2016 Vicki added it
Great title. Some good points.
Christopher
Mar 13, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Let's just say I'm that secure. Oh yes I am, so, so very secure. On an unrelated note, it was superb.
Jo
May 13, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
This book dealt with the central issues of single christian women in a direct, biblical manner going to the heart of matters. An Excellent resource for discipling young ladies.
Lanny
Dec 09, 2010 Lanny rated it it was amazing
Bravo! Superb! I'm completely loving it! I would gladly recommend this book to any and all girls/women. It is jam packed with tons of useful stuff for everybody.
Jan 16, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book is full of wisdom, authority and humor. Mrs. Wilson is like a grandmother speaking sage and kindly advice. Very helpful and straightforward.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nancy Wilson (nee Greensides) is the wife of Pastor Douglas Wilson, mother of N.D. Wilson, Rebekah Merkle, and Rachel Jankovic, and grandmother of seventeen who are (as yet) unpublished. She lives in northern Idaho.
More about Nancy Wilson...