Start by marking “Critic's Choice (Petit Morts #9)” as Want to Read:
Critic's Choice (Petit Morts #9)

Critic's Choice (Petit Morts #9)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  41 reviews
If there’s one thing film critic Crispin Colley can say about his ex-boyfriend Rey, it’s that Rey likes to remain friends with all his former lovers. Rey’s a friendly guy. Maybe too friendly, judging by the incident that drove the first and last nail in the coffin of their relationship.

But now Rey’s been hired for a DVD commentary on a classic horror flick. In typical Rey-
Published October 29th 2010 by JCP Books LLC (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Critic's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critic's Choice

Natasha
F you, Rey, you piece of shit.
Missy Welsh
Oh, that was wonderful! There were two sides to this story that are sticking with me: The laugh-out-loud humor and the, well, angst. (I hope it's all right that I've included these two quotes here.)

Regardless of how it had all turned out, Cris couldn't forget how it had been for those months, how it had felt to belong to someone, to have someone of his own. That had been his own personal concept of heaven... It had meant everything knowing that at lest there was finally someone to rely on, to tr
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Often, when I read Josh Lanyon's books, I feel like I'm in a movie, so I really felt comfortable at the beginning. Cris, the movie critic, and Rey, the director, meet for the first time after splitting due to Rey's cheating. They are at the house of a secluded actor for the shooting of the commentary of an old movie. Their meeting is awkward, and the whole situation slowly becomes as spooky as a clichéd horror movie: broken cars, fallen trees, eerie lights in the woods. Everything seems to conju ...more
Emma Sea
This short story completely charmed me. It's very self-aware, and tries to be a tad too clever, but at its heart is a guy who faces the truth that "being alone [isn't] nearly as lonely as being with people who don't love you".

Rey reminds me a great deal of J.X. from Lanyon's Holmes and Moriarity series.
Sath
Yet another winner by Josh Lanyon for the Petit Morts series.

Crispin is a horror film historian, and his ex, Rey, is a well-known film director. They're separated on amicable terms, but Crispin struggles with being around Rey. And now they're to work together on an audio commentary for a classic horror movie, to take place at the home of retired movie star Angelo Faust; in his creepy mansion in the middle of nowhere. A perfect setting for some bizarre and creepy PetitMort-style happenings.

I thin
Ije the Devourer of Books
Another gem from the Petit Mort series this time by Josh Lanyon. This story sees former lovers brought together to work on the commentary for a classic horror film. As they work together with the star of the film and record the commentary live they are served chocolates from the mysterious shop 'Sweets to the Sweet' and of course strange things begin to happen, and emotions and thoughts are revealed from overflowing hearts.

This is a delicious series with stories from Josh Lanyon, Jordan Castill
Ami
Sandra
So far this one and number 7, Sort of Stranger than Fiction, are my favorites. I think that is because they have deeper emotional element. In this story Rey and Cris have a previous relationship and that allows for more development within the novella. You really felt both of their pain (and Lanyon does a good job of not letting the reader feel like Rey gets off easy), but the overlay of the spooky horror-film-like night adds lightness and fun to it.
Kati
This book had more than a touch of magic realism in it. The wind, the falling tree, the shop right in the middle of nowhere... I really loved the atmosphere, Angelo's remote mansion that was somehow scary and hilarious at once. And Neat, Neat was a hoot, really: "No one will hear you scream." LOL!

At the same time, I wanted to give Cris a hug. What Rey did, even though he knew, he must have known, how much it would hurt Cris should he find out... I'm not sure I could've forgiven him.
Heather C
It always amazes me how Josh Lanyon can squeeze so much emotion into such a short story. The characters feel real and imperfect. The story is not rushed to get to a HEA. These 2 guys had major problems during their previous relationship, but it felt real that they were still attracted to and in love with each other. Some things are worth risking your heart and giving second chances. I hope Cris and Rey make it the second time around.
Lil' Grogan
Story was ok. Atmosphere was well done. Took me awhile to get into story. Got there when the two of them actually started talking. It was a bit clever?
Tam
4.5 STARS

Right from the start this story is heavy on the atmosphere with an elderly horror movie star’s home which is rather creepy, and the spookiness only continues to grow once the day’s work is done. Also, Cris’ unease at being around his ex is vividly portrayed. I felt that I was right inside him, wanting to be professional, knowing his ex wasn’t necessary a total bastard, but he simply couldn’t accept infidelity and be friends with the guy.

The secondary characters of Angelo, the aging acto
L-D
The premise behind this series is pretty cute. Chance is some sort of magical man/being and he has a chocolate confectionery called Sweets for the Sweet and seems to be some sort of mystical matchmaker.

In this installment, Crispin Colley is a film critic and is asked to do a voice-over and commentary on the DVD version of a classic horror flick. His ex-boyfriend, Rey, pulled strings to get him on DVD with one of his idols, Director Angelo Faust. Cris can't turn down this opportunity even if it
Tara
Another Josh Lanyon installment. Crispin is a horror film historian and Rey is a director being called the next Wes Craven. They also broke up about 6 months ago. Now they are both at aging film legend, Angelo Faust's house to do an audio track recording for the release of one of his classic films. As the days creeps into night, Rey and Cris seem to be trapped in their own personal horror movie. Add in the deadpanned butler, Neat and a drunk Angelo, not to mention a brief appearance by Chance an ...more
Nicole
This was not among my favorites. Film critic and historian Crispin fell in love with director Rey, but they recently broke up. It was not an amicable breakup, but Rey still wants to be friends. When they meet again at a film commentary filming, events unfold.

This is one of the few Lanyon books I did not enjoy. I thought the story was interesting, but Rey did not explain himself well enough for me to actually understand why Crispin would take him back. Nor did he actually perform any feat that w
Josephine Myles
This story is very different from the other Petit Morts in that it deals with two film buffs, Cris and Rey, giving their failed relationship a second chance. This was a change of theme I found refreshing, although it does seem to fit somewhat oddly with the other stories.

The faux Gothic mansion of the aging horror movie star was an inspired setting, allowing Josh to play with all sorts of horror movie cliches in a very knowing, postmodern fashion – giving the reader a nod and a wink every time t
Megan
A fusion of a campy horror movie and a reunited lovers story? YES, PLEASE. I delighted at the hilarious and pointed use of horror tropes, I enjoyed the character's intelligence with these tropes (one's a film critic and the other's a director, so they're well-versed), and oh gosh, the emotional story, the two lovers who've fought and who may not be able to trust one another again but maybe there's still love? Loved it. Other than the pacing being a little off (too much exposition and explanation ...more
France-Andrée
Cris and Rey used to be together, but six months ago Rey destroyed their relationship by cheating. Now, they are reunited to do the commentary on a old time horror movie they both love with the main actor of the said movie.

I quite liked the mixed up of pseudo-gothic atmosphere with m-m romance. Having a passion for old time movie too, the story made me add one to my to watch list.
thelastaerie
Nice short story about giving someone and yourself a second chance. The conflict is old school - he wanted white picket fence and HEA, he didn't know if he's ready. Pride and self defense mechanism prevents many of us listening to our hearts, Josh Lanyon's heroes both made mistakes, in this case, it takes some spooky moment and enlightenment under fearful circumstances to get them back together...

Excellent drawn and deadpan funny supporting character, I think there should be a spin-off for Neat
Lady*M
I liked the atmosphere of the story and I thought Angelo and Neat were a hoot. Lanyon did a great job on conveying Cris's past experiences and his pain and I really sympathized with him. I'm not sure I would have had a capacity to forgive Rey, but I was glad that Cris had. Creepy, yet sweet, funny and emotional. There was not much Chance in the story, but I have this idea where Angelo and Neat were paired with Chance's help in the past. I like that, even if it wasn't what author intended. ^^
Katharina
And again another unexpected, fun story from Josh Lanyon.

The whole horror movie scenario in this one was great, as were the characters (Angelo cracked me up at times, and Cris and Rey really had amazing chemistry). This is one of the stories where I'm really sad that I don't get to know how things will go for these two. I loved that they had history together and, I think, Cris' dealings with that history were well portrayed and very believable.

Definitely recommended!
Rachel
I found this story in the series to be ...I don"t know what word I am looking for here< maybe something in between 'off' or maybe inconsistent with the rest of the series. I did not like how small a role Chance played or even interacted with the characters and felt that 'Nice' seemed more of the matchmaker in the end - that and a more traditional type of fate as we know it in the out-of-book world.
Marge
My favorite of Josh's Petit Morts stories. I liked that they guys were in the scenes together for the most part. Cris' longing for family and someone who would finally care only for him really came through, along with his hurt that Rey had been unable to answer that longing. Add in a spooky old house, some craziness, and Chance to finally get them talking again to get a tale well worth reading.
~~~Heather S.~~~
This was different from the other stories, rather than two strangers meeting and hooking up, this one focused on the fall out of a breakup. It was a nice change and as usual I loved Lanyon's writing style (perfect imagery!). I immediately felt for Cris and went from disliking Rey very much to seeing why Cris fell for him in the first place. It was very sweet with spooky Petit Morts elements!
Kari Gregg
Evidence A for the prosecution that the short form does lend itself to big characterization; Rey & Cris are masterfully written characters with (gasp) flaws. Real issues separate the heroes. A simple talk won't sort their problems out.

Being a little spooky is just icing on the cake. Don't miss the one, guys. Critic's Choice is a keeper.
Sylvie
Mar 04, 2011 Sylvie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Adored this sweet little story. I have a thing for reconciliation/reunion pieces. I haven't checked the others yet as I just bought them off JCPbooks. As an aside, the epub quality is very good.
Lucy
3.5 We don't see Chance much in this one but his chocolates are there. Rey is a cheater, yes, who realizes what he's given up when he made his mistake. I loved Neat. Deep screams indeed.
Chris
Very good short m/m paranormal m/m romance about a film critic who gets the chance to work on a dream project and does so, even though he'll be working with his cheating ex-boyfriend.
  • Wishink Well (Petit Morts #10)
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts #8)
  • Max and Finn (Men of Smithfield #2)
  • Irregulars
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)