Start by marking “Critic's Choice (Petit Morts, #9)” as Want to Read:
Critic's Choice (Petit Morts, #9)

Critic's Choice (Petit Morts #9)

If there’s one thing film critic Crispin Colley can say about his ex-boyfriend Rey, it’s that Rey likes to remain friends with all his former lovers. Rey’s a friendly guy. Maybe too friendly, judging by the incident that drove the first and last nail in the coffin of their relationship.

But now Rey’s been hired for a DVD commentary on a classic horror flick. In typical Rey-
Published October 26th 2010 by JCP Books

To ask other readers questions about Critic's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critic's Choice

Natasha
Dec 11, 2014 Natasha rated it it was ok
F you, Rey, you piece of shit.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Mar 31, 2012 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it it was amazing
Often, when I read Josh Lanyon's books, I feel like I'm in a movie, so I really felt comfortable at the beginning. Cris, the movie critic, and Rey, the director, meet for the first time after splitting due to Rey's cheating. They are at the house of a secluded actor for the shooting of the commentary of an old movie. Their meeting is awkward, and the whole situation slowly becomes as spooky as a clichéd horror movie: broken cars, fallen trees, eerie lights in the woods. Everything seems to conju ...more
Alisa
Aug 28, 2016 Alisa rated it liked it
Great idea for a story. Loved that it was spooky at times. I just didn't feel the connection between these two that much. With their bad history, I wanted something a lot more when they get back together. It wasn't a bad story but I went into it expecting a lot more than what I got.

I did this on audio and the narrator was good.
Emma Sea
Sep 17, 2012 Emma Sea rated it really liked it
This short story completely charmed me. It's very self-aware, and tries to be a tad too clever, but at its heart is a guy who faces the truth that "being alone [isn't] nearly as lonely as being with people who don't love you".

Rey reminds me a great deal of J.X. from Lanyon's Holmes and Moriarity series.
Tully Vincent
Apr 15, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Well-written short with interesting ending.
Sath
Jul 29, 2011 Sath rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, reviewed
Yet another winner by Josh Lanyon for the Petit Morts series.

Crispin is a horror film historian, and his ex, Rey, is a well-known film director. They're separated on amicable terms, but Crispin struggles with being around Rey. And now they're to work together on an audio commentary for a classic horror movie, to take place at the home of retired movie star Angelo Faust; in his creepy mansion in the middle of nowhere. A perfect setting for some bizarre and creepy PetitMort-style happenings.

I thin
Ami
Oct 30, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Ije the Devourer of Books
Apr 03, 2014 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it it was amazing
Another gem from the Petit Mort series this time by Josh Lanyon. This story sees former lovers brought together to work on the commentary for a classic horror film. As they work together with the star of the film and record the commentary live they are served chocolates from the mysterious shop 'Sweets to the Sweet' and of course strange things begin to happen, and emotions and thoughts are revealed from overflowing hearts.

This is a delicious series with stories from Josh Lanyon, Jordan Castill
Nicole
Mar 10, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
This was not among my favorites. Film critic and historian Crispin fell in love with director Rey, but they recently broke up. It was not an amicable breakup, but Rey still wants to be friends. When they meet again at a film commentary filming, events unfold.

This is one of the few Lanyon books I did not enjoy. I thought the story was interesting, but Rey did not explain himself well enough for me to actually understand why Crispin would take him back. Nor did he actually perform any feat that w
Sandra
Dec 31, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it
So far this one and number 7, Sort of Stranger than Fiction, are my favorites. I think that is because they have deeper emotional element. In this story Rey and Cris have a previous relationship and that allows for more development within the novella. You really felt both of their pain (and Lanyon does a good job of not letting the reader feel like Rey gets off easy), but the overlay of the spooky horror-film-like night adds lightness and fun to it.
charlotte
rey didnt deserve cris back
Susana
May 19, 2015 Susana added it
Film critic Crispin Colley has a thing for classic terror movies, and he cannot resist the chance of meeting one of his favourite film stars, Angelo Faust, even if it implies having to work besides his cheating ex, Rey Starr. Crispin expects a bit of an awkward situation, but what he does not expect for sure is to live his own horror night.
Critic Choice is fun. Told from Crispin’s point of view, it tells us about his misery in the six months since he found out Rey had cheated on him. C
Kati
Mar 13, 2011 Kati rated it it was amazing
This book had more than a touch of magic realism in it. The wind, the falling tree, the shop right in the middle of nowhere... I really loved the atmosphere, Angelo's remote mansion that was somehow scary and hilarious at once. And Neat, Neat was a hoot, really: "No one will hear you scream." LOL!

At the same time, I wanted to give Cris a hug. What Rey did, even though he knew, he must have known, how much it would hurt Cris should he find out... I'm not sure I could've forgiven him.
Heather C
May 31, 2011 Heather C rated it it was amazing
It always amazes me how Josh Lanyon can squeeze so much emotion into such a short story. The characters feel real and imperfect. The story is not rushed to get to a HEA. These 2 guys had major problems during their previous relationship, but it felt real that they were still attracted to and in love with each other. Some things are worth risking your heart and giving second chances. I hope Cris and Rey make it the second time around.
Lil' Grogan
Dec 13, 2010 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts, 2-5, contemp-rom, m-m
Story was ok. Atmosphere was well done. Took me awhile to get into story. Got there when the two of them actually started talking. It was a bit clever?
Tam
Jul 21, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, other-paranormal
4.5 STARS

Right from the start this story is heavy on the atmosphere with an elderly horror movie star’s home which is rather creepy, and the spookiness only continues to grow once the day’s work is done. Also, Cris’ unease at being around his ex is vividly portrayed. I felt that I was right inside him, wanting to be professional, knowing his ex wasn’t necessary a total bastard, but he simply couldn’t accept infidelity and be friends with the guy.

The secondary characters of Angelo, the aging acto
L-D
The premise behind this series is pretty cute. Chance is some sort of magical man/being and he has a chocolate confectionery called Sweets for the Sweet and seems to be some sort of mystical matchmaker.

In this installment, Crispin Colley is a film critic and is asked to do a voice-over and commentary on the DVD version of a classic horror flick. His ex-boyfriend, Rey, pulled strings to get him on DVD with one of his idols, Director Angelo Faust. Cris can't turn down this opportunity even if it
Tara
Another Josh Lanyon installment. Crispin is a horror film historian and Rey is a director being called the next Wes Craven. They also broke up about 6 months ago. Now they are both at aging film legend, Angelo Faust's house to do an audio track recording for the release of one of his classic films. As the days creeps into night, Rey and Cris seem to be trapped in their own personal horror movie. Add in the deadpanned butler, Neat and a drunk Angelo, not to mention a brief appearance by Chance an ...more
Josephine Myles
Dec 11, 2010 Josephine Myles rated it really liked it
This story is very different from the other Petit Morts in that it deals with two film buffs, Cris and Rey, giving their failed relationship a second chance. This was a change of theme I found refreshing, although it does seem to fit somewhat oddly with the other stories.

The faux Gothic mansion of the aging horror movie star was an inspired setting, allowing Josh to play with all sorts of horror movie cliches in a very knowing, postmodern fashion – giving the reader a nod and a wink every time t
Otila
May 07, 2015 Otila rated it really liked it
Read as part of Sweet Spot: The Petit Mort Stories

Cris is a movie critic who's been hired to work on a DVD commentary of a classic horror film alongside with the star of the film, who happens to be Cris's idol. Unfortunately, he also has to work with his ex who cheated on him six months ago but also seems to have gotten him this great job.

This story was my favorite. I liked the creepy setting of this Gothic mansion in the Hollywood Hills and all the blatant horror movie tropes Lanyon used. The r
Megan
Sep 07, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
A fusion of a campy horror movie and a reunited lovers story? YES, PLEASE. I delighted at the hilarious and pointed use of horror tropes, I enjoyed the character's intelligence with these tropes (one's a film critic and the other's a director, so they're well-versed), and oh gosh, the emotional story, the two lovers who've fought and who may not be able to trust one another again but maybe there's still love? Loved it. Other than the pacing being a little off (too much exposition and explanation ...more
Julie
Mar 11, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
The Petit Morts are like chocolate...so intense and enjoyable, yet the pleasure is over too quickly. This was another wonderful story, and I love how JL gets to the emotional heart of the relationship between Cris and Rey so quickly, and so seamlessly.
France-Andrée
Jan 21, 2014 France-Andrée rated it really liked it
Cris and Rey used to be together, but six months ago Rey destroyed their relationship by cheating. Now, they are reunited to do the commentary on a old time horror movie they both love with the main actor of the said movie.

I quite liked the mixed up of pseudo-gothic atmosphere with m-m romance. Having a passion for old time movie too, the story made me add one to my to watch list.
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Reviewing from memory It's been awhile since I listened to the audio for this as part of Josh's short story collection. I do remember liking the narrator, and the process of making a DVD commentary was interesting and provided most of the humor. The spooky movie inspired nighttime adventure with Rey and Crispin was fun too. Rey though is a cheating cheater who cheats and his reasons for doing so were purely selfish. I don't think he did nearly enough groveling and Crispin caved in too fast (thou ...more
liz
Jan 09, 2015 liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story though I think Rey should be kicked in the junk. Not sure he even came close to forgiveness.
Daniela Green
Oct 02, 2014 Daniela Green rated it it was amazing
A little gem.
thelastaerie
Nov 02, 2010 thelastaerie rated it it was amazing
Nice short story about giving someone and yourself a second chance. The conflict is old school - he wanted white picket fence and HEA, he didn't know if he's ready. Pride and self defense mechanism prevents many of us listening to our hearts, Josh Lanyon's heroes both made mistakes, in this case, it takes some spooky moment and enlightenment under fearful circumstances to get them back together...

Excellent drawn and deadpan funny supporting character, I think there should be a spin-off for Neat
Lady*M
Apr 15, 2012 Lady*M rated it really liked it
I liked the atmosphere of the story and I thought Angelo and Neat were a hoot. Lanyon did a great job on conveying Cris's past experiences and his pain and I really sympathized with him. I'm not sure I would have had a capacity to forgive Rey, but I was glad that Cris had. Creepy, yet sweet, funny and emotional. There was not much Chance in the story, but I have this idea where Angelo and Neat were paired with Chance's help in the past. I like that, even if it wasn't what author intended. ^^
Katharina
Jan 21, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
And again another unexpected, fun story from Josh Lanyon.

The whole horror movie scenario in this one was great, as were the characters (Angelo cracked me up at times, and Cris and Rey really had amazing chemistry). This is one of the stories where I'm really sad that I don't get to know how things will go for these two. I loved that they had history together and, I think, Cris' dealings with that history were well portrayed and very believable.

Definitely recommended!
Rachel
I found this story in the series to be ...I don"t know what word I am looking for here< maybe something in between 'off' or maybe inconsistent with the rest of the series. I did not like how small a role Chance played or even interacted with the characters and felt that 'Nice' seemed more of the matchmaker in the end - that and a more traditional type of fate as we know it in the out-of-book world.
  • Wishink Well (Petit Morts, #10)
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts, #8)
  • Media Naranja (Petit Morts, #16)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

Petit Morts (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Hue, Tint and Shade (Petit Morts, #1)
  • Slings and Arrows (Petit Morts, #2)
  • Moolah and Moonshine (Petit Morts, #3)
  • Other People's Weddings (Petit Morts, #4)
  • Spanish Fly Guy (Petit Morts, #5)
  • Pretty Ugly (Petit Morts, #6)
  • Sort of Stranger Than Fiction (Petit Morts, #7)
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts, #8)
  • Wishink Well (Petit Morts, #10)
  • Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts, #11)

“Being alone wasn't nearly as lonely as being with people who didn't love you” 2 likes