Start by marking “Pretty Ugly (Petit Morts, #6)” as Want to Read:
Pretty Ugly (Petit Morts, #6)

Pretty Ugly (Petit Morts #6)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  247 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Just because Dominic Mann personally lacks beauty doesn’t mean he can’t appreciate it. His keen eye has made him one of the most celebrated and sought-after photographers in Nashville.

The grand re-opening of the Cypress Mansion is an event for Nashville’s truly elite, and Dominic is the official photographer of the evening. Not that he’d need that excuse to introduce himse
Published October 26th 2010 by JCP Books

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Ugly

Sath
Apr 27, 2011 Sath rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, reviewed
Dominic is a celebrity photographer, he's pretty good at his job, and renowned for it. But he feels that he's not much of a looker himself, and seems to be a depressed from photographing goodlooking men, and feeling a bit jaded by the whole dating thing.

He does however manage to hook up with new young singer Johnny Palomino (cheesy stage name much?), and he's hoping for more. But is Johnny just using him as a stepladder to fame? He certainly seems to know just how to play it.

Then the next mornin
Ami
Oct 29, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Tara
I decided to start the year of right by reading the second installment of the Petit Mort series. In book six we follow Dominic Mann a photographic that can see the beauty in his work but in himself he just sees the ugly. In turn his relationships seem to go poorly as well. When he meets our favorite Chocolatier, Chance, at a party he's photographing, he is challenged to consider if he really sees what's inside and is not taken by shiny outsides as well. Then he wakes up the next morning and he i ...more
Susana
May 19, 2015 Susana rated it liked it
Dominic Mann is a socialite photographer who is quite worried about beauty… Or about his own lack of it. So when he goes to a grand opening at Cypress Mansion it is handsome Johnny Palomino the man who catches his eye. But the next morning Dominic finds something has changed, when a gorgeous man looks back at him from his bathroom mirror. Is he suddenly different? Or has his image of himself changed? Maybe it is all a matter of perception, that’s why Dominic does not find Johnny attractive any m ...more
Emmie
Nov 16, 2011 Emmie rated it really liked it
I did really enjoy this one, but it was initially confusing as it sort of led you down a different love interest path. The ending was nice and you feel like there was a connection made, even for such a short story & time frame.
Chris
Nov 24, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good short paranormal m/m story about a photographer who describes himself as "plug ugly". He's shooting an event when he encounters the elusive chocolatier Chance, who gives him a very special chocolate...
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I never got into this story. I was waiting for something interesting to happen and it never really did.
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~

This was a vast improvement over the previous book, Spanish Fly Guy. I'm still a little creeped out by Chance. He's doing something to those chocolates and it's uncomfortable to think about. Here though he decided to give Dominic a little Shallow Hal treatment, with a twist. Dominic thinks he's ugly, so Chance made him beautiful for a day, to encourage him to look beyond what's on the outside. Which is a strange way to go about doing that, but hey, it worked. I also liked that the firs
PettyProse
Jun 23, 2011 PettyProse rated it it was amazing
Review: This was another delight from Jordan Castillo Price in the series. For me, it had less of the tension and shock effect of others of her shorts, but the treat in this one was the feeling of emotional reveal, of both characters and storyline.
Review for Brief Encounters Reviews: http://briefencountersreviews.com/201...

The strapline for JCP Books is “Beautiful, Mysterious, Bizarre’, and Pretty Ugly pretty much met all those for me! The gradual introduction of Dominic and the fascinating cast
Elisa Rolle
All the authors in the Petit Morts series have their distinctively style, and that of Jordan Castillo Price is to be biting (and yes, considering we are talking of sweets, the pun is very much intended). She has a little horror touch, nothing overwhelming, more or less like an aftertaste, something that is lingering on the palate after you finish to read one of her novella.

Here we have Dominic, forty something interior design photographer, that, mostly due to his work, is used to judge everyone
Charly
Oct 30, 2012 Charly rated it really liked it
Not much of a romance, but a well-written story all the same

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- Price is a great writer, able to portray the physical and emotional essence of a scene with just a few paragraphs. The depiction of Nashville and its inhabitants struck me as simultaneously flattering and truthful, and the descriptions of photography are detailed. The story is obviously either based on personal experience or well-researched.
- Desp
Wren
Nov 01, 2010 Wren rated it it was amazing
I really liked the first set of "Petit Morts", so I'm not surprised to be enjoying this next one. The little bits we have with Chance, the chocolatier, only open him up a little to inquiring minds, but he seems to be rather grouchy about something. I know we'll get his full story sooner or later.

The unusual events of this story center around magic (?) that is both a little disturbing and heartwarming. I really didn't catch onto what might be happening till very close to the end, then I had to go
L-D
Nov 24, 2011 L-D rated it liked it
The premise behind this series is pretty cute. Chance is some sort of magical man/being and he has a chocolate confectionery called Sweets for the Sweet and seems to be some sort of mystical matchmaker.

Dominic Mann is a photographer that is attracted to beauty. When he meets our friendly chocolatier at an event, Chance challenges him to look beyond appearances, to the deeper beauty within. When Dominic wakes up, he discovers an interesting surprise.

This was a pretty good story, but I have to ad
Remington
Nov 24, 2010 Remington rated it liked it
This book left me genuinely uncertain and a bit befuddled. It's been my experience that JCP rarely disappoints, but I found this petit morts addition frankly odd. I thought I had a good idea of what was happening in the beginning: Shallow photographer Dominic always beds stars to make up for his lack of looks, until the mysterious Chance rolls along and changes things. But then the story careened into strange territory. The love interest didn't appear until midway through, and then his character ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Mar 20, 2012 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
I have been an ugly duck all my life, so I could really relate to poor Dominic, and I was also very fascinated by the way he realized Butch was literally more than he seemed. I like this serious because, as the chocolatier and puppet master that links all the story, the elusive Chance, it's a series about taking and giving a chance, a second chance very often. All the stories are like tableaus that come alive when we open the book. It might be frustrating, because you can never get enough of the ...more
Harry
Dec 23, 2013 Harry rated it liked it
This was a strange story, but I liked reading about Dominic’s insecurities (since I’ve got plenty of my own). Although the story concluded on a sweet note (chocolate pun intended), I wanted more concrete details about what had happened to Dominic, and I wanted him to be able to confront Chance one more time. This was the first I've read in this series, though, so I'm guessing we never actually get concrete details about how the chocolate changes things. Oh, well.

Melanie~~
I really liked the ending, but the first 75% were a bit slow. Artsy read. ;-)
Lady*M
Apr 14, 2012 Lady*M rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
This story has an atmosphere that reminded me of Julio Cortázar's stories: it makes you squirm, it's uncomfortable, but you just can't stop reading and admiring the imagination. This is a story about self-image, perceptions and beauty, but, of course, things aren't that simple. And, that is exactly the point. I like this more "sinister" Chance too.
Megan
Never warmed up to Dominic or felt that he was fleshed-out in any meaningful or surprising ways, and I'm uninterested by photography, so unfortunately, a lot of the details weren't engaging to me. The romance was sweet and the story gained momentum after the two finally met, but it took a while to get there.
Plainbrownwrapper
Oct 24, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Not an awful lot to say about this one. A "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sort of story. It was a bit extra appealing to me, since it is set in my home town of Nashville, but it didn't really have much Nashville-ness to it aside from a few mentions of the city's flooding a few years ago.
Lucy
Apr 14, 2011 Lucy rated it liked it
I thought this story had a lot of potential that it didn't live up to. Chance the chocolatier appears, but the whole concept of proving beauty isn't everything by making Dominic beautiful, really went no where in the end. The end seemed abrupt, as well.
Danielle
Dec 14, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
This one was just okay for me. My one real complaint is that there are a lot of characters introduced in the beginning and you don't really get a feel for who the love interest is going to be. In a short story I like to know what's going on right away.
~~~Heather S.~~~
Jan 17, 2011 ~~~Heather S.~~~ rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Chance is up to his meddling again, making poor Dominic feel like he's lost his mind all while teaching him a valuable lesson about outward appearances.

I just wish we saw more of the shower scene, I felt a bit shortchanged!!
k_b
Dec 18, 2011 k_b rated it really liked it
Nice story with interesting characters. But I got the feeling that the author was going for some kind of message, and I didn't get it. Which is a shame, because the rest of the story was wonderful.
Pia Veleno
It dragged a little with the MC focused so much on his bad/good looks, but the final word in the mirror (and the message the MC drew from it) made the story well worth reading.
Jan 07, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
3.5

I'm not quite sure what to make of this story to be honest it was well written and enjoyable but I felt that too much was left hanging.

Meggie
Feb 21, 2013 Meggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts
This story was good enough, but something felt off. The way it began and then ended, just didn't feel right. I was disappointed.
Katy Beth Mckee
Interesting little story where you are led to examine the idea of beauty being skin deep or in the eye of the beholder.
Cole Riann
Oct 25, 2011 Cole Riann rated it really liked it
Another great story in the PM series, this one with a stellar dialogue scene between our MC and Chance.
Sandra
I really liked this but these novellas can be a bit of a tease, I would have liked just one more chapter!
  • Critic's Choice (Petit Morts, #9)
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts, #8)
  • Media Naranja (Petit Morts, #16)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Three More Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #2)
  • Twilight (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #3)
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside (Bellingham Mysteries, #2)
  • Decadence (Dominion, #0.2)
  • Miles and the Magic Flute
  • Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions #3)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check
More about Jordan Castillo Price...

Petit Morts (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Hue, Tint and Shade (Petit Morts, #1)
  • Slings and Arrows (Petit Morts, #2)
  • Moolah and Moonshine (Petit Morts, #3)
  • Other People's Weddings (Petit Morts, #4)
  • Spanish Fly Guy (Petit Morts, #5)
  • Sort of Stranger Than Fiction (Petit Morts, #7)
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts, #8)
  • Critic's Choice (Petit Morts, #9)
  • Wishink Well (Petit Morts, #10)
  • Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts, #11)