Start by marking “War Beneath the Waves: A True Story of Courage and Leadership Aboard a World War II Submarine” as Want to Read:

The gripping story of heroism under the sea, from the national bestselling author of Final Patrol & U.S.S. Billfish

In November 1943, while on war patrol in the Makassar Strait, the U.S.S. Billfish submarine was spotted by the Japanese, who launched a vicious depth charge attack. Explosions wracked the sub for fifteen straight hours. With senior officers incapacitate
Published April 5th 2011 by NAL (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about War Beneath the Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Beneath the Waves

Matt
I have read Don Keith's books before and found them tedious and poorly written, however I read The ice Diaries coauthored by him with William Anderson (CO Nautilus for the famous Under the North Pole voyage) and enjoyed the book. I firmly suspect the majority of the Ice Diaries Ice Diaries The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures by William R. Anderson is the work of William Anderson. In fairness to Mr. Keith I gave him another chance with War Beneath the Seas. After reading the book I can only say never again will I read his unsubstantiated and shallow "work". In sho ...more
Dakota
Mar 09, 2015 Dakota rated it liked it
This was a great book, I really think it was. This was one of the few books I've read and genuinely liked at least in the middle. This was a book I really liked in the middle of it.The one thing about this book is it had like a 80 page epilogue that was boring as heck and a pain in butt to go through. It was a sort of writing I've never experienced in a book. That epilogue was more bland and monotone than a history book. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great book, so far that I think the m ...more
Christian Hogan
May 24, 2012 Christian Hogan rated it really liked it
Charlie Rush is a officer in a World War Two submarine. He has been trained and taught by one of the best sub captains of the era, captain "Moke" Millican. Later, while on a war patrol in the south pacific, the sub that Rush is assigned to gets attacked by a japanese anti-submarine ship. With all of his senior officers incapacitated, Rush must take command,and save the USS Billfish and her crew from certain death from the vicious depth-charge attack.
If this book was made into a movie, the writer
Christopher Obert
Jul 19, 2013 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This book is the story of an American submarine (and her crew) during World War II. The story is a very human one, dealing with fear and courage, leadership and loyalty, life and death. War is a very dangerous and stressful time and nothing may be more dangerous and stressful than being in a submarine during war. It is a place that can easily kill you under the best of conditions. And when things go wrong, they can go wrong very quickly. This is the story of things going wrong! I found that the ...more
David Glad
Aug 12, 2013 David Glad rated it it was amazing
True to the star rating, I did find this book amazing.

Yes, from other books life aboard submarines was much more unpleasant and confined than it is now to the point FDR after touring one gave an executive order permitting crew members hazard pay even when they were not in a war zone. Equally astonishing is the cat-and-mouse game subs had to play against Japanese warships to avoid capture/sinking when they were cornered or detected.

This really was much a page turner as there was a genuine curiosi
7$MartyQ
Oct 02, 2016 7$MartyQ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible True Story

This book taught me how the men who fought in the boats respected their heritage. Some men were just not up to being the skipper of a submarine. They weren't cowards, they don't couldn't handle the stress of being "trapped" in a submarine that was Four or five hundred feet below the surface of the sea. As the author explains, they were willing and able to serve their country; they just couldn't do it in a submarine. I have seen some men crack and I was on a destroyer. Unfort
Leslie Mesmer
Nov 15, 2012 Leslie Mesmer rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in this. It read almost like a history report for class.
It started off giving background and then covered the actual event on the Billfish and then did a quick update at the end that just came across as rushed.
It is an easy read though because it isn't overly technical to the point it's boring
I really don't feel like they did enough to help you relate to people the story was told about.
I gave it a 3 only because it did give you a little insight into not only sub
Mark
Jun 19, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of history books.

This book is more trilling than most action novels I've read that is paired with a great secret.

And before this book, I used to think the 8th Air Force bomber pilots took the worst of the war. Now, I'm utterly convinced the submarine force had it worse off. Not that in the field combat is any picnic.
Suzanne Jacob
Feb 07, 2016 Suzanne Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast, fascinating read about the USS Billfish and it's 12 hours of depth charging by the Japanese. How some men rise to the occasion and take over the command of a sub whose officers were incapacitated is a story of psychology, war, and strength. It's also a story about honor and why it took 62 years for the story to be told.
Steve
Sep 28, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Fast-paced account of American submarine crew's battle experiences in the Pacific. Descriptions of equipment, tactics, weapons and life aboard a sub seem very realistic. Add to that the excellent characterization of individual officers and crew members in dire circumstances and this becomes one of my favorite WWII documentaries.
Dave Hoff
Sep 18, 2013 Dave Hoff rated it really liked it
Another war story that came to light, almost 70 yrs after the fact A Cain Mutiny type, but non-fiction, story with Jap depth charges, instead of weather related troubles. A junior officer takes command & saves the sub. Author gives a lot of info to cause a non-military reader an understanding of how subs are equipped, their operation and the Navy way.
Jim
Aug 21, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
It's book took 276 pages to tell a story that I found most of on several web pages. The author also repeats some of the same technical data. Poor editing or trying to hit a page count? I'm glad I know this story. The story deserves 5 stars. It's another example of "the greatest generation" in action under the most trying of circumstances.
Paul
Feb 20, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: submarine
The writing is staid, to say the least, but the story is solid. The first couple of chapters left me fearing the book would continue in the worst tradition of tell not show, however once it got into the accounts of actual events it picked up reasonably, and it is a story well worth reading.
Marta
Feb 05, 2011 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Courage and persistence brought these men back home again and then allowed them to be recognized for their heroism 60 years after the fact.
Sofia
Jun 24, 2011 Sofia rated it liked it
Amazing story, although it was a pretty boring delivery.
D
Mar 31, 2014 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "inside" story of World War II submarines as you never dreamed.
Roadhouse
Jan 10, 2012 Roadhouse rated it liked it
Interesting book about American submarines in the Pacific Ocean.
Lance
Jan 29, 2012 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story.
Tom
Dec 04, 2016 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A largely entertaining book, but somewhat repetitive and a bit rudimentary at times. That said, definitely an enjoyable read.
Brian
Feb 24, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok
I agree with other reviews that it was not well written. It was all over the place at times but it's also 1st person account of WWII so still worth a read.
Vetri
Vetri rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Fred Alberti
Fred Alberti rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
M4dm4n
M4dm4n rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Maggie Fernandez
Maggie Fernandez rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Dean Moore
Dean Moore rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Steve Mckenney
Steve Mckenney rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Tom Fox
Tom Fox rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Bj
Bj rated it it was ok
May 02, 2015
Bradley J. Rhodes
Bradley J. Rhodes rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Steven Mcginley
Steven Mcginley rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Award-winning and best-selling author Don Keith was born in 1947 and has lived in the South all his life. He attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa where he received his degree in broadcast and film communication with a minor in English and literature. While working as a broadcast journalist, he won awards from the Associated Press and United Press International for news writing and repo ...more
More about Don Keith...