Start by marking “Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls, #1)

Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,433 ratings  ·  209 reviews
Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she's excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!
Country Manor School isn't all excitement,
Published May 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Gates, please sign up.

Misbah Khan In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding…more

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she’s excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!

Country Manor School isn’t all excitement, though. Louisa isn’t sure how she feels about her new roommates: athletic but snobby Rosie and everything’s-a-conspiracy Evelyn. Even Maddie seems different away from home, quiet and worried all the time.

Still, Louisa loves CMS -- the survival skills classes, the fresh air. She doesn’t even miss not having a TV, or the internet, or any contact with home. It’s for their own safety, after all.
(less)
Uglies by Scott WesterfeldBehind the Gates by Eva GraySecrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen CalonitaThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerPoseidon’s Children by Michael  West
Make These Book Into TV Shows, I Say!
2nd out of 50 books — 25 voters
Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamorePoint Blank by Anthony Horowitz
Spy Kids
152nd out of 240 books — 658 voters

More lists with this book...

Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I ended up liking this one. It almost could be Young Adult, not because of the subject, just because of the interactions between the girls. I don't know how many books are planned for the series, but if you took the first five books and squished them into one book, it could definitely pass as a young adult book. But because of the length and the lightness, it's more middle grade.

The way that Louisa and her friends interacted was good. At times I had to remind myself that they weren't 16 year old
Giovanni Gelati
A Middle school book to share with my youngest daughter on occasion is fun and breaks things up a bit. Next week I will be reading a Brett Battles middle school novel, and sometime later I believe the new John Grisham YA novel also. Okay let’s get this rolling along and find out what is between the covers:
“In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.
Amy Jacobs
With all of the hype surrounding dystopia themed books lately, it is no surprise that the younger teen books are jumping in on the trend. In the tween book Behind the Gates by Eva Gray, we get to peek into the future of how schooling for our children could be if wars have destroyed our country.

At first, I couldn't really get into this book. While it had all of the elements that have sucked me into the dystopia world, I couldn't seem to make a connection with the characters. For me, there is a fi
Meghan
A slightly edited version is also posted on Luxury Reading and a shortened version is posted on my blog, Books and a Cup of Tea.

Louisa lives in a world plagued with war. Nothing is the same, and it seems nothing will ever be the same again.

In order to protect her and her friend Maddie, Louisa's parents send them to a boarding school called Country Manor School, where they have to pretend to be twin sisters. But when they arrive, things just start getting weirder and weirder. First, they have to
Michelle
This was probably one of the fastest reads I’ve picked up in quite some time. A middle school book, Behind the Gates is the first in a series that is eerily similar in theme to Marsden’s Tomorrow series. Though much lighter on the violence (as of this book there wasn’t any yet) it is also about children surviving a war.

Set in an undisclosed time in the future, Behind the Gates centers around four girls who are taken from their affluent families and brought to a remote school. Though this school
Nancy
This is a different take on the usual high school theme. Four girls are sent to school in the future where the United States is at war with the Alliance. For their own safety, they surrender all electronic devices, jewelry, and even their personal identification bracelets. They are then trained in the fine arts of survival in the wild, archery, sharp shooting, canoeing, and occasionally English and other studies.

It's grueling. It's difficult. The roommates don't always like each other and they
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
The characters were very real to me but there wasn't really a plot through most of the book. It was obvious we are suppose to think the school is evil but it sounds like an amazing place, environmental, focusing on people and personal strength rather than technology. Phys Ed is constructive teaching the kids the kinds of thing they learn at outdoor camp. I also did t get a very good feel for the War and what was really happening in these girls lives before arriving here. But it was a decent read ...more
Selma
This book was okay. I was looking for an easy read, and this book caught my attention. However I felt like the characters were always complaining, and it got annoying. But I did like the overall plot of the book.

A terrible war has broken out, and Louisa's parents have enough money to send her and her best friend Mattie off to a boarding school, which is supposed to keep them safe.
Once there, all of the girls' electronics are confiscated, for their safety they're told. They meet their room mates
Michelle

I really enjoyed this middle grade dystopian focusing on four young teenage girls at a boarding school. Dystopian is the big thing right now and I'm excited to see it being written for the MG crowd as well. Tomorrow Girls is a fast, fun read that is perfect for the middle grade reader.

Eva Gray introduces the reader to a world that has been destroyed by war - a war that is still going on - and four girls that are sent to a boarding school by their parents. The main characters are Louisa and Maddi
Kait
Originally reviewed and posted on Victor's Village

We usually don't talk about much outside The Hunger Games, but when we were contacted to review a young adult dystopian book that might appeal to Hunger Games fans, we couldn't resist!

The book is Behind The Gates, the first book in Eva Gray's Tomorrow Girls series.

The story is told from the point-of-view of Louisa Ballinger, a 13-year-old girl who is sent to the Country Manor School with her best friend, Maddie. She's not sent there because she's
Kelsey
This was my first middle grade dystopian and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Eva Gray created a unique and frightening future, where no one is safe. In so many dystopian novels of late, the focus is on older teens and their experiences, but Behind the Gates focuses on four thirteen year olds. This was refreshing and made it all the more interesting. It also made me wonder- would I have been able to do the things they did at that age?

The novel opens when Louisa and her best friend Maddie are leaving to
Lisa is Busy Nerding
in a sentence or so: since the war started, things have been very different for everyone. for Louisa and Maddie, they're shipped off to a secluded boarding school that teaches them about responsibility, writing without computers, and survival.

Louisa and Maddie are best friends under the guise of being fraternal twins. in order to ensure they end up at the same school, Maddie's ID bracelet is tampered with and both girls end up at Country Manor School. as if getting up at 5:30 every day isn't bad
Cassidy
This books is about these for girls Louisa, Maddie, Roise, and Evelyn. This book is in Louisa's point of veiw. There are four books in the series and each book is about one of the girls. The theme of this book is these four girls are figuring out why before the war they have to leave and where they are leaving to and then when will they get to come home. They figure out they are on the boarder line of Canada at a camp called Country Manor School(CMS). Then the conflict is the four girls are on t ...more
D.M. Dutcher
It's half a book. Four young girls are bussed off to an exclusive private school in the Minnesota woods, and with the rest of their class, are taught things like wilderness survival and naturecraft. It's set in the backdrop of a mildly dystopian USA at war with a shadowy alliance. Of course, the school has more sinister plans.

Unfortunately, it ends just as a normal book would start. The book sets up the conflict, and not too well. The character's aren't bad, and neither are the details, but the
Kathy Martin
In this future the US is at war with the Alliance. The Alliance has almost completely conquered Canada and Louisa's parents send her from Chicago to Country Manor School to assure her safety. But CMS is a little strange. It is isolated and the girls there have no contact with the outside world. They spend a lot of time learning survival skills like canoeing, camping and shooting with a bow and arrow or .22. Louisa likes the school because she excels at these skills. However, at least one of her ...more
KWinks
I really liked this! Dystopian lit for tweens!! I know many Middle Grade girls who would love this series. It has a little bit of action, a little bit of friend drama, some survival skills, and more. I think this series will be popular.
I also love when characters in books read books. The books mentioned in this book are A Tale of Two Cities and Julie of the Wolves. This opens this book up as a great partner book for a tween book club or classroom read.
From the preview of the next book in the ga
Angela
Girls too young for the Hunger Games might give this preteen thriller a try. It didn't really hook me until then end, but I can see it being popular with the 9-11 year-olds who've been forbidden to dive into the brilliant brutality that this books YA counterparts offer.

For adults: 2 stars in the beginning, 3 stars at the end just in time for the next book (simultaneously releasing). Lack of stars more for the writing than the story/plot.
For kids: maybe 3-4 stars?

Yay! for the Chicago and Minneso
Jeff Raymond
This book is one of those that you appreciate more as you get toward the end of it. What starts out as a garden variety boarding school conspiracy tale ends up being a lot more once you get through to the end, and it ends up working well enough where I'll be actively seeking out book two.

The best part, for me at least, is that it's (finally) a different take on the whole dystopian rush we've been seeing as of late. Some nice government conspiracy (which doesn't occur enough in kids books) and so
LauraW
OK, high quality literature, this is not. But exciting and interesting it is. There is enough foreshadowing to make a forest, but still, somehow, the book grabbed me and kept me interested in reading further. I like the shifting and believable interactions between the characters.

But there is one thing that annoys me - these half-books (or part-books). The ending is such a cliff-hanger that it is hard to think that it really counts as a whole book. I suppose that means that they get to sell more
R
Jun 05, 2014 R rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
I was pleasantly surprised. I was just looking for something to keep me occupied until the book I had on hold was available at the library but I ended up really enjoying this book. Sure, the background of how the U.S. came to be in this war and what exactly is going on with that whole situation is vague, aside from references to the nefarious "Alliance," but it was still a fun read that I flew through in two days. I hope the next books in the series will flesh out the setting a bit more.

I really
Shayla
If you like Margaret Peterson Haddix's Shadow Children series, you'll like the Tomorrow Girls series. They are both set in the not so distant future in a world with a government that has questionable motives. Louisa is the narrator of the story and the first 2/3rds of the book is all set up in characters, settings, and relationships which is a little slow but not to bad. After the camping trip, the plot picks up and really leaves you with a cliff hanger. Luckily, the first two books come togethe ...more
Rivkah
Powerful wording for one thing. But it has a nice plot, some of it is guessable, some is not.

But if you were at a regular school, would it be normal to shoot rifles? To learn about poisoness plants? At the end of the book it all clicks.

It's sutiable for anyone, but paticularly young to teen age children.
Scott Freeman
This is a great middle-grade dystopian tale. It seems like this is the first in a four-part series that will come out every two months throughout 2011. I plan on giving it to my 10-year old to read. Perfect for that age group.
Edacheeky
★★★★☆

This book was surprisingly good. I just bought it for the sake of it for $7 and it was worth it!
I'd say it's for tweens not really teens but i was a tween when i read it and it is appropriate for that age group.
The other books in the series were pretty boring apart from Run for Cover - i didn't even read the last book.
But it was a good dystopian novel for the younger people. I'd recommend it to all tweens - teens idk it's a little too innocent to be a YA novel and it is too short to be on
Autumn
Apr 20, 2011 Autumn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Good kids' dystopian lit. It was age appropriate which is rare in MG/YA. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Leisa Pulliam
Great book for my classroom. Great ending! Now, I have to read the next one to find out what happens next!
Ebony
I actually thought I wasn't going to like it when my friend bought it for me, but boy was I wrong.
Mia
Technically 3.5 stars but they don't offer that. Okay at first the plot is a little hard to follow, but I got it more as it went along. A lot of what confused me was the fact that the book doesn't tell you the year. At first I was like "war, past" because I like historical fiction. But then it was like "jeans 500 bucks, ID bracelet, cellphone" so I was like "DITCH THAT IDEA. It's the future!" And another little part was the notebook(hahaha hi Nicholas Sparks" which was electronic but I took a wh ...more
Erin
"'Whether you accept the challenges that lie ahead or not, they will assuredly fall to you,'"

Okay, so for those kids who really wanted to read Hunger Games but who maybe aren't ready for the content/reading level, this book works. It's about some sort of war, and because of this war, children whose parents can afford it are sent away from the danger to a school in the wilderness where they learn outdoor survival skills. All of their electronics are taken away, and the school uses oil lamps to l
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Louisa and her best friend, Maddie, are off on a new adventure. At least, that’s how Louisa views it. Her parent’s wealth has bought her a place at the new boarding school called Country Manor. With Maddie posing as her twin sister instead of her best friend, the two girls are allowed to stay together. Nobody knows where Country Manor is and there is no communication allowed with family but nobody questions the governments stand that these rules will “keep you safe”.

Country Manor isn’t perfect o
  • Floodland
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Eye of the Storm
  • The Blending Time
  • The Limit
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • Epitaph Road
  • Neva
  • The Always War
  • Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Loch
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Reel Life Starring Us
  • All Good Children
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • The Billionaire's Curse (Billionaire, #1)
  • Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)
Eva Gray lives in Chicago and enjoys reading, cooking, and camping. Though she doesn't expect to need them in the near future, Eva keeps lots of extra batteries for her flashlight and a stock of canned food in her pantry.

More about Eva Gray...
Run for Cover (Tomorrow Girls #2) With the Enemy (Tomorrow Girls, #3) Set Me Free (Tomorrow Girls, #4) Tomorrow Girls Book Set (Tomorrow Girls, #1-3) Tomorrow Girls Set 1 (Tomorrow Girls, #1-2)