Robert's Rules of Writing

Robert's Rules of Writing

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  42 reviews
You already have a million writing books. You know the principles, the lectures, the "expert" techniques. And you've discovered that sometimes tried-and-true just equals tired.

In Robert's Rules of Writing, successful author Robert Masello stomps out status quo writing advice and delivers 101 uninhibited techniques to improve your writing that include: Burn your journal. (

Published February 22nd 2005 by F+W Media, Inc. (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Robert's Rules of Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert's Rules of Writing

Victor Tackett
This book got off to an extremely rocky start. The title is an automatic warning that this book is a specific writer's "rules for writing," however, he treats them, at least in the early chapters, as though they are the holy scripture of writing, and anyone who fails to follow them are douches.

I don't take kindly to that. Never have and never will. Perhaps I'm just a bit prickly. Either way, I stuck through the first chapters, taking everything with a huge dose of salt, and discovered that there...more
Mark
For over thirty years I have taught literature and composition with experience in high school, community college and the four year university. I have taught in the US and in Japan, and have taught in schools and hospitals. The more I teach, the more I realize how much there is yet to learn.

This little book of "rules" is light reading, yet within the 101 "rules" the author presents, are some helpful ideas for the writing teacher. This is the kind of book to read when time is short and when patien...more
Harry Roger Williams III
I gave this one five stars, "It was amazing," because it would have been so easy for this to be a disappointment. Instead, I looked forward to each new "lesson," each of which is its own "chapter." Masello is often tongue-in-cheek in how he conveys his lessons, but deadly serious in giving budding (and experienced) writers a wealth of options for making their work better. I found silly humor in the little slips of paper on the cover, with lesson numbers and bits of the lessons looking like a pag...more
Maria McKenzie
I'd highly recommend Roberts' Rules of Writing to anyone who's serious about writing. Robert Masello provides helpful rules to improve anything from fiction, non-fiction, screenplays, magazine/newspaper stories and more. It's worth reading and worth keeping!
Iris
This book is not just for professional writers, it's for everybody who wants to write. I love it. It helped me understand writing and whatnots. Great read. The book has humour!
Jonnah D.
Okay, there were some helpful tips in there. But give up Starbucks? Not in your lifetime or mine.
Joni Allison
Robert's Rules of Writing by Robert Masello lists and illuminates 101 (actually 102 because rules are meant to be broken) lessons writers, and readers for that matter, need to know. While the book is easy enough to be approachable for any writer/reader, it does contain numerous kernels of truth that I can see myself applying to my own writing, as well as sharing with my students. I love how his lessons could be applied to close and critical reading just as easily as they can be applied to writin...more
Henry
This is an excellent book for anybody interested in writing. I got it from a friend (she was probably tired of my grammar questions, but that's her fault...should have thought better before telling me she had a BA in English) It's fun to read, funny at times, but behind all that there is a lot of very useful information. The rules are sometimes basic, like "Say it Again Sam" which talks about how using "He said" is way better than writing "He grumbled/snarled/barked" and all those other things w...more
Ira Garcia
Masello had clearly stated what the reader should expect and not to expect at the first pages of the book. He assumed that the reader already knew the basic rules, logic and habits in writing and just needed a breather to remove himself from the orthodox pre-writing and publishing rituals. As an amateurish writer, I really found the book really useful and found some witty advice. Sure, it gave me a few chuckles while people at the train looked at me, distracted from whatsoever. It was written in...more
Mick Child
Loved it. Every writer, or prospective writer, should take a glance at it. Mr. Masello puts a lot of emphasis on dispelling writing myths and taboos in favor of clear and precise advice that will allow you to move past most of the issues modern fiction writers face at some time or another. The book reads easily and is laid out in a very simple format: each rule is its own chapter. You don't have to follow it in any particular order. Just open it up at any given page and read that rule. They're a...more
A.L. Sowards
I liked this book. 102 rules/chapters, and they all read pretty quickly—yet get their point across. I’ve heard most of the rules before, but not all of them. And he did a few awesome things, like said it’s OK to use adverbs if the right verb just doesn’t exists. Another favorite: tell, don’t show (as opposed to show, don’t tell). That sounds crazy, but his point is this: don’t show the boring stuff, just show the good stuff. He talks about different formats: novels, screenplays, magazine article...more
Rainboe Sims-Jones
Masello lists over one hundred “rules” guiding writers to experiment with different forms and strategies. He offers solemn advice from why talking about your work is a bad idea, to quirky advice suggesting burning freedom found in burning journals. The rules are presented in a fun, haphazard style making the rules, easy to understand and fun to follow. Robert's Rules is an easy one stop shop to help improve writing without getting caught up in the endless lectures typical of other instructional...more
Kristy G. Stewart
Jun 22, 2007 Kristy G. Stewart rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
Shelves: writing
It's nice to have a book where the author isn't trying to teach you how to write: he's trying to show you how he writes. Admittedly, he writes it in a "you need to do this" sort of style, but hey! It's funny and useful, and for any of you who have had me talk about using the word "said," you've already had a small sample of the book. His rules are short and sweet, and he gives you a lot of things to keep in mind while you're writing.
Amanda
I wouldn't call it "unorthodox," nor would I call it "unconventional." Many of his rules were old advice written in his voice, explained in his way, just like any creative writing teacher would have done. Some moments dragged, others were entertaining. If you're serious about writing, this book probably won't get you published. But, it might be just the read you need to help see old suggestions in a new way.
T'leah
This book is a must read for anyone who fancies themselves a writer! Masello uses his wit to lay down "the law." With every insightful thought comes something that will bring a smirk, a smile, a chuckle, and sometimes even a rolled eye. Regardless of which, they all signify that he is drilling into your brain. It is not only helpful, but enjoyable to read. I would rate this six stars if I had the option!
Shanna
Sep 10, 2011 Shanna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: struggling writers
This was a fantastic book about how to write without driving yourself bananas in the process. I really enjoyed the witty words Robert used to lure the reader to keep reading, and the advice was solid. I would recommend it to anybody who needs a push in the right direction or anybody who just got a little lsot along the way and needs to get back on track.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry!
Cristina
This book presents practical, real-life writing tips in an entertaining and informative way. It is geared toward the professional writer, but I found it enjoyable and helpful as an amateur. I recommend it to college students who are studying English or Creative Writing or otherwise want to write, whether academic papers, fiction, or otherwise.
Kathrese
I read this off and on over a few months. For me, it was more about keeping my head in the game than learning anything new. For that, it was very useful. The chapters are short like blog posts. Take what you can and leave the rest. As one reader discussed, Chapter 102 makes it clear that for every writer, there's a different set of rules.
Sharon
Jun 25, 2012 Sharon added it
This is a collection of 102 pieces of practical advice for writers. The "rules" are each a page or two long. This makes the book too disjointed to read for any stretch of time. Basically, it's a bathroom book for writers. Keep it somewhere you might pick it up and read for a few minutes, no more.
Anna
A helpful, easy to read guide for people who want to write or who call themselves writers. I couldn't recommend this book for serious writers - it's a bit too glib and basic. Rather I would suggest Gardner's "On Becoming a Novelist" or Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones."
Loretta
I found this book for $4.00 at Bargain Book Warehouse. While I may not agree with some of the "rules," I did find a lot of the information useful for different areas of writing. It now resides on my reference shelf, next to my beloved Gregg Reference Manual.
DS Grieco
Great advice for writers, especially new writer's like myself. Everyone who saw me with this book would assume I was reading yet another dull book on grammar. Not so. Robert Masello shares many tips and insights to aid a writer's success.
Bob Wasserman
This wasn't really what I thought it was going to be. Interesting on how to write (books, articles) but just couldn't get into it. And since it's not a school assignment.......buy bye. (Glad it was part of my <$5 Kindle purchases
Francesca
I thought I would hate this book... judging by the first rule: "Burn Your Journal"
But in the end, I really really liked it. Masello writes this book like an uncle who will tell you the brutal, honest truth, but still love you.
Vivian Archer
A great reference to flip open when you're in a moment of despair and in need of some practical and inspirational advice about writing. I highlighted like crazy so I could use quotes to push me when necessary.
Flaneurette
Finally a clearly written, non-waffling creative writing book. A book free of touchy touchy feely feely; the author shows why and how his rules work. One of the most useful books of its kind.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
This is downloadable in various formats for a short time - via Media Bistro's Galley Cat.
Ryk Stanton
This book purports to have 101 unconventional rules for writers, and it does (well, 102). Pretty good book, and interesting to see things from a different direction.
Steph Cruz
A very helpful book indeed especially for amateurs like me. Masello did a really creative spin on the over-published topic of how to break into the writing world.
Lynne
Fun, easy-to-read lessons on being a better writer. A good companion to the more serious writing books every aspiring writer ends up accumulating.
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Getting the Words Right
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Write Good or Die
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
Robert Masello is an award-winning journalist, TV writer, and the bestselling author of many novels and nonfiction books. His most recent thrillers include BLOOD AND ICE, THE MEDUSA AMULET, and THE ROMANOV CROSS, all published by Bantam/Random House.
He is also the author of two popular studies of the Occult -- FALLEN ANGELS AND SPIRITS OF THE DARK and RAISING HELL: A CONCISE HISTORY OF THE BLAC...more
More about Robert Masello...
Blood and Ice The Medusa Amulet The Romanov Cross Vigil Bestiary