Start by marking “Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)” as Want to Read:
Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)

Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Gideon Makepeace, a young man of twenty, knows who he is and what he likes: decency, men and women too, horse training, and fun... and in Livingston, Montana, in the lush autumn of 1895, he finds he likes a Lakota Sioux Indian better than he might ought to.

Jedediah Buffalo Bird is seriously wounded and seeking medical care, and Gideon helps Jed when some bigoted townsfolk
Published October 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Well Traveled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well Traveled

The Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkDowntime by Tamara AllenBound by Deception by Ava March
Best Gay Historical Romance
60th out of 510 books — 933 voters
The Tin Star by J.L. LangleyBareback by Chris OwenThe Broken H by J.L. LangleyTiming by Mary CalmesNatural Disaster by Chris Owen
Best Gay Cowboys
78th out of 299 books — 493 voters

More lists with this book...

Loved, loved so much! Even if you're not a fan of westerns or historicals read this book, it's absolute romance at it's best. I can't even express into words what a wonderful journey of self discovery and love. Gideon and Jedediah are wonderful together, perfectly matched with beautiful and special moments together "dreamy sigh". Highly Recommended for lovers of great writing and romantics at heart.
4 1/2 Stars - Well written and beautifully described about two men from different cultures who feel attraction, which slowly grows into friendship and maybe love.

Some romances are so much more than just a romance in which I get a beautiful love story. This is such a novel. It has everything. It's well written, it's filled with reflections on events and situations. It also reflects important social issues regarding discrimination against the U.S. people who were then called Indian's (Native Ameri
This was simply wonderful. There wasn’t one thing I didn’t love about it.

The relationships were real.
This issues were real.
The men were good men.
The banter was fun.
The setting played like a movie in my head.
The sex was hot.
The writing was superb.

What more could I want? Nothing. Really.

Set in the late 1800’s, Gideon Makepeace is about to head back to San Francisco to where his family is playing in a wild west show. On his way through town he finds Jedediah Buffalo Bird badly injured and in desp
I think I'll give this one a solid 4.25 stars!

The romance in this book was like a slow burn. I can't remember the last time I read a book quite like this. It's refreshing. The best way I can explain it is that the romance comes so slowly, inch by inch, and you feel it every step of the way.

The plot was amazing. After the first chapter or two I kind of predicted this book going one way where I'd decided in my mind that "this" would happen and then they'd face "this" together and they'd overcome
A hell of a surprise. One of those books that I can't understand why it's not more popular. Has a terrific sense of place and the two leads are solidly fleshed out. The sex is hot, the story logical and realistic for the time it's set in, and it's somewhat of a longer read. Again, why haven't more people read this?

An adorable `odd-couple` on a journey from Montana to San Francisco in 1895.
A funny,sexy and heartwarming lovestory in a vividly described setting - without dismissing
the harsh reality for Indians and Gays alike.The perfect book for frosty winternights.
Definitely recommended!
This ‘old’ book (hey, it was released in 2010 – for MM romance genre, I considered it old *ha!*) came into my periphery by way of a personal challenge. Back in January, I did a personal reading challenge with MM historical as the theme. This was one that I listed because of the positive reviews of my friends. I didn’t get the chance to read it back in January but it stayed on my list.

Well, I finally read it and it was a really well-written and wonderful book!! I admit, the beginning was rather s
4.5-A tiny bit slow for me in a couple of spots, rounded up for overall great story-telling.

What a wonderful, believable journey. I certainly felt transported to another time and place and once there I wasn't jolted out by nonsense. Young, charming, delightful, sometimes manipulative Gideon commanded my attention from the very beginning. Gideon alone was worth reading this book for although it didn't take long for Jedediah to worm himself in there too and just about every other character played
We first meet Gideon Makepeace when he’s getting ready to leave Livingston, Montana where he had taken up a summer job training horses. Gideon is bound for San Francisco to reunite with his folks who are members of a big traveling “Wild West” show. Enter halfbreed Lakota Jedediah Buffalo Bird, currently a fatally injured man who is bullied by a band of white Livingstonians who don’t want his kind in their town. Without hesitating, Gideon steps in to save the Indian, takes him to the doctor’s and ...more
This story is very different from anything else I've read in the m/m romance genre, but I loved it so much. The characters are incredibly well-drawn, and the authors create a wonderful sense of time and place without bludgeoning the reader with too much historical detail. The story manages to be moving and erotic while maintaining a sort of lovely economy of language that feels utterly authentic. Highly recommended. I'll be rereading this for sure.
Sweet m/m love story of 20 year old Gideon, a wild west show employee and Jed, a half-breed Lakota Indian crossing America from Montana to San Francisco with subsequent adventures.

"I know you'll be turning around and going home, after. But don't slip off, okay? Don't slip off when I'm expecting to see you in the morning. I think it'd break my heart."
Nov 07, 2010 Shell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shell by: Michele& Jeff Book Reviews Reviews
Shelves: favorites
Becky Condit
Best historical erotic western (m/m) I've ever read. Bar none. I was so sad to end the story of Gideon Makepeace and Jedidiah Buffalo Bird because I love these characters so much. There is a novella sequel and I'll read it, too. Set in 1895, just at the end of the Old West, it is a sweet, heart-breaking, little bit funny trip from the mid-west to California on foot and horseback. Gideon is a trick rider from a Wild West Show, trying to catch up with the touring show after stopping in Montana to ...more
I really loved this book. It's very well-written and felt authentic. The characters were well-fleshed out. I love Jed and Gideon and I enjoyed their journey. Recommended!

Stacey Jo
This book was WONDERFUL and deserves more than the 5 stars alloted! It was so well-written. It's the story that takes place back in the late 1800's between Gideon Makepeace and Jedediah Buffalo Bird. Gideon and his family are with a traveling wild west show, but Gideon has taken some time away to go and train a man's horses on his ranch. Now that the work is done, Gideon and his horse Star, are about to head out on the train back to San Francisco to catch back up with his family and the show. Be ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Nov 12, 2013 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: romanceandcoffee
My friends all seem to use the word wonderful to describe this story and I have to agree. It was a story, and the author's voice was that of a storyteller. I enjoyed this tale which seems to take place mid-19th century. Gideon Makepeace is planning to travel to San Francisco to meet up with his parents and extended family/co-workers in their traveling wild west show. On the day he's planning to leave, he discovers an injured young Indian being bullied by townfolk and he intervenes in time to get ...more
Kade Boehme
Fabulous. Long as hell, but fabulous.
I don't care for historical westerns.
I really don't care for road-trip stories.

But. I enjoyed the hell out of this book. The clever writing, banter, the relationship that felt so real, the heroes who were just plain good men.. I fell in love with Gideon & Jed and their integrity..the fact that they really liked and respected each other.

4 Feel-Good stars.

I absolutely loved this book.I could've kept on reading about Gideon and Jed without ever getting bored.Gideon was a sweetheart and after I finished the book my biggest wish was that there would be one that told the story from Jed's point of view because I really really wanted to know what he thought...he's mysterious right to the end.5 stars and it goes to my favorites !
I'm so pleasantly surprised with this one! It was a February BOM Comfort pick-for-me, and I want to say thank you to Susan A., as I wouldn't have picked it on my own.

This story kind of snuck up on me in a sort of meandering way. Like a slow, beautiful walk through the trees with sunshine streaming through. .. This story gives a very insightful glimpse into what it might have been like for the Lakota/Sioux, and had me laughing with Jed's quiet since of humor, as well as Gideon's chattering, and a
**4 Stars**

Loved it! Jedediah and Gideon own a little piece of my heart. And if you love the "wild west" period in American history this will be a comfort read for you. Now ... if I could only get my hands on book 2.
Understated and quite lovely.
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
5 Stars - KAPOW!

The romance that builds between Gideon and Jedediah was at times heartwarming and at other times heartbreaking. I thought the journey from knowing the difference between pleasure and love was beautiful. It was gradual and revealed in small but significant increments.

I love westerns but I am not always a fan of historical novels. This one although dealing with prejudices was not preachy and the love story between Gideon and Jedediah was the focal point. I thoroughly enjoyed this n
Jul 31, 2015 Xing marked it as dnf
I'm not going to give a rating to Well Traveled. The writing is superb, and both Jed and Gideon were wonderful characters to get to know. Unfortunately, and probably through fault of my hormones and the synaptic connections in my brain, I just couldn't really get into the story. Objectively, the story was fine. There were some heart felt and sad moments. But maybe I just wasn't in the right state of mind for the setting and type of story presented in Well Traveled. Either way, I don't think it w ...more
Somehow, this seemed to really drag on. I kept expecting it to end and checking the progress and getting weirded out when I wasn't even halfway yet.

Also, the emphasis on sex was really weird? Like, I dunno how to articulate it, but it just seemed a bit forced, like AND BY THE WAY, HERE'S SOME SEXUAL TENSION TO UNDERSCORE THAT THIS IS AN M/M BOOK ABOUT GAY STUFF.

So yeah, because of that, some of the sex stuff was kind of weird.

Also, there are bizarre inconsistencies, like the author saying Gideo
My father is a huge fan of John Wayne, and as such, I grew up on westerns and have always enjoyed them. In that respect, Gideon and Jed's story definitely fulfilled many dreams and wishes. The story was believable in every facet. I also really liked that the story took it's time, the pace set matches equally with the pace set by Jed and Gideon, and never once does it sway. I enjoyed watching their tentative (on Jed's part) friendship grow into, again, a tentative (on both) relationship.
It took me awhile to figure out my rating for this book. Well Traveled is a very quiet and subtle book. It slowly grew on me and hooked me in the end. That was why it was initially hard to rate. I wasn't sure the beginning half offered me enough, but after thinking about the book, it did in the end. The book was a journey that may not have been mysterious or action packed, but reflective of friendship and love.
3.5 really.
It's a very light and fluffily read; thoroughly enjoyable.
It will definitely transport you back to the Wild West and both MCs are very likable.
The only problem is that one of them (Jed) is not really fleshed out despite all the background we get on him and the other (Gideon) is just a bit too "awe shucks" for my liking.
Still, it's sweet little story which gains some gravitas towards the end.
This one took me almost a month to finish. Not because the writing was bad--quite the opposite. The characters were fleshed out and engaging and the writing was smooth and easy to follow. The story just didn't grip me the way more contemporary novels do. Very predictable story line but still enjoyable enough to finish.
  • According To Hoyle
  • The Station
  • The Nobleman and the Spy
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • One More Soldier
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • Greenwode (The Wode, #1)
  • On the Trail to Moonlight Gulch
  • The Place Where They Cried
  • Brethren (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Skybound
  • Think of England
Margaret Mills is a professional technical writer and editor; branching into narrative fiction seemed like a natural extension of the pleasure that writing has always been for her. A California resident, Maggie enjoys hiking in the nearby hills, reading, walking the dog on the beach, and writing with her co-author, Tedi Ward. Maggie met Tedi in a writers' group, and their personalities mix almost ...more
More about Margaret Mills...

Gideon and Jedediah (2 books)
  • Earth and Sun, Cedar and Sage (Gideon and Jedediah, #2)