Winds of Autumn (Seasons Of The Heart, #2)

Winds of Autumn (Seasons of the Heart #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,048 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Seasons of the Heart Book 2.

Readers will laugh and cry as they follow the story of Josh Jones, an orphan growing up during the Great Depression. Eighteen-year-old Auntie Lou is the only mother Josh has ever known. When his grandfather and uncle start talking about finding a husband for his aunt, he knows something has to be done! As he grows to manhood through disappointm...more
Published 1987 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Winds of Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winds of Autumn

H
I liked this book about as well as the first one. Josh is still as enjoyable and relatable as ever. We get to see him have his first crush, and then see how he deals with questions and thoughts that really question his faith and what he believes. I like how this book portrays the importance of family and good friends--not just good like loyal, but good like they have good principles and share your beliefs and standards--and how both can help you stand strong to what you believe and are always th...more
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
The whole town is surprised when the school teacher up and leaves to get married -- in the middle of the school year! With this unexpected break from studies, 15 year old Josh and his friends decide this would be a great time to take a hiking and camping trip...but their trip doesn't turn out exactly as they planned!

After a few weeks, a new teacher is located and classes once again resume. With the new teacher comes a new student (the teacher's attractive daughter), Camelia, and immediately all...more
Meita
Buku ini adalah seri kedua dari The Season of Heart. Seri yang paertama berjudul once upon in Summer. Di buku The Winds of Autumn ini, Josh pindah bersama dengan bibi Lou dan paman Nat ke kota untuk bersekolah di sana pulalah dinamika kehidupannya terjadi lagi. Dan bagaimana dia bisa berfikir tentang mempertentangkan Tuhan dengan kejadian kejadian yang dialaminya, serta pelajaran pelajaran yang didapatnya dari guru barunya. Tapi pada akhirnya dia tau, Tuhan ada bersamanya. Semua yang terjadi dal...more
Janiece
I enjoyed this book even more than the first one in this series. They are simple books, but wholesome and uplifting. The themes where faith in God, education, family, friendship, forgiveness, community, letting go and turning your life over to God. As Josh continues to grow up and have the experiences that life brings, he struggles to understand why God requires and allows certain things of his children, how to deal with the betrayal of a friend, his first love and what is truth. His new teacher...more
Allan67
The wife and I liked the book. Josh learns some good, hard lessons. The last three chapters are good Bible lessons. I sure hated the ending, but it was effective. Read the book and see if you don't agree.
Becky
I listened to the audiobook and did like the characters as much as I did the first in the series. I was disappointed that the themes didn't get more complex though. It still focused on whether or not the main character, Josh, had true faith in God. The author added some complexity when she brought in the teacher who taught evolution. But it seemed that evolution was either good or bad. You were either a Christian or an evolutionist. There was no room in the book for anyone who believed both. In...more
Elaine
Josh tells the story of his youth and the struggles he faces growing up. (What a bland description! )
Heather
It was a very good book with good twists and turns.
Janet Wilcox
Kind of a young adult, old fashioned book, in the genre of Little House on the Prairie, but I really liked it. The conflict between the protagonist and his mentor/teacher replicated discussions held thousands of times over regarding evolution vs. creationism-Christianity. Would be very good for a family to read or listen to together. I enjoy stories set in the late 1800's on the western frontier. I was born in the wrong era I guess. Listened to audio tape from Blanding library.
Annalisa
This book continues with Josh now living during the week in town with his Aunt Lou and Uncle Nat while he continues his education and living on the farm over the weekends. His new teacher and the teacher's beautiful daughter taking a liking to Josh and introduce him to the theory of evolution. Josh finds himself struggling between what is being taught and what he knows and feels to be the truth. Gramps is very inspirational in this story but sadly will not continue into the next.
Pewterbreath
I often read what my mother was reading at the time. My mother really loved Janette Oke--she's the sort of writer that Christian ladies used to read instead of romance novels. It's thoroughly average writing (though this woman can crank 'em out). I certainly am not going to review every one of these things I've read--b/c I find it all the books to be rather samey. I have to say--other than a salvation scene every now and then (and a moral here and there), they're pretty harmless.
F
Novel spends 12 months with fifteen-year-old Josh Jones. I was disappointed that novel had no well developed storyline / plot. However, I enjoyed the characterization of Old Sam, the town drunk, and how Josh's Uncle Nat (town pastor) was persistent in seeing that Old Sam was taken care of. I also thought Josh's great-grandfather (aka Gramps) did a marvelous job of helping Josh analyze the Darwin theory of evolution in Chapter 17.
Shannon
Jun 28, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults who like religious romance
As Joshua is still struggling with his relation with God he enter town school and find even more confussion about the place of God in his life. The teacher is teaching evolution and his lovely daughter who Joshua is falling in love with want him to realize that it wass childish to believe in God. Following even more lose in his family, Joshua need to deside what he does believe.
Breena
i love the eloquence Oke uses in expressing the bitterness and doubts of the young boy. Many people experience hurt that turns to anger. I think that the show of faith and really good peer pressure is when his good friend tells him that he needs to pray and repent. "Me? But I'm not the one..." What a typical argument.
Well written. My kind of story. Loved it!
Shirley
Just a simple christian story about growing up on a farm in the early 1900s.
Rosemary Markham
I love Janette Oke books. In this book Josh has his faith tested as he grows up. But first he enjoys a fun camp-out with his buddies. He even learned important life lessons during the camp-out. The author makes you laugh or cry and teach you important lessons at the same time without being preachy.
Tracy L.
This was an awesome sequel to the story. The continuing story of a young woman that found her husband by her father, grandfather, and uncle. She treats her nephew as her own son. They are close in age, and have both lost ther mothers at young ages. It's a story of love, and of life's choices we make.
Jessica
I was certainly skeptical when I read the first book of this series, but I am so glad I stuck with it! I loved the second book. I am glad to be following Josh's story, especially as he grows older. I hope the next two are as good as this one! Certainly another easy read!
Deidre
Simply Amazing!!!!

Janette Oke has a simple way with writing that makes you feel everything.
I cried through a lot of this story.

I love it when a book can make me smile, laugh, cry right along with the characters!
Cara
Josh is starting to grow up. He is interested in a girl, while at the same time struggling with his faith when tragedy strikes. The girl and her family don't believe in God, and Josh needs to figure out how that effects him.
 Pat
I seem to be drawn to books dealing with relationships, but I thoroughly enjoy them. Josh had some major decisions to make as a young boy and I am touched by how he dealt with the hard blows of life.
Terri
May 20, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was my favorite(until i got to number 4) for so many reasons. Iread it in 2 days and when I had spare moments of thought it would come back to my mind wanting to know more of the story.
L.
Mar 10, 2010 L. rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Boys
I love Janette Oke but I just could not get into these books. I think it's because it was from a boy's perspective. I just could not put myself in his shoes or relate to him in any way.
Rishi
This one was pretty good. I like the boy's perspective. She is just sounding so much the same in many of her books. Her characters do the same thing.

But you still want to find out how.
Bethany
Super good read. It was not quite as light as the first one, but it was still rather positive despite all the confusion and grief. It really sent me to thinking about God's ways.
Kassie
The continuation of the story of Josh and Aunt Lou and their loved ones. This one was tough for me, with the loss of a baby in it. Again, I was anxious to move to the next book.
Suzi
I love this series the librarian told me they were really popular right now and I read this one in one day! I loved it, and now I am on to the next one in the series.
Ruth
Very male heavy w/ the first sign of more romance to come in the series for a girl. Highly recommended for motherless boys. Great Values throughout.
Edy Gies
I remember being incredibly connected with this story. Very moving and uplifting and I would recommend the series.
carrie
This was even better than the first, and tackled some difficult subjects. These books are just sweet and relaxing.
  • A Gathering of Memories
  • A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River, #1)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Daughter Of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister #2)
  • The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow)
  • These Tangled Threads (Bells of Lowell, #3)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall (Shiloh Legacy #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year...more
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly #4)