Start by marking “Tesseracts Eleven: Amazing Canadian Speculative Fiction” as Want to Read:
Tesseracts Eleven: Amazing Canadian Speculative Fiction

Tesseracts Eleven: Amazing Canadian Speculative Fiction (Tesseracts #11)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Twenty-four of the best new stories and poems by neophyte and established Canadian science fiction authors are presented in this seminal anthology which has entered its third decade of existence. Edited by award-winning authors Cory Doctorow and Holly Phillips, Tesseracts Eleven showcases the very best in Canadian speculative fiction literature (including English translati...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Edge (first published October 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Tesseracts Eleven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tesseracts Eleven

Paul
Here is another compendium of new fantasy and science fiction stories from north of the border (in Canada).

A mother, her teenage son, and two younger daughters seem to be the only survivors of a plague that has ravaged North America (Dad was not so lucky). Now the mother and son are faced with the difficult task of replenishing the population. A pair of high school students experiment with what looks like Michael Jackson’s glove. It can create portals in time, but the catch is that the portals o...more
Nick
A good compilation. Nothing mind-blowing, but good. I recommend you focus on the following:

- 'The Recorded Testimony of Eric and Julie Francis'
- 'The Azure Sky'
- 'Persephone's Library'
- 'If Giants are Thunder' -- (probably my favourite, and not coincidentally the most like classic fantasy)
- 'Phoebus 'Gins Arise'
- 'Bear with Me'
- 'Citius, Altius, Fortius'
- 'The Object of Worship'
- 'Language of the Night'

Marilyn
I particularly loved "Tofino" by Andrew Gray and "If Giants are Thunder" by Steven Mills. Other great stuff includes Kate Reidel's "Phoebus 'Gins Arise" and Jerome Stueart's "Bear With Me. And "Vampires of the Rockies" by Randy McCharles was just plain fun. :)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others I enjoyed, but really it's all good stuff. An all around solid collection of spec fiction.
Brice
No stellar stories. I got done and thought - huh, if that's representative of Canadian fiction I'm not interested. That's a shame, since there's tons of great Canadian fiction. Doctorow writes great, but apparently falls short as an editor.
Nicole
I liked this collection for the most part, but I found it a bit uneven. I'm not sure if I'd read the collection again, at least not all of it, but I did find out about several newer authors whose work I'll be looking for in the future.
Brad Howland
I couldn't quite finish this book. It was somewhat interesting at first, but the stories quickly became tedious (and inane), so I packed it in.
Georgina
wildly divergent shorts of sf/fantasy fantastic writing
Ariel
Man, I could write this stuff. Sign me up!
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Christine Hart
Christine Hart marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jennifer Perguson
Jennifer Perguson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Aru
Aru marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
JP
JP marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Valya Lupescu
Valya Lupescu marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Canadian blogger, journalist and science fiction author who serves as co-editor of the blog Boing Boing.

He is an activist in favor of liberalizing copyright laws and a proponent of the Creative Commons organization, using some of their licenses for his books.

Some common themes of his work include digital rights management, file sharing, Disney, and post-scarcity economics.

More about Cory Doctorow...
Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom For the Win Makers Homeland (Little Brother, #2)