Lost in the Funhouse: The Life and Mind of Andy Kaufman

Lost in the Funhouse: The Life and Mind of Andy Kaufman

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From renowned journalist Bill Zehme, author of the New York Times bestselling The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin', comes the first full-fledged biography and the only complete story of the late comic genius Andy Kaufman. Based on six years of research, Andy's own unpublished, never-before-seen writings, and hundreds of interviews with family...more
Published November 4th 2009 by Delta (first published 1999)

David
biographies are generally straight forward research bits. not so much here. takes a while to get inside the voice, but he genuinely tries to get as close to kaufman's head as possible. makes kaufman an interesting construct, allows you to hate and love him, shifts time forward and backward to the point where you're not sure where you are in the timeline...and ultimately i shed some subway tears as he recounted his death.

still leaves me with questions: how did people not like tony clifton (brill...more
Dustin Reade
Awesome bio. Unlike other bios, which usually read like lists of accomplishments, this one utilizes a unique style, which flips from strangely poetic, to somewht remorseful, to the calm, detached voice of journalism. Great descriptions of Andy's early career, and some interesting stories about the birth of his most memorable material. A great book and a must for anyone fascinated with this incredible artist.
Ron
I used to sometimes wonder whether Andy Kaufman was truly crazy, or if some part was really just an act. Its nice to have closure on this little nagging question.
Carlos Aguirre
Interesting tale and interestingly told about a very eccentric man. I never saw Man on the Moon and never wanted to. I'm not a Jim Carrey fan at all and would rather watch clips of Andy himself rather than watch someone try to ape him, which is impossible and unnecessary. Once again, clips of the man are out there on the Internet and elsewhere. Anyway, for anyone that wants to get a glimpse of the mind behind the madness, this seems to be the path to "enlightenment". Enlightenment being somethin...more
Phil
Jan 04, 2008 Phil rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the absurd
Bill Zehme does an amazing job of using form to enhance meaning in this simultaneously hilarious and sobering biography. He adopts different Kaufman personae/speech patterns to help tell the story, which helps the reader connect with Andy's scattered head space.

I was only marginally familiar with AK's work prior to reading this, but I was frequently laughing out loud regardless. And it led me to a bit of an Andy Kaufman obsession--the day after I finished the book I spent several hours scouring...more
Tabitha
Generally when I read a biography, I feel a little distance from the subject of the book, perhaps a little coldness as I watch their life replayed for me. This book wasn't even remotely like that. I was thrilled when after the first few pages I could hear Andy Kaufman describing his life.
It's a really odd style choice, to write with the mannerisms of your subject, but constantly remind your audience that you're not him. I'm not sure too many authors/biographers could pull it off, but Bill Zehme...more
Rebecca
Written from Kaufman's point of view, I was brought into his world, from childhood to his death. Though we may never totally understand what he did, I have a better understanding of his artistic progression and what made him get into certain areas (the wrestling thing is obvious to me!). He was a trickster in a way, and a lunatic to be sure, but I admire his commitment to being himself behind many many layers of characters and insanity. Brilliant.
Nicole Cushing
The best thing about Zehme's book is its encyclopedic level of detail. While that got a little tiresome in the early going (I could have used LESS detail about Andy's childhood), it was an approach that really worked well once it got into Andy's career.

The author takes a "creative nonfiction" stylistic tone that wears a little thin in places, but it doesn't detract much from my overall opinion of this book as the go-to resource for all things Andy.
Joshua
Andy Kaufman is one of my heroes. I absolutely loved him when he was alive and still cherish his zany ways. In a perfect world I think he's still out there, pulling a death hoax on us ...this book makes me dream that dream even moreso as it tells the life of Kaufman more even handed and less bias that the Zmuda biography that is also out there...this is the better of the two Kaufman biographies.
Jay Wigley
Such a joy--Bill Zehme amazingly writes in what you'd imagine would be the style of Andy Kaufman, if Andy could connect a pen directly to his brain. This is what a biography should be--thoroughly researched, based on evidence and interviews and scene-setting for the distant past. You'll love it if you are interested at all in 1970's television and comedy culture in the United States.
Cwn_annwn_13
This was an entertaining bio of Andy Kaufman although I think some of what made it into this book is probably a figment of the authors imagination because I don't think even those who were closest to Kaufman really knew what was going on inside his head. Fun to read, great stuff about Kaufmans legendary bizarre work, life and habits. Kaufman was a true original.
Tom
Must read for any Andy Kaufman fan of the most extreme unique humor. As his 2nd personality Tony Clifton during a live performance would warn an old lady as he stood next to hear at her dinner table at his show and say she sat in cottage cheese to only correct himself immediately after by saying it was her ass instead. Andy Kaufman was the King of insults.
Robert
Nov 08, 2007 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Andy Kaufman, and people who like crazies
Nothing else to say. He was very much crazy and very much a sex addict. He was funny for a while, then he started screwing with peoples minds. Didn't know there was so much information about Kaufman. Recommended for anyone who liked Andy Kaufman, but didn't like Man on the Moon at all.
Richard
An offbeat book about an offbeat guy, but pretty interesting and entertaining, especially for those who are old enough to remember Andy Kaufman's odd career. The first couple of chapters are a little too quirky for my taste. Stick with it, though. It gets better.
Vittorio
Andy was not a mere comedian but a brilliant performance artist. The book adds some insight into his psyche and recounts some of his monumental Keith Moon worthy pranks. Man on the Moon is also worth seeing.
Nathan
the style of this book is a little annoying at first but it's ok once you get used to it, and it's very good to read about Andy Kaufman's life because he was an important artist and a genius.
Shawn  Perry
A biography of the late actor/comedian/performance artist Andy Kaufman. Funny, scary, and moving. If this weren't true there's no way anyone would believe that any of it had actually happened.
Beth
The perfect Andy Kaufman reader. It was disjointed, zany and full of weird and useless information. I loved it, being the enormous AK fan that I am. Not for the faint of heart, or short of temper.
Mcd74
A great overview but not the easiest/smoothest of reads for a biog, the insights into to Tony Clifton (alter ego) could have been more elaborated. But a must for any Kaufman fan.
Marie
That this book has stuck in my mind for the years since reading it is testament to how interesting it was to me. What a misunderstood genius you were, Andy Kaufman.
TrumanCoyote
The New Journalism approach got a bit wearing after a while.
Meri
This man was such a fascinating person. Great bio.
Andrew
I can't remember anything about this book
Christian Huxley
Christian Huxley marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
John
John added it
Jul 13, 2014
Tero
Tero marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Andy Kaufman Revealed!: Best Friend Tells All
  • Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution
  • American Scream: The Bill Hicks Story
  • Wired: The Short Life and Fast Times of John Belushi
  • Chaplin
  • Love All the People: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
  • Roger Ebert's Book of Film: From Tolstoy to Tarantino, the Finest Writing from a Century of Film
  • Saturday Night: A Backstage History of Saturday Night Live
  • Savage Art: A Biography of Jim Thompson
  • Woody Allen: A Biography
  • Bigger than Hitler – Better than Christ
  • How to Talk Dirty and Influence People
The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin' Intimate Strangers: Comic Profiles and Indiscretions of the Very Famous The Rolling Stone Book of Comedy Carson the Magnificent: An Intimate Portrait Hef's Little Black Book