Early Irish Myths and Sagas

Early Irish Myths and Sagas

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  29 reviews
First written down in the eighth century AD, these early Irish stories depict a far older world - part myth, part legend and part history. Rich with magic and achingly beautiful, they speak of a land of heroic battles, intense love and warrior ideals, in which the otherworld is explored and men mingle freely with the gods.
Published March 25th 1982 by Penguin Classics (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Early Irish Myths and Sagas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Irish Myths and Sagas

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyThe Odyssey by HomerJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Penguin Classics
80th out of 277 books — 38 voters
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtIn the Woods by Tana FrenchThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeUlysses by James JoyceDubliners by James Joyce
Best Irish Books
146th out of 361 books — 330 voters

More lists with this book...

Lada
Collection of myths from early Christian era, impregnated with pagan myths. Essential for those who research into the myth, orality in the dawn of Western civilisation, and Indoeuropean culture, their religion, their beliefs.
There is this marvellous tension between the reality and fantasy, which is not accidental to literary transmission but but is characterisic of Celts.The universe of these stories is striking. The images are so powerful, so lively, brimming full of Irish imagination.For examp...more
Hadrian
A collection of loosely-organized myths with barely any continuity, long segments of genealogy and repetition like the slow parts of the Odyssey.

Yet even in these rough fragments, there are still fragments of storytelling genius. There are segments about rolling heads and noble warriors that would fit in well with the The Prose Edda, there are comic scenes of drunkenness, there is a burdened hero, Cú Chulaind, like Hercules, there is even real love and heartbreak.

The notes and introduction were...more
Andrada
I was a bit frustrated with this book due to the way it was translated. I’m not sure what the translation conventions are concerning old Irish texts, but I feel like a lot more could have been done for the flow of the text as well as its explanation. The phrasing of the dialogue was backwards, some of the expressions were hard to understand and a lot of the content was conflicting, especially where different variants of the story existed as well as missing segments. I feel like the translator co...more
Pedro
A great book ! Gantz is able to select some of the most interesting Early Irish texts and stories and present them in a very clear way all translated into English.
The only thing I miss from this book is sometimes that it could have more references and information about the texts - that would be useful specially for academics who wants to use the early Irish texts as historical sources.
In spite of that, it's a nice book and you're really able to have a good contact with early Irish world.
Grania
Feck, those Irish legend lads. Jealousy, cheating, double-crossing, land grabbing, and incest. Throw in a few dodgy planning deals, and the place has hardly changed.
Tim
Nov 21, 2007 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like history
Shelves: irish-mythology
This book is a book of myths and sagas that were handed down threw many generations of the Irish. I would recomend to those who can handle reading dry and repitious books. It has color, character and a unique perspective at times, and gives an idea of how the Irish came to be who they are. However, it can be like reading The Silmirilion by Tolkien. The lists of things, names and events spirals out of control at times and gets confusing and boring.
Angela Joyce
Mar 30, 2010 Angela Joyce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jason Lee Norman, Donal Keady
Crammed with soaring severed heads, spilling entrails, and tough guys who growl, "You do not rule me. Clouds of blood will come to you" everytime they hear a warning they don't like, this is enough to convince anyone that it ain't all faeries and Guinness over here...
Brent
A decent collection, although more material from the Mythological and Fenian Cycles should have been included.
Mariele
It is hard to rate a book like this. If I say I did not like it I am talking about its entertainment factor, not the cultural meaning of these tales or the fact that the oral tradition has a completely different approach of addressing its audience. I am deeply in awe of the fact that these stories have survived the test of time and have been restored. Who knows, some of them might have been first told many thousands of years ago. To have these stories with us today is a gift that can't be praise...more
Paul
I picked up this book to get a cheap and fast introduction to the early Irish story cycles, and it delivered adequately. As the translator notes, the stories included here are only a small selection, but they do help to fill in some gaps - especially if, like me, you keep seeing references to tales like "The Destruction of Da Derga's Hostel" and "Bricriu's Feast" in other readings.

It should be said that this literature is not as instantly accessible as, say, Beowulf or the Odyssey - at least I...more
Phillip
I only read about 4-5 of the stories from this book. Some of them were quite good, but then others didn't seem to have any coherence. Structurally it was quite obvious that they were intended to be oral stories rather than written down because they have a lot of repetition (see "The Intoxication of the Ulaid," where a druid and a king go through a lengthy list of warriors and court members identifying each one using the same set of introductory phrases each time).

In comparison to the Mabinogion...more
Juli D.
I very much enjoyed most of the stories herein and found it a good introduction to the Ulster Cycle stories.

However, I can see how some might see the stories as dull or frustrating. When I read them (past and present) I don't tend to read for entertainment value so much as the educational factor, the brain power it takes to thread the stories together, especially when you're talking of the more fragmentary texts. Not to mention the imagination it inspires--what did the people who wrote these sto...more
Dan
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I hoped I would. Part of it is my ignorance of the characters. Cu Chulain was the only one I had heard of so for most of the stories I had no clue who anyone was. I know Greek and Latin myth well enough to know who everyone is so I just expected to be able to follow these stories. If I read this again I might try to make a list of who is who.
The other problem I had is that some of the longest stories were mostly spent describing what the characters looked lik...more
Raelene
Irish legends are nothing like you'd expect. The heroes are larger-than-life but also deeply human and flawed. Importantly, Ireland's ancient heritage is the only Western tradition not filtered through the Roman empire and its attendant heroes, and there are thus no correlations between Irish heroes and Greek/Roman counterparts. The stories are fabulously complicated and endlessly intriguing. Though I tend to prefer Lady Gregory's more fanciful re-tellings of these Irish myths and legends, this...more
Geneva
Interesting, and I think my problems with this book were not the book's fault so much as a general problem with trying to compile written fragments of what was largely an oral tradition. The stories were often fragmented or repetitive, but the editor always explained that it was because this one was compiled from a few different fragments, or that one was incomplete, or the other one was probably an earlier version of another one. Probably a better book for scholars than for someone just looking...more
Ann Nicgorski
The stories are awesome, but a more user friendly translation is desired. A glossary and index too. Ideally a website with audio files for pronunciation help among other things...
It was interesting to read myths and stories created by someone other than the Greek traditions we learned about in elementary/high school. These are also much more casual stories than other medieval literature. Very well written considering the translation difficulties. I've read other translations and this one seems to be more realistic of the time rather than adapted to current time.
Shannon Winward
high entertainment

I've been reading Early Irish Myths and Sagas, a collection of - well. Early Irish myths. And sagas.

The stories are at once tedious, confusing, romantic, and humorous. They do go on and on sometimes, but buried in the long and cumbersome narratives there are little bits of gold.

(8/9/09)
Jill
Very interesting to read and learn more early Irish literature, but it was a bit slow. The Irish are known for their stories and the rich detail, but the tales are dense, so they had to be read slowly, bits at a time. My third Classics Club book finished!
Ancestral Gael
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection of tales from Irish Myths as put together by Jeffrey Gantz. I found the introductions really helpful, too.
Maria
Interesting if you want to read some of the more obscure sources for Yeats' poetry and drama. The translation is probably more "accurate" than some others, but I prefer the poetic artistry of Kinsella.
Liina
A thoroughly enjoyable read, I especially enjoyed the unconventional syntax of the English translation. Very fun, very educative!
CJSilvie
Not the best translation but the main issue is how they pale in comparison to the Norse myths and Icelandic sagas
Dana
As with The Mabinogion, readers will find much magic and and enjoyment in these ancient Irish stories.
Norris Eppes
These myths get very good towards the end of the book. The last two are stunning.
Adrian
I have only read a part of it...do have to finish it some day!
Eric
Very fine version of the Ulster Cycle and other early Irish myths.
Roger
Tedious and dull presentation of Irish mythology.
John
Aug 23, 2007 John added it
Shelves: mythology, religion
mythology,nonfiction,religion
Susan Gysen
Susan Gysen marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit
  • Tristan: With the Tristran of Thomas
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Women in Celtic Myth: Tales of Extraordinary Women from the Ancient Celtic Tradition
  • Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore