Start by marking “Selene: Putri Sang Cleopatra (Cleopatra's Daughter)” as Want to Read:
Selene: Putri Sang Cleopatra (Cleopatra's Daughter)

Selene: Putri Sang Cleopatra (Cleopatra's Daughter)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,686 Ratings  ·  1,976 Reviews
Pernikahan Marc Antony dan Cleopatra adalah salah satu kisah cinta sepanjang masa, sebuah kisah tentang hasrat yang tak terkendali dengan konsekuensi politik yang mengguncang dunia. Ditakuti dan diburu oleh kekuasaan di Roma, sepasang kekasih itu memilih untuk mati di tangan mereka sendiri, saat angkatan bersenjata rival Antony yang penuh dendam, Octavian, masuk ke Mesir. ...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Esensi (first published 2009)

Becky
This book was chosen for the May/June 2010 group read in the historical fiction group that I moderate here on Goodreads, and I couldn't wait to read it, so I started a teensy bit early. *blush* I'd been wanting to read one of Michelle Moran's books for a while, since I hear so much praise for them, and I'd planned on starting with "Nefertiti" with a friend, but that kind of fell apart due to other obligations. So I was thrilled when "Cleopatra's Daughter" was chosen, as it gave me the perfect ex ...more
Iset
Mar 10, 2015 Iset rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Early Teens Aged 10 - 15
Recommended to Iset by: No one
In terms of the recommendation to those who love historical fiction and ancient Egypt, as a voracious reader and someone so interested in history that I've made a career out of it, I've got to say that my response was more of a mixed bag to this book.

There were good and bad things to say about this book. I didn't like the blatant name-dropping, especially as it served little to no purpose and seemed to be added in purely for the "Ooooh, look, there's Ovid! And this is Vercingetorix's daughter!!!
Angelc
Sep 15, 2009 Angelc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved this book! 'Cleopatra's Daughter' is one of the best books I have read for a long time! Cleopatra Selene, her twin brother, Alexander, and their young brother Ptolemy suffer the loss of their parents, Cleopatra and Marc Antony, when Romans invade Egypt. As the children of the King and Queen of Egypt, Selene and her brothers are forcibly taken to Rome, essentially as prizes of the war. The story takes flight after their arrival in Rome and the twins adjust to a vastly different lifes ...more
Lexi
While an interesting take on the children of Cleopatra and Marc Antony, there is very little imagination or even characterization going on here. You don't feel attached to the characters, there is little to no reason to keep reading, and even the plot is a play-by-play account and not a real story. The ending feels more like a sop to keep the reader happy than an ending, and even the more intriguing characters seem flat and uncaring. I enjoyed the background because I like historical fiction, bu ...more
Jim
Mar 14, 2014 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of Roman material: fiction, history, contemporary letters, etc. So when an author's view of Rome significantly departs from what is known about the period, it yanks me out of the story. My wife and I had recently finished Colleen McCullough's masterful multi-volume series on Rome, which ended with the event at which this book begins. The contrast was jarring. Perhaps it says more about the quality of writing, but I think it says more about the comparative depth of research. McCullou ...more
Karina E
Oct 01, 2014 Karina E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Where to start? When I first started this a month ago I was really disappointed in it. In fact, so disappointed that I put it down for 2-3 weeks. I ordered it because I was in the mood for a historical novel that would teach me things through a fantastic story. A story like one by Follett, Gable, Gordon. Those authors make me feel like I just had the best history lecture ever, without it ever feeling like one. Cleopatra's daughter felt like I was reading a middle grade historical novel. Imagine ...more
Hilda
Nov 28, 2010 Hilda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pencinta intrik kerajaan :)
Semua orang tentu mengetahui Kleopatra, sang ratu Mesir yang terkenal dengan kecantikan dan kelicikannya. Kleopatra VII, yang kisah cintanya dengan Marc Anthony adalah salah satu cerita cinta terbesar pada waktu Sebelum Masehi. Tapi setelah kematian Kleopatra yang menyedihkan, kehidupan Mesir tidak berakhir begitu saja. Masih ada anak-anak Kleopatra dan Marc Anthony, yang terus hidup dan menderita.

Setelah kematian Kleopatra dan Marc Anthony, ketiga anak mereka diambil oleh Octavian, kaisar Romaw
Nora
Jul 11, 2010 Nora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
so I gave up after 120 pages. The perspective was from a 10 year old in 27BC who sounds like a 25 year old in 2010 AD. very Dawson's Creek, but not is a good way.
Lexie
I went into CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER with almost no idea at all about her children by Marc Antony. This isn't to say I had no idea who they were, but I didn't know their fates beyond that they didn't die with Cleopatra. Moran is careful to note any historical changes she made in the Historical Notes section, although she stayed as true to what is factually known as possible, in as much as possible.

There are smaller details that are interesting and noteworthy—such as Livia's (Octavian's obsequious, s
Alaine
I have to say that Michelle Moran is a master story teller and if it's possible her third book is even better than the previous two. This book swept me into a world I had never imagined, it is filled with tragedy and yet has an ending that will take your breath away. Selene and Alexander (twins) are the last remaining children of Marc Anthony and Cleopatra who die by suicide when Egypt is conquered by Caesar. Selene and Alexander are taken to Rome to be raised by Octavia, Caesar's sister. While ...more
Tanzanite
Jul 18, 2009 Tanzanite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! As with her previous books, Moran has a knack for bringing the ancient world alive. Following the defeat and death of her parents, Cleopatra Selene (along with her two brothers) are taken to Rome by Octavian where they will be raised by his sister Octavia (the wife Marc Antony left for Cleopatra - the woman must have been a saint). The book covers about a 3 year period as Selene grows up under the watchful eye of Octavia and learns about life and love. If you don't know much a ...more
Doreen Petersen
Aug 24, 2015 Doreen Petersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction
This book just blew me away! I'm not really into historical fiction but this book was soo good to the point I got to the last 275 pgs and just couldn't put it down until I finished. The author did a phenomenal job. A must read!
Mimi Smith
Aug 15, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

You probably know who Kleopatra(apparently, it wasn't really spelled with a C) was.You might also know about her relationships with Marc Anthony and Caesar. What you probably don't know is what happens after Kleopatra, with her children. As the book's title says, it deals with those who come after, her children, Alexander and Selene.

Thebes, the city of Living...

Actually, it's Alexandria, but this was The Mummy reference(an internal joke). Anyway, the book begins in Alexandria, 31 BC, with
Stephanie
Because I have a short reading attention span, reading Cleopatra: A Life reminded me that I had this book on my mental to-read list. And today I decided to take a detour into reading Cleopatra's Daughter before resuming that one. I wasn't super impressed with Nefertiti; in presentation, it struck me as a warmed over The Other Boleyn Girl... this time in Egypt! (And with a more interesting main character, to be fair.) Still, I have been curious about Cleopatra Selene for some time now and histori ...more
Alice
Que dire de ce livre... Si ce n'est qu'il est absolument génial? Je n'avais jamais lu de livre sur l'Egypte ancienne, et ça a été une découverte totale.
Cleopatra Selene, et son jumeau, Alexander Helios, sont amenés à Rome comme prix de guerre après la mort de leurs parents, Marc Anthony et Cleopatra. La, ils seront élevés par la sœur d'Octavian, Octavia, et sont amenés à découvrir le monde romain, dans une des cours les plus fascinantes du monde.

Ce livre m'a accrochée dès les premières pages:
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book was fascinating. The book, while a work of fiction, is based on real people in history. While I was somewhat familiar with the actual historical figures, my knowledge is limited to college courses.

The book is a semi-fictional account of Cleopatra's children with Marc Antony- twins Alexander and Cleopatra Selene. Selene and Alexander are taken to Rome against their will after Octavian, the ruler of Rome, defeats their parents, the rulers of Egypt.

The story begins when Selene and Alexa
Summer
I sort of waffled between 4 or 5 stars on this book. It's really well written and engrossing in my opinion. It's sometimes shelved as YA, and while the main characters start around 12 and age to 15 in the book I wouldn't say that it's meant for a YA audience. The narrator of the story has a mature voice and the subject matter is more adult at times. I think my main problem is the romantic element sort of threw me. I read this without doing any research into the history of the characters and was ...more
PDXReader
Jun 11, 2010 PDXReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this novel. Moran's attention to historical detail was absolutely top-notch. It's one of the best historical fiction books I think I've encountered in a long time - great balance of history and entertainment. There was one plot element that really bugged me -- something not historically accurate, something included simply to move the plot along -- that I thought was unnecessary and detracted from the overall high quality of the book, but other than that I loved ...more
Ipshita
This is a beautiful rendition of the life of Cleopatra Selene, the last descendant of the Ptolemy Empire. It follows the journey of Selene and her twin, Alexander, after losing their parents and later their little brother, into Rome, what they understand to be an enemy territory. A story filled with loss and alienation as well as finding compassion and understanding from the most unexpected sources.
Aaron
Jan 23, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Moran specializes in writing historical fiction that highlights woman who are strong and overcome great difficulties. Her earlier books focused on some important women from ancient Egypt, but this one brings us to the transition from power being centered in Egypt to it being centered in Rome. Cleopatra and Antony have failed in their attempt to take over the empire, and Octavian is coming to Alexandria to take them prisoner. Instead, they both choose suicide, but what does that mean for ...more
Laura Cleveland
Sep 17, 2009 Laura Cleveland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a waste of timber! The plot in this "novel" is paper-thin and the dialogue is perfectly puerile. I am astounded that others have given this punishing volume fine ratings. The breadth of this subject would have been better left to more finely chiseled authors.
Ticklish Owl
I don't usually feel the need for half stars, but this book really deserves 2 1/2 stars. I really liked some parts, but others fell far short of the mark.

This book is historical fiction, but it often didn't feel historical. It read like a middle-grade history essay crossed with a reality TV series; blatant fact dropping held together with drama. The endnotes explain the author's choices, but much of the story still felt out of place. For example:
"And where do you think we would go?" she (Cleopat
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Natalie Tsang for TeensReadToo.com

I absolutely loved reading CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER by Michelle Moran. The novel is about Marc Anthony and Kleopatra's children and told from the point of view of their daughter, Selene.

The novel starts in 30 BC, after two years of fighting between Marc Anthony and Octavian for control of Rome. Things go from bad to worse when Octavian captures Alexandria, the capital of Egypt, and effectively ends the war. After their parents commit suicide, the royal c
Monique
Mar 31, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book on Egyptian history by a truly amazing author, Moran makes you feel like you have been transported to imperial Rome through the eyes of a brave young girl, daughter of the infamous, powerful Kleopatra. The novel begins with the tragic and dramatic double suicide of one of my favorite love stories in history: Kleopatra and Marc Anthony...dramatically with rival Roman trimurvate Octavian vying for Egypt's power and wealth Kleopatra and Marc Anthony finally deplete their resources and ...more
Felina
May 21, 2010 Felina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily the best historical fiction book I have ever read. Roman history, in general is extremely complicated and very lewd. Michelle Moran has succeeded at writing a book that doesn't have Roman's copulating every other page but still has enough reference to keep it...well...real. If fact, this book has an excellent Young Adult feel to it.

Another thing that I loved about this book was Moran's ability to make you completely understand your surroundings. I had never fully understood the g
Kayla Edwards
It seems that I'm on a reread kick with Michelle Moran's works. I've read this book multiple times and somehow I'm still so intrigued. I love this one. I have so much respect and admiration for Kleopatra Selene and for the constant struggle and heartache she faces. Reading her story never fails to fuel my determination in my own life. This is one novel I have no doubt I will continue to reread throughout my lifetime. I highly recommend.
Janet
Jun 11, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was lucky enough to get an early copy of this novel and let me be the first to say, it does not disappoint. I finished it in one night. I loved this book even more than Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen.
Nikki
Jan 01, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Cleopatra and Ancient Rome
I thoroughly enjoy anything and everything having to do with my favorite person in history: Cleopatra. Therefore I was extremely interested in reading Moran's take on the life of Cleopatra's daughter after her mother's ultimate demise. Unfortunately there is not a wealth of information available regarding Selene, however, Moran did an excellent job in piecing together what is known and portraying it through historical fiction. I found the book thoroughly entertaining and it left me wanting more. ...more
Kristy
Michelle Moran is awesome at what she does, write incredible historical fiction. I have now read 3 of her books and I'm still hungry for me. She makes the reader feel like we are there, in Egypt or Rome. She makes us love... and hate her characters. She devlops them quickly, right of the bat we are hooked.
While this was not my absolute favorite, it was my close second to "The Heretic Queen." (which I highly recommend.)

In this book we get to follow the life of Cleopatra and Marc Antony's daugter
Sheree
Michelle Moran has been one of my favourite authors since reading Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen. I had no qualms about whether Michelle would deliver with Cleopatra's Daughter so I ordered the early release UK edition (patience is not my virtue) and Loved It.
If you've enjoyed Michelle Moran's previous works then I guarantee Cleopatra's Daughter will not disappoint and if you haven't tried one of her novels then what are you waiting for ... this is an absolute must-read!

We are swept from Alexa
  • Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2)
  • Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1)
  • Hand of Isis (Numinous World, #3)
  • Kleopatra (Kleopatra, #1)
  • Penelope's Daughter
  • The Second Duchess
  • Cleopatra's Moon
  • Sphinx's Princess (Sphinx's Princess, #1)
  • The Borgia Betrayal (The Poisoner Mysteries, #2)
  • Child of the Morning
  • The Secret History: A Novel of Empress Theodora
  • The Confessions of Catherine de Medici
  • To Defy a King (William Marshal #5)
  • Helen of Troy
  • The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici
  • When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra

Michelle Moran is the international bestselling author of six historical novels, including Madame Tussaud, which was optioned for a mini-series in 2011. Her books have been translated into more than twenty languages.

A native of southern California, Michelle attended Pomona
More about Michelle Moran...

“And when that time comes, let's hope your friends outnumber your enemies.” 44 likes
“Even in the most wretched life, there’s hope.” 35 likes