Start by marking “Bound to a Warrior” as Want to Read:
Bound to a Warrior

Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  545 ratings  ·  44 reviews
It has been prophesied that four men, raised as brothers, will bring Scotland back to her rightful glory. The first is running for his life.

Charged with the restoration of Scotland's one true king, Duncan MacAlpin isn't surprised to find himself fleeing an army across the verdant hills of his homeland. But having to do so while shackled to a woman . . . that is a true chal...more
Published August 31st 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bound to a Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound to a Warrior

Elle
This was a four-star story that lost one because of the numerous logic issues. For a good part of the story, the hero is shackled to the heroine, but there are all kinds of things going on that would require all kinds of contortions which are never satisfactorily discussed or explained. For example, they dress and undress several times. There are a couple references to the obvious problems, but, for example, at one point the hero and his mother get the still-shackled heroine into a nightgown, wi...more
Sara Mitchell
This is the first of the warrior kings series and having just recently discovered Donna Fletcher I'm excited about continuing the series. I did like the overall story. There is the legacy that the true king of Scotland will rise against the current evil and destructive king. He rides as one of the four. Duncan MacAlpin and Mercy find themselves chained together after getting captured by the king's soldiers and led as prisoners to the king. They're both vital to this legacy and the king captures...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Good GOD! I hate travel boooks! Half of the book was about 2 people trying to get from point a to point b safely! It brings me back to sitting in a car on a long trip (5-12 hrs)with my mom singing (not Me!)stupid songs with my sisters & asking if we are almost there yet. My dad sighing... trying to be nice, and telling me "NO!" Geeeez! Early childhood traumas!

Needless to say, I was quite bored with the travel. It repeats itself in all but setting in every change of event. Walk, feet hurt, f...more
Cherie Jensen
Donna Fletcher is one of my favorite highlander authors. Real characters making real decisions and not acting like idiots while pretending to be alphas. Thank you Donna!

This is the first story of the four warriors and it begins with Duncan and Mercy shackled to each other. It is pages and pages of positive interaction with none of the silly drama that is often used to stretch out a story. This is my second time through and though I know who the true king is I'm totally engrossed in the story aga...more
Linda
Started this 5/9/11 & it's (really) good so far
I take it back! Disappointed the further I read. Started off very well & the storyline seemed interesting but the writing style left a lot to be desired. Not as fluid/accomplished as say L.Kleypas or some my fav authors. Dialogue was simplistic & didn't set the right tone for the era it was set in; someone saying "Hi!" ?? Did ppl talk that way, way back then? *laughs*
Doubt if i want to read anymore of her books & don't plan to get th...more
Zina
Ugh, if only this book was as good as the cover. I totally got sucked in by the picture of Brad Pitt in a kilt. It started off pretty good, but about one-third into it the story started falling apart, and by the end it was a grisly mess. Sorry, dear author, I usually keep my complaints to myself, but this book was just awful.
Lover of Romance
Duncan, gets caught by the king's soldiers and finds himself chained to her side. He knows that they will be killed very soon. Chained to her side, he admires this woman's courage and tenacity. When they manage to escape the soldiers, just barely, they are on the run, trying to hide from the soldiers that hunt them. Duncan has a important mission, and being chained to Mercy is a challenge, but a delightful one. He finds himself captivated by her beauty and strength of spirit. Mercy is running fr...more
Miss
Duncan and Mercy.
I enjoied this book very much, I loved that they were shackled together, and thought that it was a great way to start the book. Their back stories aren't too focused on, until about 3/4 quaters, of the way threw the book, so that's also good. But after that it all becomes about, what he might be, and what her mother did, who her father is, who she is, why they met etc. etc. etc!
And, I might add, it's a travelling book, so Duncan and Mercy have to get from A-to-B, except it takes...more
Jill Dunlop
Duncan MacAlpine, on his way back home to Scotland finds himself captured by the English. He is handcuffed to a brave English woman, Mercy. At the first opportunity Duncan and Mercy break away from their captors. They must travel over treacherous land riddled with English soldiers avoiding recapture while literally bound to each other by their wrists. Talk about teamwork. These two must learn to master the art of hiking, eating, bathing and sleeping as one unit.

Sounds like a winning scenario for...more
Gaby
I loved this story from beginning to end, from hero to heroine and every secondary character in between. I've have definitely become a big fan of these passionate, adventurous and incredibly romantic Scottish historical works of fiction.

Duncan and Mercy are so lovely together from the very start. Although I like it when the hero and the heroine have some passionate bickering moments, etc, etc., I also enjoy it a lot when they just get along beyond the typical opposition mixed with lust and attra...more
Nicole
Donna Fletcher - Bound to a Highland Warrior Love Love Love Donna Fletcher!! Always a must read Author!

Duncan & Mercy,
Loved the plot, setting & characters. Love the dynamics of the McAlpin brothers. Teasing, funloving, serious, caring, loving, just great clan to be around.
Love Mara the mommy, perfect personality for all those rough boys in her house.

Duncan is sweet, chivalrous, caring, nurturing, protective, prowess, valour, honorable and oh so delicious. Love how he always thinks of Mer...more
Barbara ★
Arrested by the King's men for no apparent reason Duncan MacAlpin and Mercy are shackled together and marched to their death...until they escape...still shackled together. A week long journey on foot will bring them to Duncan's family home but will they outrun and outsmart their followers?

I liked the slow buildup to the romance regardless that they had to get naked on the first day just to survive hypothermia. Unfortunately I did not enjoy the 200+ pages of their flight through the Highlands. I...more
Naina Kaylina
I liked it but I actually read the second book first by accident not knowing it was a series intil I finished the second lol. So i read this one and I thought it was alright. I liked the second one more :)
Leslie Mesmer
This was a fast read and a nice break from the heavier books I have been reading.
This is the first book in a series about 4 brother's, 1 of whom is the "true" king, although you don't know which one, and their stories as they gather to take on the King and return the Scottish lands back to their own people.
In this story Duncan finds himself chained by the king's orders to Mercy. They make a break for it and manages to escape the soldiers. The story follows as they flee trying to get to Duncan...more
Laura Tucker
This is a great book! I read it in less than a day and a half. I was completely swept away by the characters, setting, and writing.
Claudine
Scotland Highlands 1005

A Seer's Prophecy

When summer touches winter and the snow decends the reign fo the false king begins to end.
Four warriors ride together and then divide among them the true king hides.
When he meets death on his own that is when he reclaims his throne.

Donna Fletcher's Warrior King Series has a wonderful start with Duncan McAlphin and Mercy (bastard daughter to the false king). This was a book I couldn't put down. If Duncan's story is any indication of how this series will be...more
Antoinette Lewis
I like it was very interesting.

I am reading book 2 now
Stephanie Williams
OMG!!!! I luved it i cant wait to find out who the true king is... lol
Lori Kurochkina
I did not like this book at all. It started off with them already chained/handcuffed together and trying to escape. The first paragraph/scene left way too many questions unanswered: how long had they been handcuffed at this point, why were they captured, how were they captured, etc. By the first few chapters, I was feeling irritated that so many questions were not answered, scenes moved along way too quickly and I hated how they fell for each other instantly, no tension whatsoever to overcome.
Jade aka MrsTosh
I read this book as part of a listopia challenge and to be honest when I saw the cover I wasn't really blown away it looked kind of aged and I hadn't realised the book was only published in 2010.

After finishing the book I can tell you I thought this book was wonderful, and a refreshing change to some of the other Scottish historical romances I have read and I will definitely finishing the rest of the series.
Kay Cochran
Super fun romance. Almost elegant in its smut content. Fun dialogue, charming plot-line. Just one easy, breezy read.

If you're buying this book, however, you'll want to shell out the dough and just purchase the other three books in the series; unless you enjoy cliffhanging plot-lines, you won't be satisfied with this part one's ending.
Anne
As they escape the kings soldiers shackled to eachother, mercy and Duncan risk everything to return to Duncan's home castle where they will be safe. A harrowing trip across the Highlands, and finally they arrive. but this is not the end for the two who find their attraction growing. Recommended
Cruth
Start of a four part series, a bit slow but the "bound to him" aspect is kind of cool. The journey they take is interesting (but gets tired by book 4) and has a little "Pilgrim's Progress" feel to it. Sets up an interesting series.

Mayanna
This book really did not grab my interest, and it wasn't because it was boring, it simply just wasn't for me. Therefore it will not get any stars from me because, I am unfit to rate a book that would have probably been good if I had been interested in the concept.
Jenna
Super boring. I liked the premise of two strangers chained together, but the characters were very dull. The female was annoying and the male was forgettable. I didn't have to pay for this book because of an Amazon gift card, but don't waste your money.
Becca
Could not finish. This was a travel story and the characters were too cookie cutter for me to care. This reminded me of romance novels from the 80's with super innocent virgins and super alpha males. If that is your cup of tea, you will probably like it.
Lisa
I really liked this book. The humor between the characters came off as real. Something like the way my parents interacted with each other. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. Wish I could find a target date for its release.
Linda Young
This book was a great read. I loved it. It has all the eliments you want. Laughter, mystery, romance, and historical eliments that always make a story that more interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more of Fletcher.
Glittergirl
Duncan MacAlpin, one of 4 adopted brothers (one of which is the "True King") ends up chained by the wrist to Mercy, the bastard-daughter of the unpopular & selfish current Scot King.
Ana
Even though I lost interested about halfway through the book, I still finished it. I might read the rest of the series sometime in the future. I want to know who the true king is.
  • Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Highlander's Conquest (Stolen Bride, #2)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • A Necessary Husband
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • The Trouble With Highlanders (The Sutherlands #2)
  • Taken by Desire
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Bride for a Night
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • The Scotsman
  • The Warrior Laird (Highlander Brothers, #1)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers, #1) The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4) The Irish Devil (Irish Eyes, #1) (Irish Eyes Duo, #1) The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3) Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)

“Pain is pain, long or short; it’s still felt, still suffered,” 2 likes