Start by marking “Voyager” as Want to Read:
Voyager

Voyager (New California Poetry #31)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Srikanth Reddy’s second book of poetry probes this world’s cosmological relation to the plurality of all possible worlds. Drawing its name from the spacecraft currently departing our solar system on an embassy to the beyond, Voyager unfolds as three books within a book and culminates in a chilling Dantean allegory of leadership and its failure in the cause of humanity. At ...more
Published February 7th 2011 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Voyager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyager

Elizabeth
May 03, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I sat down yesterday and read this book in one big gulp, except that there is something about the structure and patterning of the book that prevents one from gulping too fast or getting, so to speak, an ice cream headache. In the past several years, I've read several interesting erasure projects, and I'd say that this is the one that gives itself most permission to move from the source into its own language and lyricism. Part of this might lie with Reddy's willingness to revisit passages for mul ...more
Laurel L. Perez
Sep 27, 2015 Laurel L. Perez rated it it was amazing
One of the most intriguing, imaginative, and bold projects I have read recently. This erasure project seems to rely on structure and patterning to say something big. Written in such a way that each reading is a re-reading, a new look. The lyricism and construction is really what hold a greater narrative afloat, a surreal experience in a nightmare landscape of a world that comes face to face with it's own capacity to destroy itself from the inside-out.

Kai
Jun 23, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, poetry
First, read it before looking up anything about it. Then come back to it.

It's a great project utilizing greatly varied prose between 'books,' and deserves multiple reads (and encourages it; it's quite enjoyable to read multiple times to pull more out of it). Historically compelling. You have very little to lose by reading it, and much to gain in my opinion. I won't say too much to let you engage with it without spoiling it.
Erica
Nov 06, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
An immense work. Haunting, lyric, and perhaps the most successful erasure I've ever read. The three erasures construct three different takes on the horrors and strangeness of the twentieth century. The third, the bulk of the book, moves the fastest for me and is the most narrative, telling a surreal story embedded in the nightmare-scape of a world confronted with its own capacity for destruction. Still, it avoids the angst and irony so much of contemporary writing turns to to engage with the leg ...more
Samantha
Oct 25, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Really great erasure that can be read and enjoyed multiple times.
Hannah
Jul 12, 2012 Hannah rated it did not like it
If you're not really interested in poetry and analysis, do not pick this book up. It took me hours to analyze this book, and although it is beautifully written, it is definitely not my cup of tea. I do see how some people would find it fascinating though.
Aaron Bauer
Aug 08, 2012 Aaron Bauer rated it it was amazing
The book is made up of three long poems (or four, depending how you think about it). The harsh juxtaposition in form between each poem helps keep the reader's attention fresh in what otherwise might be very dense work.
Kristin
Jan 15, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
An incredible effort by Reddy, one of my favorite poets. I've read a lot of erasures, but this one blew me away. Each page is carefully crafted with a masterful wit. Brilliant.
Jeremy Allan
Jun 12, 2016 Jeremy Allan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I can't remember when I read this book, but it definitely no longer belongs on my "want to read" list. An excellent book, even if I preferred Reddy's debut.
sarah louise
Sep 01, 2012 sarah louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: excellent-poetry
utterly astounding. about 75% of its total 175% comprehended. 150% recommended.
Corey Ryan
Feb 19, 2012 Corey Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2012
Great process birthed an equally pleasing product.
H
May 16, 2013 H added it
"Yet at home in the remains" -3.18
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Kyle Williams
Kyle Williams rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Sofie Williams
Sofie Williams rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Marena Galluccio
Marena Galluccio rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Allison Morton
Allison Morton rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
k
k rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Nicole McCarthy
Nicole McCarthy rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Annie
Annie added it
Jul 08, 2016
Andrew C Nye
Andrew C Nye rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Beryl Clark
Beryl Clark marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • Praise
  • With Deer
  • Fall Higher
  • That This

New California Poetry (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • For