Start by marking “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  31,879 Ratings  ·  513 Reviews
Tom Sawyer, a shrewd and adventurous boy, is as much at home in the respectable world of his Aunt Polly as in the self-reliant and parentless world of his friend Huck Finn. The two enjoy a series of adventures, accidentally witnessing a murder, establishing the innocence of the man wrongly accused, as well as being hunted by Injun Joe, the true murderer, eventually escapin ...more
Audio CD
Published July 1st 2005 by Naxos Audiobooks (first published 1876)

Jason Pettus
Feb 29, 2008 Jason Pettus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, classic, victorian
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reposted here illegally.)

The CCLaP 100: In which over a two-year period I read a hundred so-called "classics," then write essays about whether I think they deserve the label
This week: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain (1876)
Book #6 of this essay series

The story in a nutshell:
Designed specifically to be a popular exa
Barb Middleton
Jan 13, 2015 Barb Middleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, ya, adventure, classic
As a kid, I loved Tom Sawyer's imaginative adventures and bucking of authority. He had the nerve to run away and didn't care if he got in trouble. I envied his manipulation of adults and kids. When Tom talks the neighborhood boys into painting the fence for him because it was fun, I remembered wishing I had his smooth talking ways so I could convince my neighbors to help me rake what amounted to 100 bags of leaves - an endless fall chore of mine and my siblings. Not only does Tom psychologically ...more
Lmcwil
Mar 16, 2008 Lmcwil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I don't understand why these are only listed as one book- I distinctly remember reading Tom Sawyer, and then some years later, reading Huck Finn. Anyways, I liked them both although I recall particularly appreciating the latter. As far as I recall, Tom Sawyer was basically just a fun read, whereas Huck Finn seemed more of a social commentary, with a certain dark brooding about it. I read these both ages ago, prolly when i was about 13 or 14; I would definitely recommend.
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Correct start date for my reading Huck Finn is some time in the Fall of 19** about when Mr G was reading aloud to the class of us sixth-graders but being as how I suppose we all preferred the Ray Bradbury and Stephen King short stories we didn't get so very far in ole Huck's autobiography. Forward a few states and years and Mrs Rule tried to teach us Huck Finn in eighth grade. (Bless her soul, the only competent teacher in a school staffed by monkeys.) I did my damnedest to avoid reading much of ...more
Ani
May 08, 2008 Ani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
By Mark Twain
Review by Anneliese Edge

I can honestly say I have never been to the Mississippi River, but the author of the this great American novel made me feel as if I were actually with Huck and Jim on their many adventures down this historical river. The novel is about a young boy named Huckleberry Finn who is searching for adventure and is longing for freedom. This young boy was taken away by his drunk of a father because he wanted to possess the money Huc
John Wiswell
Jun 23, 2007 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This the best volume without annotations, as it compactly contains both The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, with the split in the middle that explains the former is the story of a boy, and the latter is the story of a man.

The former captures the spirit of boyhood extremely well, with an unrivaled sense of humor and ignorance. It's just anecdotal enough to be read in tiny doses or in a steady stream, and builds to a satisfying climax - though plot is always in thi
Ebster Davis
Aug 30, 2011 Ebster Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, this is the first time I've listened to the unabridged version. For those of us naive enough to believe that the two American Folk heroes in this book are merely rambunctious teenagers looking for adventure, the real story will come as a complete shock.

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are budding psychopaths.

It's not like its completely their faults either. They both have a skewed sense of morality that was influenced by their upbringing and culture. Huck was abused badly and then ab
Dave
Aug 27, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this and liked it a lot more. My first review is below this one. I got to thinking about narrators who reveal things about themselves unintentionally. Plus I liked Jim a lot more. Definately a sloppy book, but Huck is great. Kinda sad how he is great and doesn't realize it.

The language in this book and the style of narration are what make Huck Finn. I am not interested in the movement of the plot which tires me in keeping track of where the hell they are going. But that is lazy attenti
Cathy
Jan 26, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read Tom and Huck, and skipped the third book (at least for the time being). I read Tom Sawyer as a kid, and managed to make it this far in life without ever having read Huck Finn before!

Tom is just good entertainment and nothing more, loaded with nostalgia for the childhood everyone wishes he had had -- running loose on summer nights, exploring islands and haunted houses, adventure and peril and hidden treasure to be won.

Huckleberry Finn is pretty amazing, for its loving description of the r
Vishnu
Aug 11, 2015 Vishnu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I'd read both of these a decade ago, when I was about the same age as Tom and Huck, reading them again has been such a differently enriching experience. While the first is, ostensibly, a book for children by adults, the second is a book for adults by children.

Even as both works can exist in their own, a dual edition like this brings out some of the inherent interdependencies as well those feature which contrast one another sharply. I agree with those who say that Twain is perhaps Amer
Silvana
I like Huck's story better than Tom's. Probably because it is darker. Tom's story is alright, he's a very smart and creative kid and he sometimes made me laugh, especially the part when he was asked about the first two disciples during Sunday School and he answered David and Goliath, haha...

Anyway, Huck's story is better because it gives more insight on the real life and people along the Mississippi river when there's still slavery. Huck surely met with various, interesting characters during his
Sonja
Oct 06, 2012 Sonja rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply hate the way it is written. Yes, I know the southern American language shapes the characters and makes them unique, but damn it, it takes forever to read. Old medieval English is more understandable than this crap. I'll take Shakespeare any day.
The story is lazing along and, to be honest, quite boring most of the time. There are so many detours and unnecessary details that even though the book is not that long, it feels like the length of a heavy Russian drama. I can honestly say that I
Brian Ridge
Mar 27, 2011 Brian Ridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-classics
Not sure what else I can add to the mountains of praise these two books have received over the years. Clearly, they are are classics of American literature that deserve to be read in their original form by all American high school students. I think that what I liked best about these two books is the innocence and simplicity of the era. While kids today are busy with TV, movies, computer games, social media, and cell phones, Tom, Huck and their friends could entertain themselves for hours on end ...more
Tyler
Mar 17, 2011 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, is about the life and times of a boy named Huckleberry Finn. After running away from home, Huck hides off in a near by island, and while at the island he gets to know and continues his adventures with Jim, a runaway slave. I really enjoyed the book because it was fun to read, unpredictable, and I liked how Mark Twain made the book feel like it was written by Huck himself. It's a good book, and I would recommend it.

June Ahern
Apr 16, 2011 June Ahern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Twain was a writing genius as he captured a time in American history and the lives of people living in the South. I'm chucking my way through Huck's adventures with Tom showing up recently. Read this as a teen and rereading as a senior with much change of my outlook on the story. Completed - again - since I've read this read this story way back in the olden days. A good read for sure!
Sam
Apr 03, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are two of the most iconic American characters, and this volume contains both of their stories. The first - Tom Sawyer's - is a good, general read, but the second - Huck's - is where Mark Twain really pulls out all his stops. He tackles some of the deepest issues of his America, namely, slavery and abolition, and creates an incredible satiric novel.
May 10, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this novel as a child. Reading as an adult, I found that I wasn't quite so engrossed but I did enjoy it and appreciated the author's style of writing. I found myself paying less attention to the story which I knew and more to the writing and language. A great period tale.
Matthew
Feb 06, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the fuck is wrong with people who want to change the vocabulary of this book? There is a point to using the word "nigger" in it. If you can't understand why, then you're a moron.
Megan Hoag
May 17, 2012 Megan Hoag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You cannot call yourself an American if you have not read this book. Thus, if you are not American, it may be quite irrelevant to your literary canon.
Michelle
Jul 07, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Not as much fun as Huckleberry Finn, but then when I re-read Huck, Tom was the most annoying part. He's such a bone-head.
Denis
Oct 23, 2013 Denis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kennt wohl jeder aus seinen kindheitstagen
Janna Shaftan
Oct 23, 2015 Janna Shaftan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quintessential
A.K. Smith
Nov 19, 2016 A.K. Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Twain. Classic. Timeless. Authentic. wonderful
Monthly Book Group
The proposer began with a brief introduction to the life of Samuel Clemens, whose pen name was Mark Twain. ("Mark Twain" was a Mississippi River term: the second mark on the line used to measure safe depth for a steamboat.)
He was born in 1835, and grew up in Missouri beside the Mississippi River. The two books are set in the period of his own childhood, before the American Civil War. As a child, the proposer had received a copy of Tom Sawyer as a birthday present. The proposer wanted to see if t
Sandy
Nov 07, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished Tom Sawyer but not Huckleberry Finn.
Liked the shewd naughty Tom, how he pursuaded the boys to paint the fence for him with fun, how he was absorbed by a fly or a green worm, how he comforted and protected Becky like a man.
As to Huckleberry Finn, stopped reading at the adventure with the "king" and the "duke", what nonsense were they talking about...

I think you will like these paragraphs: <3
=====
In the midst of the prayer a fly had lit on the back of the pew in front of him and tortu
Jogle
OVERALL 3 stars

Reading these two famous stories together in one volume immediately questions the idea that they are two episodes of the same continuing adventure. The picaresque novels about the boyhood friends may involve some of the same characters, and indeed one begets the other, but the tenor, complexity and theme of the Huck Finn novel is, for the most part, very different to the first.

Samuel Clemens based the boyhood tales on his upbringing in Hannibal, Missouri, introducing the character
Trish
Jan 22, 2017 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll give this 3.5 stars. This rating is solely for Huckleberry Finn, because I read Tom Sawyer earlier.

After the adventures of Tom Sawyer we get to learn more about his partner in crime Huckleberry. He's been taken in by a widow, but later runs off after his drunken father has come back. Upon his running away he encounters Jim, a runaway slave, and they develop a relationship that Huckleberry comes to realize is just as important as any other. Jim had the kindest and most innocent heart.

They
Steve H
Jan 25, 2017 Steve H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is not the version that I had. I can't find it in your listing.
Whatever; I really don't like the book. Didn't finish it. It's not my type of story and I really don't like the writing. I really should have given it 2 stars but I was generous. I guess I needed to have been alive during the 1800's to appreciate this book. But I can see why there are so many stories written about this work. It lends itself to short adventure stories.
Kevin
Jan 27, 2017 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Then the old man got to cussing, and cussed everything and everybody he could think of, and then cussed them all over again to make sure he hadn’t skipped any, and after that he polished off with a kind of a general cuss all round, including a considerable parcel of people which he didn’t know the names of, and so called them what’s-his-name when he got to them, and went right along with his cussing."
-Ch. 6 Pg 186
Jeremy
Feb 20, 2017 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eli-s-books
Eli loved it! I think he is a little bit jealous of Tom though.
Goodreads Librari...: Kindle Version 6 17 Aug 14, 2016 03:05AM
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • Kalle Blomquist, Eva Lotte und Rasmus
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene raamat
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens / Peter and Wendy
  • Doctor Dolittle's Circus (Doctor Dolittle, #4)
  • William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)
  • Plain Tales from the Hills
  • The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Selected Works of the Brontë Sisters: Jane Eyre / Villette / Wuthering Heights / Agnes Grey / The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • Animal Farm / 1984
  • The Cave Girl
  • Complete Ghost Stories
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“Write what you know.” 178 likes
“Git up and hump yourself, Jim! There ain't a minute to lose. They're after us!” 6 likes