Start by marking “Typhoon (Dustrunners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Typhoon (Dustrunners, #1)

Read eBook

Typhoon (Dustrunners #1)

Kani isn’t Tundra. Tundra is a dustrunner: a ruthless space pirate, flying dangerous missions in low Earth orbit, risking the lives of millions of people below. Kani is just a regular teenager, and she wants absolutely nothing to do with that. Unfortunately, she has no choice.

Now, thrown into a world of deception and betrayal, Kani must fight to keep herself alive as she’s
Paperback, 2.0, 374 pages
Published November 10th 2010 by 1889 Labs Ltd (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Typhoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Typhoon

A.M.
Nov 02, 2010 A.M. rated it it was amazing
Typhoon is the first book in the Dustrunners quintology, a series following not only Kani’s story but the lives of her team members as well. Set in a not-too distant future, the Dustrunners world is one of piracy, politics, adventure and danger, not to mention nail-biting emotional rollercoasters.

It’s hard to create a realistic dystopian future, and as such the thought and attention given to the world-building are a credit to MCM’s writing. Kani’s world has traces of the familiar—mobile phones,
Kyle Newton
Jan 26, 2011 Kyle Newton rated it really liked it
MCM has crafted a future where space-flight is as simple a task as it is to hop in a car and drive around the neighborhood. Typhoon tells the story of three characters, all of whom are part, or victim, of a conspiracy to capture what the media has labelled "Dustrunners". Like modern day Robin Hoods, these Dustrunners steal from the wealthy for the benefit of the poor.

MCM mixes in his trademark humor but Typhoon makes a good case for showing off his ability to write about serious subjects. It's n
Jan
Jun 02, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typhoon is one of the first books I read by MCM and it's the main reason I'm such a big fan of his.

The story is a roller coaster of thrills and emotions. Set in a not too distant but all the more disagreeable future, Kani is forced to take the identity of her best friend, who owes money to the mafia, and has to tag along on an illegal mission in space. Her teammates don't trust her, the mafia and the police are after her, and then it turns out she's not the only one with a fake identity.

Next to
A'lina
Nov 13, 2010 A'lina rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Typhoon has some great characters; distinctive, flawed and real. From Kani a teenager who ends up becoming a space pirate, a dustrunner, to save the life of her best friend who’s in deep trouble with the mob. And the smart, funny hermit Kaso who helps her through cell phones and computers. To Yuri and how his strong interest in helping a young women get back on her feet leads to a shaky marriage, to the present where he’s a dustrunner trying to get enough money to save the life of his dying daug ...more
Luke Strickland
Like an episode of 24, Typhoon was compelling from the start and I was immediately drawn in to the lives of the various "dustrunners" we meet in the book. I enjoyed the way that the flashbacks gave progressive insight to the various characters such as Yuri and Chenne, and how the sub-plots culminated in the final scenes of the story. I'm glad it's only book one becuase there are plenty of questions left to answer, and plenty of scope to develop the series further.
What's also compelling about the
Carl
Nov 01, 2010 Carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book. It was very fast paced but not in a bad way. The book was written in three days which just amazes me! I received this book on First Reads.
Paula de Santana
May 22, 2011 Paula de Santana rated it it was ok
The plot is intriguing, the characters very interesting and you are dropped right in the middle of the action. What else could you ask for? Well... In my case? An explanation. To be fair, MCM does give one at the end of the Smashwords edition I read, but as much as I love to start a book with a bang, when this happens the author usually has to find a way to explain to the readers as they read along how they got there in the first place. And that is exactly where this book let me down.

Read my ful
Austin
Jan 10, 2012 Austin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a great book full of action. Its takes place in a pre dystopia kind of world that is perfect for this book. I liked all the characters in this book. They were well developed and had an important place in the story. The storyline is also really good as is the authors writing style. I highly recommend this book.
Nora
Oct 31, 2010 Nora rated it liked it
Really fast paced adventure although perhaps a bit too fast paced for my taste. I think this will be good for people that like thrillers.
Suzanne (Doppleganger)
Suzanne (Doppleganger) rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2011
Nancy Brauer
Nancy Brauer rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2010
Mitzi
Mitzi rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2011
AquaBirdie
AquaBirdie rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Seguleh First
Seguleh First rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Darleine
Darleine rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Lyn Thorne-Alder
Lyn Thorne-Alder rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Suzette r
Suzette r rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Charissa Cotrill
Charissa Cotrill rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2010
Michael Brooks
Michael Brooks rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Wis
Wis rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2011
Chris Maddocks
Chris Maddocks rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2010
Fjeronimo
Fjeronimo rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2010
Jeff Fleischmann
Jeff Fleischmann rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2010
Vampirelover
Vampirelover rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Les Gehman
Les Gehman rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Nancy Brauer
Nancy Brauer rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2010
amara
amara rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
MCM MCM
Oct 20, 2010 MCM MCM rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
MCM is the author of books like "The Vector", "The App", "Fission Chips" and the livewritten novels "Typhoon", "The New Real", and "Arkady and Kain". He also wrote and illustrated the anti-DRM fable “The Pig and the Box”, which has been translated into 18 languages and read over one million times by people across the globe. In his spare time, he creates TV series like "RollBots", playing all over ...more
More about MCM...