Start by marking “Beaten” as Want to Read:
Beaten

Beaten (Surviving Southside)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Keah Robinson, a cheerleader, is beaten by her boyfriend Ty Hendricks, a star running back, and has him arrested for assault, but she struggles with her own inner conflicts after she testifies against him in court.
Published March 1st 2011 by Lerner Publishing Group (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beaten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaten

Jennifer Lavoie
I was a little disappointed with this book. I was about to give it a three, but decided not to. While it is high interest for teens and the topic - sadly - is very relevant, there were too many errors in the book that distracted me. The book is short, a novella really, and a very fast read for most. Paige has little growth and she angered me, but at the same time I see this as being true. I was angry at Ty for the way he reacted, too, but again... true.

What bothered me were the errors. There wa
Beeky
Jan 27, 2016 Beeky rated it really liked it
Beaten is a violent book by Suzanne Weyn. Beaten book is about head cheerleader Keah Robinson and star football player Ty Hendricks. First Keah thinks "the love of her life" Ty is such a sweet loving caring boy loves her so Keah drops all her friends so her and Ty could be together 24/7. But then everything takes a viciously turn when Ty gets frustrated and HITS Keah! Keah's mom see's the bruise and ask her what happened she said she fell when her cheer leading squad did a pyramid at practice. B ...more
Allison Heitkamp
Mar 11, 2015 Allison Heitkamp rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book "Beaten" by Suzanne Weyn. This book was a super easy book to read and understand. The book however isn't very detailed and that is why I gave it a three out of five. The book is about a high school girl who has a football star boyfriend. Her boyfriends dad is an alcoholic and abusive. She thinks her boyfriend will never be like that but she is wrong. Read the book to find out what happens to their relationship.
Stephanie
This was a quick read. I am trying to make sure I reach my goal for the end of the year. This was the story of Paige and Ty 2 young people in an abusive relationship. Ty is a football player and Paige is a cheerleader. Paige is bubbly, friendly and likes to talk to everyone and Ty is somewhat of a loner with an abusive, alcoholic father. Paige tries her best to be encouraging to Ty when he is down or not doing well on the football field but all he does he yell and starts to hit her.

I think some
Monet
Aug 22, 2015 Monet rated it it was amazing
The book I read was called beaten by Suzanne weyn.this story is about a girl named Paige she's the cheerleading captain at south side high dating Ty the MVP of the football team they seem to have a perfect relationship from the outside but in the inside things are violent and scary.
Paige is a very lucky girl from what people see but inside she's really suffering she wants to fit in and be like the other girls on the cheerleading squad and she thinks by dating Ty will get her to fit in.
Ty is j
Summer
Sep 14, 2012 Summer rated it really liked it
i liked this book and i thought ty was the worst boyfriend ever, and when you read this book it makes you dislike the narrator because of her decesions
Joy
Jun 15, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
This is one of several books in the high interest low level reading series Surviving Southside. I would highly recommend this series to struggling readers in grades 7-12. The books in this series are 95-100 pages and boost the reader's confidence by numbering the first page of the novel as page 7. Large font size and wide margins along with an accessible reading level (590L) make this an inviting read for struggling readers.

This novel illustrates the cycle of violence in the dating relationship
Patrice
Jun 21, 2012 Patrice rated it it was amazing
Paige is the head cheerleader at Southside High school and she is dating Ty the star running back. This couple is unstoppable. But everything that looks good on the outside is not good for you. Ty has problems at home. His father is an alcoholic and takes his anger out on him. Ty is under a lot of pressure during this football season with the process of recruitment and Southside having the chance to win the championship game. Ty does not know how to handle his anger and nervousness that he takes ...more
Connie Michael
Feb 13, 2013 Connie Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I don't want my two stars to deter anyone form this book because I am rating it on the fact I don't think it should be classified as a book but instead as a novella. The book is very short, only 98 pages and it drops us into the action without much chance to get to know the characters. Due to this I felt that they were shallow and trite. Relying heavy on stereo types of high school kids and kids from broken homes. I never got a chance to like the MC Paige, or feel sorry for her and her relations ...more
Marshay Elijha
The book I just read was beaten. It was about a girl named Paige who was finally going out with the boy named Ty who she had a crush on. They was all good till one day Ty hit her cause he was mad cause he lost a game. Even since that happen she was scared of him. She would flinch when he got mad. Ty would flirt with other girls but when Paige just talked to another boy as a friend Ty would get all mad. After they lost a big game Ty thought it was if fault so he didn’t want to go to the celebrat ...more
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
This book was alright. I felt like it was written half-assed which surprised me because I read a few of Weyn's other books and they were a lot better than this one.

This book dealt with an abusive relationship. Ty, whose a H.S. football player, ends up beating his girlfriend Paige. She makes up excuses for him even after hes arrested for beating her in public.

I wanted to like this book but it breezed through everything so quickly. There were about 23 chapters and each chapter was at most 5 pages
Charise
Oct 22, 2012 Charise rated it it was amazing
I finished this book way back and didnt review about it because i forgot but now i finally got to it here people. The book Beaten was about a girl who goes out with a guy she thinks he is sweet and kind and like the best boyfriend ever until he gets stressed out and hits her, the first time he hits her is before the big football game. When he hit her she nearly flew across the street because she was outside talking to him trying to make him feel better which obviously did not work. The second ti ...more
Elena Camarena
Dec 19, 2013 Elena Camarena rated it liked it
The novel Beaten by Suzanne Weyn is a short story about a teenage girl being abused by her boyfriend.Paige is the head cheerleader at south side high.Ty is the star running back for the football team.After going over to Ty's house,Paige discovers that both of Ty's parents are alcoholics.Because Ty is nervous about not being recruited for his favorite college,he starts to become aggressive.Paige tries to help Ty with his problems at school and at home.As Paige tries to help Ty with his problems h ...more
Apr 18, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I didn't read the back of the book until after I had read this short book. It was a book a finished in about 3 days. And i actually thought it was a well written book. I was very surprised that Keah and Ty weren't the perfect couple and that her and Sadie became friends again in the end. I liked the book, but I don't think it ended well and I did not like the ending.
Tarynn Kuehl
Oct 17, 2014 Tarynn Kuehl rated it really liked it
This a was a pretty good book.I liked how they were together and then you had a mystery of what he was going to do.It was sad how her boyfriend took out his anger on her she was beaten up for no reason sometimes.When he beat her up he would always say sorry and try to make up but that was a mistake she should just break up with him.I liked this book.
Taylor Dodge
Jan 31, 2013 Taylor Dodge rated it it was amazing
I just finished this amazing book called Beaten by Susanne Weyn. The main characters' name in this book is Paige. She goes through a lot of trouble in the book. The conflict in this book was that her boyfriend Tyrone was abusing her.

I thought that this book was very interesting. I say that because when Paige started going out with Tyrone she thought that they were a good couple; and I thought that they were a good couple too. Also I would say that she lied to her friends and family saying that s
Zephaniah
I read this book called beaten, about a girl named pagie and she had a boyfriend named Ty. Ty started to beat her and she didn't know what to do untill her mom found out he was beating her.
This is a good book it talks about how pagie is in a relationship with Ty and he beats her becaus he is mad about football and he takes it out on her. She does not tell anyone because he told her not to tell anyone but the she gets hurt really bad and thats how her mom finds out he beats her so Ty and pagie br
Jazmine Russell
Everything happened all at once and at times was really slow getting to the point. Also at certain points in the book was very confusing and not detailed enough. Some characters came in at random points in the book and didn't even have anything to do with what's going on.
Maw Mary Myar
Sep 18, 2014 Maw Mary Myar rated it really liked it
I like this book because its really interesting to me of how the story were. Also this story is kind of dedicated to me because I've been through the same kind of situation as the girl(not exactly).
Mikayla
Apr 30, 2013 Mikayla rated it it was amazing
Keah is co-captain on the cheerleading squad and makes good grades. She has a crush on this boy named Ty and when they are finally together everything is perfect. When Keah finds out Ty has problems at home she wants to help him through it and lets him completely take over her life. When Ty starts to get more angry he starts to get physical with Keah. She blames it on herself and still chooses to be with him. One day he went to far and she ended up in the hospital and he was pressed with charge ...more
Mikayla
Oct 06, 2014 Mikayla rated it liked it
Shelves:
i havent read this book yet but i think it would be a very interasting book. i read the back of the book, and it looked like something i was interesting in.
Trisha
Oct 21, 2012 Trisha rated it really liked it
This is a low level, high interest book. Admitting that I've never read any of these books...but have realized that some of our most struggling readers/reluctant readers may need some of these titles as a scaffold to richer, more complex text.

I was most surprised by this series! I think these books would be very appealing to struggling readers. The text is short, font is large and easily read. Best of all the writing is strong and the characters are believable. Very satisfying storytelling!

Lov
Paige is the head cheerleader and her boyfriend, Ty, is the star football player. She thinks they are the perfect couple, but her best friend disagrees. Sadie says that Ty is just too intense and Paige is such a happy-go-lucky type of person. Paige thinks their relatioship is one of those opposites attract kind. Then she finds out about his family life and feels the need to always be there to take care of him since his father is a drunk and doesn't do anything nice for Ty. But when Ty becomes ab ...more
Jackie
Jan 12, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Paige is petite, gorgeous, and head-cheerleader. Ty is athletic, good-looking, and a talented running back for the high school football team. They are an item and Paige is thrilled. Things are going along fine until Ty has a bad game in front of college recruits. She tries to cheer him up and he has no use for it. She walks away and the beating begins.

Beaten is a no-nonsense short story about domestic violence. The ups-and-downs, the beatings and the apologies, the good and the bad. We've all h
Trinity Schaaf
Sep 23, 2015 Trinity Schaaf rated it it was amazing
I really liked it if there were a hundred I'd rate it a hundred
Patricia Pawlowski
Nov 30, 2015 Patricia Pawlowski rated it it was ok
it was ok because the ending was a little confusing for me
Kapria
Jan 20, 2014 Kapria rated it did not like it
I was not impressed with this book. The dialogue was rather dull and I found myself rolling my eyes at the stupidity of the characters. The main character wasn't engaging and it made me want to stop reading it.
Melissa Cruz
it was a sad book but very interesting.
iomai
Dec 09, 2011 iomai rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any
This book was empowering.It teacher young adults about the feeling of domestic violence and how it affects you, people around you,and you well being and judgement. I wish i could rate it more stars.It so deserves a award. But, the way it was written could be better. Like when i was starting to get into it it ended.It should be strung out a little more.Also the names confused me.The back said her name was Keah Robinson and i looked all over for that name but her name was Paige Martin.Not importan ...more
Alfredo.j
I throught the book was good
  • Plan B
  • Talking In The Dark : A Poetry Memoir
  • Bites: Scary Stories to Sink Your Teeth Into
  • Re: Play, Volume 1
  • Because of You (The Wainwright Legacy, #1)
  • Sing Your Pleasure
  • Steve Jobs: Thinking Differently
  • Secret Saturdays
  • Carmen
  • The Laird of Stonehaven
  • Perfect Strangers (Love Letters, #1)
  • Flat Broke: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Greed
  • Tell Us We're Home
  • Defining Dulcie
  • Please Don't Feed the Vampire! (Give Yourself Goosebumps, #15)
  • Troublemaker
  • The Way It Is
  • The Last Invisible Boy
Suzanne Weyn grew up in Williston Park, Long Island, New York. She has three sisters and a brother. As a girl she was very interested in theater and in reading. Louisa May Alcott was her favorite author, but she also read every Sherlock Holmes story. Suzanne lived pretty close to the ocean and going to Jones Beach was one of her favorite activities Even today, if she goes too long without seeing t ...more
More about Suzanne Weyn...

Surviving Southside (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Benito Runs (Surviving Southside)
  • Bad Deal (Surviving Southside)
  • Plan B