Start by marking “Parents And Children” as Want to Read:
Parents And Children

Parents And Children

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Alternate cover edition for ISBN 140030905.
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1941 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Parents And Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parents And Children

Buck
Jan 15, 2011 Buck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicks-dig-it
If you were a girl raised in a ramshackle Victorian family, growing up in a manor with servants’ quarters and a nursery and unreliable plumbing, and if you had a dozen siblings and half-siblings, two of whom killed themselves in a suicide pact on Christmas day, another of whom was killed in the Battle of the Somme, and a fourth, your favourite brother, who died of pneumonia; and if you never had sex in your life, at least not with a man, and quite possibly not with a woman, either; and if you we ...more
Kilian Metcalf
Sep 18, 2013 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kilian by: Mary Ronan Drew
Ivy Compton-Burnett has one of the most intriguing and baffling styles of writing that I have ever encountered. Written almost entirely in dialogue minus tags or attributions, the book challenges the reader to follow along.

Trying to sort out the dialogue of nine (!) children, their parents, grandparents, family friends (I think) and assorted nannies, nurses, and staff, including one child who refers to himself by name in the third person, dares the reader to follow the thread. If you didn't lik
Cecily
Jul 14, 2008 Cecily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, classics
Lots of very mannered, self-consciously clever dialogue - almost like reading a Wildean play script. Superb descriptions of people's tone of voice, mannerisms, emotions, motivation, inner fears, hidden agendas etc. Not something one can skim. Although lots of dialogue, it is not always immediately obvious who is saying what. Most characters are cold and detached, with not much plot happening and nothing resolved at the end.

Large, three-generation (Edwardian?) family, with children from 3 to 24.
Corey
Mar 26, 2011 Corey rated it it was amazing
This is my first Ivy Compton-Burnett but I sense the start of a love affair. This is the best novel I've read in a while, eccentric, moving, surprising, singular. And that she makes the story work almost exclusively through dialog, well, it hits me where I live.
Rosemary
May 19, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as caustic as some of Ivy Compton-Burnett's books - the most malicious characters are secondary (the Cranmers) and there are actually some nice characters - the Marlowes and Nevill, though Nevill is only 3 so he has plenty of time to hone his malicious wit.

The plot, as usual with Ivy C-B, involves a large family, a death (or is it...?) and a remarriage. Unusually, a lot of the characters seem to be happy - though again, many of them have time to grow out of it.

If you read about the aut
Terence
Dec 02, 2009 Terence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hypocrite Lecteur
"People are not at their best, doing that"
Dan Honeywell
This is the first Ivy Compton-Burnett book I've read. I generally love a lot of dialogue but this was simply too much. And worst of all, I predicted both of the two major plot twists. There's something good about this book and I think I'll remember it, especially the youngest child (I've forgotten his name...), but this is not great writing.
Lobstergirl
Jul 15, 2011 Lobstergirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Eric Cantor
Shelves: own, fiction
Pages and pages of the most stilted dialogue imaginable, just barely rescued from utter unreadableness by a bizarre plot twist. I sped-read through the first 175 pages, it was so unpleasant.
Lou Last
Lou Last marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Niall
Niall marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Waldo
Waldo added it
Mar 23, 2016
Sarah Carless
Sarah Carless rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Trever Polak
Trever Polak marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Melford12
Melford12 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
SarahC
SarahC marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Luke Owen
Luke Owen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Lisa Hall
Lisa Hall rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Jill Yates
Jill Yates rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Laura Bittman
Laura Bittman marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Javi Saiz
Javi Saiz marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Tracyene
Tracyene marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Marcine Miller
Marcine Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Luís Blue Yorkie
Luís Blue Yorkie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dame Ivy Compton-Burnett, DBE was an English novelist, published (in the original hardback editions) as I. Compton-Burnett. She was awarded the 1955 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for her novel Mother and Son.
More about Ivy Compton-Burnett...

“Well, the English have no family feelings. That is, none of the kind you mean. They have them, and one of them is that relations must cause no expense.” 1 likes