Foreplay (Succubus Diaries, #0.5)

Foreplay (Succubus Diaries #0.5)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  959 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Before there were the Succubus Diaries, there was FOREPLAY...

How did Jackie Brighton get turned into a succubus? She can’t remember – all she knows is that she woke up in a Dumpster. This short story tells the tale of that night, and sheds a little light on her masters’ motivations.
Published October 16th 2010 by Jill Myles

KC
I read Foreplay in a quick sitting while dinner was cooking, and have to say that it is a brilliant way to get people motivated into reading the series. :)

I've had the Succubus Diaries books in my possession for a couple of months, always promising myself to read them next, and always getting distracted by something else - you know how the fast paced Goodreads world of "What's the next hottest read?" can totally pull you away from one book to read another that just got added to your TBR list? -...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Slightly confusing if you've never read this series before. If the word "succubus" hadn't been in the title I might've been completely lost. I'm going to assume the man that bit her was a vampire but I'm not certain because I'm not sure if he broke the skin. Anyway, how a vampire bite makes one a succubus, I don't know. Seems rather silly to me. There'll be hundreds of succubi around in no time.
Kathy Davie
This is a prequel to the Succubus Diaries. Fourteen whole pages of prequel (268 on the Kindle). Please note that I am giving this book a "4" for the great writing and I'm trying not to let my pissiness get in the way.

I received this eBook from the author.

My Take
Myles is a very good writer, and I still feel gypped on this. It's only as long as a start into a chapter, but the amazing part is how much story Myles managed to tell in this extremely short book without actually giving anything away. Ju...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Having already read book 1 in the series, I really enjoyed Foreplay. If you haven't, then it's definetely the best place to start as it gives you a bit of background information on how Jackie managed to get herself turned into a succubus while being down on her luck.

Talk about having the worst day of your life? You get passed over for a job promotion, because of your looks basically, you try to drown your sorrows away in 2 martinis or 8. And then you are...more
I've been wanting to try the Succubus Diaries series for a while now so when I saw this free prequel novella was available on the Kindle I jumped at the chance to read it.

Although this is described as a prequel I didn't find it made much sense to me. It's a very short story, I didn't know who any of the characters were & I didn't really get what was going on most of the time.

I'd say it would probably be better to wait until you've read at least the first book before picking this up & hop...more
Jeanny
This series was recommended to me by Meigan. I decided to to dip my toe reading this short 16 page prequel to the series. It totally peeked my interest & u look forward to reading book 1 in this series. :) I rate this 4 stars

This book counts towards two of my 2014 YouTube Read A Thone challenge .
1 Book with red in the cover.
2 Book recommended by a friend.
Meigan
Gosh, I miss Jackie and her wayward bunch :)

This is the prequel for the first book of the series, Gentlemen Prefer Succubi. While the story of how Jackie became changed is explained in the first book, this novella explains the whole story, complete with how she used to look before becoming the red haired bombshell she is now (and of course how she ended up in the dumpster). Naturally, both Zane and Noah are in the novella since they were instrumental in turning Jackie into a succubus.
Sara Kate
Short and sweet. I'm curious now to start this series.
Tresa da BookNerdette
Sandra "Jeanz"

MY REVIEW
I downloaded this mini-novella prequel from Amazon.co.uk free!
This book is basically the story of how Jackie Brighton was turned into a succubus. It begins with Jackie sat in the office at work, waiting to hear if she ahs got her dream job, the one she has been working for, for two years. Actually Jackie is told that she hasn't got the job. Even tough Jackie has the academic qualifications needed for the job she is passed over.
So Jackie's mood is what you would probably say is low. She...more
Jackie
Another lovely free read for my NOOK App today, short novella prequel to Gentlemen Prefer Succubi (Succubus Diaries, #1) by Jill Myles
Too short to really say much about this Novella which takes place prior to "Gentlemen Prefer Succubi" but it details the night Jackie Brighton is turned from a rather geeky, overly plump human female into a totally flamboyant and lusciously sexy femme fatale! Hot vampire Zane happens to be outside the bar where Jackie was busy getting smashed after being passed over for a longed for and much needed promotion at work.... Wh...more
Netha
short story about how jackie end up as a succubus.
interesting story how zane pursued jackie to seduce noah.
jackie remind zane to someone he knew a very long time ago. how from the first time zane called jackie princess.

this is something I love about zane
for him jackie is everything.
well too bad jackie can't have both zane & noah but u can't have all your want, don't u??? sometimes u have to make a choice with who you want to spend the rest of your life & it not easy (well, immortal has...more
Telma
Depois de lhe ter sido negada a promoção, que tanto tinha trabalhado para ter, Jackie decide ir para um bar afogar as mágoas em álcool. Ao sair do bar, já bastante embriagada, é mordida por um vampiro que de certa forma se enternece com Jackie e, sabendo que a sua dentada tinha aumentado a libido dela, decide levá-la até Noah, para que esta se transforme numa Succubi. Noah é um anjo caído cujo castigo é matar o seu apetite sexual, que o ataca como se fosse uma fome, uma vez por mês. Quando Jacki...more
Rachel Vorster
Once again, I love Jill Myles. But the prequel leaves too much to the imagination. I was hoping for more: more passion, more detail, more sex. But it was a good teaser for the first Succubus Diaries book (which I adore). It told what happened and how she ended up in a dumpster (LOL). Should Noah have maybe questioned her more as to why she was there wanting to go home with him? Just a thought...
Celine
This prequel to the Succubus Diaries series was a pleasant surprise for me. Foreplay can easily be read within half an hour, but has enough story in it to make you curious for the rest of the books.

We meet geeky Jackie Brighton when she hears her dream-job is about to be filled by a woman way less qualified than her. We get a glimpse of her personality, and I found her voice very entertaining.

What struck me the most about this short is that even though it has a rather dubious name and what looks...more
Maria
I haven’t read yet the Succubus Diaries series by Jill Myles, but after this novella?? I will definitely read the whole series!!! Jackie has the worst day in her life when she get passed over for a job promotion for the job of her dreams. Then she decides to get drunk but that’s a huge mistake!

After a lot of drinks, a strange man appears in front of her, bites her neck and tells her to go and have sex with a total stranger! It’s not enough for you to read? Then, you should know that this strange...more
AngelLeah
This story should not be labeled as a prequel because if you haven't read the series, you don't really care about this.
It's very short and will only take you 10-15 minutes to read.
I haven't started the series yet and wanted to read them in order. This short story tells about a character who gets drunk and has something happen to her. If you don't know anything about the series, you really don't know what has even happened by reading this story. She gets bite by some guy and set up to sleep wit...more
Karyogini
A teaser for the series. I read this after book 1. I didn't want to spoil the story of book 1 by reading this. This book/excerpt shows us what happened before everything went wrong. Book 1 starts with our girl missing some memories... So if you read this book first, you will spoil book 1.
PurplyCookie
This is just a little more background info on how Jackie was found and ultimately turned into a succubus by Noah and Zane. At least that's the advertisement. I expected that this will introduce me to the series and pique my interest. But it failed to do that.

Typically, a prequel will draw upon an awareness of books set later chronologically while still telling an actual story that can stand on its own. This doesn't do that. It's more like the prologue to a book.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @:...more
Lindsay Kendal
I knew this was a short story, but I didn't realise just how short. This isn't the authors fault, it's mine entirely. I should have looked. I'm glad this was free, I love short stories and I'm happy to pay for them. I've also written a couple myself. But not as short as this.

I guess it has wet my whistle a little. I've never read any other books by this author, but now I intend to read the next. I like the authors writing style, easy to read.

There isn't much to say about this since it is so sho...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I can't say a lot about this story since it is only 9 pages long. But you get to see how she became a succubus. And how Zane seems to have reasons for the change and how Noah just falls in the trap. And a bit of Jackie how she was before.

All in all a nice short story to red before book 1. Or afterwards if you want to. You will get a few answers and it is just fun to read more about these characters in the end.

And it just makes me Team Zane even more (but then I am always on that team). He is th...more
Julie Read Our Lips! Book Review Blog
This is a very short story, but it really packs a punch and leaves you hungry for more! A short prequel to the novel Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, it lets you in on how Jackie was transformed into a succubus by a vampire bite. But that’s just the beginning; throw in a fallen angel, a wild one night stand, and a mystery that’s just beginning, and you’ll see why I’m intrigued with this short story.

Download it for free on Amazon.com

I can’t wait to sink my teeth into Gentlemen Prefer Succubi and see wha...more
Michelle McKinney
This was a great beginning to a series and gives us a look into how Jackie becomes a Succubus. In the beginning the book tells how Jackie was going for a promotion and didn’t end up getting and she was horribly upset. To drown out her sorrows Jackie goes to a bar and gets drunk and is told to leave after having one too many. She leaves the bar and things start happening but she isn’t exactly sure what is going on.

I can’t wait to read the first book in this series after reading this novella to le...more
Maria Kim Nguyen
I still don't know if I like Zane. He killed her and dumped her body in a dumpster!!
Sam
Poor Jackie is having a bad day. First she got passed over for a promotion, then whilst indulging in a few (or eight) self pity martinis, she gets kicked out. Could it get any worse? Well, yes, apparently so. Who is the strange man she meets in the ally? Why does she wake up in a dumpster? And who, oh who, is the guy with the blue eyes?

This is only a short story and I'm devastated that this is the case, because I was transfixed and so sorry it ended so soon. I will surely be rushing out to buy G...more
Kristin
It all starts with Jill being turned down for a promotion at her job. She is very upset and drowns her sorrows in martini's. She ends up having one too many and gets kicked out of the bar and end up running into a shady character in the alley. He does something to her that makes everything fuzzy and she ends up doing things that she wouldn't ordinarily do.

This is an extremely short story that sort of sets the tone for the Succubus Diaries series. I have not read any of the other books of the se...more
Of course this story is super short but I liked knowing what happened in the very beginning. We got rather vague details of what actually happened to Jackie that eventful night in the first book. One thing in this story sticks out in my mind and is uttered by her tall, dark mysterious man in the alley.(yes, yes for those of you who have read the books you know who I am talking about..*squeals*) He says, "Fate has brought you back to me." I am not trying to over think this statement until I read...more
Catherine
Very strange. Not sure if I even want to read the next one
Amy
This is very short and made me want to read more.
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Loved, loved, loved this prequel to the Succubus Diaries series! "Foreplay" by Jill Myles was just that: the warm up to the main event!

It really prepares everyone for Gentlemen Prefer Succubi and how Jackie ended up in a dumpster with no memory of the night before. I really enjoyed this short story a great deal and recommend to any who have read the first book or any who are thinking about reading it!
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • One Last Bite
  • Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood, #1.5)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Hellcursed (Shadowfae, #0.5)
  • Stunner (Alexa O'Brien, Huntress, #0.75)
  • The Summons (Shadowlands, #0.5)
  • Fresh Blood
  • Kiss at Your Own Risk (Soulfire, #1)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • Bloodlust
  • Bourbon Affair (Pentacles of Magick #2.5)
  • Out of the Box (On the Edge)
  • I Witch
  • Reunion (Vampires Realm, #3.5)
JILL MYLES is the author of the Succubus Diaries from Pocket Books. Jill also writes as Jessica Clare and Jessica Sims.

A NOTE ABOUT FRIENDING: I will happily friend you back if you friend me! Goodreads is, after all, about discussing books we both love. I will NEVER self-promote my books to you. And if you self-promote your books to me, no matter how nicely, I'm deleting you off my list. Sorry. Go...more
More about Jill Myles...
Wicked Games (Games, #1) Gentlemen Prefer Succubi (Succubus Diaries, #1) Succubi Like It Hot (Succubus Diaries, #2) My Fair Succubi (Succubus Diaries, #3) Zane's Tale (Succubus Diaries, #2.5)

“A rich, mellow voice touched my ears, and I looked up to stare into the most beautiful blue eyes I’d ever seen. He was a blond god – tall, tanned, with a hint of a smile playing on his mouth.” 0 likes