Start by marking “Slide (Slide, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slide (Slide, #1)

Slide (Slide #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  5,736 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth--her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes. She's slid into
Hardcover, First, 250 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Balzer + Bray (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Slide, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
calico Rosenberg --------im not sure if this part shows for other people but im writing this (<--) in case it does, so that the 'spoiler' wouldnt be visible...

the new kid... whos name I am at this second drawinga blank on but want to say begins with "v"(less)
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
25th out of 1,001 books — 6,280 voters
YA Novels of 2012
93rd out of 1,325 books — 10,527 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

Crikey. What a very difficult book to rate. I'm still not sure I made the right decision.

The thought at the forefront of my mind when I finished Slide is that this author should have written realistic fiction about relationships and the psychology of the characters, rather than a mystery. I truly thought that the explorations of Vee's relationships with her father, her dead mother, her sister, her friend and her ex best friend were excellent. I took something memorable away from each and fou
Once my flatmate and I camped out in our lounge room and watched all three seasons of Veronica Mars back to back. We may or may not have also been eating Milo straight from a jumbo size tin with spoons and a bottle of milk, but that is beside the point people, beside the point!

What the actual point is, is that Slide has a similar addictive, easy-to-consume quality. As Veronica Mars, I mean, not Milo. (Although, one could argue it’s two sides of the same coin).

I can’t help but think that the VM
Slide is a refreshing, fast paced YA mystery that has original paranormal elements along with great character building; a very quick read that I would recommend to all fans of thrillers.

Vee is able to "slide" into someone else's head when she gets these fainting spells. This is when she figures out there's a murderer on the loose. I loved this sliding ability. It's original, clever, and it can make for some serious amusement. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't elaborated more thoroughly, t
Slide is a refreshing, energetic YA debut for fans of Veronica Mars.

Sylvia (Vee) can slide into other people bodies, bearing witness to what they are doing, but having no sway over them. It’s pretty much a perfect premise for a sleuthing novel as Vee can sleuth her way around people minds (helping progress the plot forward with conveniently witnessed scenes).

I liked Vee from the first chapter. She is funky without being try-hard. I loved her narration:

She is my sister and my exact opposite in e
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Slide is one of those exciting books that you can (and probably will) read in one sitting, and then gladly re-read it a year or so later. It is a fast-paced thriller with a single paranormal element. I was honestly surprised by how quickly I finished it and how much I enjoyed it.

The idea of slipping into the minds of others is certainly not new or unexplored, but I liked Hathaway’s version of it. Vee’s ability can be defined as a form of psychometry – touching emotionally charged objects causes
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
”Her inky-black hair frames her white face. Her arms lie helpless at her sides, a long slash in each wrist.
This isn’t happening.
That’s when I see what I’m holding in my gloved hands. A long, silver blade.
Oh. Shit.

photo e524b95a-b226-4604-8509-9d4f48f904a8_zps94713e1b.jpg

Vee was diagnosed with narcolepsy but it is so much more than that. If she touches an object that has an emotional imprint on it, she will “slide” into that person and will see the world from his eyes. She cannot control or hear person’s thoughts, she is there to watch. When the
Mimi Valentine
Wow! Slide defines what an awesome murder mystery novel should be like: twisting, original, somewhat creepy yet completely unexpected. I couldn't put this down until I was certain who the killer was, and in this rare case, it wasn't until the very end of the book!

Fast-paced and enticing, this is the kind of novel you should clear your schedule for because you won't be able to stop! Not only is this one of the most surprising mysteries I've read to date (and as a girl who dreams of being the nex

I feel so conflicted about "Slide." On the whole, I felt that it was extremely intriguing and promising but ultimately disappointing.

It really pains me to put this book on my "mehhh" shelf, because I really thought that it could have been something special. But, despite some really good scenes and Hathaway's fluid writing, "Slide" felt like it was constantly stuck in mediocrity.

I actually get a stomachache writing that, because I so wanted to love "Slide"! It was so intriguing. Vee is a
Lindsay Cummings
My Thoughts-
WOW. I loved this book. Love, love, loooooved this book. Do you hear me, Jill Hathaway? I freakin loved your book, woman! :) Here's why:

The lovely. It's done in a way that its easy on the eyes, and the reader is drawn in right from the start. The use of descriptive language is something that I always look for when reading a book, and this one....yes. Just....YES.

Love the cover. It's trippy, is it not? Just like the main character, Vee's "slides".

There is so much I wis
Isamlq usual complaints of predictability, of having unnecessary elements and of telling rather than showing apply to slide.

vee slides into others consciousness... intriguing at first but not as properly executed as i would have liked. the girl simply had a tendency to jump to conclusions; to be led around too easily, quickly. given a set of facts, she always went to the obvious. which is sadly, unbelievable because looking at the whole thing, i could tell who the real culprit was chapters befo
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Sylvia isn't your normal high school girl. She's a narcoleptic, but not only does she have no control sleeping, she slides into a person when there's a strong imprint attached to an item. Kind of creepy if you think about it, but she has no control over it.

No one knows that she slides into people's lives, not even her best friend Rollins. Then one Friday night alone, she slides into a body of someone murdering her sister's best friend Sophie. The killer places a note making it seem Sophie kille
Find this at Scott Reads It
***This review needs to be rewritten because it sounds extremely preposterous***
Slide was a good read, it wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. Slide is the story of Vee (Sylvia) who is diagnosed as a narcoleptic, but she really gets unconscious and slides into our people's bodies. She slide into a person's body just as they murdered her sister's best friend Sophie.

The whole idea of Sliding was very cool but it was very similar to [book:Wake|1661957. The pages flew
Mar 26, 2012 Aeicha rated it 3 of 5 stars
THREE WORDS: Intriguing But Predictable

MY REVIEW: I’m a bit conflicted when it comes to Jill Hathaway’s novel Slide. There are things about this book that I really liked, and things that I either didn’t like or kind of disappointed me.

Everyone believes that Sylvia “Vee” Bell is narcoleptic, but she isn’t. Instead of falling asleep when she passes out, Vee slides into someone else, seeing the world through their perspective for a short time. The only person Vee has ever told about her sliding- he
Veronica Morfi
Rating: 2/5

Slide was a bit disappointing for me. I started this expecting an amazing paranormal mystery, maybe a bit creepy too, but that is not what I got. In Slide, we get introduced to Vee, a girl that everytime she falls asleep she can slide inside someone else's mind and see through their eyes. And one day she slides inside a killer that just murdered her sister's best friend. Still, the police thinks it's a suicide and only Vee knows the truth.

Let me start by saying that I loved the idea b

Sylvia (Vee) has the ability to 'slide' into other people's minds, her abilities are triggered when she touches an object that holds some meaning to the person she 'slides' into. Vee has very little control over her powers and so she finds herself 'sliding' at inconvenient times, like when she is at school. Vee's family and friends believe she suffers from narcolepsy.
Vee inadvertently 'slides' into someone who is holding a bloody knife over her sister's best friend, Sophie. When Vee fin
Mar 13, 2012 Jillyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens, young adults
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Vee Bell is keeping a secret from everyone around her, out of fear that they will think that she's insane. Everyone has been told that she's narcoleptic, which excuses her random blackouts, but she knows that narcolepsy isn't her ailment. When she blacks out, she "slides"- goes into someone else's mind and sees the world from their eyes. It was random, at first, that she slid. But now, she's gaining control. It's because of this gift that she kn
Original review posted here.’s wrong that death is a loss. It’s something you gain. Death is always there, whispering in your ear. It’s in the spaces between your fingers. In your memories. In everything you think and say and feel and wish. It’s always there.

Everyone knows Vee has a problem, they just don’t really know what it is. Diagnosed as narcoleptic, Vee passess out on an increasingly regular basis. What everyone doesn’t know, is that when she’s unconscious, she slides. Vee finds hers
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
WHEEEE! I won this.

Will write a review of it once I read it.

Damn, that was REALLY fast delivery. I was totally not expecting it. IT'S SO PRETTY.

Upon Finishing

DANG. I...was wrong?!

Well, sort of.

Vee is a narcoleptic; she collapses at any time without being able to control it. But what everyone doesn't know, is that when Vee passes out, she slides into someone else's mind.
Whatever she had been touching last, a coat, a button, an earring, she goes into the mind of the person who had imprinted on
Farah Jay
As I started reading SLIDE, I never expected to slide into a book full of a surprising and captivating storyline. SLIDE was definitely one of my most anticipated books of 2012, and I was so glad to get my hands on it. Jill Hathaway's writing was fun, and the flow of the book was good. I never felt bored, and always wanted to turn to the next page.
The main protagonist, Sylvia, known as Vee, has a special power. She slides into people when she passes out, and when she does, she see's the world thr
this review is also posted on Gypsy Book Reviews!

disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

Slide has an interesting premise; I love that Vee is able to slide into other people’s bodies, and then when she slides into a killer’s body… dun dun dun. However, the execution behind the premise makes for a very predictable read.

I liked Vee as a character. Her voice pulled me in right away and hooked me. However, as I read, the book sort of fell apart.
(Source: Purchased on kindle from for only 99p!)
16-year-old Sylvia (Vee), suffers from narcolepsy, or so everyone believes. Instead, when Vee loses consciousness it’s because she has ‘Slid’ into someone else’s mind and can see what they are doing. Unfortunately she can’t control what they are doing, or hear their thoughts though.

Vee has been coping with this problem by simply taking a lot of caffeine tablets, but the sliding is becoming more and more frequent. The only thing Vee can
Puanım 4,5

Bu kitabı sevdim. Cidden. Ergen karakterler beni çekmez ama fantastik oluşu nedeniyle şans vermiş olduğuma sevindim.

Bir kere karakter farklı. Nesi derseniz o uyuşukluk yok, hani genelinde olan. Bir de lise hayatı anlatılsa da içinde macera ve polisiye bol. Fantastiğin yanı sıra.

Sylvia Bell, narkolepsi hastası bir genç kız. Hastalığı ani uyku hali olarak bilinse de aslında insanların hayatlarına izinsiz giriş yapıyor. Kendi babası bile ona inanmazken, hastalığıyla boğuşuyor ve bu sırada
Slide is a story about a pink haired girl named Vee. She’s just your regular teenager, except for the fact that she can “slide” into other people’s minds if she has something of theirs. Sometimes she can help it and sometimes she can’t. When her younger sister’s friend dies of a so-called suicide, Vee must put the puzzle pieces together to find Sophie’s killer.

This book wanted to be a thiller but it didn't meet the mark. It felt too formulated. The main character is a girl who is has traded in h
This is another one of my rewritten reviews, because, like most reviews I wrote back in the day, this one sucked. Plus, this one deserves a glowing review, because it's one of the most accurate and honest portrayals of teenagers I've ever seen. (Especially when compared to the sequel. Let's just pretend that never happened.)

Vee is a very well-rendered protagonist. She makes stupid mistakes, she's a terrible friend to Rollins at times, but by golly is she interesting, and she manages to be sympat
I slid right into this story, and cruised along to the conclusion in two weeks. Since I've been known to dally on a book for a couple of months, that's a high recommendation!
Innovative and clever mystery about a teenage girl who can "slide" into other people's bodies and view life from their eyes, and how she uses this ability to solve a series of murders. Even in the midst of the thriller/terror aspects, the relationship the main character has with her sister was really poignant. I've never read anything quite like it and I hope it's the first of many! Great twists and turns, too.
Много увлекателна книга. За своите 224 страници, които на пръв поглед са нищожни на фона на други издания, "Чужди очи" казва много. Има всичко, което може да направи една книга бестселър: мистерия, криминален елемент, любов, паранормални събития, неочаквани обрати и разкрития! Препоръчвам!
I have no memory of reading this! But apparently I did!
Jill Hathaway’s debut novel is an edge of your seat thriller full of love, lies, and betrayal. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vee has a very strange ability. She can slide into people’s minds and see things through their eyes. This was probably the most interesting aspect of the book. Vee has to be touching something of the person’s that they left an emotional imprint on but you would be surprised what objects hold emotional imprints. Also, when Vee slides into other’s minds, her body is left unconscio
  • Katana (Katana, #1)
  • Harbinger
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • New Girl
  • Fracture (Fracture, #1)
  • Ripper (Ripper, #1)
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • Through to You
  • All These Lives
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
  • Elemental (Auri, #1)
  • Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
  • The Vanishing Game
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Touching the Surface
Jill Hathaway lives in the Des Moines area with her husband and young children. Having earned her BA in English Education from the University of Northern Iowa and her MA in Literature from Iowa State University, she teaches high school English and dual credit courses for Des Moines Area Community College.

SLIDE, her debut, was released from Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins in March 2012. The sequel, IMP
More about Jill Hathaway...

Slide (2 books)