Start by marking “Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1

Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1 (Land of the Blindfolded #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,741 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
A high school girl has the power to see glimpses of the future. Now she must learn how to live in a world of people "blindfolded" to everything but the present.

Is Kanade's special ability a gift - or a curse?

Sometimes high school student Ōtsuka Kanade sees glimpses of a person's future. But when she glimpses an unfortunate incident coming, can she - should she - change it?
Published November 1st 2004 by CMX (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
927 books — 3,387 voters
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Awesome Manga
216 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Raiveran Rabbit
Jul 22, 2008 Raiveran Rabbit rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves manga or a good story with real characters who still have hope.
Don't be deceived. This is not a typical shoujo manga. In this story are simple but beautiful characters and threads of deeper sadness and hope running through the tapestry of the overall message of human relations. Without exception, every person I've lent this to has been captured by it and has wanted more.
Kelcey
Jun 13, 2016 Kelcey rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance
I read the first 5 volumes of this series (because that's as many as I could get a hold of). It is super cute and I really like the characters and the simplicity of handling daily life issues with a splash of ethics.A very enjoyable quick read especially for those who like realistic romance with a small splash of paranormal.
Cera
Jan 28, 2009 Cera rated it really liked it
I liked the way this series is both a romance & a look at the responsibilities of power, and I also like the fact that unlike SO MANY shoujo romances it avoids the 'does he, doesn't he?' questions and gets straight to figuring out what the relationship means to the characters. It just gets better & better as it goes on.
Lottie Eve
3.5 Stars!
Very, very cute ^_^
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jan 05, 2013 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is a beautiful read about three main characters (two in this volume and one more will be introduced in later volumes) who have special gifts - either the ability to see the future or the past.

Contrary to what you would expect, the focus in the story is on relationships and the consequences of dealing with special powers in every day life situations - not on the powers themselves. The psychology, ethics, emotions, re
Lil' Violet
Aug 09, 2011 Lil' Violet rated it it was ok
Land of the blindfolded

Art: Basic shojo girly very 1990's looking flashy but clean B

Characters: Kanade, arou, Kanade can see the future while arou can see the past and thats about it they don't really have much of a personality beyond their shojo stereotypes of naive dumb girl with powers and gruff stand offish boy who falls for girl -shrugs- D

Story: Wonderful idea sloppy exposition and there are two bonus manga as well that takes up the later half of the book. Kanade can see the future while a
Jalyn Arianne
Dec 09, 2013 Jalyn Arianne rated it liked it
Why haven't I tried reading mangas before? I realized how I miss watching anime. I need to look at gorgeous animes again. HAHAHA

In here, we'll meet Kanade (the girl who can see the future of a person), Arou (the transferred boy who can see the past of a person's life). I enjoyed reading the story since I have been reading english novels and I haven't tried light reading since. The plot is not that heavy and it's not really an extravagant plot but it is still interesting.

If you were given a chanc
Tawnie
Feb 18, 2008 Tawnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-romance
Grades: 7 to 12 Genre: Manga, Drama
Kaneda Outsuke has a secret. When she touches others, sometimes she can see their future. Because of her positive attitude, Kaneda can not help but try to change the future of those she comes in contact with, despite the consequences. She does not want others to suffer unnecessarily if she can do something about it. She soon meets Arou Naitou, a boy with ability to see the past, and Masahiro Namiki, another boy who also can see the future. While Arou and Masahi
Paul
May 25, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing
Bani M
Oct 20, 2009 Bani M rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I ended up loving this series but this volume and volume two were not very impressive. It just seemed pedestrian in art, tone, and character interactions. I kept reading for some reason. Around volume 3 when Morita is introduced and Namiki flowers as a character I became completely hooked, immersed, and in love with the characters. The plot which seemed ludicrous in the beginning becomes more developed and convincing. Even the art seemed to improve with everything else. It consistently reminded ...more
Theresia
I usually stick to shounen manga, but among the few shoujo ones, this title is simply outstanding though at first I thought that it's just another your focus-on-the-acceptance-and-being-yourself-issue like most shoujo mangas are about.

Day-to-day high school life and teen romance aside, Mekakushi no Kuni (published as "Land of the Blindfolded" in the USA and "Beyond the Blindfold" in Indonesia) offers a well managed plot, heart-warming story and respectable characters. Speaking of the characters,
Dyah
Tired of reading novels, I re-read my old manga collection. Beyond the Blindfold is one of my personal favorites; Aro Naito & Kanade Otsuka are one of my favorite couples of all time.

It's about high school students, but not the ordinary ones. Aro can 'see' the past and Kanade can sometimes 'see' the future when they touch someone (or in Aro's case, something). Dealing with this supernatural powers is not easy, and Aro and Kanade support each other. You guess it, yes, they fell in love with e
Danielle
Jul 26, 2007 Danielle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys warm shoujo manga
Shelves: manga
This particular mangaka excels at making heart-warming stories about love and friendship in school and out of it. Many of her series feature some supernatural element. In Land of the Blindfolded, the main characters see peoples' futures and pasts when they touch them.

This of course makes romance and everyday interaction a challenge and moral dilemma. Like so many of her other stories, self-acceptance, making connections to others no matter what bitterness they carry, love and friendship feature
Lord
Aug 19, 2008 Lord rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, supernatural
This manga was originaly a one-shot and the author says herself that she "had no idea where the story should go or even be about". So we can't expect miracles from the frist volume, even more because this was the author's first continuing series. Also, don't expect much from the artwork. It's average, uninventive shojo style with very, very simple backgrounds. Traditionally bad paper and printing quality from CMX doesn't help, either.I hope this series will get better later, though, because I bo ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
The blurb was promising but I was very disappointed by this manga. The art is somehow poor and the story, well, it seems that there's no story at all. According to what the author says on the talk's page this manga wasn't programmed to be a long series and the reader can see that.

I couldn't feel the character in the right way. They're just scrapped and they're not that deep. OK, it may be the first volume but I'm not reading further. Especially because there are two short stories in this volume
Ameru
Apr 18, 2008 Ameru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: komik
i read the indonesian version of this comic series, which is called behind the blindfold. Another kind of stories that make you more positive about the idea that like what John Lennon said, "there's a great woman behind every idiot...":D. But the main idea about people with six sense which can see the past and the future is fun to read! The love problems between the characters are also interesting...
Joy
Another great example of high school shojo that does cute and interesting things within the confines of the formula. There's nothing groundbreaking here, and Kanade is like every genki shojo protagonist ever, but overall the effect is charming. I've already requested the next four volumes from the library.
Azzahro Wijaya
Jun 02, 2011 Azzahro Wijaya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I really love these series. The triangle love among Kanade, Arou, and Namiki is a really interesting story. when the author wrote about Namiki's past, I was really touched. Namiki found his new life with Kanade and Arou, and his pets... and finally he can re-arranged his life and make a good relationship with his family.
Kristen
Feb 08, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels
Rereading the first part of the series so I can catch up on it... It's about a girl who can see people's future upon contact and a boy who can see the past that she ends up liking and dating. Add in another boy who can see the future, but has to concentrate to, who is also in love with her. A cute love triangle type series. :)
Kristine Hansen
Oct 04, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A girl who can see the future of who she touches...a boy who can see the past. Can they make a difference...do they want to? An interesting story full of conflict and interesting characters. I love how cheerful and positive Kanade is despite her gift. She's a girl I want to know better. I can't wait to read the rest!
AryaTheFangirl
Mar 24, 2016 AryaTheFangirl rated it it was ok
I didn't like this as much as I thought I would. The problem the main wanted to fix was her best friend's guy trouble :/ this is only the first volume though and I'll probably give the second a go before deciding if I like the series or not.
Andrew Pritchard
Jun 07, 2014 Andrew Pritchard rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, asia
I liked the artwork and the premise of the story sounds good, but over all I found it a bit wishy-washy. If you're into mangas about high school romance then this just might be for you. Me personally I like a bit of craziness added into the mix.
Dini
May 12, 2008 Dini rated it liked it
Recommended to Dini by: Cici
Shelves: manga
Di Indonesia diterbitkan PT Elex Media Komputindo dengan judul Beyond The Blindfold. Shoujo manga tentang kehidupan remaja dan percintaan di sekolah, dengan bumbu kekuatan magis untuk melihat masa lalu dan masa depan. Gambarnya punya efek sinematis yang unik.
earthy
Feb 24, 2009 earthy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga
Nice art, interesting concept (our heroine can see the future when she touches someone; our hero can see the past). There's not much plot going on yet, but I'm intrigued enough by the characters and the idea to try another volume.
Anne K.
Jan 28, 2010 Anne K. rated it really liked it
One of my favorite manga series. Definitely a must for anyone who has a secret love of shojo settings but can't stand the...shojo-ness. More serious and more realistic in many ways without (for the most part) going overly maudlin.
Nina
Mar 22, 2015 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sakura-tsukuba
Saya suka sejak volume 1. Selain itu saya emang ngefans sama Sakura sensei sih. Artworknya halus dan keren, ceritanya juga bagus. Cerita ini berkembang, baik karakter maupun cara mereka menggunakan kemampuan unik mereka. Romensnya juga gak kalah seru!
Karaoke OK
Apr 08, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-favorites
[Series Length: 9 volumes / Read: volumes 1-9]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Snow
Aug 11, 2008 Snow rated it really liked it
reviewing for No Flying No Tights
Karla
Jul 22, 2009 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cute concept. Nice light romance.
Jessaroo
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Tears of a Lamb Volume 1
  • Dazzle, Volume 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Volume 01
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
  • Pearl Pink, Vol. 01
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Othello, Volume 1
  • Wanted
  • From Far Away, Vol. 01
  • The Beads Club
Sakura Tsukuba (筑波 さくら TSUKUBA Sakura) is a Japanese manga-ka who currently works for Hakusensha, the publisher of LaLa and LaLa DX, both popular manga magazines for young girls.

She is best known for Land of the Blindfolded (Mekakushi no Kuni), her first published series, and Penguin Revolution, both of which has been licensed in English by CMX. She has also released numerous other one-shots, some
More about Sakura Tsukuba...

Land of the Blindfolded (9 books)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 2 (Land of the Blindfolded, #2)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 3 (Land of the Blindfolded, #3)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 4 (Land of the Blindfolded, #4)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 5 (Land of the Blindfolded, #5)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 6 (Land of the Blindfolded, #6)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 7 (Land of the Blindfolded, #7)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 8 (Land of the Blindfolded, #8)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 9 (Land of the Blindfolded, #9)