I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From 'shotclog' a Yorkshire term for a companion only tolerated because he is paying for the drinks to Albanian having 29 words to describe different kinds of eyebrows, the languages of the world are full of amazing, amusing and illuminating words and expressions that will improve absolutely everybody's quality of life. All they need is this book!

This bumper volume gather...more
ebook
Published August 5th 2010 by Particular Books

To ask other readers questions about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

Lavinia
I wish there was a way of remembering everything I wanted to. I started taking notes at the beginning, but I gave up pretty soon. Unfortunately, the last third (when you're really pissed by its length) is - subjectively speaking- the most interesting.
Dorin Budusan
Oct 11, 2010 Dorin Budusan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Although I didn't read all of it, it's a really funny book, from which you will learn a lot of funny words and all kinds of languages, words that you will probably never use.
moshimoshineko
Some of the creditations to languages have to be more closely edited. Also, some of the expressions are outdated or very rarely used. Interesting book, though.
Rhian Davies
I bought this book because I am a massive word geek and I am currently running a blog about strange and obscure words. It's a fascinating read, however I was disappointed to find several mistakes. One of the Welsh words mentioned (lledorweddle) should be 'lledorwedd', while the full spelling of Llanfair PG (you know the one) was incorrect. These, along with a few other examples, made me wonder how many other words were incorrect throughout the book. But maybe my pedantry stems from the fact that...more
Bob Hartley
I don't rate Jacot de Boinod as a writer. He's sort of enthusiastic about language but seems a bit under-informed. Lots of the words in the book already have an English word for the concept, like "giving someone a look that tells them you're annoyed". As in leering? Or scowling? Some of the linguistic terms he uses are misused too.

The thing is, I read it cover to cover. I actually put it down, went for a job interview, then came back and picked it up again. Glad I've only loaned it from the libr...more
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Onyxx
Onyxx marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Tanya Reber
Tanya Reber marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Cree Lucas
Cree Lucas marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jessica Harvey
Jessica Harvey marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Lovebooks
Lovebooks marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sara Frutuoso
Sara Frutuoso marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Pj
Pj marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
verbava
verbava marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Bookewyrm
Bookewyrm marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jen Crady
Jen Crady marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Rae M.
Rae M. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
  • The Last Speakers: The Quest to Save the World's Most Endangered Languages
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • I is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How it Shapes the Way We See the World
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The F-Word
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages
  • In Other Words: A Language Lover's Guide to the Most Intriguing Words Around the World
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World The Wonder of Whiffling: And Other Extraordinary Words in the English Language Toujours Tingo