Start by marking “I Never Knew There Was a Word for It” as Want to Read:
I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From 'shotclog' a Yorkshire term for a companion only tolerated because he is paying for the drinks to Albanian having 29 words to describe different kinds of eyebrows, the languages of the world are full of amazing, amusing and illuminating words and expressions that will improve absolutely everybody's quality of life. All they need is this book!

This bumper volume gather
ebook
Published August 5th 2010 by Particular Books

To ask other readers questions about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

Lavinia
I wish there was a way of remembering everything I wanted to. I started taking notes at the beginning, but I gave up pretty soon. Unfortunately, the last third (when you're really pissed by its length) is - subjectively speaking- the most interesting.
Rhian Davies
I bought this book because I am a massive word geek and I am currently running a blog about strange and obscure words. It's a fascinating read, however I was disappointed to find several mistakes. One of the Welsh words mentioned (lledorweddle) should be 'lledorwedd', while the full spelling of Llanfair PG (you know the one) was incorrect. These, along with a few other examples, made me wonder how many other words were incorrect throughout the book. But maybe my pedantry stems from the fact that ...more
Dorin Budusan
Oct 11, 2010 Dorin Budusan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Although I didn't read all of it, it's a really funny book, from which you will learn a lot of funny words and all kinds of languages, words that you will probably never use.
Tania
Some of the creditations to languages have to be more closely edited. Also, some of the expressions are outdated or very rarely used. Interesting book, though.
Kerry
Did you know there are words for snow in 5 different languages? There is a lot of that in here which is not very interesting. Did you know there are words in other languages which sound like English words but are false cogitates. Yeah, that was even less interesting. There were far too many lists of these sorts of things in here.

Basically, the only thing that kept me reading (a few pages at a time over probably 18 months) was the sections on idioms. The variety of ways different cultures express
Bob Hartley
I don't rate Jacot de Boinod as a writer. He's sort of enthusiastic about language but seems a bit under-informed. Lots of the words in the book already have an English word for the concept, like "giving someone a look that tells them you're annoyed". As in leering? Or scowling? Some of the linguistic terms he uses are misused too.

The thing is, I read it cover to cover. I actually put it down, went for a job interview, then came back and picked it up again. Glad I've only loaned it from the libr
Caitlin Fitch
Caitlin Fitch marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Aostergren
Aostergren marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jennifer Knight
Jennifer Knight marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Mjr
Mjr marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Dormiensa
Dormiensa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Tinneal
Tinneal marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Dominique Wangler
Dominique Wangler marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Mariana Botelho Santos
Mariana Botelho Santos marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Figgy
Figgy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Maxim
Maxim marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
P.a.jayaprakash
P.a.jayaprakash marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Peter Kutchen
Peter Kutchen marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Lyg
Lyg marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Dodo
Dodo marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Fernando Meyer
Fernando Meyer marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Alva Cheung
Alva Cheung marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The F-Word
  • I is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How it Shapes the Way We See the World
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
  • The Last Speakers: The Quest to Save the World's Most Endangered Languages
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • Death Sentences: How Cliches, Weasel Words and Management-Speak Are Strangling Public Language
The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World The Wonder of Whiffling: And Other Extraordinary Words in the English Language