Start by marking “I Never Knew There Was a Word for It” as Want to Read:
I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From 'shotclog' a Yorkshire term for a companion only tolerated because he is paying for the drinks to Albanian having 29 words to describe different kinds of eyebrows, the languages of the world are full of amazing, amusing and illuminating words and expressions that will improve absolutely everybody's quality of life. All they need is this book!

This bumper volume gather
ebook
Published August 5th 2010 by Particular Books

To ask other readers questions about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Knew There Was a Word for It

Lavinia
I wish there was a way of remembering everything I wanted to. I started taking notes at the beginning, but I gave up pretty soon. Unfortunately, the last third (when you're really pissed by its length) is - subjectively speaking- the most interesting.
Rhian Davies
I bought this book because I am a massive word geek and I am currently running a blog about strange and obscure words. It's a fascinating read, however I was disappointed to find several mistakes. One of the Welsh words mentioned (lledorweddle) should be 'lledorwedd', while the full spelling of Llanfair PG (you know the one) was incorrect. These, along with a few other examples, made me wonder how many other words were incorrect throughout the book. But maybe my pedantry stems from the fact that ...more
Dorin Budusan
Oct 11, 2010 Dorin Budusan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Although I didn't read all of it, it's a really funny book, from which you will learn a lot of funny words and all kinds of languages, words that you will probably never use.
Tania
Some of the creditations to languages have to be more closely edited. Also, some of the expressions are outdated or very rarely used. Interesting book, though.
Kerry
Did you know there are words for snow in 5 different languages? There is a lot of that in here which is not very interesting. Did you know there are words in other languages which sound like English words but are false cogitates. Yeah, that was even less interesting. There were far too many lists of these sorts of things in here.

Basically, the only thing that kept me reading (a few pages at a time over probably 18 months) was the sections on idioms. The variety of ways different cultures express
Bob Hartley
I don't rate Jacot de Boinod as a writer. He's sort of enthusiastic about language but seems a bit under-informed. Lots of the words in the book already have an English word for the concept, like "giving someone a look that tells them you're annoyed". As in leering? Or scowling? Some of the linguistic terms he uses are misused too.

The thing is, I read it cover to cover. I actually put it down, went for a job interview, then came back and picked it up again. Glad I've only loaned it from the libr
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Dodo
Dodo marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Fernando Meyer
Fernando Meyer marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Alva Cheung
Alva Cheung marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Clynn
Clynn marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Allison Hill
Allison Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Lindea
Lindea marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Anouck Guay
Anouck Guay marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Nat
Nat added it
Feb 21, 2015
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Βασιλική
Βασιλική marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Zui Cide
Zui Cide marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
  • The F-Word
  • I is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How it Shapes the Way We See the World
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • The Last Speakers: The Quest to Save the World's Most Endangered Languages
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • Ambrose Bierce's Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World Toujours Tingo: First Edition The Wonder of Whiffling: And Other Extraordinary Words in the English Language