Start by marking “Katharine Graham's Washington” as Want to Read:
Katharine Graham's Washington

Katharine Graham's Washington

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As a fitting epilogue to a life intimately linked to Washington, D.C., Pulitzer Prize winner Katharine Graham, the woman who transformed The Washington Post into a paper of record, left behind this lovingly collected anthology of writings about the city she knew and loved, a moving tribute to the nation’s capital.

To Russell Banks, it is a place where “no one is in charge a
Published November 11th 2003 by Vintage (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Katharine Graham's Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katharine Graham's Washington

A really interesting collection. Whether one is interested in politics, journalism, society, or D.C. itself, there's something in this book of interest. I found myself wanting to read more about all sorts of things after reading this.

I loaned it to a coworker after we watched Obama's inauguration together, and she commented on the transition as the Bush family left the White House on the day the Obama family moved in. There's a story in this collection about just such a transition.

It's a large
Katharine Graham really loved Washington. She REALLY loved Washington. I think she loved Washington even more than I love it. Which is saying a great deal.

Katharine Graham's Washington is a collection of stories, articles, cartoons, and even a poem or two, each of which says something special about my favorite city. Kay Graham collected them over the course of her lifetime and cherished her collection as lovingly as can be imagined. When she passed away, this collection was found among her posse
This is my all time favorite book. Katharine's writing style and the amazing information, humor, and history in this book make it the must read for anyone interested in not only America's history but the cultural and social blending from around the world. She gives us so much to think about and offers a perspective few can.
I haven't finished this one actually. I checked it out three times from the library and decided to find a paperback copy to finish someday as the hardcover was too bulky. Great stories told in the first person that inform on so many levels. I truly enjoy learning about the traditions and culture of our nation's capital.
Anna Hickman
An interesting collection of essays about life in DC from the early 1900s to late 1980s. I think I liked Graham's introductions to each essay as much, if not more, than each essay. Makes me want to further research not only certain eras in DC but also certain personnages and locales.
Ms. Graham's influence on Washington was amazing for an unelected private citizen. She encourages me that people can make a difference without needing the resources of a politician and all the shackles that come with them.
Reminds me of my 2nd hometown, DC. Lots of fun vignettes and memories of the District--gives you a nice feel for the city, its inhabitants, and its happenings.
Jan 20, 2014 Taryn added it
Shelves: abandoned
As much as it pains me to not finish reading a book, I finally had to give up on this one, and I barely got anywhere in it. It just wasn't as interesting as I expected
Vikki Neil
One of the more interesting stories about a strong woman in the sixties. Her life was truly interesting...and not without its own struggles.
this is a great book of many short stories of history and events in washington d.c.
Sarah Leong
Fascinating insight into the politics of the capital of the US of A, Washington
holy crap, i love katherine graham.
This lady was a good writer
Sarah Carlson
Sarah Carlson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Pete Iseppi
Pete Iseppi is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2015
M added it
Oct 04, 2015
Liptonfred marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Brigid marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Mitchell DeVore
Mitchell DeVore marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Vicky Lisle
Vicky Lisle marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Jinhee Kim
Jinhee Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Jerald Gross
Jerald Gross marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital
  • Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's Capital: The Masons and the Building of Washington, D.C.
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader
  • The General and Mrs. Washington: The Untold Story of a Marriage & a Revolution
  • Memoirs, 1925-1950
  • At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends
  • My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton
  • Dream City: Race, Power, and the Decline of Washington, D.C.
  • Mr. Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream
  • If You Knew Suzy: A Mother, a Daughter, a Reporter's Notebook
  • The Natural: The Misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton
  • The Woman at the Washington Zoo: Writings on Politics, Family, and Fate
  • The Oblivion Seekers
Katharine Meyer Graham was an American publisher. She led her family's newspaper, The Washington Post, for more than two decades, overseeing its most famous period, the Watergate coverage that eventually led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon. Her memoir, Personal History, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1998.
More about Katharine Graham...