Start by marking “An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)” as Want to Read:
An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)

An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Sequel to Good to Know It's been almost a year since William lost his parents and left the only life he knew for a new home in Canada. But now there's nothing William loves more than being with his two new dads. His uncle Jerry McKenzie adopted him and then married David Loewenberger, and William is learning what it means to be part of a family. But despite all the love an ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about An Earlier Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Earlier Heaven

Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
49th out of 326 books — 486 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneSomething Like Summer by Jay BellLatakia by J.F.  Smith
M/M Books Written By Men
446th out of 1,003 books — 634 voters

More lists with this book...

Deeze
3.5

This was a lovely follow on to book one.

Jerry and David are still the perfect couple.

William is still my favourite, and it was lovely to see him start to grow.

Cory is an amazing boy/man. Instead of bowing to pressure and the ugliness of life, Cory tried to fight back. Luckily for him he met William, and was given the opportunity to be the man he was destined to be.

I would of liked to of seen a little more on how things were handled with the school regarding Cory. It just felt like Jerry and D
Erastes
REALLY not my cup of tea. It wasn't a bad story - although I would guess that the previous story was better - but like a good few of these gay family contemporaries, it's so full of sugar that I felt i was going into diabetic shock.

The gay husbands did nothing but bill and coo and tell each other how beautiful they were, and how good a father they were to their incredibly short son, and they all spent all their other time either having mind blowing sex or telling said son how wonderful HE is.

Th
Penny
Zahra
Good to Know was pretty amazing and this one certainly keeps up that momentum.
William really doesn't have an easy time, but he's got two dads who love him to bits and that makes up for a lot.
I see a D.W.Marchwell book and I buy it. Don't even need to read the blurb.
I know I'll enjoy it and lose sleep because I want to finish it so badly.
Cole Riann
The star character of this sequel is William, who previously wasn’t explored as much as I had hoped. We largely saw him from the outside in and rarely got a glimpse into the difficulties of his new life. He plays a large part here, as we see him struggle to understand the very adult situation that his friend Cory is going through and issues that he is finally starting to work through, like death. It made me remember when I was young and wanted to know everything that was going on even though I w ...more
Adara
It's been a while since I read the first story, Good to Know, and so maybe my comparison is a bit off/flawed due to my memory, but An Earlier Heaven felt like it moved much slower all the way through. Slow enough that I actually read some other stories while I was in the middle of this one, which I almost never do. There were several internal thought-type passages that felt relatively extraneous and repetitive, and their removal might have helped fix the pacing of the story (for me).

You don't ge
Mel Bradley
“Good to Know” begins with Jerry McKenzie, an artist who is known for being a recluse and anti-social, gets a surprising gift on his doorstep – his school-age nephew, William. Jerry has no idea how to raise a child, or even if he wants to keep him, so he grabs on to the first person offering help – David. David is William’s teacher and wants to be sure that William is being taken care of after hearing his story – so he does what every good teacher would do, he swings by Jerry’s house for a home ...more
Bookbee
I loved the first novel in this series, Good to Know, so much that I was a little wary of reading this sequel because I really, really didn't want to be disappointed. I wasn't!

The story picks up about a year after the first and showcases how the small family has grown and come together, even so far as adding an at-risk teen to the mix. While there is no great 'conflict' to overcome, there certainly is serious and familiar drama that the family must face and help young William to cope with. And
Simsala
A story that could have been told in less than 10 pages blown up to 230 - unbelievable
Wendy Ann
I think I loved this sequel more than the first book. The story switched off points of view – even including William’s (the son) – which provides greater insight into each of the characters. Jerry and David are already an established couple in this sequel and there’s no angst in their relationship. The angst comes in the form of life’s trials that affect their son and how they go about dealing with each of those. The addition of Cory to the story was a welcome surprise as is learning there’s one ...more
Susan
Sometimes the sequel doesn't live up to the original story but I really enjoyed this second visit to Jerry, David and William. Cory was a great friend for William and this lovely family just gets stronger and stronger. I'm glad to know I still have one more book to read in this series and I'm really looking forward to it.
Nerine Petros
I actually liked the sequel better than the original...funnily enough. The charaters were more rounded, I founded it easier to read the story as a whole and the only thing I could have asked for was a more relaxed ending, it just felt a little rushed. A good, relaxing story with all the ups and downs of real family life. Nx
Rossy
Nov 12, 2010 Rossy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rossy by: Eyre Monroe
I really like the story itself, but there's something about the writing that just doesn't click with me. If you're looking for a sweet story though, it fits the bill.
Mandi
*sighs*

That is the happy sigh of reading such a great book. I loved this sequel. I loved reading more about David and Jerry and the family that they made.

Sara Gatto
Seguito del romanzo "Buono a sapersi", troviamo ancora Jerry e David alle prese con l'adolescenza di William, con l'aggiunta di un nuovo personaggio, Cory, un sedicenne in difficoltà.
In questo romanzo, viviamo la vita quotidiana di questa coppia speciale che sta facendo di tutto per dare un'adolescenza perfetta ad un ragazzino di undici anni molto più maturo della sua età anagrafica.
Direi che se la cavano molto bene, soprattutto perché affrontano diverse prove davvero difficili anche nelle famig
Ebook Addict Reviews
Once again D.W. Marchwell has shown himself to be a master at taking us right into the hearts of minds of the people that come to life in his books. One of Marchwell’s strongest points is the depth, emotional and otherwise, that we experience. He’s an observer and he knows people; he takes us with him as he explores his characters and their lives, what makes them tick.

I was somewhat trepidatious to dive into An Earlier Heaven, the sequel to his first book Good to Know, mostly because I didn’t kn
Bookwatcher
This book is the sequel of Good to Know, and you must read the first book to understand it. Starting one year after the first book, it's another great story, of two married men and their eleven years old kid.
I recommend it to everyone searching a good romance, with any angst. There is just a quick "drama" when a new character is added to the story (Cory, a teenager and friend of Willian).

If I like so much why I'm not giving more than 3 stars (and to be honest almost gave just 2)

My first proble
Valérie
Avis aux lectrices, ce livre est le tome 2 d'une trilogie, je vous recommande de lire le premier (bon à savoir) avant d'entamer celui-ci car vous risqueriez d’être un peu perturbées par certains passages qui reviennent sur leur passé commun.

Dans le premier tome nous avions appris à connaître David et Jerry, hommes dans la quarantaine aux antipodes l'un de l'autre mais qui vont grâce à William se rencontrer, se découvrir et surtout s'aimer. Nous retrouvons notre couple marié au moment où nous l'a
Diane
I love this series, the idea of two older men, their relationship, a family with William, then how Cory figures into their family, the issues he has to deal with, how that affects William, and the fact that Jerry and David would love it if they did not have to expose William to anything unhappy if they could (and don't we all feel that way about the innocence in life?).

These are great characters, very real situations, and I really like the way it is dealt with - this is one of those books where
I wish it could have explored more of davids family fair. Liked cory addittion to the family but book#1 was better.
Madison Parker
William is such a sweetheart; I want to adopt him myself! I have really enjoyed watching the relationship between William and his dads develop over time. Jerry's love for William and insecurities about being a good father never failed to tug at my heartstrings. I love these two!

Jerry's relationship with his husband, David, is sweet and satisfying as well, but didn't hold my interest as much. I would have enjoyed this book just as much without any of the sex scenes. That's actually a testament to
Joseph Wychico
This sequel of Good to Know furthers the story of David, Jerry, and William as they continue their lives together.

I had to stop many times while reading both of these titles, mostly because I can only hope that my life will find that happiness that David, Jerry and William found in each other. This time around, the story is told from the perspectives of each of the characters: William, David, Jerry, and a new face, Cory. The troubles they go through will pull at your heartstrings and at the end
Karen K
**4.5 upped to a 5**
Great sequel to Good To Know - I love D.W.'s writing style and the characters he created, they're like familiar friends in my life now. It was great seeing things from William's point of view and adding Cory into the mix, as well. Jerry and David are still a fabulous couple and I loved the strides they've made in their relationship and the pride and love they have for "their" son. I also have to admit to connecting so much with this book because of the location and the famili
Becky Condit
4 1/2 stars!
I loved this book and can hardly wait to dig into ROOTS AND WINGS, the third book in the series. Mr. Marchwell develops such wonderful characters you just don’t want to leave them behind when a book ends. As a series, it’s almost like memories that we love to go over again and again, to recall what happened next and how what looked like a terrible situation actually turned out well or at least all right in a different way.
Please see my complete review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.c
Neet
A continuation of the Good To Know series when we meet again artist Jerry who is now partner of David raising young William. William though very intelligent has few friends and is somewhat shy. The only friendship that William seems to have is with is polite and kind-hearted teen Cory. Cory is 16 and teaches William or Billiam as he calls him soccer and more. Cory seems to be hiding a secret about his home life...what could it be and how will it affect William and his dads. Love this series and ...more
Kinny
The only thing that annoyed me was the numerous sex scenes. I skipped those a lot because I really wanted to know what happened to Cory. I love it when a good guy getting all the tough breaks gets rescued by loving people. I just couldn't get there fast enough because Jerry and David kept mauling each other in detail.

Overall it was a sweet and wonderful story with some heart breaking scenes from William and Cory.
Lily
I liked this story although not as much as I wanted to. The MCs are nice, likable men and William is a cutie but the Dad's really need to get over their fixation on just how short William is. After a while the "short" issue was annoying to read. I did however like the addition of Cory and look forward to the next story in the series.
Lee
Feb 22, 2011 Lee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
Very nice sequel to Good to Know. I love Mr. Marchwell's writing, it's flows so effortlessly and doesn't distract from the story. The characters in An Earlier Heaven are very likable, entertaining, and fully developed. I look forward to reading more from Mr. Marchwell.

I give An Earlier Heaven three stars.

Romance
I liked book one, it was charming a steamy at the same time. This one took effort to get through. It's a true romance, a very sweet sappy romance. The sex scenes were great, but the rest of the story was just too much "I'm so happy. I'm so in love. I'm so lucky." it was killing me.
  • Love Means... Courage (Farm, #0.5)
  • Earth and Sky (Clouds and Rain #2)
  • We Danced
  • Taste (Horizons, #2)
  • Texas Winter (Texas, #2)
  • A Nanny for Nate
  • Daniel's Dream (Men of Charlestown, #3)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • Her Two Dads
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • Rock Paper Scissors
  • The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • Worth the Coming Home (Love's Value, #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Rain (Rules of Engagement, #2)
When D. W. Marchwell is not teaching future generations the wonders of science, he can usually be found hiking, writing, riding horses, trying new recipes, or searching for and lovingly restoring discarded antique furniture. A goofy and incurable romantic, D.W. admits that his stories are inspired by actual events and has a soft spot for those where boy not only meets boy but also turns out to be ...more
More about D.W. Marchwell...

Good to Know (3 books)
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • Roots and Wings (Good to Know, #3)
Good to Know (Good to Know, #1) Falling (Falling #1) When Memory Fails (Falling #2) Roots and Wings (Good to Know, #3) Sins of the Father