Pride and Joy

Pride and Joy

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  12 reviews
PRIDE & JOY is a suspenseful thriller that chillingly investigates the powers of familial relationships and hidden pasts. After his wife's tragic death, former criminal Jimmy Kavanagh is struggling to raise his young daughter while regaining the love of his rebellious teenage son. But when the psychotic killer that Jimmy betrayed years ago comes looking for vengeance,...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Vertigo

Mark Desrosiers
Tough-guy dad and his twitchy emo son escape, through a dark forest of cliches, from a zero-affect nemesis named Stein. Hard not to plop a bust of Carl Jung on top of all this, but the story's actually quite entertaining, until things wind up in ultra-schlocky fashion at the finish.
Rachel Searcey
A mediocre tale at best, Pride and Joy gives you no reason to sympathize with any of the characters, except maybe the poor little girl stuck in the middle of this sappy and depressing plot. Typical of Ennis there is "violence for the sake of violence," rendered in grisly detail.

The plot basically centers around a manly widowed man (with a dark and disturbing past that comes back to haunt him) and his wussy teenaged son, who prefers reading and crying. I think there was supposed to be some fathe...more
Stephen
Seemed similar to true crime books, revenge novels and modern gangster movies I've seen, but spliced together in non-copyright violating ways. The art was not great. I got it on clearance and it didn't make the cut regarding my personal collection -- I'm donating it to the local library sale.
Stephen Theaker
Definitely not vintage Garth Ennis, this reads like a pale imitation of A History of Violence (which is a bit unfair, since they were published at about the same time). I found the ruminations on what makes a man less than convincing, though perhaps that was the idea.
I'm not a big Ennis fan -- usually I find his work boring, sexist, and the 'violence for the sake of violence' dull. However this story really captivated me. Too bad it is out of print and so hard to find, because I really enjoyed it.
J Higgins
Garth Ennis lets go of his needs for extreme perversion and general weirdness to tell and extremely human story about fatherhood, regret and redemption. If you like the Americana mythology of Preacher, you'll enjoy this immensely.
Angela
A Dad's violent past comes back to haunt him while he is trying to build a relationship with his grown son. This has some nice character moments in it, but is violent too. A thought provoking short read.
Timo
Sep 24, 2011 Timo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I remember being totally blown away when I read this first time. But what I had forgotten was how totally brilliant this is.
Touching, violent, funny and warm. Just the way only Ennis can do it.
Lee Threlkeld
nay bad, not great, but nay bad indeed.
Short, sharp morality tale from one of my favourite authors
Marc
Listen to my review on V for Vertigo, Episode 98 at http://vforvertigo.blogspot.com or on iTunes.
Claire
Slightly embarassed for Garth after reading this sappy tale.
Vanessa
I was kind of disappointed in this, particularly after reading a few volumes of "Preacher." The beginning of the story had a lot of promise: single father with two kids must escape mysterious past. And you don't exactly know what that past is, but you know that it involves someone who has a fascination with observing your entrails up close and personal.

And then I don't know what happened. Everything after that got so rushed that the back story ended up being some flash in the pan that didn't ev...more
Hugo Venegas
Hugo Venegas marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Fabricio Moura
Fabricio Moura marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Lucinda Powell
Lucinda Powell marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun