Start by marking “How They Met, and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
How They Met, and Other Stories

How They Met, and Other Stories

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  9,293 Ratings  ·  805 Reviews
Just in time for Valentine’s Day comes a confection from David Levithan that is sure to appeal to fans of Boy Meets Boy. Here are 18 stories, all about love, and about all kinds of love. From the aching for the one you pine for, to standing up and speaking up for the one you love, to pure joy and happiness, these love stories run the gamut of that emotion that at some ...more
Published January 8th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How They Met, and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How They Met, and Other Stories

Leela
Mar 03, 2008 Leela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gays, Lesbians and friends of those who are.
When I picked up this book, I wasn't expected it to be about gay relationships (there are some straight stories though), but I felt like I shouldn't put it down. Reading the story's, I usually had to wait until a page in to figure out if the narrator was a boy or a girl, which made me realize how love is love and a crush is a crush no matter your preferance. While there were some parts in the book where I cringed, there were others were I laughed. And although I am straight, I found myself ...more
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, ya-mg
"Starbucks Boy": Hilarious, clever, and sweet. 5/5

"Miss Lucy Had A Steamboat": I didn't really get this one, but I THINK it's about how one should respond to getting one's heart broken. 3/5.

"The Alumni Interview": Interviews for colleges are always varying degrees of awful. Add to it the awkwardness of the interviewer being your boyfriend's father and everything gets hilarious but even more awful. 5/5.

"The Good Witch": Painful prom story. 3/5.

"The Escalator, a Love Story": Rather meh. 3/5.

"The N
Claudia
Apr 09, 2008 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA fans with short attention spans
Shelves: ya-books, wishlist
Disclaimer -- I LOVE THIS MAN!! Every book I've read of Levithan has touched my heart. This collection of short stories began, he says, as a way to avoid an AP physics lesson. That story, "A Romantic Inclination," is so funny.

Levithan's characters search for someone to love...he believes in the power of love.

Favorite line: "every two people cause an intersection. Every person alters the world."
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

When you think about a book about romance, you think sweet, fluffy, fuzzy and emotional. But How They Met and Other Stories covered a whole spectrum of scenarios featuring love, not romance, from the closet gay, the unrequited love, the gay guy who is dating a female just for the sake of it, people who are just meant to be or couples who are just dating for the now. Most of these are teenagers, with the prom being a common s
Mika
Jul 04, 2012 Mika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Starbucks Boy" : Sweet, endearing, Arabella was awesome. Made me crave for coffee. 4/5

"Miss Lucy Had A Steamboat" : A complicated one, with twists and turns. A girl who is dealing -in her own way- with having her heart broken. Beautifully written. 3/5

"The Alumni Interview" : I especially loved the ending, it shows the need to stand out for yourself and for the people you love, no matter what (or who) is in front of you. 4/5

"The Good Witch" : Kind of funny, but also kind of boring. 3/5

"The Escal
Melissa
Feb 26, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I highly recommend this book. Not just for YAs, but for anyone who enjoys a good story about love. As explained in his author's note, each story was written for friends on Valentine's Day, and are for the most part in their original format (the tradition began when the author was in high school). Some of the stories will make you laugh, and some will make you sad, but all are completely enjoyable.
Theresa Flores
Sep 08, 2014 Theresa Flores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-review
"Love doesn’t have to be on Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be by the time you turn eighteen or thirty-three or fifty-nine. It doesn’t have to conform to whatever is usual. It doesn’t have to be kismet at once, or rhapsody by the third day.

It just has to be. In time. In place. In spirt.

It just has to be."

4.5 stars, to be more specific. How They Met And Other Stories is basically a collection of different love stories; a story of romance between a boy and a girl, a heartbreaking tale of t
Nikki
David Levithan did a good job with this collection of short stories. They're all about love, different kinds of teenage loves, and they definitely remind me of my teen relationships -- though I think the girl who plays with her lesbian/bisexual best friend's heart and will never quite get the signals unmixed is a pretty ubiquitous one. Still, there's defiant we're-gay-so-what love, dating because it's familiar and convenient love, bittersweet love... There are love stories with two boys, two ...more
Maria Eleynita
This book was a collection of short stories. Stories about relationships, heartbreak, disappointments and of course happy endings. Most of them were stories of same sex relationships. Some are straight stories but most of them were about you know lgbt's. Suprisingly i enjoyed these stories. I particularly love the story The number of people who meet on airplanes, i love this story. Also some stories about prom's are good.

This was a good read to start the new year. Cheers!
Dakota Vradenburg
Jul 12, 2012 Dakota Vradenburg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: college
I thought that this was a brilliant book. Oftentimes, I felt that these characters were real people that were writing their own stories. Stories that will now live on, whether in fame or infamy. I didn't find myself bothered by the fact that many of the stories were about homosexual relationships. In fact, as one reader has already said, it really does make you realize that love is a universal thing. Love is love is love and it doesn't matter how the parties associate themselves, all that ...more
Caitlin
I started this book thinking it would be a bunch of cute little love story of the usual kind. But I got a little bit of a surprise to find out the first story was about a gay boy. But I can live with some of that mixed in, I kept reading to find that out of 18 stories, 8 focused on gays or lesbians.

But they are all cute little stories about finding love and are worth the quick read. Some of my favorites (probably because they remind me of my self) are A Romantic Inclination and Without Saying.
Thayde
Mar 22, 2015 Thayde rated it it was amazing
comenze este libro con mucha emoción, porque he buscado libros cortos en inglés, para ponerlo en práctica, y este fue una elección perfecta. :D Diversas historias, de todo tipo, sobre amor. Diferentes personas, diferentes relaciones, diferentes situaciones bonitas y especiales, que te dejan un mensaje. La historia que más me gusto fue una historia sobre una pareja y un juego en unas escaleras automaticas, que aunque suene tonto cuenta una historia de como puede ser el darte cuenta que estas ...more
Kathleen
Dec 20, 2014 Kathleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: tt2014, novellas
It's a matter of preference. I have nothing against the writing nor the stories, but it all comes down to whether I enjoyed reading it or not. It's the latter. Suffice to say, I'm a conventional kind of girl I guess :)

I really loved the airplane story though. That was my favorite and it had my heart all gooey! The Romantic Inclinations was a good one too!
A cute selection of short love stories of all types. Some were a little odd or dull, but generally they were really endearing and enjoyable. Plus, great to see gay relationships explored as well as straight ones.
Heather
This collection of stories about love isn't my favorite of Levithan's books—I think his particular explorations of emotion and connection work best for me when they're novel-length. But because I already like his work, I'm glad I read this book, which does have its share of excellent moments. The eighteen stories collected here (most of which are prose but some of which are free verse) center, mostly, around young love (or young lust, or young heartbreak), both straight and queer. Levithan's ...more
Sara
Sep 19, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 tähteä

Ihanan söpö kirja. Osa tarinoista aivan ihania, mutta osa vain keskinkertaisia. Kokonaisuutena tykkäsin kuitenkin paljon. David Levithanin on kyllä yksinkertaisesti loistavä kirjailija.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
God, I loved this book. I laughed, I cried. So many sweet, beautiful, heart-breaking stories about love and relationships.

Recently I picked up How They Met which is a short story collection about love. There are 18 stories and the thing that I love most about this collection is how varied the stories are. They're all about love, yes, but so many different types of love. There are gentle, sweet stories. There is all-consuming and passionate stories. Some are sad, some are just beautiful.

I have
Ralala

Lovely collection of 'stories about love'

STARBUCKS BOY: 2/5 - realistic but a bit cliche

MISS LUCY HAD A STEAMBOAT: 3/5 - Story about heartbreak

THE ALUMNI INTERVIEW: 3/5 - Fun and Serious story about meeting the parents

THE GOOD WITCH: 2/5 - quite a mehh prom story

THE ESCALATOR, A LOVE STORY: 5/5 - loved this cute and short love story

THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO MEET ON AIRPLANES: 3/5 - okay and different

ANDREW CHANG: 1/5 - this one was very painful to read ..

FLIRTING WITH WAITERS: 3/5 - the age
Lauredhel
Mar 05, 2011 Lauredhel rated it really liked it
I'm on a Levithan kick at the moment - can you tell?

Like John Irving, Levithan includes a few common ingredients into most of his works. But instead of Austria and bears and incest, it's Jewishness, queerness, music, lust, and love.

Levithan is a 'true' YA writer, even in short stories managing to show us those moments of transition when a young character's world expands, when change is imminent. He captures adolescent moments of missed connections and almost-missed connections so vividly that y
Mica
Mar 21, 2015 Mica rated it did not like it
It bothers me that this book has actually good ratings on Goodreads. I'm losing hope in humanity (kidding). The writing was sloppy and shallow. Good thing the author indicated that he wrote the stories during high school. If not, I would lose my respect for Levithan as a writer. I loved Every Day which is why I was sort of expecting I would like this book as well. I didn't. The stories were awkward to read. Though I get what Levithan was trying to say, he was not able to convey it properly. Most ...more
Dominique
Nov 06, 2015 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these were great, some didn't interest me at all. My rating is more like 3.5 but I'm feeling generous and rounding it up to 4. Imo, there wasn't enough lesbians. If I remember correctly there was one lesbian story and it ended badly for the couple, whereas there were plenty of gay and hetero couples and idk there could have been more lesbians is all I'm saying.
Alex
This is an amazing book, one that all should read. It is a collection of short stories about people, relationships, that are not connected, but somehow intertwined. Levithan proves once again why he is a master story-teller. This book is one everyone should read, regardless of age, gender, creed, sexuality, or anything else.
Brenna
Sep 07, 2014 Brenna rated it did not like it
No. I understand this was his earlier work, much of which he said he did not re-edit for publishing purposes. But man, he probably should have.
Nik
Mar 01, 2015 Nik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, e-book
I have an exam tomorrow early morning. But I don't regret gulping this up one bit.

Full review to follow!
Terrence Louie
Jul 11, 2016 Terrence Louie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I've already skipped some chapters. And I don't think I could finish the whole thing. This is the second book I've read from the same author... And I think i've lost faith already.
Diem
Mar 14, 2014 Diem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The stories about love were beautiful and heartbreakingly real.
Luz
Jul 05, 2016 Luz rated it liked it
Lovely stories :)
Obelina Wang
Every two people cause an intersection. Every person alters the world.
Jenna
4.5 stars.

I love everything about this collection. Everything.
♔ Kristy ♔
Jan 12, 2016 ♔ Kristy ♔ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mature Audience
My Thought
4 stars

There is something I would like to mention before I go about my thoughts. If you haven't read the novel yet then I definitely recommend you to borrow it from your local library, loan it from a friend or buy it so you can mark the beautiful writing Levithan has to offer. It did be a perfect read for Valentine's Day. But if you've read the novel, then I certainly hoped you haven't missed out on his author's note. For the first time ever, I found myself enjoying reading an author's
  • Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • Up All Night: A Short Story Collection
  • The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2)
  • What They Always Tell Us
  • Awake
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • I'll Get There. It Better Be Worth the Trip
  • Hello, Groin
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...

“We'd said we'd keep in touch. But touch is not something you can keep; as soon as it's gone, it's gone. We should have said we'd keep in words, because they are all we can string between us--words on a telephone line, words appearing on a screen.” 371 likes
“You have to believe there are kisses and laughs and risks worth taking.” 299 likes