Start by marking “War Stories, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
War Stories, Volume 2

War Stories, Volume 2 (War Stories #2)

Bloody action. Black humor. Deadly horror. War the way it really was.

From the acclaimed writer of the hit series PREACHER, these are the finest war comics ever to see print in the modern age This volume showcases tales of a world at war in the North African desert, the skies over Germany, the battlefields of Spain and the waters of the North Atlantic.

Published March 1st 2006 by Vertigo (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about War Stories, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Stories, Volume 2

The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanOnward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru MizukiIt Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques TardiGoddamn This War! by Jacques TardiBarefoot Gen, Volume One by Keiji Nakazawa
War Comics
7th out of 121 books — 19 voters
A Little History of the World by E.H. GombrichBlack Cabs And Sleeping Policeman by Harry OliverDoctor Who by John LucarottiGood Words by William EdmondsHere We Go by Harry Ritchie
Recommended Books for PLC library
61st out of 86 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Tristan
Aug 18, 2016 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The utter lack of serious interest in -and mainstream commercial success of - war comics is something I (hopefully others join me in this) have decried Odin knows how many times. Here is a genre that contains the holy trifecta of what makes a story engaging (unflinching action, pathos, based on true events), yet it is one that consistently gets relegated to the background.

This sad state of affairs gets even more irksome when a great writer like Ennis (Preacher, Hellblazer) nearly always does his
Ari Eris
Feb 11, 2014 Ari Eris rated it really liked it
Man, Garth Ennis really knows how to tell a keep you on the edge of your seat. Tense, gritty, and rude, with top-notch art by classic Vertigo artists such as David Lloyd (V for Vendetta) and Gary Erskine (The Filth). If you enjoyed the Easter Rising and Vietnam chapters in Preacher and the Falkland Islands stuff from The Boys, this will be right up your alley. Here's hoping that someday we'll get an on-going World War II series from Ennis!
Sam Quixote
Aug 21, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Garth Ennis writes another book of simply incredible War stories in this second volume featuring an RAF bomber crew flying missions over Germany, a commando unit in Africa, a group of fighters taking shelter in a bombed out hole, and an RAF fight pilot facing incredible odds over the Arctic Ocean. Three of the four stories take place during WW2 while the other is set during the war preceding WW2, the Spanish Civil War.

To say this series is Garth Ennis' best work is an understatement - this isn'
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 Norman rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Very entertaining comics.

True stories from a variety of wars. Character driven simple straight forward art - I love David Lloyd's style - fluid blacks and shadowing

Some the EC comic endings were ok but still not disappointed - lovely stuff just what I like in a simple read
Ensley
Sep 11, 2013 Ensley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, war-comics
Another two volume collection of Garth Ennis's war stories. What ups the rating for Vol. 2 is the story "Condors" written by Ennis and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra, and set during the Spanish Civil War. Four men meet in a shell-hole on a battlefield in Spain: a downed Luftwaffe pilot, a pro-Franco Irish volunteer, a Republican communist volunteer from the US, and a Spaniard. As they wait for the battle to pass beyond them, each man tells his story, and the reader gets a look into the backgroun ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 16, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Garth Ennis defied my expectations with "War Stories," a collection WWII of tales. I was expecting something filled with machismo and bravado form a very masculine author, but Ennis delivered a psychologically intriguing, passionately anti-war and deeply compassionate collection of different stories.

With "War Stories, Vol. 2" Ennis continues on a successful path, crafting additional stories driven by character and political analysis. War is usually not my genre, but Ennis approaches it through i
Stephen Theaker
Jul 18, 2008 Stephen Theaker rated it really liked it
Four more great stories from Garth Ennis. My favourites were the story about catapult-launched planes, "Archangel", and the one about a prototype SAS squad, "The Reivers". I'm sure I can't be the only one who thinks Garth Ennis should do a monthly SAS comic. They turn up in just about everything he does...
Rick
Mar 08, 2012 Rick rated it it was ok
Unlike the first volume, I found a couple of the stories in this anthology very underwhelming (and, truly, boring). The art was also a tad less impressive on a couple of stories. Sequelitis strikes again.
Jim
Jan 05, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two of the chapters were ok, I thought. The art was average. Read it while riding on a long-distance bus trip, so perhaps I am not giving it a good shake, but overall I wasn't impressed.
Michael
Jul 25, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A lot more enjoyable than the first; I think Ennis realized he needs a little bit of the fantastic to make these narratives more compelling.
Donald
Jan 31, 2012 Donald rated it it was amazing
This second collection of WWII stories from Ennis carries on the quality of writing and art found in the first. Great, great, great.
Anthony
Feb 16, 2009 Anthony rated it really liked it

Better than the first volume, but still pretty dry for Ennis. Dry as in not as humorous or bloody.
Timo
Oct 24, 2011 Timo rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not as solid as the first offering of these war stories by Ennis. But still pretty damn good.
Eric
Oct 24, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two good, two average stories. Some interesting illustration work in several of the stories.
Stien
Mar 21, 2010 Stien rated it really liked it
great characters, honest, war, critical but respectful.
Sancaka
Sep 13, 2010 Sancaka rated it it was amazing
waaayyyy better than those commando comics..
Helen
Feb 21, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
outstanding
John somers
John somers marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Evan Seifert
Evan Seifert rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Dimitris
Dimitris marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Parker
Parker rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
STEEL99
STEEL99 marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Carletto
Carletto marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • The Private Eye #2
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • The Birth Caul
  • Normandy: A Graphic History of D-Day, The Allied Invasion of Hitler's Fortress Europe
  • DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising
  • Birth of a Nation
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

War Stories (4 books)