Start by marking “The White Order (Saga of Recluce)” as Want to Read:
The White Order (Saga of Recluce)

The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,499 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"Another entry in Modesitt's popular Recluce series, one that upholds the Saga's reputation for intelligence and increasing originality. . . . This volume in the series stands unusually well on its own as a classic and competent coming-of-age story".--"Booklist".
Library Binding
Published April 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published April 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The White Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Order

Bryan Brown
Apr 22, 2015 Bryan Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Nearly 300 years after the founding of the island nation of Recluse Cerryl a (probably) grey mage enters the scene. An orphan of a probable white mage he must find a place for himself in the world. The stalemate between the blacks of recluse, and the whites of Fairhaven has stood since the island was founded but is showing signs of beginning to fail.

Cerryl finds his way into the white order at Fairhaven as a student mage and begins to navigate both the complex internal politics but also the chan
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Recluse universe is based on an Order/Chaos balance. Some people have abilities to use these forces, generally one or the other, although there are a few Grays. Order is Black, Chaos is White. Order wielders tend to be healers & builders, Chaos users tend to destruction.

This is the 8th book written in the series & while Modesitt recommends the books be read in the order he wrote them, I'll agree only for the first read. On a re-read, I preferred them in chronological order. In that c
Kurtbg
The story of order and chaos continues. In the previous series those of order excelled in a rectors such as woodwork, smithing, and engineering. There's a focus on infrastructure throughout the series, specifically around roads. This book adds sewage to the list. You wouldn't think that fantasy books would focus on such "unfantastical" things but they do.

The main character usually is a male of Boy Scout like qualities Cerryl, follows the mold.

The ending was a bit of compared to the previous boo
Jeremy Preacher
Oct 01, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The White Order is probably my favorite Recluce book overall. It takes the (by this point) finely-honed coming-of-age story and uses it to flip all of the assumptions previously established by the series on their heads. (The motto of the Recluce series should probably be "It's more complex than that.") The White Order is set a few years before the earlier The Magic Engineer (which I also love) and follows one of the minor villains of that book, who also is referred to at various historically dis ...more
Gordon
Jan 08, 2014 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cerryl is not a too bad person and it was good to see a better side of the White Wizards. Unfortunately I was just never able to really enjoy the books because of previous books with the white wizards knowing that they will end up-being destroyed and controlling evil. The story and writing was good but just couldn't connect with the story as much as previous books.
Chris Catania
May 23, 2015 Chris Catania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I really enjoyed seeing the other side
Perry
Aug 09, 2013 Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After going along so long in this series, it's a really nice and interesting change of pace to suddenly see the world through the perspective of a white wizard, and to actually see that there's a lot more going on beneath the surface of them than has been represented thus far in the series.

It was a good and much needed change of pace.
Tim
Dec 18, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book and Colors of Chaos are one long story. Another coming-of-age story like the first book, The Magic of Recluce. Shows things from the white mage perspective. Since they have been pretty much the villians in the previous books, this is quite an eye opener and is extremely well done. And it's a really fun book.
Jaz
Feb 02, 2016 Jaz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like looooong fantasy epics
Recommended to Jaz by: a friend who loves sagas
Borrowed from a friend and just couldn't bear to finish it after slogging through a small chunk. Its just too densely packed and boring. And because it is so bloody huge it just kept looming and making me hate it.
I don't think I'm the correct audience for this book.
Loretta
Reread, third time I think. Originally I didn't want to read anything about the "evil" white wizards, but Cerryl totally drew me in. He is not like some of the magi, but walks a thin line throughout his life.
Heath
Feb 03, 2011 Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It helped that I had read "The Towers of the Sunset" before I read this story. It has mentioned about a dozen times throughout the story and was glad for the additional back story.
Jo
Jul 15, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A full review is forthcoming. This novel was amazing, and I intend to reread it before attempting a full write-up regarding it.
Leslie
Jul 06, 2008 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
By this point in the series, the books had become repetitive past the point of enjoyment, so I stopped reading them.
Iain Kaslar
May 29, 2013 Iain Kaslar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-e-modesitt-jr
probably my favourite of the recluce saga so far. Gives a whole new perspective to chaos wizards.
Jeffrey
Jan 07, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to be entertaining into the 8th book - a rare achivement
Vicki
Mar 03, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all Modesitt's books in the Recluse series! Very entertaining.
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Ruth Ann
Jan 13, 2009 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one and the Colors of Chaos are my 2nd favorites.
Nate
one more of the great series that i read
Leigh
Steve
Steve added it
Jul 23, 2016
Ljubo
Ljubo marked it as to-read
Rowayn
Rowayn rated it really liked it
Derick Smith
Derick Smith marked it as to-read
Anna Kvarnström
Anna Kvarnström rated it really liked it
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Donnie Buckles
Donnie Buckles marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
John Bjorkman
John Bjorkman rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
What's The Name o...: Fantasy - Boy apprentice of a saw mill [s] 20 56 Apr 03, 2013 03:58AM
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wizard's Treasure
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)