Start by marking “The White Order (Saga of Recluce)” as Want to Read:
The White Order (Saga of Recluce)

The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,574 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Another entry in Modesitt's popular Recluce series, one that upholds the Saga's reputation for intelligence and increasing originality. . . . This volume in the series stands unusually well on its own as a classic and competent coming-of-age story".--"Booklist".
Library Binding
Published April 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published April 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The White Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Order

Jim
The Recluse universe is based on an Order/Chaos balance. Some people have abilities to use these forces, generally one or the other, although there are a few Grays. Order is Black, Chaos is White. Order wielders tend to be healers & builders, Chaos users tend to destruction.

This is the 8th book written in the series & while Modesitt recommends the books be read in the order he wrote them, I'll agree only for the first read. On a re-read, I preferred them in chronological order. In that c
Kurtbg
The story of order and chaos continues. In the previous series those of order excelled in a rectors such as woodwork, smithing, and engineering. There's a focus on infrastructure throughout the series, specifically around roads. This book adds sewage to the list. You wouldn't think that fantasy books would focus on such "unfantastical" things but they do.

The main character usually is a male of Boy Scout like qualities Cerryl, follows the mold.

The ending was a bit of compared to the previous boo
Jeremy Preacher
The White Order is probably my favorite Recluce book overall. It takes the (by this point) finely-honed coming-of-age story and uses it to flip all of the assumptions previously established by the series on their heads. (The motto of the Recluce series should probably be "It's more complex than that.") The White Order is set a few years before the earlier The Magic Engineer (which I also love) and follows one of the minor villains of that book, who also is referred to at various historically dis ...more
Dave Page
I've read it several times. I tend to read Authors in a run and move onto a different author.

I've actually read another three of his since that one but forgot to record that I had started.

I'll mark them as reading and then read to keep the record updated.
Gordon
Cerryl is not a too bad person and it was good to see a better side of the White Wizards. Unfortunately I was just never able to really enjoy the books because of previous books with the white wizards knowing that they will end up-being destroyed and controlling evil. The story and writing was good but just couldn't connect with the story as much as previous books.
Perry
After going along so long in this series, it's a really nice and interesting change of pace to suddenly see the world through the perspective of a white wizard, and to actually see that there's a lot more going on beneath the surface of them than has been represented thus far in the series.

It was a good and much needed change of pace.
Tim
This book and Colors of Chaos are one long story. Another coming-of-age story like the first book, The Magic of Recluce. Shows things from the white mage perspective. Since they have been pretty much the villians in the previous books, this is quite an eye opener and is extremely well done. And it's a really fun book.
Loretta
Reread, third time I think. Originally I didn't want to read anything about the "evil" white wizards, but Cerryl totally drew me in. He is not like some of the magi, but walks a thin line throughout his life.
Heath
It helped that I had read "The Towers of the Sunset" before I read this story. It has mentioned about a dozen times throughout the story and was glad for the additional back story.
Jo
A full review is forthcoming. This novel was amazing, and I intend to reread it before attempting a full write-up regarding it.
Leslie
By this point in the series, the books had become repetitive past the point of enjoyment, so I stopped reading them.
Iain Kaslar
probably my favourite of the recluce saga so far. Gives a whole new perspective to chaos wizards.
Jeffrey
This series continues to be entertaining into the 8th book - a rare achivement
Vicki
I love all Modesitt's books in the Recluse series! Very entertaining.
Peter
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Ruth Ann
This one and the Colors of Chaos are my 2nd favorites.
Nate
one more of the great series that i read
Leigh
One of my favorites!
Rashmit Mishra
Rashmit Mishra marked it as to-read
Julian
Julian marked it as to-read
Deron
Deron added it
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Nauman
Nauman marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
What's The Name o...: Fantasy - Boy apprentice of a saw mill [s] 20 56 Apr 03, 2013 03:58AM
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Wizard's Treasure
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)